Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
I find this to be untrue - quite a few people do notice and mind if there are sound problems and there are some that won't go back to a place with bad acoustics after having been there once. And bands certainly notice and mind if they sound bad while playing in one of those venues.

As far as comparing the Civic Center to Cain's - it's *very* similar to comparing the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago to Martyr's. One has seats and politely clapping patrons with a little bit of energy and the other has people standing (and some sitting at tables), clapping loudly with lots of energy. I've seen a guitarist play both places in Chicago and he really didn't like playing at Old Town - he said it was too stuffy, he feeds off the energy of the crowd, etc. Way back, I saw a few bands at the Civic Center, but it wasn't the ideal place to see a band.
I wasn't talking about bands. Like you said, a few people may notice or care, but most don't. They're just there to rawk. Besides, acoustics at the events center aren't that bad, just not choice. I'm not impressed with Cain's acoustics at all, but bands continue to play there, because it's all about the history and they can't pull a bigger audience.

Since the Civic Center remodel the sound is high quality and the concerts I have gone to sounded great, which I think is most important in a live setting. As far as atmosphere and energy goes, that has alot to do with the unpredictable attitude of the crowd as much as venue. I was impressed with how enjoyable seeing a band at the Civic Center can be. I wasn't comparing it to Cain's specifically. I think it would be interesting to see some "Cain's bands" at the Civic Center, though. Such as Wilco, etc. Whatever "Cain's bands" means in 2011. Since Kesha was recently scheduled to play there. Now moved to the Brady due to high ticket sales. (In case you're into that kinda thing.)