Widgets Magazine

Thread: I-35 & 2nd St, Edmond

Default I-35 & 2nd St, Edmond

Does anybody know what the construction along I-35 around 2nd ST in Edmond is going to be? Lot of signage and equipment.

Default Re: I-35 & 2nd St, Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    Does anybody know what the construction along I-35 around 2nd ST in Edmond is going to be? Lot of signage and equipment.
    should be the work converting the access road to One way from memorial - 2nd ..

and adding texas turnarounds

From ODOTs website:
    "The $18 million project will resurface and add shoulders to north and southbound I-35 as well as build turnarounds at 33rd St., 15th St. and 2nd St. This project also includes the first phase of a one-way frontage road conversion along I-35 in Edmond."

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    should be the work converting the access road to One way from memorial - 2nd ..

and adding texas turnarounds
    Yes first phase

This is a huge first step in making the much needed improvements in the area. Once the bridges are expanded to add the turnarounds, the service roads will be able to switch to one way. This work will also lead to I35 being expanded to 6 lanes up to Waterloo.

The 35 is programmed to be six lanes to SH-33.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The 35 is programmed to be six lanes to SH-33.
    Right, just speaking of what’s next. Don’t expect expansion to 33 for another 8-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    This is a huge first step in making the much needed improvements in the area. Once the bridges are expanded to add the turnarounds, the service roads will be able to switch to one way. This work will also lead to I35 being expanded to 6 lanes up to Waterloo.
    FINALLY. This is about 20 years late in much needed infrastructure in that area.

9. Default Re: I-35 & 2nd St, Edmond

anyone have a visual I can look at?

I aways heard I-35 will be winding to Guthrie, but always in the planning stage.....and that Waterloo / I-35 intersection is something else, something needed to be done there years ago. I drive this every day, not looking forward to the congestion, but glad improvements are being made. THANX GUYS

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    I aways heard I-35 will be winding to Guthrie, but always in the planning stage.....and that Waterloo / I-35 intersection is something else, something needed to be done there years ago. I drive this every day, not looking forward to the congestion, but glad improvements are being made. THANX GUYS
    I think right now 2nd street to Waterloo actual widening is somewhere near end of 5 years from now.
    Have to get the Waterloo bridge done first and that starting mid next year

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    I think right now 2nd street to Waterloo actual widening is somewhere near end of 5 years from now.
    Have to get the Waterloo bridge done first and that starting mid next year
    2029 is the current schedule of the 6 lane to the county line ... (the new okdot 8 year plan is do any day now) ..

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Pretty the widening to Waterloo will also add NB entry and SB exit for Danforth and an interchange for Coffee Creek. Not sure about Sorghum Mill.

14. Default Re: I-35 & 2nd St, Edmond

Does anyone know if the turnaround bridges will include sidewalks and bike lanes? They are sorely needed. There is no way to cross the current bridges in anything but a car without taking your life in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Pretty the widening to Waterloo will also add NB entry and SB exit for Danforth and an interchange for Coffee Creek. Not sure about Sorghum Mill.
    I was told by ODOT the endgame is to add exits and entrances at all section line roads. Not sure if that'll be part of the widening but I am sure they will build it to be constructed in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseDweller View Post
    Does anyone know if the turnaround bridges will include sidewalks and bike lanes? They are sorely needed. There is no way to cross the current bridges in anything but a car without taking your life in your hands.
    They will include sidewalks but no bike lanes. ODOT is slowly taking their time including bike lanes in specific projects but they are few and far between. Don't ever expect bike lanes from an ODOT project IMO. Contact your local legislator and ask them to write a bill requiring the consideration of bike lanes for any road project ODOT under takes.

The Fox Lake walking/biking trail already goes under I35 just south of second so ODOT probably doesn't see the need for bike lanes.

2nd Street is also apart of US 77 so you would also have to get the Feds to agree to add a bike lane.

It's an interstate and main road highway exit with big box stores. Is a bike lane really a thing needed at this location?

The only bike lanes I see used in Edmond are the ones designated for recreation, like the trails to Arcadia or loop around Mitch Park. I have not seen a single rider on the bike lanes by 2nd and UCO. Those on bikes, tend to use the sidewalk as Edmond drivers are not conditioned for bike riders and not knowing how to properly yield or give space. Edmond is not designed to be a bike city, the town is very compartmentalized and not mixed retail/housing/services that would see a benefit from biking.

In a town that is traffic ridden due to extremely poor planning and an obsession for red stoplights, all focus should be on making traffic move smoother across the city.

Thread Information