View Full Version : Shorty Smalls

metro
05-08-2007, 07:46 AM
My wife and I ate at the original Shorty Smalls on Meridian and Reno last week. I have to say, despite the trend of several of their restaurants closing the last few months, I could definitely say the place is trying to make a turn around. We overheard one waiter talking about some of the changes that had been made and are going to be made. The outside of the building had received new paint. The bathrooms were updated (although we didn't go check). The menu was revamped a little bit. He also mentioned how they don't use frozen meat cuts any more. They butcher fresh cuts of meat everyday now. I've always loved the place but some items have always been better than others. There steaks have always been bland with no flavor, unfortunately I didn't try one the other night.

I was in a mexican mood so I ordered the fiesta nachos (they also have bbq nachos) and the portion was very generous for the price. I couldn't even finish all mine. My wife had the chicken fried steak and it was also good. We topped it off with a hot fudge brownie and it was great as well. Hopefully this place is turning around for the better.

FYI on a sidenote, the Outback Steakhouse across the street is closed due to a fire. I'm not sure if they are closing for good or plan on reopening. I couldn't see any reconstruction going on.