Sorry, guys, I was out of town the past few days, and haven't had much time to add to the forum.

Anyways, I thought this announcement that was made today was great regarding Dell. Obviously, I don't want to see all office space built on the Oklahoma River, but I think a mix of nice office campuses (similar to what's being built along Memorial Rd. east of Hefner Parkway), and apartments, restaurants, and retail would be great!

I just hope Dell's campus is more in line with what we see at Chesapeake, and not a one or two story structure. A 4 story, or even taller office complex would look nice. Something built like Chesapeake would look nice along the river, since we're wanting to create both an urban and a residential feel!!!

Having Dell locate on the Oklahoma River would sure give the company an OKC presence!!!!

Anyways, it's not a done deal, but I thought it was interesting.

What do you guys think?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the article:

"Council to discuss Dell package

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett will meet with council members today in executive session to discuss a proposed incentives package aimed at luring Dell Inc. to build a computer sales center along the south shore of the Oklahoma River.

Cornett said the company is mulling locations in Norman and Oklahoma City, but he thinks a decision will be finalized within two weeks.

Incentives being discussed include the city building roads, sewer lines and other infrastructure, and donating land owned by the Oklahoma City Riverfront Redevelopment Authority. The property also is in the city's Federal Empowerment Zone, making it eligible for tax-free bond financing, employment tax credits and other federal assistance.

"We're not any closer to a deal than we were last week," Cornett said. "But since we meet only every two weeks right now, I felt it important to discuss this with the council now."

Cornett visited Dell's Austin, Texas campus Friday, and saw how the possible location of up to 3,000 employees along the river might spark development along the urban waterway.

Cornett said the proposed city site would involve about 60 acres of city-owned land along the river, which previously was known as the North Canadian River.

"I think we've got the best site," Cornett said. "And with a development of this size, you would think there would be additional development nearby."

Pat Downes, development director for the riverfront authority, also emphasized a deal isn't final but added a waterfront site would be a significant boost to the city's effort to restore the river.

The city and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers have spent more than $52 million the last few years to build dams, trails and parking lots, and to add landscaping and wetlands to the once-blighted seven-mile stretch.

A master plan for the riverfront suggests adding housing along the waterway a possibility that is enhanced by the creation of hundreds of jobs in the same area, Downes said.

"By creating jobs in the corridor, demands for housing and services would be forthcoming," Downes said. "And things of this nature can add a lot of credibility to what we're trying to accomplish."