Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Uncommon Ground Park (2nd & Coltrane)

Default Re: Uncommon Ground Park (2nd & Coltrane)

did the site plans change any?

This has become so convoluted that I can't keep up. Where are we now on this? Is anything ever going to happen here?

So they took a natural area where I used to pass by and see horses running and they cut down most of the trees (because who doesn't think of barren wasteland when they think of a park) and they put up a little statue of horses to remind us of what we lost.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    This has become so convoluted that I can't keep up. Where are we now on this? Is anything ever going to happen here?

So they took a natural area where I used to pass by and see horses running and they cut down most of the trees (because who doesn't think of barren wasteland when they think of a park) and they put up a little statue of horses to remind us of what we lost.
    You don’t love a clear cut park? It’s the big friendly way.

5. Default Re: Uncommon Ground Park (2nd & Coltrane)

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    You don’t love a clear cut park? It’s the big friendly way.
    They actually kept a TON of trees there! (Trust me I am VERY aware of canopy loss--hate it) and was glad to see they kept as many as they did. I was told they just removed dead and heavily damaged trees that have become evident since the 2020/2021 double whammy of the ice storm and deep freeze. We are still seeing the effects of those two incredibly harmful storms to the canopy across the Metro. When you drive by, the open areas you see now were mostly open when this was privately-owned horse pasture. It is a beautiful piece of property that could have become something so much more ugly. Glad to hear they have gotten together and found a path forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    They actually kept a TON of trees there! (Trust me I am VERY aware of canopy loss--hate it) and was glad to see they kept as many as they did. I was told they just removed dead and heavily damaged trees that have become evident since the 2020/2021 double whammy of the ice storm and deep freeze. We are still seeing the effects of those two incredibly harmful storms to the canopy across the Metro. When you drive by, the open areas you see now were mostly open when this was privately-owned horse pasture. It is a beautiful piece of property that could have become something so much more ugly. Glad to hear they have gotten together and found a path forward.
    To employ an overused and trite saying, that sounds like putting lipstick on a pig.

I guess we should be glad they didn't cut them all down. And everytime someone clear cuts trees, they always say the trees were dead and/or diseased. Every. Time. All I know, is that has a person who has driven by this property so much over the years, is that once there was a lot of green there and one day, not so much. For those trees to be dead, they had a lot of green.

This isn't a shot at you, Celebrator. It's just a frustrating situation. But one I knew was coming. For years I would drive by there and I made sure to enjoy it because I knew the day was coming that someone would come in and ruin it.

https://www.edmondok.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1117

City commits upwards of $15 million to help fund proposed art park project
    Uncommon Ground Art Park Opens in new windowDuring the May 28 City Council meeting, the City of Edmond, in collaboration with the French Family Charitable Foundation, has reached an agreement that will provide a forgivable loan of $10 million dollars to help fund the proposed art park at the corner of 2nd Street and Coltrane Road.

That funding will be used to construct park infrastructure improvements. The city also agreed to waive plan review, permitting and inspection fees for the project.

Under the agreement, the French Family Charitable Foundation would develop the 62-acre park to provide a place to exhibit public art.

The City agreed to fund public infrastructure work that may include the construction of storm sewer, sanitary sewer, water distribution, street improvements, public parking, and construction of public trails to facilitate the construction of the park.

As well, the city has committed to reimburse the French Family Foundation and the Fine Arts Institute (FAI) for construction sales tax paid in the construction of the park and private FAI facility. Additionally, the City committed to drainage improvements, valued at $500,000, at the adjacent Huntwick Detention basin that will assist with stormwater control for the park and committed to fund, at a future date, Coltrane Road improvements estimated at $3 million.

Under the agreement, the 62-acre facility, when complete, would transfer ownership to the Park Conservancy Trust.

To fund the forgivable loan, the City will use funds from Edmond Electric, Solid Waste Reserves, Field Service Reserves, Capital Improvement Plan tax revenues and revenues from the interest accrued in the Hospital Sale Trust fund.

The City will also provide pieces from its public art collection for display in the park. It already committed $180,000 toward the purchase of a piece installed at the corner of the park location. “Valley of the Horse” – a life-sized bronze sculpture of six horses by renowned artist Paul Moore – was installed Jan. 5 at the northwest corner of 2nd Street and Coltrane Road. The statue is part of the 310 pieces in the City’s collection.

