View Full Version : Oklahoma Factory Shoppes - I40 & Council

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Steve
11-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Walls are going up quickly!

metro
11-10-2010, 02:54 PM
As long as they have a Big Dog clothing company I'm happy..........

soonerliberal
11-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Update from NewsOK:

http://newsok.com/outlet-mall-on-track-for-august-2011-opening-in-oklahoma-city/article/3513743?custom_click=pod_lead_business

A listing of stores:

Merchants line up for shoppers
Smashburger, a popular restaurant chain based in Denver, joins the growing list of tenants set to open next year at the Outlet Shoppes at Oklahoma City. Smashburger boasts it is set apart from other chains by hamburgers that are cooked with a one-third or half-pound ball of 100-percent Angus beef — fresh, not frozen — smashed, seared and seasoned on a flat grill.

Other prospective occupants
Other tenants set to open at the outlet mall include: Aeropostale, Auntie Anne's, Banana Republic, Bass, Bon Worth, Brooks Brothers, Carter's, Chico's, Children's Place, Coach, Converse, Corning Revere, Dress Barn, Easy Spirit, Gap, Guess, Gymboree, Hanesbrands, Izod, Johnston and Murphy, Jones NY, Journeys, Kasper, Kay Jewelry, Kitchen Collection, Lane Bryant, Le Gourmet Chef, Levi's, Lids, Maurices, Naturalizer, Nike, Nine West, OshKosh B'Gosh, Reebok/Rockport, rue21, Saks Fifth Avenue Off Fifth, Skechers, Stride Rite, Sunglass Hut, Tommy Hilfiger, Ultra Jewelry, Under Armour, Uniform Outlet, U.S. Polo and Assn., Van Heusen and Wilsons Leather.

metro
11-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Downtown news beat must be slow lately. Paseo/Outlet Mall, etc.

Steve
11-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Waking up grumpy again Metro?

Patrick
11-15-2010, 03:47 PM
I just don't see why everyone is so giddy about this. It's just like any other outlet mall in this country. Nothing special about it. They have 2nd rate clothes and left overs from the main stores. True, some of the clothes they claim are name brand at outlet stores, are really inferior to what the companies actually sell in their real stores.

Rover
11-15-2010, 03:59 PM
I just don't see why everyone is so giddy about this. It's just like any other outlet mall in this country. Nothing special about it. They have 2nd rate clothes and left overs from the main stores. True, some of the clothes they claim are name brand at outlet stores, are really inferior to what the companies actually sell in their real stores.

That's an over simplification. Some stores, like Saks Off 5th have overruns of private lables, last season or end of season styles, and some slight irregulars, as well as some items made for distribution for factory outlet stores. Many others do the same. Some have same cuts as higher priced stores, but use alternate materials (80/20 cotton instead of 100% cotton, etc., etc.) Nike doesn't produce aternatives, but generally have a much better selection than most other sporting stores with multiple brands. BOSE has exactly the same merchandise. Stores like Marshalls have the same as their other stores. Some high-high designer stores are the SAME merchandise as their stores, but one year removed. The Coach store doesn't carry the $10,000 models, but have a good selection of authorized models. There will be watch stores with all the same brands and models, but are paying lower overhead than in major fashion malls and can sell for a little less. Etc., etc. All in all, it is a shopping oleo. Some goood and some okay. Like any purchasing, you have to know the difference.

okclee
11-15-2010, 04:17 PM

I think someone could be giddy for Okc landing this and not Norman, Moore, Tulsa etc., purely from a sales tax income producing retail destination. Also one could be giddy knowing that this is the largest single retail investment project ongoing in the U.S.

Whether you or I like these stores or not, it is proven that shoppers flock to outlet stores and many are travelers that make it a shopping vacation.

onthestrip
11-15-2010, 05:49 PM
I think someone could be giddy for Okc landing this and not Norman, Moore, Tulsa etc., purely from a sales tax income producing retail destination. Also one could be giddy knowing that this is the largest single retail investment project ongoing in the U.S.

