Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Concerts in Oklahoma City

Default Re: Concerts in Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Wow. That seems like a lot of money for local, small venues.

I remember going to shows at (I wanna say the name was) Pyramid. In the basement of where the Bourbon St. restaurant entrance is. Seeing shows like Faith No More and Circus of Power around 1990 for about 15 to 25 bucks.
    $139.50 for Childish Gambino is at Paycom. Actual seats at the 100 level are more than that (we're seat snobs, won't get anything further away than that). Criterion, Tower, BCMH are usually around $30-80 (or higher sometimes, but not often), plus fees.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Wow. That seems like a lot of money for local, small venues.

I remember going to shows at (I wanna say the name was) Pyramid. In the basement of where the Bourbon St. restaurant entrance is. Seeing shows like Faith No More and Circus of Power around 1990 for about 15 to 25 bucks.
    Eh, the money part doesn't' seem to far off considering inflation and also popularity of the acts you referenced. $25 in 1990 is about $60 today. There's tons of great shows at smaller venues that are almost always less than $60 to get in. I don't recall ever paying more than $50 to get into Tower theater, for example. I wasn't around to enjoy the Pyramid but from your post it sounds like a pretty intimate basement venue.

I don't think comparing Childish Gambino with Faith No More is helpful as the two seemingly have pretty drastically different levels of popularity.

Depending on the concert I wait to buy anymore. Janet Jackson for example started at like $119 for club maybe more now it's down to $40 something like that. I think people just don't have the money right now for concerts.

This is happening all over. Concert promoters (Live Nation, AMG, etc) are overpricing tickets because they promised exorbitant amounts to artists for tours. When people don't pay, they either lower them precipitously, or cancel (in the case of J'Lo's tour).

5. Default Re: Concerts in Oklahoma City

A note of clarification: the club in the basement where Bourbon Street is today wasn’t Pyramid. Pyramid was upstairs. The club in the basement that regularly had shows was Kinetix.

6. Default Re: Concerts in Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    A note of clarification: the club in the basement where Bourbon Street is today wasn’t Pyramid. Pyramid was upstairs. The club in the basement that regularly had shows was Kinetix.
    I hit both clubs quite a bit back in the day, and remember parking on the north side of the building where the canal is now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    $139.50 for Childish Gambino is at Paycom. Actual seats at the 100 level are more than that (we're seat snobs, won't get anything further away than that). Criterion, Tower, BCMH are usually around $30-80 (or higher sometimes, but not often), plus fees.
    I was going to go until I found out Willow Smith is coheadlining the tour, I really dislike her music. Her and her brother do not have the same talent or charisma as their father.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    I was going to go until I found out Willow Smith is coheadlining the tour, I really dislike her music. Her and her brother do not have the same talent or charisma as their father.
    Yeah, that was a big "ugh" from me, but the chance to see him (especially from the floor) outweighs her appearance for us.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Criterion, Tower, BCMH are usually around $30-80 (or higher sometimes, but not often), plus fees.
    The irony is that I'd probably pay more for shows at those venues. So much better than arenas or oversized amphitheaters.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    The irony is that I'd probably pay more for shows at those venues. So much better than arenas or oversized amphitheaters.
    Shhh lol…this logic will ruin it for those of us who think that the true sweet spot is paying $10-$30 for shows at Resonant Head, which in turn is a much better experience than Criterion, Tower, and BCMH.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Shhh lol…this logic will ruin it for those of us who think that the true sweet spot is paying $10-$30 for shows at Resonant Head, which in turn is a much better experience than Criterion, Tower, and BCMH.
    Ha. I'll try and keep it down.

I still need to check it out. Looks like a great place.

Thread Information