Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Science Museum Oklahoma

1. Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

Some of their newest stores do not have the logo with the yellow backing. Also, at Love's Field, they left out a lot of the yellow and went with White lettering. They are moving to change many things, but in this case, they needed the yellow for us to see the Love's lettering. Brand standards are brand standards. The more consistent you are, the better it is for your brand. I do not mind Love's sticking with their brand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LovesExteriorNew_2000x800.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	18987 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2024-05-25.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	18988

Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    According to their website, the new planetarium will open 9/20. Photo credit warreng88:

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Some of their newest stores do not have the logo with the yellow backing. Also, at Love's Field, they left out a lot of the yellow and went with White lettering. They are moving to change many things, but in this case, they needed the yellow for us to see the Love's lettering. Brand standards are brand standards. The more consistent you are, the better it is for your brand. I do not mind Love's sticking with their brand.

Imagine that same size and placement but with the nice wooden background from this store sign, we'd be having a different conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post

They do have a yellow font Loves sign on newer stores and a design with white font that goes on black employee uniforms that would have worked perfectly.

I doubt any thought went into it. Wouldn't be surprised if this is just what Loves emailed over to the Science Museum people.

4. Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

I was just told by a source close to Love's that they had to negotiate with OU and had to change the logo only for OU and the Field.

5. Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    They do have a yellow font Loves sign on newer stores and a design with white font that goes on black employee uniforms that would have worked perfectly.

I doubt any thought went into it. Wouldn't be surprised if this is just what Loves emailed over to the Science Museum people.
    This is the case when asked what logo to use for the planetary. They most likely gave them their brand standard logo.

The whole wall wrap looks like it was designed last minute in PowerPoint. At least the OmniDome had a semi-decent logo during its existence, this literally is Word Art with a made up planet and out of place branding for a logo. Doesn't seem world class for the millions spent on it.

If you have visited other science museums, you quickly realize that the only thing SMO really has going for itself is square footage, which I think hurts them in keeping everything working and relevant on limited budgets. There are also large areas of just empty space at SMO.

Scott Family Amazeum in Bentonville, Exploration Place in Wichita are much smaller, but seem to be much more modern and interactive. The Perot Museum is laid out on four or five floors in Dallas, but each floor seems packed with working exhibits, and meaningful traveling exhibitions.

Blog Entries

We need to be Thankful for the corporations that step up to the plate for Oklahoma City and Oklahoma. ONLY BIG LEAUE MAJOR PROFESIONAL FRANCHISE IN OKLAHOMA.

The Love's patch on the Thunder uniforms is another example of 'some' on this forum who should focus more on Love's support for the team and city. We don't have the abundance of corporations like Dallas. Houston and San Antonio who support their NBA franchises.

Love's, Devon, Paycom, OG&E, Chesapeake, Continental Resources, Sonic, Sandridge and others who contribute to the sports and entertainment 'quality of life' aspects our city helps highlight--WE THANK YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I guess when an organization doesn't want obnoxious branding its the Love Family doing the donating and not the company?Attachment 18985

Anyway, It is what is when you don't have any other sources of funding. Doesn't seem like philanthropy if your doing it under your company brand. I wonder what the number two donor thinks?
    Ask all the students at OSU that paid (and are still paying for) the Boone Pickens Stadium improvements, second biggest "donors" and no naming rights or gratitude.

9. Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    The whole wall wrap looks like it was designed last minute in PowerPoint. At least the OmniDome had a semi-decent logo during its existence, this literally is Word Art with a made up planet and out of place branding for a logo. Doesn't seem world class for the millions spent on it.

If you have visited other science museums, you quickly realize that the only thing SMO really has going for itself is square footage, which I think hurts them in keeping everything working and relevant on limited budgets. There are also large areas of just empty space at SMO.

Scott Family Amazeum in Bentonville, Exploration Place in Wichita are much smaller, but seem to be much more modern and interactive. The Perot Museum is laid out on four or five floors in Dallas, but each floor seems packed with working exhibits, and meaningful traveling exhibitions.
    I dont think that's an entirely fair evaluation. There are some areas that are open, but I actually like having that open space with the breathing room. It's also expansion room for one day in the future. Yes, there are areas that seriously need to be updated (that whole dental and earthquake zone) and yes a lot of displays seem to be broken. But I do see that around the country at other places as well. But you can see where MASSIVE effort (and funding) was put in for areas like the Curiocity area. That was a major game changer for SMO in terms of interactions and exhibits. But they were able to do that without really having to take much out because they have that space.

