Construction bids on Oklahoma road to rev up for next project
By Don Gammill
Published: February 1, 2010

It won’t be long until the next major movement begins on one of the city’s busiest roadways.

Any news on when we can expect the Interstate 44/I-235 interchange project to resume? I remember that the next phase was to be in the northwest quadrant of the intersection.

Russell

It won’t be long, Russell. That’s the word from Cole Hackett of the state Transportation Department.

"Additional improvements to the Broadway Extension (U.S. 77)/I-235/I-44 corridor, following the recently completed project at Broadway Extension at Memorial Road, will start later this year,” Cole said.

"The next project will take place in the northwest quadrant of the I-44/I-235 interchange and will construct a new ramp from southbound I-235 to westbound I-44. This project is scheduled to go out for bid this summer.

"Then in 2011, a project to widen Broadway Extension and construct new roadway and railroad bridges at 50th Street is scheduled. We are currently working with the railroad company and project designers to solidify plans for this project.

"Subsequent projects on the corridor in following years will construct longer ramps and new flyover ramps at Broadway Extension/I-235 and I-44, as well as improve frontage roads and complete the widening of Broadway Extension/I-235 between 36th Street and Edmond.”

By the way ...

As with any roadwork along a road that carries the same volume of traffic as the Broadway Extension, you’re going to see — unfortunately — those who follow too close, drive too fast, or otherwise display a lack of skills.

Don’t be one of them. We’ll all be safer. And that includes the crews working in those areas.

Enjoy your week and drive safely.

NewsOK