Whether you or I like these stores or not, it is proven that shoppers flock to outlet stores and many are travelers that make it a shopping vacation.

Exactly. Ive been told that over 1/3 of sales come from outside the entire metro area. Also, when has there been a $50mil retail project developed in OKC? Its been a long time since a project of this size has been built. Sure its a outlet mall and not something upscale but this is still a huge deal for this city.

bluedogok
11-15-2010, 09:34 PM
I can go to the outlet malls in San Marcos any weekend and a good 1/4 of the license plates in the parking lot are from Mexico. One of my wife's co-worker has in-laws who come up here every quarter and spend thousands shopping because although many of the same products are in stores down there they are usually 4 times higher and double what they would be in the stores at The Domain or at Neiman Marcus. I see many plates from Mexico in the parking garage at The Domain as well and usually on the high end vehicles as they do have the money to be able to come to Austin or San Antonio and go shopping.

The outlet mall out there should be a big draw for the area.

Patrick
11-16-2010, 04:52 PM
That's an over simplification. Some stores, like Saks Off 5th have overruns of private lables, last season or end of season styles, and some slight irregulars, as well as some items made for distribution for factory outlet stores.

About what I said.

Some have same cuts as higher priced stores, but use alternate materials (80/20 cotton instead of 100% cotton, etc., etc.)

What I said.

Nike doesn't produce aternatives, but generally have a much better selection than most other sporting stores with multiple brands.

Nike is also very expensive, and isn't a better deal than your local Foot Locker or Finish Line. In fact, they're probably more expensive.

Some high-high designer stores are the SAME merchandise as their stores, but one year removed.
In other words, their clearance merchandise.

The Coach store doesn't carry the $10,000 models, but have a good selection of authorized models.

Exactly....inferior products than what you'd find in a regular Coach store.

See, my problem with outlet malls is they trick you into thinking you're getting good deals on the same stuff you'd buy full price for in their main stores. Simply not true. It's either clearance merchandise, inferior quality, blemished merchandise, or a lot of the stores in outlet malls aren't even outlet stores for that matter.

Patrick
11-16-2010, 04:53 PM

I can agree with that. Glad OKC is getting the tax base out of it, when they could've located to a suburb like a lot of outlet centers do.

Rover
11-16-2010, 07:14 PM
About what I said.

What I said.

Nike is also very expensive, and isn't a better deal than your local Foot Locker or Finish Line. In fact, they're probably more expensive.

In other words, their clearance merchandise.

Exactly....inferior products than what you'd find in a regular Coach store.

See, my problem with outlet malls is they trick you into thinking you're getting good deals on the same stuff you'd buy full price for in their main stores. Simply not true. It's either clearance merchandise, inferior quality, blemished merchandise, or a lot of the stores in outlet malls aren't even outlet stores for that matter.

They don't "trick" anybody. Maybe you've been fooled but not most people...they know exactly what they are getting. They are getting looks for a price they normally can't afford. Just because you want to put down outlet malls, fine...don't go. But for many it is great. It is just another shopping alternative. I shop 5th Avenue and I shop outlet malls...just depends what I am looking for.

circuitboard
12-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Noticed today they are removing the windows out of the old brick and glass factory across from the outlet construction site. Maybe demo/redevelopment coming?

metro
12-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Noticed today they are removing the windows out of the old brick and glass factory across from the outlet construction site. Maybe demo/redevelopment coming?

There is also a data recovery center/server farm in there so it's possible they could be filling them in as well.

Double Edge
12-14-2010, 05:18 PM
I looks like they are taking out old small windows and fillers and replacing with a more modern reflective glass. You could see the old empty offices where they took the windows out ahead of the new glass until they covered them up with plastic sheeting with this cold front.

