Widgets Magazine

Thread: NorSun Solar Factory

Default NorSun Solar Factory

June 25 (Reuters) - Norwegian solar energy company NorSun will invest $620 million in Tulsa, Oklahoma, for its first U.S. factory, the state's department of commerce said on Tuesday.
    The facility will produce silicon ingots and wafers needed to make solar cells that are the building blocks of panels.
    Source: https://www.reuters.com/business/ene...LezDdZqiWglXTg

Sounds like it will be a 60-acre site on the east side of Tulsa's airport.
    Source: https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news...f5MgiXbQIHsWTA

Default Re: NorSun Solar Factory

Good to see another major solar manufacturer here. Between them and Enel we have a nice representation in that industry now.

Interesting to see that area of the airport finally get developed. There are long term plans to add another runway over there IF they were to attract more aerospace companies. I think part of the reason this land has held out so long is that they were hoping to attract more aerospace manufacturing business.

Good for the Tulsa area!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Good for the Tulsa area!
    As is our governor's prerogative.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    Hot take: It's possible to enjoy both Oklahoma City and Tulsa and root for their success at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Hot take: It's possible to enjoy both Oklahoma City and Tulsa and root for their success at the same time.
    No, I agree. 100%. But in my opinion, our governor would much, much rather these jobs end up in Tulsa than OKC.

lol, are you saying Kevin Stitt personally directed this factory to be built in Tulsa instead of OKC? I can guarantee he wasn't a factor or influence in these discussions. OKC gets plenty of new businesses all the time, and politicians are not the major influences. Sure, they can grease some wheels sometimes, but ultimately the business is deciding on a location that works for them. I doubt they were comparing OKC vs Tulsa, though it is possible if there were two equally priced large undeveloped lots near a major transport hub.

8. Default Re: NorSun Solar Factory

Man the social media comments on this are crazy. People are very angry about having a plant built here. It's jobs. I didn't know solar power was some hot button issue that it needs to be banned in our state!

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Man the social media comments on this are crazy. People are very angry about having a plant built here. It's jobs. I didn't know solar power was some hot button issue that it needs to be banned in our state!
    The window lickers are out in full force.

It is surprising that Tulsa hasn’t gotten in on any more aerospace manufacturing than it has. It seems most of the newish stuff has gone to the SE (Carolinas and Alabama).

Good deal! Between this and Enel - something like $2 Billion in capital investments and 2200 jobs. Nice to see a new industry take root in the area.

No, I agree. 100%. But in my opinion, our governor would much, much rather these jobs end up in Tulsa than OKC.
    True.

Isn't this a long-term lease? I know that has been a limiting factor for new development around the airport.

This is going in the red area. There still is room for another runway but it would involve placing at least a portion of Mingo Creek underground.

so does this mean that our governor is going to have to sue himself since he made the decree that the state can't do business with any company that could hurt Oklahoma's oil and gas industry?

14. Default Re: NorSun Solar Factory

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    so does this mean that our governor is going to have to sue himself since he made the decree that the state can't do business with any company that could hurt oklahoma's oil and gas industry?
    exactly.

Somehow people on this board thinks the only reason Tulsa lands *anything* is due to some gubernatorial conspiracy. Tulsa is smaller, but has a solid economy in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBenjals! View Post
    Somehow people on this board thinks the only reason Tulsa lands *anything* is due to some gubernatorial conspiracy. Tulsa is smaller, but has a solid economy in its own right.
    No, but the governor has made no bones about loving Tulsa, and wanting it to succeed. Him being so Gung ho regarding Tesla in Tulsa, without even mentioning OKC, shows it. That was Muhammad Ali vs Joe Blow in a 12 round heavyweight fight, Austin vs. Tulsa.

I won't derail this thread anymore. I know Tulsa has a good economy, but having the governor constantly pushing projects to Tulsa can also be true.

Blog Entries

No, but the governor has made no bones about loving Tulsa, and wanting it to succeed. Him being so Gung ho regarding Tesla in Tulsa, without even mentioning OKC, shows it. That was Muhammad Ali vs Joe Blow in a 12 round heavyweight fight, Austin vs. Tulsa.

I won't derail this thread anymore. I know Tulsa has a good economy, but having the governor constantly pushing projects to Tulsa can also be true.
    The governor had nothing to do with the effort to land Tesla.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Oh...*disregard the link title - typo in it, but it works just the same. Link goes to a Stitt petitioning the public to get Tesla to go to Tulsa.

https://www.newson6.com/story/5efdd4...ombing-victims

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    lol. You’re sorely mistaken.

Oh...*disregard the link title - typo in it, but it works just the same. Link goes to a Stitt petitioning the public to get Tesla to go to Tulsa.

https://www.newson6.com/story/5efdd4...ombing-victims
    OKC didn't have a site that met the criteria needed for the Tesla Gigafactory. The Tulsa area has more "shovel-ready" sites available due to its port system, MAIP and GRDA hydro-power and water.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    OKC didn't have a site that met the criteria needed for the Tesla Gigafactory. The Tulsa area has more "shovel-ready" sites available due to its port system, MAIP and GRDA hydro-power and water.
    It's why OKC had to annex land near Yukon to try and land that big manufacturer. There simply aren't enough sites in the OKC metro to accommodate projects like that. Don't understand the heartburn towards the MAIP and the area by the Port.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    wasn't the site for telsa "in tulsa" really not in tulsa and east of catoosa?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    wasn't the site for telsa "in tulsa" really not in tulsa and east of catoosa?
    It was in Tulsa - part of the Fair Oaks Ranch development (the parcel south of I-44 and east of the Creek Turnpike). The first project planned for that area is an $800M data center.

Thread Information