View Full Version : Oklahoma Factory Shoppes - I40 & Council

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Jesseda
06-17-2010, 11:45 AM
casual male xl said they are going to open up a outlet in the new outlet center, this source is from the employees of casual male xl on the south side of okc

metro
06-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I would like to see a Ralph Lauren. The best one hands down is in Branson. That's a long drive and I don't get there often. There is/was one in Allen,Tx, but not as good as the Branson location.

Nah, the one on Myrtle Beach is pretty nice. If memory serves right, I think the one outside of Atlanta is very nice too.

SOONER8693
06-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Nah, the one on Myrtle Beach is pretty nice. If memory serves right, I think the one outside of Atlanta is very nice too.
I should have been more specific. I meant in this area. I came across a very nice one just south of Cleveland 2 summers ago.

soonerfan_in_okc
06-19-2010, 12:43 AM
wooohoooO!

Site work begins on outlet mall in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/site-work-begins-on-outlet-mall-in-oklahoma-city/article/3469728?custom_click=headlines_widget)

soonerfan_in_okc
06-19-2010, 12:44 AM
here is a list of tenants to be in the mall according to the DOK

Outlet Shoppes at Oklahoma City
The size of The Outlet Shoppes at Oklahoma City is decreasing, from 340,000 square feet to 320,000 square feet. A report on the project to be heard by the Economic Development Trust on Tuesday indicates the mall is 80 percent leased, with tenants including the following retailers:

• Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th

• Brooks Brothers

• Tommy Hilfiger

• Jones New York

• Nine West

• Nike

• Carter's

• Banana Republic

• Gap

• Coach

Read more: Site work begins on outlet mall in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/site-work-begins-on-outlet-mall-in-oklahoma-city/article/3469728?custom_click=headlines_widget#ixzz0rHLs3Q9 K)

redrunner
06-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Very nice. I like.

PennyQuilts
06-19-2010, 07:37 AM
I wonder if we'll see some restaurants pop up nearby for shoppers.

Dustin
06-19-2010, 08:12 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/985455/gallery_photo.jpg

HOPEFULLY the design has changed...

warreng88
06-19-2010, 08:19 AM

Looking at the layout, it looks like there will be pad sites available on the east and west sides of the property. Not sure if someone would be able to build in front of the old Lucent plant, but that would be right across the street.

bluedogok
06-19-2010, 09:22 AM
That seems to be the standard of these places now, the Round Rock Outlets opened up north of Ikea and has infilled quite a bit around both with many restaurants and other, smaller retail.

soonerguru
06-19-2010, 09:56 AM
This is great!

redrunner
06-19-2010, 10:15 AM

You posted the wrong pic. That's Denver Intl Airport. Oh wait, nvm.

Spartan
06-19-2010, 11:13 AM
So..Brooks Brothers? I thought they were adamantly opposed to OKC. I hate the goddam design of this industrial park, erm I mean retail center, but I can jump for joy with a Brooks Brothers. Now if I can just get a Ralph Lauren.

soonerguru
06-19-2010, 12:21 PM
It is FUGLY. Yikes.

bluedogok
06-19-2010, 12:34 PM
That is typical outlet design at this time. The new Round Rock Outlets is all concrete tilt-wall construction in the traditional back to the parking lot design.

flintysooner
06-19-2010, 12:38 PM
What is the material for the tent like structures?

bluedogok
06-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Most of the time it is a tensile fabric structure similar to the Birdair (http://www.birdair.com/) product that makes up the roof of the Denver Airport. I had an amphitheater that we were going to use a similar product on here, it was out of Italy (Ferrari Fabrics).

onthestrip
06-19-2010, 01:19 PM
So..Brooks Brothers? I thought they were adamantly opposed to OKC. I hate the goddam design of this industrial park, erm I mean retail center, but I can jump for joy with a Brooks Brothers. Now if I can just get a Ralph Lauren.

This a Brooks Brothers outlet store, not a normal store, which we wont be getting anytime soon.

EBAH
06-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Sigh... still no sign of Esprit or Club Monaco. : (

Oh Man, what I wouldn't give for an Esprit...

SkyWestOKC
06-19-2010, 06:03 PM
And, once again, more negativity on positive news. This is really getting old. I like it.

rcjunkie
06-19-2010, 06:23 PM
And, once again, more negativity on positive news. This is really getting old. I like it.

I honestly believe that some are so miserable with their personal life's, they feel a need to find something negative in everything.

soonerguru
06-19-2010, 06:38 PM
I honestly believe that some are so miserable with their personal life's, they feel a need to find something negative in everything.

Said by the person who constantly posts negative comments on threads.

