Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
I have no idea how this is going to all turn out. I really hope that someone steps up to buy the soccer team from Funk and McLaughlin. I'm pretty sure that the city would at least listen if the present owners asked about leasing the ballpark for games. I say this because back in the day, before it all fell apart, Rayo was talking to the city about playing games there. If they really wanted to play they could invest in a modular playing surface like Nexxfield. Rayo, like the Energy, also played on a HS football field with a running track around it. But one of the owners, Sean Jones, bought a Nexxfield playing surface that was laid OVER the football field, stretching onto the running track, making it a regulation-sized pitch. So much water has gone under the bridge at this point. It's sad for me to think about 2104, before all the craziness happened, when 3,000 of us showed up at a parking lot in Bricktown to watch the US play in the World Cup. I really thought THAT was evidence that we would be a huge success if we ever got a team. Looking back now, like I said, it's just sad. Apologies to Laramie, I really don't have a lot to offer to this discussion. We'll see what happens.
IMO the ownership of Rayo would have been a much better fit for soccer. Now Rayo was originally scheduled for the NASL of which the
original Tulsa Roughnecks played back in the late 70s and early 80s. Swake and US Rufnex probably have more info on that league since
Tulsa was a member. Borchard's illustration below shows that a regulation fix can fit in the ballpark.

Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark
much like Tulsa's ONEOK Field could be used for soccer using their mound modifications allowing
for leveling the playing surface. Some temporary bleachers in the open space (left 500 seats) could easily put the capacity in the
12,500 - 13,500 range removingthe tarp covered seats.

How long will the Funks hold on to the USL franchise . . . Our MAPS 4 Stadium isn't scheduled to break ground until 2025,