Widgets Magazine
Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38838485868788
Results 2,176 to 2,198 of 2198

Thread: University Town Center

Default Re: University Town Center

Despite my reservations about so many aspects of this project, those areas rendering look amazing.

I am not a fan of the traditional university gothic look for this. I thought they would go with something for sleek in modern. I think the original conceptual renderings were better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Red brick and white trim is a eternal Oklahoma classic, I like it.

4. Default Re: University Town Center

I think adhering to Cherokee Gothic styling is pretty appropriate here; it helps define this arena as an extension of the OU campus. The architectural style was coined by none other than Frank LLoyd Wright on a visit to the OU campus, the university is the vanguard of this particular variation on collegiate gothic, and pretty much every construction project on campus over the past 30 years has leaned heavily back into the style. It’s OU’s thing, very specifically. It should be celebrated.

As pointed out by many fans on Twitter... hilarious that the renderings show a bunch of fans in the lobby carrying flags that would obviously never be allowed inside a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
    As pointed out by many fans on Twitter... hilarious that the renderings show a bunch of fans in the lobby carrying flags that would obviously never be allowed inside a game.
    Was wondering about that. Looks like the Storming of the Bastille.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I'm sure we will see legal challenges over the next few years. We will see where it goes in the end.
    There will be a public referendum. This is far from being a done deal. I have my doubts this ever actually gets built, certainly nothing like the renderings.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
    Or the fans wearing backpacks. But I guess software didn't have any fans wearing OU t-shirts to pick from.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    But yeah, organic development will happen here. Lol. Hasn't for 15 years, won't without this TIF. But I also get the other side.
    What did UNP look like 15-20 years ago? Mostly nothing right? Why wouldnt it continue to develop without the arena over the next 15 years? Do you really think a fairly small college arena will set off a flurry of restaurants and apartments? The only reason you will see some of that is OU needs some ad valorem taxes to pay them back for some of the arena. Thats why I think you will see apartments built quickly, but commercial development is another story. The Olive Gardens of the world dont really care about a college arena being nearby.

I like the rendering! Looks like a mixture of Gothic with a modern twist! To bad that this may come to a public initiative. I attended the University of Oklahoma and have always liked Norman, however, it makes me question if the residents of Norman are as progressive and forward thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    I like the rendering! Looks like a mixture of Gothic with a modern twist! To bad that this may come to a public initiative. I attended the University of Oklahoma and have always liked Norman, however, it makes me question if the residents of Norman are as progressive and forward thinking?
    Lack of forward thinking maybe. But building sports stadiums/arenas hasn't really been associated with progressive ideas.

12. Default Re: University Town Center

Yes. Most of the against has come from both side of the aisle. They would rather see tax funds not diverted and be for anything from a homeless shelter to roads to police. I guess we will see how it changes the general fund in the next few years. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Yes. Most of the against has come from both side of the aisle. They would rather see tax funds not diverted and be for anything from a homeless shelter to roads to police. I guess we will see how it changes the general fund in the next few years. Who knows.
    that of course is failed thinking ... these taxes don't exist with out this project ..... so there is nothing to divert elsewhere ..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    There will be a public referendum. This is far from being a done deal. I have my doubts this ever actually gets built, certainly nothing like the renderings.
    I do not believe the public vote is binding. It is basically a feel-good vote.

That said, I find it hard to believe the citizens would vote down the largest development opportunity in the history of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I do not believe the public vote is binding. It is basically a feel-good vote.

That said, I find it hard to believe the citizens would vote down the largest development opportunity in the history of the city.
    the previous public vote (that didn't occur) would not have been binding ..

a referendum generated public vote .. is binding ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    that of course is failed thinking ... these taxes don't exist with out this project ..... so there is nothing to divert elsewhere ..
    But those funds this would generate won't be going to the general fund, while the general fund will have to pay for infrastructure and police and additional resources, due to a large-scale project like this. Where will that money come from?

But those funds this would generate won't be going to the general fund, while the general fund will have to pay for infrastructure and police and additional resources, due to a large-scale project like this. Where will that money come from?
    1.125% of sales tax collected in the TIF District will still go to the City's Public Safety (0.5%),
    Norman Forward (0.5%) and Public Transportation (0.125%) programs.
    the city will still get part of the sales taxes .... and public safety is one of the parts that the TIF doesn't touch ..

the city will still get part of the sales taxes .... and public safety is one of the parts that the TIF doesn't touch ..
    Ok. I must have missed that part. Thank you for sharing.

Ok. I must have missed that part. Thank you for sharing.
    As it stands now the public safety tax does not cover all public safety obligations. The Police, EMS, and Fire Dept all rely on the general fund as well. So this proposed district will deplete more general fund in order to cover operations in a district that does not contribute to the general fund. Public Safety is 24% of the general fund expenditure. Hopefully if it withstands challenge the district will not need a new firehouse or cop shop.

the previous public vote (that didn't occur) would not have been binding ..

a referendum generated public vote .. is binding ..
    Exactly, and I don’t see any way that doesn’t happen.

21. Default Re: University Town Center

Main Event permit filed in August for 9million. That should start going up shortly.

Any update on the PF Chang?

23. Default Re: University Town Center

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Any update on the PF Chang?
    Nothing filed yet. September permits should be out next week or so.

Thread Information