Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Default Re: OKC Dodgers New Nickname

Quote Originally Posted by Nhampson View Post
    They still embraced 89ers hard, including a weekly 89ers night as well as selling merch. I guess I don’t understand why calling them that full time instead of once a week is that big of a deal.
    Its a lot easier to stop that promotion temporarily until the heat dies down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    the ONLY reason to drop OKC Dodgers is if they were going to bring back the OKC 89ers. I could also see the OKC Lightning possibly work but to me it sounds like a pro womens team of sorts (no offense to anyone).

RedHawks was the WORST name for an OKC team. Energy is taken, so why change from the big league if we're not going to resurrect our roots/founding with 89ers??
    We had a pro women's football team called the Oklahoma City Lightning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_Lightning

I think Baseball is in so much trouble that they are flailing at every issue at the same time in a desperate attempt to stop the free fall. TV ratings are falling so much that they have to put their League Championship Series on secondary cable channels, like FS1. The average viewer is a 63 year old white male. Due to analytics, the games are a 3 hour slog, comprised of strike outs, home runs, and some walks. Pitchers are being forced to damage their elbow ligaments in such a way that they require Tommy John reconstructive surgery at a higher rate than any sports injury on earth. Franchise values, even 10 years ago, were where MLB was close to NFL, and clearly higher than NBA, with NHL following way behind. Now, the MLB "not large-not small" standard bearer Baltimore Orioles (with their prototypical Camden Yards Stadium) sold for $1.3 billion dollars. The comparable Washington Commanders of the NFL sold for $6 billion. The NBA expansion price is $4 billion. And the absolute cheapest, NHL bottom feeder Arizona Coyotes, sold for $1 billion to people that are willing to move it to Salt Lake City as a secondary "winter sports" team.

All of that is to say that the Dodgers name no longer has the legacy value that makes it more important than something like Flycatchers, Space Cowboys, or 89ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I think Baseball is in so much trouble that they are flailing at every issue at the same time in a desperate attempt to stop the free fall. TV ratings are falling so much that they have to put their League Championship Series on secondary cable channels, like FS1. The average viewer is a 63 year old white male. Due to analytics, the games are a 3 hour slog, comprised of strike outs, home runs, and some walks. Pitchers are being forced to damage their elbow ligaments in such a way that they require Tommy John reconstructive surgery at a higher rate than any sports injury on earth. Franchise values, even 10 years ago, were where MLB was close to NFL, and clearly higher than NBA, with NHL following way behind. Now, the MLB "not large-not small" standard bearer Baltimore Orioles (with their prototypical Camden Yards Stadium) sold for $1.3 billion dollars. The comparable Washington Commanders of the NFL sold for $6 billion. The NBA expansion price is $4 billion. And the absolute cheapest, NHL bottom feeder Arizona Coyotes, sold for $1 billion to people that are willing to move it to Salt Lake City as a secondary "winter sports" team.

All of that is to say that the Dodgers name no longer has the legacy value that makes it more important than something like Flycatchers, Space Cowboys, or 89ers.
    Yea, i think the game needs more offense, a more consistent strike zone (the strike zone the Yankees get relative to their opponents is absurd), and maybe one or two other tweaks if they are serious about engaging fans for months other than October.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Just for fun, I'll toss "OKC Lightning" into the mix...so you can have Thunder and Lightning.
    No, that would be terrible and boring

Blog Entries

I think Baseball is in so much trouble that they are flailing at every issue at the same time in a desperate attempt to stop the free fall. TV ratings are falling so much that they have to put their League Championship Series on secondary cable channels, like FS1. The average viewer is a 63 year old white male. Due to analytics, the games are a 3 hour slog, comprised of strike outs, home runs, and some walks.
    In 2024 with the pitch clock games are down to 2 hours, 37 minutes on average.
    https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...%20mid%2D1980s.

Pitchers are being forced to damage their elbow ligaments in such a way that they require Tommy John reconstructive surgery at a higher rate than any sports injury on earth. Franchise values, even 10 years ago, were where MLB was close to NFL, and clearly higher than NBA, with NHL following way behind. Now, the MLB "not large-not small" standard bearer Baltimore Orioles (with their prototypical Camden Yards Stadium) sold for $1.3 billion dollars. The comparable Washington Commanders of the NFL sold for $6 billion. The NBA expansion price is $4 billion. And the absolute cheapest, NHL bottom feeder Arizona Coyotes, sold for $1 billion to people that are willing to move it to Salt Lake City as a secondary "winter sports" team.
    This is inaccurate. A controlling interest (40%) in the Orioles was sold for $1.725 billion valuing the team at $4.3 billion or 72% of the Commanders.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/ne...wners-approve/

The Dodgers are the second most valuable team in Baseball and in the World Series, being affiliated with them is a good thing.
    https://www.forbes.com/teams/los-angeles-dodgers/

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post

This is inaccurate. A controlling interest (40%) in the Orioles was sold for $1.725 billion valuing the team at $4.3 billion or 72% of the Commanders.

The Dodgers are the second most valuable team in Baseball and in the World Series, being affiliated with them is a good thing.
    correct on all fronts ..

also FS1 is in no way a secondary cable channel ..

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post

I'm not finding the $4.3 billion number being used in the story linked. I googled Orioles sale price and found a Sports Business Journal story from May 2024 that suggested David Rubenstein wound up owning 97% of the team. The only number in that story was $1.725 billion.

I also googled Nationals asking price and found Washington Post (and others) stories that say the Lerner family have been asking $2 billion-ish for a couple years without a taker. However, Wizards and Capitols owner Ted Leonsis says he is very interested and has told the Lerner's that many times.

I fully agree that the Dodgers name should be a positive. I just don't think the world agrees as much as it used to. And, to be fair, the Dodgers took the name back. OKC did not toss it aside, or give it up. OKC had to let it go.

I never have learned how to link. I do not mean to be evasive, or a post and run without proof person. Just haven't figured out how, yet. And probably spend more time this way than if I had figured it out.

Blog Entries

I'm not finding the $4.3 billion number being used in the story linked. I googled Orioles sale price and found a Sports Business Journal story from May 2024 that suggested David Rubenstein wound up owning 97% of the team. The only number in that story was $1.725 billion.

I also googled Nationals asking price and found Washington Post (and others) stories that say the Lerner family have been asking $2 billion-ish for a couple years without a taker. However, Wizards and Capitols owner Ted Leonsis says he is very interested and has told the Lerner's that many times.

I fully agree that the Dodgers name should be a positive. I just don't think the world agrees as much as it used to. And, to be fair, the Dodgers took the name back. OKC did not toss it aside, or give it up. OKC had to let it go.

I never have learned how to link. I do not mean to be evasive, or a post and run without proof person. Just haven't figured out how, yet. And probably spend more time this way than if I had figured it out.
    The control stake of the team -- along with its related assets, including its stake in the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network -- was sold for $1.725 billion to Rubenstein, a Baltimore native and the co-founder/co-chairman of The Carlyle Group.

Rubenstein has reportedly purchased a 40% stake of the team. According to a report by The Athletic, he and his ownership group will soon acquire the remainder of the Angelos family’s 70% stake.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/david-ruben...rship-approved

The MLB announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Yea, i think the game needs more offense, a more consistent strike zone (the strike zone the Yankees get relative to their opponents is absurd), and maybe one or two other tweaks if they are serious about engaging fans for months other than October.
    Change the game too much and it's not baseball anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Change the game too much and it's not baseball anymore.
    The NBA and NFL make substantial rule changes every year and they have increased popularity. Older baseball fans love tradition and it's killing the sport.

Thread Information