Widgets Magazine
Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 5196979899100101
Results 2,501 to 2,524 of 2524

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

What was the impetus for the airport name change? Was it because Will Wogers World Aiwpowt sounds like you have a speech impediment? Or was it because we didn't want our airport named after a guy that died in a plane crash?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    At first I thought this was a good, modern idea...

But in the end, we end up with yet another generic name and brand.

At the trust meeting, there was a lot of talk about moving away from the 'cowboy' image in regard to the airport. So, we hire outside consultants and we get a name and logo that could be from anywhere.

Reminds me of what we did with our state tourism advertising.

Why not embrace those things (cowboy, western, native American culture) that make us unique instead of trying to look like every other city and state in the country?
    I agree.

Our inferiority complex leads us to run away from that for fear of how others might perceive our city and state. We're afraid others might view us as rubes or hicks.

I say we should embrace what makes us unique. What's the point in travel if you're just gonna eat at Applebee's but your a thousand miles from home? Everything is becoming so homogonized that our country is becoming one big strip mall with an Applebee's, a Starbucks, and a Walmart.

I still think the Native America marketing was our best. Now we get old Twitter license plates and Imagine That!

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    I still think the Native America marketing was our best. Now we get old Twitter license plates and Imagine That!
    Yes and they look like they were designed with clipart.

5. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

At the trust meeting, there was a lot of talk about moving away from the 'cowboy' image in regard to the airport. So, we hire outside consultants and we get a name and logo that could be from anywhere.

Why not embrace those things (cowboy, western, native American culture) that make us unique instead of trying to look like every other city and state in the country?
    Can you give an example of what you mean? Will Rogers was a mixed Cherokee Native American, aviation promoter and extremely popular entertainer during his time. "International" is used worldwide on airports. Yes, the sign/logo is generic but this can be changed anytime.

I still don't know a single person who ever referred to the airport as Will Rogers in any way. If this is your destination, you most likely are saying you are flying into OKC or Oklahoma City. We already have to deal with pilots saying Oak City, another nickname literally no serious person uses.

As for the branding/logo itself. I don't mind it although I think it could instead incorporate a plane silhouette into the K instead of the vague symbol from the inspiration plane. There has been an obvious shift with branding in regards to OKC vs Oklahoma. The Thunder and Mayor Holt have been pioneers in this regard. My personal opinion is I prefer to not be associated with the majority of the state, but I take massive pride in my association to OKC itself. When traveling, I even instinctively clarify that I am from OKC when someone learns I am from Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Who cares whether it’s called “world” or “international” all that matters is where the flights go.
    Well, obviously where the flights go matters more than what it's called. But by that account let's just call it The Oklahoma City Honkey Tonk Flying Tin Can Regional Spoke Juke Joint. The logo could just be an image of Ryan Walters looking to the sky curiously wondering how something so heavy could stay airborne for so long.

But if switching to "international" is, by adopting a naming convention typically used by airports with international flights, a sign of a larger initiative to actually make international flights out of OKC happen (of which as I'm sure we both know there are other signs that this is the case), then that is a good thing, even if it's just a couple of flights a day to Mexico. And if so, switching from world - a meaningless word in this context that as you note is not used by any other airport in the country (world?) and in my experience brought scoffs from anyone who heard it (both Oklahoman and non-Oklahoman) - to international seems to be a good and meaningful switch. But yes, if we remain a mostly inconsequential spoke airport with no international service or other major growth, the switch from "world" to "international" would seem to be quite meaningless and curious.

lmao love this!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I still don't know a single person who ever referred to the airport as Will Rogers in any way. If this is your destination, you most likely are saying you are flying into OKC or Oklahoma City. We already have to deal with pilots saying Oak City, another nickname literally no serious person uses. ...
    Somewhere, probably in this thread, it was mentioned that the "official" call sign/abbreviation/whatever that air traffic control/pilots are supposed to use is "Oke City" (I believe that's the spelling). And yes, nobody else except ATC/pilots use that, AFAIK.

Since OKC only has one commercial airport, we always just say "going to the airport" if we're here, or "going to OKC (or Oklahoma City)" if we're flying back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Well, obviously where the flights go matters more than what it's called. But by that account let's just call it The Oklahoma City Honkey Tonk Flying Tin Can Regional Spoke Juke Joint. The logo could just be an image of Ryan Walters looking to the sky curiously wondering how something so heavy could stay airborne for so long.

