I know we've talked about bridges on the Oklahoma River for pedestrians. I saw this article about a park in San Mateo and I think it represents, in theme, what I was envisioning for the river. Bridges that, while very functional, also make an aesthetic statement and create landmarks that become attractions in and of themselves. Obviously, the Oklahoma river span is a bit bigger, but I think a series of fairly low key, yet graceful bridges, like this would really give the area a cohesive look and elevate its destination status.

Bridging design and function; Architecture of redone park invites citizens to the bay

With the eastern span of the Bay Bridge at least seven more years from completion, it's nice to know a bridge can rise promptly in the region -- at least a 40-yard-long footbridge in San Mateo.

In fact, it took less than a day to erect the steel arch that loops through the air near the spot in Ryder Park where San Mateo Creek enters San Francisco Bay.

But speed isn't the only reason to celebrate the recent completion of the San Mateo span. It is a bridge of pure functional elegance that is memorable without being self-indulgent. It also reminds us that public works projects don't need to play it safe. They can be distinctive as well as utilitarian, accenting the landscape in a way that makes it look even better.