The Shoppes are coming along, I noticed they have curbs and at least one layer of asphalt paving down on the south side. My suspicions were confirmed today that an entry to the parking lot would come off Council Road, the old Wendy's between the Shell and the Braums has been razed and the lot graded into the paving area.

I'm still hoping they are going to do the Tee-Pee tent coverings but there's not steel poles up higher than the roof line yet. Maybe that will come later and get installed with other components, posts cables and sheeting together. I'm afraid it's going to be a fairly bland looking strip center if they deleted that feature.

Jesseda
12-15-2010, 12:12 PM
I hope they do the tarp/ t.p type covering, the one in vegas that has it is really nice, and it would be nice to shop outside and be out of the oklahoma sun(which is a killer) in the summer. Im am glad we will have our own outlet mall, next we need some good entertainment around it.

ljbab728
12-15-2010, 11:14 PM
I hope they do the tarp/ t.p type covering, the one in vegas that has it is really nice, and it would be nice to shop outside and be out of the oklahoma sun(which is a killer) in the summer. Im am glad we will have our own outlet mall, next we need some good entertainment around it.

There used to be a strip club across the street west of Council. Will that meet your entertainment needs? LOL

Jesseda
12-16-2010, 05:51 AM
I can just see the new entertainment district now,, "After a day of bargain hunting, kick back and relax at our clean and exciting strip club

sgt. pepper
12-16-2010, 05:59 AM
The Double D Saloon is just down the street.

Dustin
12-17-2010, 01:43 AM
I wish Diesel was coming to the shopping center.. That would make life awesome.

betts
12-27-2010, 05:21 PM
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/saks-fifth-avenue-off-5th-to-open-new-stores-in-charleston-sc-and-oklahoma-city-ok-in-2011-112498354.html

Here's an Off Fifth press release.

I think outlet malls should be approached with a buyer beware attitude. I don't mind buying last year's clothes if they're a classic design and the price is significantly below the original price. I don't mind buying seconds, as long as I know they are and can look them over for flaws, and I don't mind buying some things that are manufactured just for the outlet store. What I do avoid is things marked 25% off that I can buy for 33 or 40% off in the regular store. Since we don't have a Saks, even that is a moot point.

Rover
12-27-2010, 06:38 PM
People still have to be intelligent shoppers. If you don't like the merchandise or prices, simply go elsewhere. If you think you are getting something for nothing, then that isn't very intelligent. Outlet shops fill a specific market requirement.

Larry OKC
12-28-2010, 02:14 AM
People still have to be intelligent shoppers. If you don't like the merchandise or prices, simply go elsewhere. If you think you are getting something for nothing, then that isn't very intelligent. Outlet shops fill a specific market requirement.

I agree (let the buyer beware) but the same people that believe some of the outlet hype/advertising are the same people that literally filled the K-Mart parking lots (making it look like Christmas) when they were having their store closing sales in OKC a few years back. This was for up to 10% off!

Many not realizing that K-mart wasn't even running the store anymore, that the employees and merchandise and been purchased by a liquidator and they had raised the prices on most items (unless if it was a pre-priced packaged item) by more than the amount would be after the 10% off. Had the same experience with one of the office supply stores when they closed their south side location (north side remained open). The exact same item was cheaper at the regular store than the store closing/percent off price. Ran into the same situation a time or two with Venture and their clearance items (original price sticker would be underneath the sale price and in some cases the sale price was higher than the original).

As with much of marketing, perception is reality (for those not knowing otherwise).

warreng88
12-30-2010, 07:41 AM
From Newsok.com:

Oklahoma City's outlet mall should be ready for summer opening

Construction of the Shoppes at Oklahoma City factory outlet mall at Interstate 40 and Council Road remains on track for an August 2011 opening.

BY STEVE LACKMEYER
slackmeyer@opubco.com
Published: December 30, 2010

Construction of the Shoppes at Oklahoma City factory outlet mall at Interstate 40 and Council Road remains on track for an August 2011 opening.

