As I've been watching the Olympics, I've been thinking about how Oklahoma City would be a great fit. I mean, the sports scene in OKC is top notch. Sure, there aren't any professional teams, but the teams we do have are the top in the nation in their respective sports. Plus, with Norman nearby, the possibilities are that much greater.

My plan to bring the 2024 summer Olympic games to OKC would include a metro area team effort. Each suburb would have to take on the resonsibility of building venues for at least 2 or 3 or more of the sports. Each suburb should have some connection to the sport as to make it a matter of personal pride for their city. The plan would center around downtown OKC which would have the main athletic complex as well as Olympic Stadium and Olympic Village (where the athletes live for two weeks).

For example, Edmond, home of Shannon Miller, could commit to building the gymnastics hall. Edmond could also prep UCO's football field to host soccer. Del City has an archery range at Trosper Park. They could build the required facilities around the range to make it Olympic quality. Lake Hefner or Arcadia could be used for sailing. Norman, in conjunction with OU, could host several events in their different facilities. And so on...

OKC would build Olympic Stadium for all track and field events as well as the opening and closing ceremonies (Also, if there is no NFL team by then, this would finally be the lure!). OKC would also host the rowing competitions on the Oklahoma River. The Brick would be the baseball headquarters. The Ford Center and Cox Convention Center could be used for various events as well.

Once the Olympics had completed, OKC would always be in the history books as well as on the sports map. Each venue could host yearly national and world championships or at least be on the tour. Plus, there are plenty of high schools and colleges that could use many of the facilities.

Finally, the Olympic Village would be situated on the Oklahoma River. It needs to be an apartment complex essentially, so the athletes could live there for two weeks. When they're gone, hello residential neighborhood. "The Olympic Village Apartments".

A rail transit system from Edmond, to downtown, to Norman and from El Reno, to Yukon, the Airport, downtown, Del City and Midwest City would connect most of the venues as well as give many Oklahoma Citians what they want in public transit.

Obviously there is a lot of money involved, there would need to be a lot of venues built, roads widened, hotels built... But, I really think the metro area would rally around something like this. And as much positive activity is going on here now, can you imagine if the city announced a bid for the 2024 Olypics over the next few years, just to stir up even more development.

Yes, I'm a dreamer. But this could work.

Luke