Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Townsend in Park District

Default Re: Townsend in Park District

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    These developments are a problem for some of us who moved here years ago. I hate the traffic i hate the traffic by my place. I want to still drive the roads and ride the roads on horse back or a cart. Its where you cannot even ride a bike safely or me check my mail box at the road. What about us who dont want to move and stil enjoy our life style????? I guess we dont count and will just be road kill. I am last few times at Sam's club I almost got hit while walking in the parking lot up to the store.
    All those things that made you want to live in Edmond and such? They appeal to other folks. I certainly think landowners should have input when land use around their property changes (such as going from single family to multifamily or single family to retail, industrial, etc). But, outside of that, there's no expectation that infill isn't going to happen. The east half of Edmond has been residential for decades, by and large. Just because there was empty land doesn't mean it was going to remain empty. When I bought my house 2.5 decades ago, Santa-Fe and 33rd was a 4 way single lane stop sign, with empty fields all around. Edmond has had tremendous growth over the past 2 decades, and it's probably not going to slow. That ship has sailed.

It's better for a city to be growing that to be stagnant. If you want an area that might remain unchanged for decades, find a dead city or a place no one wants to live - that's about the only way it will happen. It's also important to understand that land is a shared/community resource, regardless of who owns it. There's a finite amount of it, there won't be "new" land (outside of places where they are creating land on the water). No one has the absolute right to complete control of their land, because we're all part of a society.

These developments are a problem for some of us who moved here years ago. I hate the traffic i hate the traffic by my place. I want to still drive the roads and ride the roads on horse back or a cart. Its where you cannot even ride a bike safely or me check my mail box at the road. What about us who dont want to move and stil enjoy our life style????? I guess we dont count and will just be road kill. I am last few times at Sam's club I almost got hit while walking in the parking lot up to the store.
    I'm not going to be as rude as to say adapt or get out of the way, but I do think Dan makes a good point. More of us need to get together and make this happen in Edmond.

I know Edmond is developing more bike and walking trails which is good. There also needs to be a standard for sidewalks. Many are good but some are right up next to the road with no buffer. Where there is no bike trail or safe way to get where you need to be, there should be protected bike lanes. Putting up a sign to share the road is not good enough.

And I'm gonna say for the thousandth time, get rid of a lot of the stoplights and design the roads better. Having a 6 or 7 lane road but making the speed limit 35 and putting up a lot of stoplights that are out of sync doesn't work.

It's possible to make traffic flow smoothly at lower speeds and make it more pleasurable and lower stress for drivers just by having good road design. Thinner roads, tree lined medians, roundabouts, tree lined shoulders etc.

Still this does not answer the problem of me being able to drive the roads with people driving so fast. They dont watch for riders horse or bike. They dont watch for older people walking. They dont watch for people in parking lots walking to the store entrance. Some ever try to scare people walk to and from the store entrance. I had one jerk drive his big track right up behind me about one to two feet from me in a parking lot while i was pushing my shopping cart to my truck. I am older and cannot run, With very little gray hair people think i am alot younger. Just asking how am i to ride the roads or drive the roads with a horse. how to I adapt to the traffic???Also just driving I am run off the road by some jerk coming into my lane on a two lane road playing chicken. I drive a small pickup and I am tired of having to take the bar ditch to avoid a head on.

Still this does not answer the problem of me being able to drive the roads with people driving so fast. They dont watch for riders horse or bike. They dont watch for older people walking. They dont watch for people in parking lots walking to the store entrance. Some ever try to scare people walk to and from the store entrance. I had one jerk drive his big track right up behind me about one to two feet from me in a parking lot while i was pushing my shopping cart to my truck. I am older and cannot run, With very little gray hair people think i am alot younger. Just asking how am i to ride the roads or drive the roads with a horse. how to I adapt to the traffic???Also just driving I am run off the road by some jerk coming into my lane on a two lane road playing chicken. I drive a small pickup and I am tired of having to take the bar ditch to avoid a head on.
    this is a down town edmond development .. and either way maybe edmond is not the place to "drive the roads with your horse"

I was getting caught up on this thread and genuinely thought that was a satire/troll poster. But looking at their comment history, I think it is legit - which is scary. Lady you are going to get yourself and your horse killed if you expect to ride it on any road in Edmond. Keep that activity to your own land and neighborhood.

I have a friend who has a horse... Guess where they ride it? At the stable area where they keep the horse. A bike is another thing and OKC could use better bike infrastructure, but I see a lot of bike lanes that are used as sidewalks or parking.

I think you just need to really come to terms that Edmond isn't the small town you were used to and the east side is eventually going to be built up just like it is close to the center. That is happening. No way it doesn't. You might want to think about relocating to a smaller town somewhere further out.

I am older and it would take an act of congress for me to move after 41 years. i dont want to be far away. By the way I dont board at a stable. They are way too expensive. i have my own horse barn and arena. I just want to get back into driving. The other issue about moving is that i spent 41 years building up my place. i am retired so dont have the money to start to build up a horse place from scratch. just not real do able on my pension. I dont think you understand the cost of building pipe and cable fence and horse barns. Then one has to find a house that does not need to be un updated. Its so hard to find ones with golden oak. I hate what is in style right now. yes i am a picky old woman.

9. Default Re: Townsend in Park District

Every time I see this thread has an update and hoping it has to do with the actual development, but all I get is a person who is so out of touch with their surroundings. Then multiple people either dunking on them or others trying to reason with them. I am sorry oklip955, but there is no fixing your problems. Change is inevitable and living so close to a major metropolitan area you will always be swallowed up by the big city. I am sure there are plenty of people in the surrounding small cities next to Dallas that feel the same way.

Can we move this discussion to a board about downtown Edmond or something?

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Every time I see this thread has an update and hoping it has to do with the actual development, but all I get is a person who is so out of touch with their surroundings. Then multiple people either dunking on them or others trying to reason with them. I am sorry oklip955, but there is no fixing your problems. Change is inevitable and living so close to a major metropolitan area you will always be swallowed up by the big city. I am sure there are plenty of people in the surrounding small cities next to Dallas that feel the same way.

Can we move this discussion to a board about downtown Edmond or something?
    The only thing they can do it advocate with their city council person for better "horse lane infrastructure" to better accommodate their needs.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    The only thing he can do it advocate with his city council person for better "horse lane infrastructure" to better accommodate his needs.
    I believe @oklip955 is a lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I believe @oklip955 is a lady.
    Thanks. I changed the post to make it gender neutral.

its me. I am an older retired senior lady the ok lip comes from in Oklahoma with Lipizzan horses. I used to be very active in our horse registry.

14. Default Re: Townsend in Park District

I missed this either in the thread or in that picture book that had lots of inspiration and stock photos of happy people in their happy lives, but where is this planned? I see around Stephenson Park, but where? Thanks!

16. Default Re: Townsend in Park District

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    I missed this either in the thread or in that picture book that had lots of inspiration and stock photos of happy people in their happy lives, but where is this planned? I see around Stephenson Park, but where? Thanks!
    It looks like the same LLC owns the land in Green. I believe this will be where it will be located.

Screenshot 2024-08-20 134959.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

^^^ thank you for posting that.

18. Default Re: Townsend in Park District

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^ thank you for posting that.
    You are welcome. I think I accidently added Bella Salon there on 4th street. They don't own that part, but they own that little corner on 4th street.

Thread Information