Widgets Magazine

Thread: Research Park - Future Expansion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Patrick Guest

Lightbulb Research Park - Future Expansion

Well, since there's not a lot of news, I guess it's time to get on my soap box again.

With construction nearing completion at the research park (construction has started on a final segment of the complex - the Cytovance Phamaceutical Plant), I think it's time to begin thinking about future expansion opportunities. Space is filling up at recently completed Buildings #3 and #4 (the 5th building is the food court), and construction at the Stanton L. Young Phase II Research Building is nearing completion. The biotechnology business is booming in our city, and in years to come, more space will be needed to house research labs.

This need for expansion will require additional space for development. Obviously, after the Cytovance building is completed, the current tract of land at the research park will be fully developed. We might be able to squeeze one extra building on the south side, but for the sake of overall beauty of research park grounds, we may want that to remain a park like setting.

So, where to expand? And why whould we expand?

Well, the latter question is obvious. As long as there is a demand for the growing biotechnology field in our city, we should accomodate. The Presbyterian Health Foundation went out on a limb building the first few buildings, with few solid comittments to fill them. For a couple of years, the first building remained partially empty, and many were wondering if the dream of a research park would ever come true. Push ahead about 7 years. The dream has become a reality, with companies like Dianon Systems, Genzyme, and Cytovance anchoring the complex, and all 5 buildings nearing complete occupancy.

To the other question. Where? As I've already stated, most of the original tract of land is developed. I propose that we expand the research park north, across N. 8th St. from the current complex, just west of the OBI. There is currently an empty tract of land west of the OBI and south of Ratcliffe's bookstore (a place I've spent hundreds of dollars in); this land is ripe for development, providng a great opportunity for an expansion of the research park. This expansion should take the original goals for the research park to a higher level. Instead of focusing on structures alone, the expansion plan should pay special attention to every fine detail, with an emphasis on uniqueness and the creative class. I propose diverse architecture, a park-like courtyard with fountains in the middle, and gardens galore, all surrounded by 4-5 story research buildings similar to those across the street, only laced with architectural creativity. Obviously, these buildings (which would mostly serve individual research labs and local companies) should be intermixed with patches of undeveloped property, providing an opportunity to lure other large pharmaceutical companies to our state. We should encourage individual researchers to join together to form multi-million dollar local research corporations, similar in nature to the origins of once Oklahoma-based UroCor.

I firmly believe that as medicine progresses, biotechnology will be the field we need to explore and expand. With oil becoming a sign of our past economy, we must make biotechnology the new anchor for our local economy. I firmly believe in the saying, "build it, and they will come." Only if we plan with a vision, will biotechnology have such an impact on our city.
    Last edited by Patrick; 01-14-2005 at 11:04 AM.

Thread Information