I'd really like to see the air and space area expanded myself and some of the more modern concepts added like AI or more computer focused exhibits since that's relevant now. Why not talk about radio/cell and how those work. There are a LOT of areas of science that could be expanded on, but like you said, they also have a limited budget to do these things without a big donor...hence Loves. Unless you're willing to give them a couple million dollars, then your entrance ticket isn't going to fit the bill. Even if they have weird really old areas like the bikes that just hang there, or weird art that doesn't make sense to me at a science museum....but it's still tons better than most anything like it around the country.

The main exhibit hall could use a remodel which maybe that's the next thing to be done since the old planetarium is going to be vacant. Half of the second floor should be closed off when they are not using it. That big open space is only necessary for the traveling exhibits. I think part of the main reason for the new planetarium is to create a new astronomy space and reactivate that half of the building. I don't really think its that much bigger.

11. Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

A little empty space now means room for additional exhibits and those "meaningful traveling exhibits" ypu just mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    A little empty space now means room for additional exhibits and those "meaningful traveling exhibits" ypu just mentioned.
    I get that in regards to the open space upstairs. However, the last one I remember was the Sherlock Holmes exhibit in 2021. Has there been a traveling exhibit upstairs since? We have been SMO members for the past 6-7 years. When CurioCity first opened it was great. All of the exhibits worked. Our last few visits, CurioCity was in bad shape. Burned out projectors, no sound on exhibits, things not lighting up, or accessories missing, and some areas completely abandoned. Given how much space SMO has, it seems they can't keep up with the overall wear and tear of the facility. The same went with the original planetarium when it received the new projectors in 2019-2020, in the past few trips the projectors are dimmer, mis-aligned, etc. In this case I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as I am sure maintenance was differed towards the new planetarium. The weather exhibit near the mirror maze downstairs is a shame that there hasn't been a stronger partnership with someone like Griffin, Hearst, or Nexstar in re-branding this area and really showcasing Oklahoma weather. It appears the last update to this area was about 1996 with the dated skyline and old KFOR branding.

Over the past two years we have used our SMO Membership more in Dallas and Wichita with the ASTC Passport program than we do at SMO. For whatever reasons, Dallas and Wichita seem to get many more of the traveling exhibits, and while Wichita's Exploration Place is smaller, our experience there has been better as the exhibits are much more interactive and better kept. The best example of this would be how the airplane and Exploration Space at SMO is primarily static exhibits, while Wichita has much more hands-on exhibits, simulators, etc. I feel like Wichita is a fair comparison on the amount of corporate dollars available to a museum like this.

Dallas has the Perot name behind it, so I imagine his estate has some form of an endowment to facilitate care of the facility. However the traveling exhibit space at Perot seems to be on-par with what's available at SMO square footage wise.

I get that in regards to the open space upstairs. However, the last one I remember was the Sherlock Holmes exhibit in 2021. Has there been a traveling exhibit upstairs since? We have been SMO members for the past 6-7 years. When CurioCity first opened it was great. All of the exhibits worked. Our last few visits, CurioCity was in bad shape. Burned out projectors, no sound on exhibits, things not lighting up, or accessories missing, and some areas completely abandoned. Given how much space SMO has, it seems they can't keep up with the overall wear and tear of the facility. The same went with the original planetarium when it received the new projectors in 2019-2020, in the past few trips the projectors are dimmer, mis-aligned, etc. In this case I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as I am sure maintenance was differed towards the new planetarium. The weather exhibit near the mirror maze downstairs is a shame that there hasn't been a stronger partnership with someone like Griffin, Hearst, or Nexstar in re-branding this area and really showcasing Oklahoma weather. It appears the last update to this area was about 1996 with the dated skyline and old KFOR branding.

Over the past two years we have used our SMO Membership more in Dallas and Wichita with the ASTC Passport program than we do at SMO. For whatever reasons, Dallas and Wichita seem to get many more of the traveling exhibits, and while Wichita's Exploration Place is smaller, our experience there has been better as the exhibits are much more interactive and better kept. The best example of this would be how the airplane and Exploration Space at SMO is primarily static exhibits, while Wichita has much more hands-on exhibits, simulators, etc. I feel like Wichita is a fair comparison on the amount of corporate dollars available to a museum like this.

Dallas has the Perot name behind it, so I imagine his estate has some form of an endowment to facilitate care of the facility. However the traveling exhibit space at Perot seems to be on-par with what's available at SMO square footage wise.
    There is always some sort of traveling exhibit upstairs, some of them better or more interesting than others. Last time I was there there was some NFT exhibit.

Thread Information