Widgets Magazine

Thread: Potato chip factory with neon sign on roof

Default Potato chip factory with neon sign on roof

I woke up the other night with a memory of sorts. I believe there was a potato chip factory on N. Penn and south of NW 10th. It had a neon sign on the roof (or perhaps on the front of the building). It would have been on the east side of Penn, across from the AMC discount store. I seem to recall it had quite a bit of blue neon.

Looking at the criss-cross posted on the forum, I see a listing for Wonder Potato Chips at 916 N. Penn, but looking at the 1969 aerial photo at that location, I didn't see a building large enough to be a factory. OTOH, Google street view currently shows an empty lot at that location.

A short bit of searching the web found a few mentions of an Acme Potato Chip factory in that general vicinity. My memory would have been probably from the 1960's (my family moved to OKC in 1961) OR maybe from the 1950's since one set of my grandparents lived in Gatewood and the other set of grandparents lived near NW 30th and Penn.

And, it might NOT have been near 10th and Penn! lol

Any ideas? Thanks!

OKCexpat

Default Re: Potato chip factory with neon sign on roof

I remember Charles Chips in large cans that I think may have been delivered to houses back in the 60's. I don't know if they were a company local to OKC. A google search of Charles Chips says they went bankrupt and bought several times and it looks like some form of Charles Chips are available on Amazon.

Yes, I remember Charles chips in the cans from years ago. But, unlike bread brands and similar products, I don't think they had local/regional factories. It seems that Charles was made back east.

So my mystery continues....or was it just a dream? lol

4. Default Re: Potato chip factory with neon sign on roof

Locally-owned Acme Potato Chip Company was located at 1112 NW 5th (just east of Western where the Linwood Diagonal turns into 5th). The hits I got on newspapers.com were from at least the early 1930s, and the latest hit I saw was 1959. They made a chip brand called Gold Seal.

I looked at Google maps and street view to get an idea of that address on 5th. It seems "off the beaten path" for my folks or grandparents to be driving at night when the sign would have been lit. It might have been visible from Linwood if the building and sign were high enough.

I guess I'm back to that Wonder Potato Chip entry as found on the 1969 criss-cross directory.....

Thread Information