What's your opinion of this article. Personally, I never liked the idea of moving I-40 so far away from downtown, but at least they're trying to make it unique.

What do you think?

I-40 bridges may cross art's path

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

Motorists on the new Interstate 40 Crosstown Expressway won't get a great view of the downtown skyline -- but latest designs include decorative bridge railings aimed at making the drive less monotonous.
Construction is expected to start in the fall on the $350 million project.

This computer drawing shows planned improvements to the Shields
Boulevard Bridge that connects south and north Oklahoma City. The
bridge may be decorated with symbols of the railroad industry.

For the past two years, architect Anthony McDermid has worked with community leaders to make the highway more than just another stretch of asphalt.

"We've been listening to a lot of ideas and a lot of expectations for something unique and special for our new highway," said McDermid, lead partner in TAParchitecture.

The latest concepts, paid for by the Oklahoma Transportation Department, propose making each bridge over the highway a symbol of the surrounding area.

At Robinson Avenue, motorists might pass under a bridge adorned with a representation of Oklahoma City's skyline. The Walker Avenue bridge could be decorated with roses representing the nearby Latino community and its Little Flower Catholic Church.

Images of rail cars might cross along the facade of the Shields Boulevard crossing, which is near a rail yard.

"This is the first blush of this concept," project engineer John Bowman said. "We'll be looking at safety, maintenance and all the various issues that could be involved. "

Little time remains, he said, for deciding what enhancements will be added to ensure the highway can be a source of pride for the city and state.

With the latest federal appropriation of $24 million, the Transportation Department has $129.7 million to spend on designs, engineering and the start of construction.

The $350 million project calls for rerouting the highway along the path of the Union Pacific Railroad a few blocks south of downtown. The current highway, including the elevated portions, would continue to be used between Walker Avenue and May Avenue. The road would be converted into a boulevard that would become a surface road east of Walker and continuing into Bricktown.

Bowman said he expects construction to begin this year on highway and railroad bridges that will allow for pedestrian access between Bricktown and the Oklahoma River (formerly the North Canadian River).

Completion of the project, including the boulevard, won't be certain until the state can obtain at least another $200 million in federal money.

Bowman said every effort will be made to include enhancements and mitigation improvements called for in an agreement by city leaders to drop opposition to the new highway alignment.

The portions of the highway submerged underground will include architectural features on retaining walls similar to the Little Flower Catholic Church.

Other previously discussed enhancements, including old-fashioned railroad trestles at Shields Boulevard, are less likely to make the final design, Bowman said.

Funding, and the willingness of the city to maintain them, may determine the look of the bridge facades. The facades could be attachments that will stand out over the span through the use of structural fittings or be incorporated into the railings.

Members of the design committee preferred the more unusual approach of images popping up over the bridge railings.

"It's pretty impressive there's a lot of eye-opening stuff," architect Jim Hassenbeck said. He said he would disagree with one or two of the facade designs, notably one featuring flowers that he compared with images of the 1970s.

Dean Schirf, vice president for government relations at the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce, praised the designs calling for reproduction of the downtown skyline at Robinson Avenue.

"The skyline is great it sets us apart," Schirf said.

Dave Lopez, president of Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., agreed. "It will let people coming into our town know it's one that sees itself differently," he said.

Most agreed the proposed designs could advance Oklahoma City's I-40 corridor to the level of detail found at the widely praised "Big I" in New Mexico, where I-40 crosses Interstate 25 in downtown Albuquerque.

"I think this could be a draw," said Jan Hook, a board member of Oklahoma City Beautiful. "People might actually come to drive under these bridges. I think it could increase tourism and be a real asset for our city."