Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
Talk about the role of government all you want, but, without the role of government being played out vis a vis the model of Ron Norick, today in the hands of Mick Cornett, you'd not be enjoying the vibrancy this city enjoys today, not only of downtown and Bricktown and the river, but more importantly the enormous change of perception of what Oklahoma Citians thought about themselves. In the past 2+ decades, Oklahoma City has gone from a city apologizing for itself to a vibrant and growing city busting its buttons with pride.
Credit is certainly due to the taxpayers who approved the amazing projects. Definitely a leap of faith. Thankfully some trustworthy true visionaries were some of the leaders at that time.

I like that "role of government" and it want it to continue into the NEXT century! Principle is a good thing. Figuring out which "principles" to pursue is not easy. I know that this is easy for me to say, but, I'll say it anyway: "Trust me" when I say, but for the role of government that has existed since 1993, you would NOT likely be the huge fan that you are of Oklahoma City today, because the Oklahoma City you know today would not exist. I want my children and grandchildren to continue to reap the benefits of the "role of government" that emerged with Mayor Ron Norick. Mistakes will be made, they always are. But, pursuit of the vision of what this city can be will be the driving force, and the March 4 vote is part of that vision.
I see your point. And I love the fact that visionaries were in place in order for the wonderful projects to take place. However, relying on government for these visionary ideas to take place isn't necessary.

I'm seriously saddened to hear your choice, because, at your age, you and your ideas represent what may lie ahead for this city after I'm dead but while my children and grandchildren survive. I want them to share in what has become and what this city will yet come to be.
Your assumption is that only the government can come up with good ideas for this city. Thankfully, VERY good ideas will come about from people who won't be given free tax money! Don't be sad! Fiscal prudence is something that may well keep this city alive even longer! Also, don't be disheartened! Visionaries are in every generation and there are plenty of visionaries who will not rely on government for dreams to come true.

By the way, growing up in Sulphur, we would come to OKC several times a month for fun. So even when I was very young I always had an adoration for OKC. Through my high school years I'd drive up to Blazers games with friends. I loved OKC before MAPS.