Quote Originally Posted by AnguisHerba View Post
As a resident of this area, the ability to walk and bike around this area more safely could make it way more urban. Adding infrastructure around NW Expressway for walking and biking would be a godsend. Just try to walk from NW 39th and Classen and Penn Square Mall and you'll see how it's nearly impossible to get around by foot on concrete. And there are so many amenities around the area which make it ripe for pedestrian activity.
There is not even a sidewalk along 39th between Classen and Penn, and I see people walking in the grass or street almost every day.

I'm very happy to say that they recently added sidewalks along Penn up to and past NW Expressway and they have been adding the same through my residential streets.

But good luck trying to cross NW Ex at Villa on foot. It's almost laughable; it's like they designed that intersection specifically to stop people from doing just that. There isn't even a push-button crosswalk thing and the last time I tried it, I crossed with the green and it changed to red before I could even reach the other side, which means you basically have to stop in the median and wait for a 2nd green light, which is eternal. This is particularly egregious because the very popular Belle Isle Libary is at that intersection, meaning all the good people who live south of NW Expressway -- some only a block or two away -- can only get there by car.