Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
^^ That was enjoyable but back to the subject....

I think a huge part of the problem most everywhere is cities sticking in non-thinking and non-demand (timed cycle) traffic lights at neighborhood feeder and shopping centers. These should ALL be on-demand lights so the main streets are always on green unless a vehicle is at the side-street. One of my major pet-peeves is having to stop at a traffic signal for absolutely no reason.
I agree. I often think most of those lights you're describing need to turn into alternate blinking yellow/red after a certain hour. For example, after 8 or 9PM have those lights start flashing red for the side streets and yellow for the through arterial way and stay that way until like 6:45 or 7 the following morning.

Look at the Kohl's traffic signal on Santa Fe maybe 200 feet north of Danforth. That in itself if a farce given how close it is to a major intersection. I stop at that light just about every single time I drive through there only to stop at Danforth (or having had been stopped there.) Same with the light on Kelley Ave over in front of the Lowe's.

And speaking of the Danforth and Santa Fe intersection -- including the traffic signal at that intersection, there are five full traffic signals within a quarter mile of that intersection. They are not timed at all.