Spartan
06-19-2010, 06:43 PM

It's not "once again." It is "as needed." You know this is Oklahoma City, right--there are some seriously ample opportunities for urban design critiques. Sorry, but this is a fugly development. It's gonna get some critiquing.

Anti-urbanists on this site complain about the negativity. Okay, fine. Is there anyone on this site who can call themselves knowledgeable in urban design in any way who is in support of every project we oppose? Are there any Joel Cotkins among our population on here? I didn't think so, just a bunch of ignorant people (not you Skywest) who don't like what people knowledgeable have to say. The only person I am aware of that is knowledgeable of urbanism but not completely for it in all of OKC is Dennis Wells, who I've had countless arguments with on Steve's blog.

Opposing my viewpoint doesn't make you guys ignorant, case in point, Dennis Wells. Knowing nothing about urbanism and constantly assaulting and antagonizing urbanists on this board actually makes you guys ignorant.

rcjunkie
06-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Said by the person who constantly posts negative comments on threads.

Once again---wrong. The only thing I'm negative about is negative people.

HOT ROD
06-19-2010, 08:03 PM
fugly rendering, Fugly indeed.

betts
06-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Guys, this is an outlet mall adjacent to the highway. There's always a bit of tacky, or a lot of tacky, in an outlet mall. I see expectations being a bit too high here. If this were a new downtown retail development I think criticism would be warranted, but let's call a spade a spade.

Spartan
06-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Do they all have the weird tarp awnings, though? Is it a carnival or a retail center?

adaniel
06-19-2010, 08:47 PM
That is typical outlet design at this time. The new Round Rock Outlets is all concrete tilt-wall construction in the traditional back to the parking lot design.

I've seen this big tent-style design when I went to the Las Vegas Premium Outlets. It probably works a little better there because its more of an outdoor concept, but then again its pretty hard to do an outdoor concept in this climate.

Here's the website if anyone's interested Las Vegas Premium Outlets (http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=58)

Not to change the subject but I can't believe they built an outlet mall in Round Rock. I could be misinterpreting this, but that's pretty ballsy on their part considering the outlet mall in San Marcos is more or less the gold standard cash cow in that industry. Maybe the economy isn't so bad after all.

Steve
06-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Spartan, I'm not so sure this is the worst thing in the world. I've been checking out the photos of the Horizon mall in El Passo, and while it's not my cup of tea, it's better than the typical big box strips we see along Memorial Road and Northwest Expressway.

HOT ROD
06-19-2010, 09:36 PM
I think the yellow colouring and the tarps is what makes this rendering fugly.

I realize it is far suburbia and not downtown, so Im not expecting an urban development by any means. But also, it doesn't look like anything OKC or anything that would last. ...

So, I suppose you could say I have a suburbanist hat on - and even with that, it is still quite fugly. ... But whatever, good to have the new retail, I just wish/hope these are not the final renderings.

bluedogok
06-19-2010, 09:39 PM
I've seen this big tent-style design when I went to the Las Vegas Premium Outlets. It probably works a little better there because its more of an outdoor concept, but then again its pretty hard to do an outdoor concept in this climate.

Here's the website if anyone's interested Las Vegas Premium Outlets (http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=58)
Ones like San Marcos are the older style with everything outside and the parking in. Round Rock is a newer style, more of a traditional mall with a pedestrian circulation spine some with covering the traffic spine and some without. The only enclosed ones that I have seen are the "Mills" concepts which are usually a mix of outlet and regular stores and typically in older malls that fell out of favor and were reformatted somewhat.

Not to change the subject but I can't believe they built an outlet mall in Round Rock. I could be misinterpreting this, but that's pretty ballsy on their part considering the outlet mall in San Marcos is more or less the gold standard cash cow in that industry. Maybe the economy isn't so bad after all.
It was built about 4 years ago and is next to Ikea creating its own center. It is much smaller than either of the San Marcos outlet malls. It is actually located in far north Round Rock pretty much near the Georgetown line. It was built with incentives from the City of Round Rock and Williamson County.

I think the yellow colouring and the tarps is what makes this rendering fugly.
They aren't "tarps", they are highly engineered tensile structures....I know, I had to handle the invoicing for the engineer out of New Jersey/Florida on a project. We were dealing with tension loads of up to 30,000 psi on the cable connections. The ones in Denver still look pretty good 15 or so years later. We will see them again tomorrow.

I will say that is pretty poor rendering.

