Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
^

I always think of how Texas promotes itself and very effectively...

They are all over the cowboy image, BBQ, the rough-and-tumble type of thing because that is a big part of what makes them so unique. And in no way does it detract from their progress and the massive amount of modern development. The two work together.

As cities and states start to look more and more similar (everyone has the same big-box stores, hotels and similar restaurants) we need to distinguish ourselves and our Native American roots and the Land Run (with all its warts and transgressions) are truly unique and incredibly interesting.

The OKC Chamber has adopted a new promotional campaign called 'The Modern Frontier'. It's a good start and references Native American and Western culture. We need to do more of that. I also liked the license plates that proclaimed Oklahoma as 'Native America'.

Now that the First Americans Museum is open and done to incredibly high standards, time to double down on this identity.
I totally agree Pete, we-OKC needs to better market itself and more than just "we ahve the Thunder". So do other major cities. No, we need to take pride and market OKC on what makes it unique not what makes it the same as other big cities; that's obvious and EXPECTED.

However, I cringe when I hear Modern Frontier or just frontier in general. Was OKC ever part of the wild-wild west? A quick definition check indicates frontier to be a border area; which OKC is not. The second definition "extreme limit of settled land" is still not accuate - to me Frontier would be New Mexico or Arizona, a SW kind of notion or especially the Oklahoma panhandle!!!! Dodge City KS area.

OKC is more Midwest and South or as we all say now South Central; nothing Frontier about it. Now I know as a state we call OKC area as the original Frontier because it was unassigned lands with regard to original and native relocations deemed by Congress. But maybe a better definition would fit OKC than Frontier. I'm not sure what it is but something celebrating our Indian heritage that Pete's thinking is what I'd recommend. What word would come to mind? Frontier does not.