Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 141516171819

Thread: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Quote Originally Posted by bamarsha View Post
    My original question was in response to "not wanting a car at all". That is what I would have a hard time wrapping my head around. I guess I just do too much of a variety of things (though it certainly doesn't seem that way anymore). I understand not using your car much, but still having one to use. However, not having a car at all would greatly limit your employment options (unless remote work continues, though this seems to be slowly trending down, maybe to hybird level at most). Also, shopping for a family, not sure I want to carry 30 bags full of groceries for a good distance, or eating at the same 10 restaurants all the time. I understand some walking is good for you, but not when the heat index is 120ºF or wind chill is -20ºF. It's thing like this is what I was asking about... "not wanting a car at all". Are the housing options really that affordable in these areas that a grocery store or restaurant job can support you?
    We have multiple grocery delivery services. We have buses. We have Uber and Lyft. We have bicycle lanes. People have motorbikes and scooters. Expand your imagination a bit, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the huge majority of the US is and was rural ..

that hasn't changed .. and the % of people that lived in rural USA was higher back then
    This is completely irrelevant to the conversation.

It should be worth noting that at one time, families had one vehicle, not multiple vehicles. Even making it possible for people to reduce the number of vehicles they own would add another dimension to OKC's quality of life.

Owning a car is expensive. Car payment, insurance, upkeep, and fuel really add up. If you are live closely to most of the services you need, you could limit your ride share rides and bus fares and save a ton of money. Even a weekly trip to the grocery store could be done via ride share for about $30 round trip.

4. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

historically when and where ..

because that was NEVER the case in most of the United States
    Historically, Neighborhoods like the Paseo, Edgemere, Jefferson Park, Linwood Place, and S&S grocery still exists in Las Vegas, Pennville, and Youngs-Englewood. It is appalling to me how many people never spend time in the old urban core neighborhoods. Some, like the Plaza District, used to be such places. Those neighborhoods also have sidewalks and large parks. It is Suburban and Rural parts of the US that decided not to build such things.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Historically, Neighborhoods like the Paseo, Edgemere, Jefferson Park, Linwood Place, and S&S grocery still exists in Las Vegas, Pennville, and Youngs-Englewood. It is appalling to me how many people never spend time in the old urban core neighborhoods. Some, like the Plaza District, used to be such places. Those neighborhoods also have sidewalks and large parks. It is Suburban and Rural parts of the US that decided not to build such things.
    show me the walkable grocery in Harrah in 1930 or 1940 ..

6. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

show me the walkable grocery in Harrah in 1930 or 1940 ..
    The Town of Sweeney was renamed Harrah after Frank Harrah, a man who owned a dry goods and grocery store. It survived the Great Depression because of the Oklahoma Gas and Electric Company's electrical generating station. Most who lived there likely walked to the grocers every day. A simple look at the history of Harrah would have told you that.

7. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

This has been a very interesting discussion for me... we have a pretty diverse group of people here. I appreciate the feedback.

I grew up an a very small town (probably the size of some neighborhoods here). While I am sure some people did walk to the local grocery store, I don't remember anyone ever doing so. We had to drive about 30 miles to get to the nearest Wal-Mart and about 75 miles to get to the nearest McDonald's. As a kid, we rode I bikes to the convenient store (so we could get cokes and candy without our parents knowing, but that's back when it was safe to play outside). I even remember my granddad taking a trip to The City (that's OKC in small town talk) to go to Sam's Club. I still go to Sam's and then the WM Supercenter right by it, weekly... my entire trunk is full most weeks (I like buying in bulk, normally cheaper). I couldn't imagine going to the store more than once a week.

The no car idea so just so odd to me (probably based on the way I grew up). After reading here, I can definitely see how/why some people would like to minimize their car usage in these work-live-play areas, though... just not probably for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    The Town of Sweeney was renamed Harrah after Frank Harrah, a man who owned a dry goods and grocery store. It survived the Great Depression because of the Oklahoma Gas and Electric Company's electrical generating station. Most who lived there likely walked to the grocers every day. A simple look at the history of Harrah would have told you that.
    lol no

you should let my family know this .... they were not walking to the grocery store daily ..

I'm curious, why don't they keep the garage unless it's structurally damaged, so they can develop around it later?

10. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Quote Originally Posted by bamarsha View Post
    This has been a very interesting discussion for me... we have a pretty diverse group of people here. I appreciate the feedback.

I grew up an a very small town (probably the size of some neighborhoods here). While I am sure some people did walk to the local grocery store, I don't remember anyone ever doing so. We had to drive about 30 miles to get to the nearest Wal-Mart and about 75 miles to get to the nearest McDonald's. As a kid, we rode I bikes to the convenient store (so we could get cokes and candy without our parents knowing, but that's back when it was safe to play outside). I even remember my granddad taking a trip to The City (that's OKC in small town talk) to go to Sam's Club. I still go to Sam's and then the WM Supercenter right by it, weekly... my entire trunk is full most weeks (I like buying in bulk, normally cheaper). I couldn't imagine going to the store more than once a week.

The no car idea so just so odd to me (probably based on the way I grew up). After reading here, I can definitely see how/why some people would like to minimize their car usage in these work-live-play areas, though... just not probably for me.
    That is the point. Options. If someone wants to own cars and drive them everywhere all the time, I have no problem with that. It just strikes me as odd to not want more options for transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    I'm curious, why don't they keep the garage unless it's structurally damaged, so they can develop around it later?
    It is expensive to maintain and insure. It doesn't have any tenant, so it would be a cavern for the homeless and unruly element. It probably doesn't fit in the future layout. It is probably worth more if it is removed and attached as part of the overall property damage amount. They might need someone to guarantee there is zero structural damage before it could be occupied.

^
    I bet they were getting heat from the surrounding businesses and the City in general because the site looks terrible. Big investments have been made in all immediate directions and for a couple of years now, you have a charred concrete parking garage and weeds and mud.

Thread Information