Widgets Magazine

Thread: Real OKC snow routes?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Real OKC snow routes?

This might be the place to post this according to the new forum realignment, but not sure...

Does anybody have a list of the *real* OKC snow routes that get plowed completely clean (as in all lanes on each direction)? Going by the map they have up on their site and juxtaposing that with reality today, they don't match. Yes, I know this is a once in a lifetime blizzard, but that's really not true - we've had 3 of them in the past 14 months. Yes, I know they only have 15-20 plows, but if you can't plow all your snow routes, then un-designate some streets as snow routes. Yes, I know they have limited crews, but it just seems like they're not following through, they do a once-over and then they're done until it melts by itself. They really need to keep plowing until they're clear, all lanes, each way, on each snow route - snow's been done for over 48 hours, wind's been calm for a day, yet the "snow routes" I took today were just horrible. May was in bad shape, mostly one lane each way from NW 164th to NW 122nd, NW 122nd was the same way, but worse between May and MacArthur. MacArthur was pathetic between NW 122nd and NW Expressway. This evening traffic was backed up westbound on NW 122nd between May and the Parkway (luckily I was going eastbound). Wife reported that downtown streets that were supposed to be snow routes weren't plowed very well at all as of noon today, so downtown snow routes on the map may not be valid either. Not completely sure which streets she takes, but she said she knew which ones were supposed to be snow routes that were plowed, but they turned out to be in sad shape, and one was completely impassable.

I know that I'm going to get jumped on for posting this, but maybe we can figure out what the *real* snow routes are that OKC plows for future blizzards, and yes, there will be future blizzards like this one at some point. OKC (via twitter) says they're still plowing, but apparently not on the routes I've driven today.

It's just really dangerous with all the idiot drivers that think they can barrel through the unplowed lanes, then end up f-ing up everybody else and themselves too with accidents, injuries, etc. And it's just going to get worse as more and more people decide to get out.

I'm not really posting this to be completely negative, but in the hopes of compiling a list of snow routes that have actually, in real life, been plowed the way they're supposed to be rather than relying on a semi-fictitious map so folks can possibly use this info to get around. Anybody want to start? I don't know of any, but maybe others do...
    Last edited by TheTravellers; 02-03-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Added info about downtown snow routes

Thread Information