Oklahoma City's outlet mall should be ready for summer opening Brent Bryant, city economic development program manager, gave a presentation about the project at a recent meeting of the Oklahoma City Economic Development Trust and reminded the group the mall represents one of few major retail malls under construction in the country.

Read the rest of Steve's article at:
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-citys-outlet-mall-should-be-ready-for-summer-opening/article/3527767#ixzz19bdl6swb

Larry OKC
12-30-2010, 08:38 PM
List of stores from the same article

Aeropostale,
Smashburger,
Auntie Anne's,
Banana Republic,
Bass,
Bon Worth,
Brooks Brothers,
Carter's,
Chico's,
Children's Place,
Coach,
Converse,
Corning Revere,
Dress Barn,
Easy Spirit,
Gap,
Guess,
Gymboree,
Hanesbrands,
Izod,
Johnston and Murphy,
Jones NY,
Journeys,
Kasper,
Kay Jewelry,
Kitchen Collection,
Lane Bryant,
Le Gourmet Chef,
Levi's,
Lids,
Maurices,
Naturalizer,
Nike,
Nine West,
OshKosh B'Gosh,
Reebok/Rockport,
rue21,
Saks Fifth Avenue Off Fifth,
Skechers,
Stride Rite,
Sunglass Hut,
Tommy Hilfiger,
Ultra Jewelry,
Under Armour,
Uniform Outlet,
U.S. Polo Assn.,
Van Heusen and
Wilsons Leather.

realtorchris
12-30-2010, 09:35 PM
The Coach store will be a great addition to the OKC shopping area. I have visited three stores- Frisco outlet, and 2 at outlets in WI. They all were extremely busy, and had great prices. It will allow the average shopper that might spend $125 on a purse at Dillards to spend the same and get a nicer, higher quality "Coach" purse. I bought a wallet that was $70, and it is a great thing. Shoppers will love it, haters will hate it...the same as with everything else, those that will utilize enjoy, those that don't complain. Simple. Stay home...no body makes you leave your house!

soonerguru
12-30-2010, 10:49 PM
List of stores from the same article

Aeropostale,
Smashburger,
Auntie Anne's,
Banana Republic,
Bass,
Bon Worth,
Brooks Brothers,
Carter's,
Chico's,
Children's Place,
Coach,
Converse,
Corning Revere,
Dress Barn,
Easy Spirit,
Gap,
Guess,
Gymboree,
Hanesbrands,
Izod,
Johnston and Murphy,
Jones NY,
Journeys,
Kasper,
Kay Jewelry,
Kitchen Collection,
Lane Bryant,
Le Gourmet Chef,
Levi's,
Lids,
Maurices,
Naturalizer,
Nike,
Nine West,
OshKosh B'Gosh,
Reebok/Rockport,
rue21,
Saks Fifth Avenue Off Fifth,
Skechers,
Stride Rite,
Sunglass Hut,
Tommy Hilfiger,
Ultra Jewelry,
Under Armour,
Uniform Outlet,
U.S. Polo Assn.,
Van Heusen and
Wilsons Leather.

I'm excited about Saks, Jones New York, and Brooks Brothers. Has anyone visited Le Gourmet Chef or Kitchen Collection? Are they good stores?

bluedogok
12-31-2010, 09:07 AM
Kitchen Collection stores are in outlet malls everywhere, they used to have one in the Stroud outlet mall. It is a good store for general kitchen items.

Patrick
12-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Interesting that there's going to be a Saks outlet, and we don't even have a regular Saks department store here. Would really like to see them build a regular Saks department store on the west parking lot at Penn Square Mall.

metro
12-31-2010, 08:15 PM
Patrick, we don't have most of the stores going into the outlet, Saks isn't the exception.

Patrick
12-31-2010, 11:35 PM
True, I guess that's the case with most outlet malls though. Branson has it's fair share of outlet stores without having the original stores in the area.