But if switching to "international" is, by adopting a naming convention typically used by airports with international flights, a sign of a larger initiative to actually make international flights out of OKC happen (of which as I'm sure we both know there are other signs that this is the case), then that is a good thing, even if it's just a couple of flights a day to Mexico. And if so, switching from world - a meaningless word in this context that as you note is not used by any other airport in the country (world?) and in my experience brought scoffs from anyone who heard it (both Oklahoman and non-Oklahoman) - to international seems to be a good and meaningful switch. But yes, if we remain a mostly inconsequential spoke airport with no international service or other major growth, the switch from "world" to "international" would seem to be quite meaningless and curious.
    Seeing as how that has nothing to do with anything...that wouldn't make any sense regardless. And World means WORLD, not regional which has never been part of the name.

The only reason I've ever heard anyone scoff at it being called "World" was due to us having no international flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I still don't know a single person who ever referred to the airport as Will Rogers in any way. If this is your destination, you most likely are saying you are flying into OKC or Oklahoma City. We already have to deal with pilots saying Oak City, another nickname literally no serious person uses.

As for the branding/logo itself. I don't mind it although I think it could instead incorporate a plane silhouette into the K instead of the vague symbol from the inspiration plane. There has been an obvious shift with branding in regards to OKC vs Oklahoma. The Thunder and Mayor Holt have been pioneers in this regard. My personal opinion is I prefer to not be associated with the majority of the state, but I take massive pride in my association to OKC itself. When traveling, I even instinctively clarify that I am from OKC when someone learns I am from Oklahoma.
    I mean we only have one airport so most people just call it "the airport."

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    lmao love this!
    Disagree. I am now also mad at the airport director.

From the Journal Record yesterday: https://journalrecord.com/2024/07/ok...ransit-routes/

International air travel

The council also set a public hearing and final vote for July 18 on the allocation of $500,000 to the Alliance for Economic Development of Oklahoma City to help recruit international air service to Will Rogers World Airport.

“The state of Oklahoma is making funds available to airports in the state for air service development and it requires a local match,” Jeff Mulder, airports director, told the council.

The $500,000 in general obligation limited tax fund bonds designated for economic and community development would serve as the local match needed to apply for $2.5 million in federal dollars.

“We are in the process of recruiting for new air service,” Mulder said, specifically international service to begin next year.

The airport expects to complete this year the construction of a $12 million customs Federal Inspection Station that can support international travel.

Officials say nearly 100,000 Oklahoma City residents travel to Mexico and Central America annually, connecting through other hubs.

Mulder said the grant would be used like an insurance policy to entice an air carrier to begin service into the market. “If they ended up losing money … they would be able to use these funds to replenish their losses,” he said.
    Sounds like this is almost certainly going to happen.

I agree. I don't mind adding OKC to the name. But there was nothing wrong with the "World" part or the cowboy logo.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    What was the impetus for the airport name change? Was it because Will Wogers World Aiwpowt sounds like you have a speech impediment? Or was it because we didn't want our airport named after a guy that died in a plane crash?
    I think the Will Rogers fame is wearing off, he died almost 100 years ago, and while one of the most well known people of his day, his name and what he was known for probably has little meaning to those under a certain age, and I am guessing the airport's research reflected this.

You could say the same for other buildings, highways, etc around the metro. Shannon Miller Parkway in Edmond doesn't carry the same excitement it did during the 90's, there is a generation that has no connection to a Norick Library or State Fair Arena, and the Gaylord name is known more now for a stadium in Norman, than the long history of a media empire.

I think in this case, since the airport is such a external facing part of the city's marketing and infrastructure, it prompted the name change to a more prominent OKC, and less emphasis on Will Rogers.

On a related note, Wichita did the opposite and rebranded their airport from "Wichita Mid-Continent Airport" to "Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport" when they opened the new terminal a few years ago.

In the meeting, they said the main impetus was redesigning their website.

I'm sure the thought was, "This logo and branding are old, and we don't want to use them if it's all going to change soon".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    I think the Will Rogers fame is wearing off, he died almost 100 years ago, and while one of the most well known people of his day, his name and what he was known for probably has little meaning to those under a certain age, and I am guessing the airport's research reflected this.
    So, NYC should change the name of LaGuardia Airport?

