Many of you may have questioned in the past what the difference is between an optometrist, commonly found next to optical stores and in malls and shopping centers, and ophthalmologists, found in the medical setting in clinics and hospitals. Well, an optometrist goes to optometry school for 4 years and learns mostly about performing general eye exams and fitting people with glasses or contacts. On the other hand, ophthalmologists are medical doctors (MD's) who are trained in diseases of the eye and eye surgery.
In the past the MD's have questioned whether or not optometrists should be allowed to perform laser eye correction and other laser surgical procedures. The state has allowed them access to many of these procedures.

I personally don't feel that optometrists have the full training to be performing some of these more complicated surgeries. I think these should be reserved for the better trained ophthalmologist. My eyes are important and I'd never let an optometrist operate on my eyes.

What do you think?

---------------
"Eye-care providers battle over procedure

By Kirsten McIntyre
NEWS 9

The following is a script from a NEWS 9 broadcast

A battle is brewing at the State Capitol tonight. The issue? The health of your eyes, and whether a state law puts you at risk.

Throughout the years, the fight between optometrists and ophthalmolgists has become a political one.

It's involved lawmakers, the attorney general's office, and now the governor's office.

The battle all centers around one issue: Who's allowed to perform surgeries in Oklahoma, and who's not?

Dr. Larry Henry has been practicing as an optometrist for more than a decade.

He says he's performed hundreds of laser procedures with no problems.

But Dr. Cindy Bradford and other ophthalmologists are concerned about two state laws that allow optometrists to perform certain laser surgeries.

And, Dr. Bradford says, the new rules being considered at tonight's board of optometry meeting open the door to more than a 100 new eye procedures that she says optometrists aren't trained to perform.

She's not alone in her concerns. The Oklahoma State Medical Association has joined the fight.

I spoke with Gov. Henry's office this afternoon. A spokesperson tells me the governor has been working with both sides, trying to reach a compromise.

When that didn't happen, the optometrists decided to move forward with the new rules.

If they approve them tonight, they'll be sent to the governor. He will then have 45 days to approve or reject them."