And, BTW, I've changed my mind on this project. Yes, outlet malls often don't have the same clothes as the actual stores, but it does serve a certain niche of people and these projects do seem to be frequented by tourists. With the loss of Tanger in Stroud over 10 years ago, it's nice to see us getting our own outlet center. And for once, we get something before Tulsa does!

bluedogok
01-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Some stores do, I can find many of the same clothes in the Polo, Cole-Haan or Casual Male XL Outlet stores in Round Rock or San Marcos that I can find in Dillard's. A Polo Andrew chino pant is the same in either store. Yes, sometimes they were last years style but for most men's clothing the styles don't change that much year to year. Maybe the "trendy" style stores change styles yearly but for classic clothing that isn't the case.

There was a Neiman Marcus Last Call outlet here in Austin years before the full line store opened in The Domain three years ago.

metro
01-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Blue dog, where can you find Guess in OKC? Brooks brothers? can't find a full selection of Nike at Academy. I could go on and on with the retailer list. Patrick, its not just fitting a niche for travelers, but for locals neding much more options and selection.

Doug Loudenback
01-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I've been a fan of Johnston & Murphy shoes for decades. Glad to see that name in the list. And my favorite brief case of all time is a Coach. Very glad that it is in the list, too.

bluedogok
01-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Blue dog, where can you find Guess in OKC? Brooks brothers? can't find a full selection of Nike at Academy. I could go on and on with the retailer list. Patrick, its not just fitting a niche for travelers, but for locals neding much more options and selection.
I wouldn't know where to find Guess, I do know they have a G by Guess! store in Midland Park Mall since we are doing the renovation, never really considered buying anything Guess since the mid-80's. I really haven't seen that much difference between what is in stock at outlet stores and conventional mall stores except for some out of season stuff they might have. I know that we found a vest that at the Eddie Bauer outlet store in San Marcos that was the exact same model we saw at the store at Barton Creek Mall (which didn't have the size/color she wanted), the one in the outlet mall was $5.00 cheaper since it was "on sale" at the time. As far as selection, there isn't even a "full selection" of Nike in any store because they sell so many different products. Even in the Nike flagship store on Michigan Avenue in Chicago there were not items that I could find in an Academy (or similar store) on this part of the country.

We drove by it when we were up for Christmas, it is coming along nicely and will be a nice addition. We frequent the ones in San Marcos and Round Rock every so often and find them to be very worthwhile as in many cases they do have items that I want when the traditional seasonal style change occurs, like moving coats in and summer wear out when it is still 100+ outside. Our season don't exactly line up with the merchandisers seasons but they have never seemed to make that connection.

Dustin
01-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Any updates on construction? Are walls up?

SkyWestOKC
01-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Drove by the other day, walls are up. Some of the exterior looks to be applied (textured). Didn't have my camera.

Dustin
01-16-2011, 12:44 AM
Drove by the other day, walls are up. Some of the exterior looks to be applied (textured). Didn't have my camera.

Cool! Thank you!

Dustin
01-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Ok, I've searched everywhere. Does this place have a website?

ljbab728
01-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Ok, I've searched everywhere. Does this place have a website?

http://www.horizongroup.com/map/default.aspx

http://www.horizongroup.com/Post/sections/3/Files/oklahoma.pdf

metro
01-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Yeah, sme of the exterior walls are even painted.

SkyWestOKC
01-16-2011, 11:14 AM
It looks really cool so far, I think.

okclee
01-16-2011, 11:35 AM
This project really seems to be progressing at a fast pace. It is good to see this type of progress being made in Okc. The developer must not know that in Okc we move slower, lol.

