It has been years since I regularly watched "The Weather Channel," and browsing through the guide the other day, I noticed that there were blocks of its programming now identified as "Weather Underground." When I actually decided to watch it for a few minutes, I noticed that the entire theming of the channel now seems to be oriented more toward the WeatherUnderground property (even down to the #wuusa hashtag) while the "Weather Channel" theming was limited to just the logo at the bottom next to the "mini forecast" icons.

I know there's all kinds of history between recent acquisitions/sales of TWC, WU, NBC/GE, and the like, but I can't say I heard anything about TWC getting rebranded. I wonder if this is a formal notion to leverage the old WeatherUnderground name as a broader weather media platform or if perhaps the TWC name doesn't carry the same "name power" it might have previously. Anyway, the theme change seemed deliberate and I was curious if anyone had heard anything more specific about it.