There was a rumor recently on this forum that Del Rancho was closing. Quite the contrary. They're expanding.

-----------
"Del Rancho continues to expand

By Tricia Pemberton
The Oklahoman

After 46 years in business in Oklahoma, Del Rancho Drive Ins are expanding to Texas, and they are still family owned.
James Burchett, a grandson of the original owners, will open Del Rancho No. 19 in Allen, Texas, in July. Grandson Michael Burchett opened the No. 18 drive-in in December along State Highway 152 in Mustang.

Grandsons Todd and Scott Jones own their own stores, as well. Rosamond Holt said the fourth generation is coming to work in the family restaurant business and bucking to open their own stores.

Rosamond Holt said she never intended to get into the restaurant business. The idea was her husband's.

"We were in the real estate business for 15 years, but he wanted to get into the restaurant business," the 85-year-old said.

What really happened, however, was the now-deceased J.R. Holt bought a restaurant, put Rosamond to work in it, and he went back to real estate.

When they opened a second location, Rosamond Holt put her foot down.

"I told him he had to get out of the real estate business," she said.

Not until the couple opened their third restaurant did J.R. Holt finally sell the real estate business and become a full-time restaurateur.

That first restaurant, at 3300 S Western, was originally the Ranch House. The nearest competitor was The Hamburger Spot.

"Everyone told us the Spot was so busy with the kids, we'd never make it. But they're closed and we're still here," Rosamond Holt said.

The second restaurant, in Del City, became Del Rancho. From there, the couple opened two more restaurants and started to sell franchises.

And Rosamond Holt started to like the restaurant business.

"I fooled myself. I really liked being out with the people," she said.

Pretty soon J.R. Holt was making up his own recipes -- the original Steak Sandwich Supreme, which still draws loyal customers; the Chuck Burger; and the Texas Burger.

"People would flock from miles around," Rosamond Holt said. "We had good food and good service."

Though the Holts sold and later rebought several of their franchises, by the time their daughter Rosamond was born, the food business was in their blood.

Rosamond Jones said she grew up at Del Rancho, even meeting her future husband at the drive-in.

"I first went to work as a carhop when I was about 16," Jones said.

Jones' pastor was the one who brought Kelly Jones by the drive-in to meet her. Once the two were married, they started opening their own Del Ranchos, spreading the chain as far as Clinton and Tahlequah.

At one time, the couple owned 16 Del Rancho stores. Now, their four sons own their own Del Ranchos and nonfamily members own other franchises.

"I got tired, I've been doing this since I was 16," Rosamond Jones said.

Michael and Todd Burchett said they started carhopping at about 8 years old -- almost before they could see over car doors.

"I was just in it for the girls," Todd Burchett said.

Some employees have their own memories of the drive-in.

Employee Virginia Redmond said her mother worked for Del Rancho 38 years ago. She's now following in her footsteps.

"My mom and dad fell in love at Del Rancho, so I heard all the stories," Redmond said.

And despite the number of McDonald's, Burger Kings, Wendy's and other chains that have risen around them, family members said they have never been worried about competition.

Rosamond Holt said they sold their first hamburger for 25 cents. When McDonald's came in 1964, they sold burgers for 15 cents.

"Everyone said they'd break us, but we never felt it. We have a different menu. No one else has a steak sandwich like ours. We still hand make our onion rings. The competition has never really bothered us," Rosamond Holt said.

Most Del Ranchos now have inside seating in addition to the original curb-side dining.

The Allen, Texas, restaurant will be the biggest in the chain, seating 110."