Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saving Grace back on lastnight.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Saving Grace back on lastnight.

I didn't watch any of the show's first season, but my wife is a big fan of the show so I ended up watching the show last night. Everything happened in Bricktown it seemed, but the Paseo was mentioned a time or two. I got a chuckle when one of the actors mentioned, "our mayor's putting this city on a diet".

Since I've never seen the show before, I was surprised to see how many OKC references were included. I mean, I knew the show was based in OKC, but it seemed like lines and props were used just to remind you it was in OKC.

Like the "diet" thing, I was amazed at how many OKC references were thrown out. Maybe one day, we'll find that Grace posts on an OKC message board like this one. Who knows, she may even despise second-rate developers in Bricktown.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Default Re: Saving Grace back on lastnight.

I just wish the writer of this show had a better clue of what OKC really is and the images/adversity we've overcome. I know she visited last year after being requested to get a better feel of the city after many complaints of the too hickish portrayal on TV. But I still don't think this lady gets OKC. I am grateful though for a TV series finally about OKC.

3. Default Re: Saving Grace back on lastnight.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I just wish the writer of this show had a better clue of what OKC really is and the images/adversity we've overcome. I know she visited last year after being requested to get a better feel of the city after many complaints of the too hickish portrayal on TV. But I still don't think this lady gets OKC. I am grateful though for a TV series finally about OKC.
    lol...Oklahoma IS hickish. Even downtown. It's 100x better than it was 20 years ago...But we're a long way from shedding that.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    lol...Oklahoma IS hickish. Even downtown. It's 100x better than it was 20 years ago...But we're a long way from shedding that.
    Perhaps you're correct in your statement, but how "hickish" is defined is completely subjective. I don't want to speak on metro's behalf, but I think he was referring to the deliberate drawl and mannerisms of the people on the show, most of which bear no resemblance to the citizens of OKC.

If I go to NYC, you might be able to tell I'm not from town, but I'm not going to stick out like a sore thumb. The characters on this show would stand out, even in Oklahoma.

I don't know if she is a writer, but the creator, Nancy Miller, is from OKC. I'm not sure if the hickish portrayals are incorporated as a lame attempt to add flair to the characters or to remind the viewers that the show is set in OKC.

6. Default Re: Saving Grace back on lastnight.

I was trying to remember, but wasn't the storyline about the police dog jumping off the bridge taken from something that happened here a few years ago? Does anyone have any links to the OKC news story? Or did I just imagine it?

7. Default Re: Saving Grace back on lastnight.

Quote Originally Posted by theilluminatedfirefly View Post
    I was trying to remember, but wasn't the storyline about the police dog jumping off the bridge taken from something that happened here a few years ago? Does anyone have any links to the OKC news story? Or did I just imagine it?
    You're not imagining it. I remember that story, too. Unfortunately, I don't have a link.

Quote Originally Posted by theilluminatedfirefly View Post
    Ajo a K9 Dog from the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office jumped from an overpass and survived.

YouTube - Tribute to AJO

Can't shed it when every major national news worthy event that happens here (like the weather) has comments from the "locals" usually ones with teeth issues and a HUGE drawl.

let's see ...
    molester got away with it for ages ... check
    long ago victim gets riled ... check
    dead molester ... check
    long ago victim knows a cop ... check
    old classmate warned to skip town while the skippin's good ... check
    boss of cop is strongly supportive but doesn't ask too many questions ... check
    loyal concerned friends of both genders ... check
    friends convinced she coulda done it but happy she did not ... check
    beau who maybe can and maybe can't handle the truth of things ... check

shoot fire and save them matches, sounds like an Oklahoma story line to me.

Last edited by kevinpate; 07-19-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typo

The show is silly and the storylines are a tad too contrived, but I do appreciate the attempts in dialogue to at least localize it. I think they do try too hard to put at OU pennent in every scene.

