Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: June 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: June 2024 - General Weather Discussion

Belle Isle area has to be working on 2 inches in the last 30 minutes

Power blinked several times but didn’t go out thankfully. I can’t imagine sleeping with no AC this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Belle Isle area has to be working on 2 inches in the last 30 minutes
    Wouldn't be surprised if final tally is 3+ inches in Belle Isle area from this storm.

I’m loving that we got rain but it would sure be nice if our storms weren’t always trying to kill us! Sheesh. That was a loud storm that came through last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if final tally is 3+ inches in Belle Isle area from this storm.
    Doesn't look like we got any by the airport south side. Ground looks and feels dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Doesn't look like we got any by the airport south side. Ground looks and feels dry.
    It stayed east of I-44 that way. So no, nothing at the airport.

It absolutely poured on everything between LHP/I-44 and I-235/I-35. From the Deer Creek area to at least I-240

Today will be the hottest day of the year so far. Excessive Heat Warning for all of C and S OK with dangerous heat indices.

Definitely hit or miss. Storms formed and moved south and died over the OKC metro. Tulsa and Eastern OK got in on the storms and heavy rain this morning.

That was one of the craziest storms I've ever seen, with huge winds that went on for quite a while.

We got at least 2 inches near Penn Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    Power blinked several times but didn’t go out thankfully. I can’t imagine sleeping with no AC this time of year.
    It was not pleasant, and that was with the power going out at 9pm when it was already a bit cooler outside. I am really hoping we get power back before tonight, otherwise it's going to be miserable.

That was without a doubt the craziest storm I've been in in my 9 years out here. The wind/hail combination was intense up by Waterloo Road and 74 and there are numerous lines down. Thankfully we made it through with no damage somehow, some of my neighbors are definitely not so lucky.

I saw on FB that there is some pretty serious damage on the east side of OKC with walls torn off an office building.

Tulsa area got our turn this morning, though not quite as bad. Some tree damage. Was definitely the most intense storm I have driven through, and it feels like it came out of nowhere. Thankfully no hail.

The GFS model from a couple days ago was surprisingly accurate...

SPC maintains a risk in Oklahoma today and also northwest Oklahoma tomorrow, just outside the OKC metro.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    The GFS model from a couple days ago was surprisingly accurate...
    I think the GFS generally has a better handle on spring/summer storm systems while EURO does better with winter weather.

Big damage to an office building at Britton & Kelley (from Reddit):

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Big damage to an office building at Britton & Kelley (from Reddit):

I office with a client in the building up the street directly to the north (Cedar lake plaza). Took the roof off and I could see pieces of it all the way across Britton. Everything inside was soaked and we were told to evacuate because the facade was buckling and attached remainder of the roof appeared to be nearing collapse. There were trees in the parking lot that were ripped clean at the base and thrown about 50-100 yards and through a fence. Just a crazy amount of damage.

Got just under 1" here, and I'm a few miles east of the airport between I-44 and I-35. There was a pretty sharp dividing line between who got rain and who didn't though based on what I saw on radar.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Got just under 1" here, and I'm a few miles east of the airport between I-44 and I-35. There was a pretty sharp dividing line between who got rain and who didn't though based on what I saw on radar.
    Yep...the official reporting station at the airport only picked up a trace; meanwhile, the OKC East Mesonet site at I-35 and NE 4th Street picked up 1.39"

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Today will be the hottest day of the year so far. Excessive Heat Warning for all of C and S OK with dangerous heat indices.
    Nope, didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    Nope, didn't happen.
    Outflow from the morning storms in Eastern OK bailed us out today. Mangum, Erick, and Hollis all hit 108 so the heat was not too far away.

Early next week looks downright nasty if we don’t get more mesoscale-level relief. Overall ridging pattern does not appear to change much over the next 10-14 days.

GFS is showing another storm complex moving into OK overnight Saturday and possibly another complex later Sunday. They nailed the last storm, let’s hope this verifies

GFS rainfall through Monday

22. Default Re: June 2024 - General Weather Discussion

That is what I like to see. Lets go GFS!

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    GFS is showing another storm complex moving into OK overnight Saturday and possibly another complex later Sunday. They nailed the last storm, let’s hope this verifies

GFS rainfall through Monday
    this would be a godsend

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Outflow from the morning storms in Eastern OK bailed us out today. Mangum, Erick, and Hollis all hit 108 so the heat was not too far away.

Early next week looks downright nasty if we don’t get more mesoscale-level relief. Overall ridging pattern does not appear to change much over the next 10-14 days.

That's not what I saw on the evening weather but who knows.

Two upcoming rain chances - first is early Sunday morning across mainly northern OK. Severe weather, most likely high winds, possible. Decent rainfall also possible with some places picking up 1-2". It will all depend on where the squall line forms as it moves south from Kansas.

Second chance is late on the 4th early morning on the 5th as another system moves south from Kansas. This appears to be stronger and more widespread but that could change.

In between both systems it will be very hot and humid with temps around 100 F peaking early-mid next week.

Long-range models are showing the heat dome returning across the Southern Plains into mid-July which is typical. We've been lucky that the high has shifted south into Texas which allows storms to enter OK with NW flow. Eventually that will shut off like it did in mid-June.

Thread Information