Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Falcones in Bethany

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Falcones in Bethany

I drove down 39th street on my way home from work this evening and noticed the old Seafood Restaurant across from SNU (I think it was Harbor House?) will be the site of the newest Falcones. Seems like a strange place since Papa Angelos is within walking distance.

Default Re: Falcones in Bethany

I don't know, being that the only Falcone's I'll really eat at now is the May location and know many that will agree, it seems apparent that they've been expanding too fast. The quality of the food and service at the Edmond and Midwest City locations leave much to be desired, and they are usually understaffed or do not have enough experienced managerial oversight. The Bricktown location is somewhat of an exception because Danny seems to always be there, but the nothing beats the experience at the original location IMO.

But since they are all still in biz I guess things are working out OK for them...

3. Default Re: Falcones in Bethany

Yep. Edmond is deserted these days.

so where do edmonites go to snag their pie these days?

5. Default Re: Falcones in Bethany

Seem's like Jo's and Humble Pie are keeping their parking lots pretty full these days.

I guess I'm in a minority on this, but I've tried Falcone's a couple of times, and I just don't like it - NY authenticity notwithstanding.

First time, we grabbed one of the pepperoni calzones, and the thing was about 90% air and had maybe five pepperonis - and that's not an exaggeration, either. Okay, figured that was a mis-hit, an outlier; tried Falcone's again, picked up a basic Pepperoni pizza, and it was swimming in grease and had virtually no flavor at all. When my teenage son won't eat a pizza, and asks if I want the rest of his something's wrong. After we kept trying to figure out the "good" part of it, we at each other and said, "okay, this is twice, and its been a loser both times..."

Like I said, maybe I'm in a minority on this, but if Falcone's is truly represenative of NYC pizza, maybe I just don't like NYC pizza :sad

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    II guess I'm in a minority on this, but I've tried Falcone's a couple of times, and I just don't like it - NY authenticity notwithstanding.
    Trust me, it is a poor representation of NY pizza, as someone who used to live there and visits regularly.

By the way, only tourists would go to Little Italy to get pizza. It's not there. The best slices in New York are in the Village, Lower East Side, Soho, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, etc.

Danny Falcone is a New Yorker, but that doesn't mean he can make good pizza. His pizza is OK, but it's not like the best -- or even average -- places to get a slice in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Trust me, it is a poor representation of NY pizza, as someone who used to live there and visits regularly.

By the way, only tourists would go to Little Italy to get pizza. It's not there. The best slices in New York are in the Village, Lower East Side, Soho, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, etc.

Danny Falcone is a New Yorker, but that doesn't mean he can make good pizza. His pizza is OK, but it's not like the best -- or even average -- places to get a slice in NYC.
    Exactly. Heck, Papa Angelo's in Bethany has the best NYC pizza hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post

Who DOES have the best NYC-style pizza here in town? I've been wondering...

I'll put my vote in for Papa Angelos in Bethany.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Who DOES have the best NYC-style pizza here in town? I've been wondering...
    Sbarro.

Yes, it's the old Harbour House restaurant (too bad HH is gone).

There is already a thread on this somewhere I believe. I read in the Gazette though awhile back. This is going to be there "Family Style" restaurant and not their typical pizza joint. They are going to have sit down/waiter style food served family style to feed a family of 4 for under $30. Such as probably a bowl of spaghetti, garlic knots, salad and drinks is how I picture it.

SoonerDave, don't rule NYC pizza out. Papa Angelo's in Bethany (and now Jones and El Reno, weird locations I know, and you'd think that's not very convenient of a commute to check up on) is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better NYC style than Falcones or anywhere else. Just read the reviews on here, UrbanSpoon, and that other OKC foodie website. Everyone pretty much says it is hands down the best. Having eaten there (and in NYC) on and off for the last 10-15 years, I whole-heartedly agree. I recommend the sausage pizza, but you can't go wrong either way.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    ...SoonerDave, don't rule NYC pizza out. Papa Angelo's in Bethany (and now Jones and El Reno, weird locations I know, and you'd think that's not very convenient of a commute to check up on) is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better NYC style than Falcones or anywhere else. .....

...I recommend the sausage pizza, but you can't go wrong either way.
    Great tip, Metro....if I can remember to think about heading that way next time we have a family pizza outing, that's what I'll suggest. Only problem is that when we drive across town for pizza, my family likes to go to Hideaway (and I do too, for that matter)...so I've gotta do some arm-twisting....

BTW, I LOVE sausage pizza, so if there's one to try, that's what I'd prefer!!!

Ahhh....test-driving pizza....now THAT's a career I could sink my teeth into (forgive horrible joke).

I heard today that the new Falcones is supposed to open next week. Considering how long it seems to take other restaurants to open this one seemed to go really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    I heard today that the new Falcones is supposed to open next week. Considering how long it seems to take other restaurants to open this one seemed to go really fast.
    Yes it is supposed to be open on Monday 8/17/2009.

i thought gaetano's closed... do you mean papa angelo's?

-M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    i thought gaetano's closed... do you mean papa angelo's?

-M
    Oops. Yep. Fixed. Gaetano's was good though.

Went to Papa Angelos for lunch yesterday. If you haven't been in the last few months they have moved a few doors to the south and have a much bigger place. Love the garlic knots.

Thats correct I drove by today. Also they are going to be serving breakfast, that should be interesting.

20. Default Re: Falcones in Bethany

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Also they are going to be serving breakfast, that should be interesting.
    that does sound interesting. i've liked everything i've had at falcones, especially from the store on N.May...

breakfast pizza ain't tough ... lay down scrambled eggs as the sauce base, load it with sausages, bacon, other meats if you choose, some veggies, but only if you must, mix up a couple of different cheeses, not just the pizza standbys, then bake that sucker ...

Once it's cooked, let it cool just a speck, then slice it up and enjoy, especially enjoy by having your slices smothered with your favorite jams if you're a sweet tooth.

Breakfast pizza was a fav, especially for the early Sat staff mtgs, in a few different ff caves, long, long ago, in another lifetime far far away.

I was thinking gravy as a sauce base, not scrambled eggs....

never made one with a gravy sauce. I see where that could work, but it'd be more than a tad messier. Unless I suppose one likes to make the gravy thick enough to be chewy.

Using an egg base for the sauce, your typical breakfast pizza still resembles a pizza but all in all, it's just a real thin quiche.

Good blackberry jam makes it heavenly. Then again, good blackberry jam has that effect on almost everything.

And furthermore, I was wondering what an "Italian Breakfast" or "NYC breakfast" would be, or if they're just going to have standard breakfast fare.

I have been eating at Falcone's since it opened on May and I eat at the one in Bricktown at least once nearly every week. I think their pizza is mediocre and overpriced. Their pasta dishes are also overpriced for what you get but I love the sandwiches and connoli. The sandwiches are large enough for two people. I live in Bethany and hope the new location makes it. Their prices are pretty high for everything. They need to include a piece of bread and a salad with the pasta dishes. Some lasagne would be good too. Anyone remember Custino's? He had great lasagne. It is too bad they went out of business, I liked it as much or more than Falcone's.

Bigray in Ok

Thread Information