The park, upon start of construction, is required to be completed within 24 months. An operation and maintenance funding agreement will also be considered at an upcoming City Council meeting.

Sure has become an expensive “gift”.

9. Default Re: Uncommon Ground Park (2nd & Coltrane)

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    To employ an overused and trite saying, that sounds like putting lipstick on a pig.

I guess we should be glad they didn't cut them all down. And everytime someone clear cuts trees, they always say the trees were dead and/or diseased. Every. Time. All I know, is that has a person who has driven by this property so much over the years, is that once there was a lot of green there and one day, not so much. For those trees to be dead, they had a lot of green.

This isn't a shot at you, Celebrator. It's just a frustrating situation. But one I knew was coming. For years I would drive by there and I made sure to enjoy it because I knew the day was coming that someone would come in and ruin it.
    I am just glad it didn't all turn into housing or commercial. At least we have a park instead. It wasn't all trees. I have been driving past it for 15 years, and sure, there were more trees, but it was also pasture for horses as you remember. Again, it could be much worse. Just trying to be grateful for what we have.

I am just glad it didn't all turn into housing or commercial. At least we have a park instead. It wasn't all trees. I have been driving past it for 15 years, and sure, there were more trees, but it was also pasture for horses as you remember. Again, it could be much worse. Just trying to be grateful for what we have.
    Someone probably once had the same opinion of the property where your house now stands.

But since you have your home now, now is the right time to stop other housing projects...

Could use more... quality... commercial so the city is funded to provide the level of services the citizen's have come to expect. The population is going to keep growing... going to have to fund those services to keep the quality of life up.

12. Default Re: Uncommon Ground Park (2nd & Coltrane)

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Could use more... quality... commercial so the city is funded to provide the level of services the citizen's have come to expect. The population is going to keep growing... going to have to fund those services to keep the quality of life up.
    Agreed, but there are other locations that are less unique to start with where quality designs can be built, and I would champion that for sure, but this property is just so beautiful to begin with that this is a great use for that unique piece of land.

13. Default Re: Uncommon Ground Park (2nd & Coltrane)

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Someone probably once had the same opinion of the property where your house now stands.

But since you have your home now, now is the right time to stop other housing projects...
    Again, just grateful this particular piece of land is going to have this use. I support housing and commercial developments to support the city's growth. Weird you took that angle on my comments, assuming something you had no reason to assume. Just out of left field.

You're right. I should take the Ws where I can get them. It's not going to be a neighborhood or a strip mall. And it'll probably turn out to be nice.

During its June 10 meeting, City Council approved the final set of agreements with the French Family Charitable Foundation for the maintenance and operation of the proposed art park at the corner of 2nd Street and Coltrane Road.

City Council voted to approve an agreement that includes funding for 70 percent of the maintenance and operation budget of the proposed park, with a maximum contribution of $899,360 the first year. The agreement also means:
    • The City is responsible for major repairs, upgrades, or overhaul to the Huntwick Detention Pond necessary or required after completion of the park.
    • The City will administer the payments to the designated facility manager, Sculpture Park Operations, LLC, and provide oversight regarding invoices, records, and prior approval for purchases that cost more than $100,000.
    • The City will provide water, sanitary sewer, sanitation and electric service to the park at no cost after the facility is completed – an estimated annual utilities cost of $400,000 to $500,000.

Learn more: https://www.edmondok.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1121

"Free" park.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    "Free" park.
    I hate to tell you this but, there is nothing in life that is free. You either pay to enter, or you pay when you pay taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    I hate to tell you this but, there is nothing in life that is free. You either pay to enter, or you pay when you pay taxes.
    I know, but there was so much noise about pushing this as some great free gift to the city, never to be questioned, and that the city was foolish to try to lay out things like costs, expenses, who's paying for it. Seems like those discussions were needed after all, and the magic full funding with the "trust me, the money is there" comments didn't live up to the hype. Who else saw it coming that magically funding this off of some future restaurant pads was not going to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I know, but there was so much noise about pushing this as some great free gift to the city, never to be questioned, and that the city was foolish to try to lay out things like costs, expenses, who's paying for it. Seems like those discussions were needed after all, and the magic full funding with the "trust me, the money is there" comments didn't live up to the hype. Who else saw it coming that magically funding this off of some future restaurant pads was not going to happen?
    this is how it was presented pretty much all along .... nothing new ..

Thread Information