I'm also convinced that the big cliffhanger this year is going to involve an F4 barring down on downtown and Grace will have to save a schoolbus full of kids going to a Redhawks game. She'll commandeer the bus, drive recklessly and put the bus in the BT canal. Then, after saving all of the kids, including one who can't swim, she'll punch out a restaurant owner trying to intevene, who just happened by accident to call her "Honey."

> She'll commandeer the bus, drive recklessly and put the bus in the
    > BT canal. Then, after saving all of the kids, including one who can't
    > swim, she'll punch out a restaurant owner trying to intevene, who
    > just happened by accident to call her "Honey."

I'd watch it. But then, I've watched a lass gross out her friend by catching a fish in the lower end of the canal with her bare hand.

Hmmm, come to think of it, I know someone who would volunteer her ex to play the stunt double of resturant owner especially if the punch wasn't going to be pulled. She might even don a blondish wig and be hunter's stunt double, just to be sure.

13. Default Re: Saving Grace back on lastnight.

Unfortunately, the show has to live up to the Okie sterotypes or viewers outside OK won't think it is 'realistic.'

I've only seen it a couple of times and thought it was pretty lame myself. She's a bit too much of a whore for me and the dialogue and acting are pretty b-rate for my taste.

14. Default Re: Saving Grace back on lastnight.

Thanks for the link, oneforone. I didn't think I was totally hallucinating it.

In trying to Google the "police dog jumps off of bridge" story I discovered it happens on a somewhat regular basis all across the country. Poor K9 babies - just doing their jobs.

Has anyone seen Holly Hunter in town shooting footage? I know they only shoot a couple of days here every year, but I never hear about it when it is actually happening.

and then there's the whole bit of the forensic lass being extremely intelligent and possessing a strong moral compass, traits not generally mentioned by the masses in connection with a former and now somewhat infamous forensics person.

The episode last night featured Grace and another detective sipping soda out of a Johnnies Charcoal Broiler cup...talk about product placement. Similar to last week's episode, I must've counted more than a dozen reminders the show was based in OKC, which seems a little forced. I guess if you're from OKC, you pick up on it more than the average viewer. To everyone else, they hear May Ave. and Shawnee and think nothing of it. Like a dog who hears his name in the midst of a conversation, my ears perked up out of sound recognition.

My wife really enjoys the show, so I've decided I'll watch it with her. It's not exactly my cup of tea, but I may find I enjoy the show more and more as the season progresses.

I got a kick out of Retta meeting, but not meeting, Earl. Not even sure why.
    I got a bigger kick out of the cop driving off after talking to Grace and broadcasting "Gus, your mom is looking for you."
    I suppose because it reminded me of a few patrolers I've known elsewhere.

18. Default Re: Saving Grace back on lastnight.

The bombing-centric episode was really good. I can't believe it took this long for Hollywood to do something centered around the bombing. 9/11 got 2 movies and zillions of documentaries, but nothing heralding our heroes from Hollywood--til now I guess.

Grace was wearing a Louie's Bar & Grill shirt throughout the majority of yesterday's episode to continue to OKC-owned product placement.

20. Default Re: Saving Grace back on lastnight.

I highly doubt it's actual product placement.

Well Saving Grace is one of my favorite shows...and I love the way when they talk about some where...we know where it is...

It is a little raw and rough, and I guess maybe corny...but when you here
    "Johnnies" or Boomer Sooner...it is fun...
    And last nights episode with Barry Switzer...You gotta love it...and I think we can laugh at ourselves and still totally understand when they showed the IDOL Barry...lol

22. Default Re: Saving Grace back on lastnight.

The Barry Switzer cameo was great!

23. Default Re: Saving Grace back on lastnight.

Anyone else notice Paco Balderrama in the opening scene? He was only on screen for a few seconds at a time.

this says "preview" of Barry Switzer cameo but it's pretty cool.

YouTube - Barry Switzer Guest Stars on Saving Grace Preview

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    Anyone else notice Paco Balderrama in the opening scene? He was only on screen for a few seconds at a time.
    Yeah, I wondered if I was the only one who noticed him in the art gallery scenes lol.

Thread Information