Larry OKC
01-16-2011, 04:09 PM
There was a bit of delay from when it was announced and they started doing much (so much so, that the City decided against making the agreed infrastructure improvements until things were firmed up)...but once they got moving again, you are right, it does seem to be going fast....

mike1k
01-18-2011, 01:10 PM
I drove west on I-40 last night for the first time in a long time. I was amazed at how much work has been completed on the mall. I wished I had filmed it last night, but knew I was going down the same stretch of road today, so today I was ready with my phone to capture the construction. This is my first video to upload, hope it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wes1aTm9vM

Double Edge
01-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah, sme of the exterior walls are even painted.

Ugh. It appears the tent awnings must have gone away, there seems to not be any structure for them at least, and the color scheme that's beginning to emerge is garish. Color me disappointed in the appearances thus far.

Just about like this picture if not exactly.

http://www.horizongroup.com/Post/sections/30/Images/oklaweb.jpg

circuitboard
01-18-2011, 03:24 PM
I can live without the tents. Especially considering with the loud colors, I think it would remind me of a carnival. New retail in OKC is rare, so I will take what I can get.

Double Edge
01-18-2011, 03:49 PM
I agree about the tents with the loud colors. Clown vomit is what came to mind when I drove by there today without the tents. I'm glad for the retail, the eyesore not so much.

Double Edge
01-18-2011, 04:02 PM
I guess the original concept was "festive." I had only seen the smaller rendering before not this one. Maybe it's still going to get the tents AFAIK, and the poles will get installed later when the awnings go up but I bet they went the way of budget cuts. That's probably a good thing considering.

http://kwtv.images.worldnow.com/images/13798369_BG1.jpg

http://cdn.globest.com/media/newspics/okc_outletshoppes.jpg

Jettmiester
01-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Those tents are cool, reminds me of the 1982 World's Fair which used Yellow and White ones that were similar. Maybe the Oklahoma Hail will just bounce off. lol

Jettmiester
01-18-2011, 04:21 PM
http://www.earthstation9.com/Pictures/View_Sunsphere_US.jpg

1982 World's Fair.

Double Edge
01-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Something like that would have been nice, still eyecatching and different than the norm.

metro
01-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Sadly, mot much different than the Bricktown Harkins.

Spartan
01-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Well they've got a Lane Bryant outlet at least. So no matter what, you can't accuse them of not doing their homework on OKC demographics..

Rover
01-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Well they've got a Lane Bryant outlet at least. So no matter what, you can't accuse them of not doing their homework on OKC demographics..

Nice shot at OKC women, I guess. :-( BTW. Corpus Christi, TX, El Paso, TX, Dallas, TX, Kansas City, KS, San Antonio, TX, Houston, TX, Lubbock, TX, these are all cities just in the area that OKC is listed as more fit than.

Spartan
01-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Nice shot at OKC women, I guess. :-( BTW. Corpus Christi, TX, El Paso, TX, Dallas, TX, Kansas City, KS, San Antonio, TX, Houston, TX, Lubbock, TX, these are all cities just in the area that OKC is listed as more fit than.

On what list? And I'm just saying, it will be good for this guy's wife to finally have somewhere to shop..

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwr1Y4ELPrAQi7k8JJdU3ZYqmpFdGd8 sDbtseGtOBIsUU3HKlzJQhttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSh-3FWbVdI8aRsUB0vKJ5bMBNm35QE_CmcirB3lIdLYqcUm9xM

Maybe it will be a special Lane Bryant that sells both OU and UT XXL stuff.

jbrown84
01-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Any pics of the progress?

SkyWestOKC
01-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Ill swing by tomorrow on my way home to get pics.

ljbab728
01-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Ugh. It appears the tent awnings must have gone away, there seems to not be any structure for them at least, and the color scheme that's beginning to emerge is garish. Color me disappointed in the appearances thus far.

Just about like this picture if not exactly.

http://www.horizongroup.com/Post/sections/30/Images/oklaweb.jpg

You could be right about the tents but that would obviously be the last part of the construction that would be needed so it might still be added.