Remember the entire commercial development on the east side of the airport is called "Lariat Landing", which only makes sense in conjunction with that Will Rogers/lasso logo which is featured prominently in all their marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, NYC should change the name of LaGuardia Airport?
    No, in this case NYC is referred to as LaGuardia by the general public and it's IATA is "LGA", to help differentiate itself from "JFK" in New York City, and "EWR" in Newark, NJ as they are all commercial main-line airports in the NYC Metro. However, I had no idea until looking up tonight who LaGuardia was, former NYC mayor for 11 years in the 1930's and 1940's. The name is certainly associated more with the airport than his contributions as mayor. LaGuardia, Dulles, and LAX have certainly had lots of exposure too in movies and TV Shows.

OKC Airport research probably reflected that very few people were referring to the airport as "Will Rogers" or the Will Roger's name didn't test well with those not from OKC on where this airport was located geographically in the United States.

"Tulsa International" is quickly identifiable, compared to "Will Rogers World Airport" if you were not from Oklahoma.

DFW Airport makes sense to me and is commonly referred to just as "DFW", when talking to those about American Airline layovers/flights.
    Dallas Love is named after an Army Soldier who died in a plane crash in 1913, but I think many know associate it with Southwest Airlines as they fully embrace the LOVE branding in their "LUV" NYSE and heart branding on aircraft and logo and essentially run Love Field as their personal airport controlling 18 of the 20 gates.

However, I just call it "Atlanta" for those on Delta and not "Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport" despite it being consistently the busiest airport in all of America.

20. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I've always thought many people in Oklahoma have an inferiority complex and thus anything to do with cowboys, the West, or native Americans is associated with being backward Okies.

But look at Texas. They are an economic juggernaut and what makes them unique? The same cowboy, rough-and-tumble image (plus Latinx culture -- look at San Antonio) that they openly embrace.

When I first moved to California, I went to school with people from all over the country. A friend from New Jersey (undergrad at Villanova) had some of his pals come for a visit. This is how he introduced me: "This is Pete. He's from one of those big rectangular states somewhere in the middle."
    Pete, here's another thought. We already have the western theme airport and lasso logo - is it getting OKC the same kind of attention that TX is getting that you're saying? I mean, OKC is already doing the western theme not chosing from something else deciding between a western and a modern one moving forward. Even in your example, "Oklahoma" wasn't notable - even with Will Rogers World Airport and his image, so why not try something new?

OKC is more than western, it is also "indian". We have NOT promoted that part of our culture but we are more and more today with the FAM and OKANA and more coming online. Why not let the cultural districts promote themselves once people get here? We also have a black culture in OKC too, do we need to put that in our airport's name? We also have a Vietnamese and Mexican culture in OKC. Again, do we need to put that also in the name? or Logo?

I like the move OKC is doing because it is a refresh and is modern. We have plenty of cowboy culture to continue to promote when people come here. In all fairness, is ANY airport in TX (big brother) doing a cowboy culture theme? No, so far that's been unique to OKC but might also a bit small time on the grand scheme of things - possibly enabling one of the many stereotypes that people point to as a sneer against OKC (even just look at the Olympics).

People in OKC are more proud of the city today (even actively defending it) than ever before. I believe it is due to OKC rising as a modern city (largely because of MAPS and the Thunder), so why not promote OKC as the next modern city? Promote Oklahoma City as the new international modern city, which it is becoming, and let it become known for more than just cowboy culture.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

21. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I actually came here for the following but saw the regression and thought I'd add flavor that wasn't mentioned. But the airport is serious about getting international flights within the next year:

https://www.youtube.com/live/Fp4HyA4...SNp2ipK&t=1522
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Not to really change the subject but why is Allegiant leaving? Great low cost option. Who will fill their shoes for cheap rates?

Hopefully we get some new routes with the new branding and funding approved for route development (with a federal match, I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Not to really change the subject but why is Allegiant leaving? Great low cost option. Who will fill their shoes for cheap rates?
    Southwest? Frontier?

We found the Allegiant routes too inconsistent for us to travel and arrive and leave on the days we wanted compared to Southwest having three or so non-stops to Las Vegas every day.

Frontier isn't a bad option if you travel light, don't mind a stop in Denver to your final destination, and can make it work with your schedule. At one time they had the "season pass" option for unlimited flights to save money, not sure if they still have that option.

Thread Information