Spartan
06-19-2010, 09:41 PM
The Shoppes at El Paso actually look great. No silly carnival tarp.

http://thegarickgroup.com/system/project_photo/image/7/big/8_0647br.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/vickifunes/Texas%20Outlets/OutletsElPasoFoodCourt-1.jpg
http://www.have-fun-in-the-southwest.com/images/ElPasoOutletPuma.gif
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_MOccq59J5G4/R4ME2r6qkFI/AAAAAAAAEPg/Lj38cH3bYS8/SanuNew2008Year+012.JPG

Steve
06-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Nick, after these recent hail storms, I wouldn't be surprised if the Denver Airport canopies disappeared from the final designs. I'll ask about it this week. And yeah, El Passo isn't that horrible. And if you look at the other drawings for OKC, it's the same theme in many ways. And from what I can tell, these malls attract hotels and other ancillary development. For a city dependent on sales tax revenue, this is expected to go a long way in repairing the damage done by the collapse of Crossroads and the emergence of Moore and Midwest City retail.

Spartan
06-19-2010, 10:04 PM
That is very true. We are desperate for retail, or any sales tax revenues. I wouldn't even campaign against approving a strip mall at this point.

lasomeday
06-19-2010, 10:14 PM
I could care less what it looks like. I am just happy to have Brooks Brother down the street from my trailor! I hope Maria comes to our outlet mall too! She looks like a keeper!

onthestrip
06-19-2010, 10:34 PM
The mall may not have ideal finishes but I imagine that when it is done it will look quite impressive as this will be OKCs first taste of an outdoor shopping mall. And I am fine with the tarps, if we are going to have an outdoor mall, shade is key.

The other big deal about the outlet mall is that a big amount of its sales come from outside the city. This will bring in new money to OKC. I also agree with Steve, Im sure this will create some spinoff development.

soonerfan_in_okc
06-19-2010, 10:47 PM
why aren't outlet malls more common? they seem to be just as good if not better than regular malls, yet are not nearly as common.

Spartan
06-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Wal-Marts create spinoff development.

jarrington00
06-19-2010, 11:22 PM
I hope this will clean up some of the eyesores in the surrounding area.

soonerguru
06-19-2010, 11:58 PM
The Shoppes at El Paso actually look great. No silly carnival tarp.

http://thegarickgroup.com/system/project_photo/image/7/big/8_0647br.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/vickifunes/Texas%20Outlets/OutletsElPasoFoodCourt-1.jpg
http://www.have-fun-in-the-southwest.com/images/ElPasoOutletPuma.gif
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_MOccq59J5G4/R4ME2r6qkFI/AAAAAAAAEPg/Lj38cH3bYS8/SanuNew2008Year+012.JPG

Who's the senorita?

Jon27
06-20-2010, 12:07 AM
I hope this will clean up some of the eyesores in the surrounding area.

I agree, teardown all the crap between Council and Rockwell. Combine the 3rd street shopping to this outlet mall. Could add more dining, hotels, and shopping.

Larry OKC
06-20-2010, 02:08 AM
Not opposed to the tent structures and don't recall it looking quite like this in the renderings from a few years ago (had the tents but don't recall the color combos). The ones I remember seemed like they would have fit well into the Core to Shore presentation (and thought the concept would be great in that area, maybe on the other side of the river to give it a good anchor). A reason for people to keep going from the CBD all the way to the River and well beyond.

Had to laugh but Sat paper had an article and the quote was made about the location being ideal... Site work begins on outlet mall in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/site-work-begins-on-outlet-mall-in-oklahoma-city/article/3469728)

"It's a great location,” Oshel said. "Its proximity to Bricktown and the Adventure District...

Say what? No where near either of those, The Outlet Mall is at 1-40 & Council. Bricktown is several miles away (but also on I-40) and the Adventure District is even farther turn North @ Bricktown another few miles (I--35/I-44 Remington Park/Frontier City area).

That statement would have made since if it was located near either of those or even put somewhere in between them.

That aside the pics Spartan posted of El Paso are ... WOW.

I definitely like.

Larry OKC
06-20-2010, 05:38 AM

I think this was more along the lines of the one I remember seeing (from earlier in the thread)

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/512698/lead620/

More colors than the top pic and not quite as WOW as the pics Spartan posted, I can see some similarities. The bottom pic doesn't suggest the tarps though...thought it was just a very pale sky.

Steve
06-20-2010, 06:14 PM
The bottom rendering actually has a lot of similarity to the El Paso photo - the tiling effect on the lower half of the building facades, the colored out-crops and indentures on the tilt-up buildings, the column, the sign pop-ups ... all that's really missing are the lighting fixtures.

Larry OKC
06-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Steve, I didn't even notice the lack of lighting in the renderings. And really didn't notice them in the photos until I went back and looked at them again. Guess one can presume some type of fixtures will be used...LOL

You are also correct about the tiling etc. If we end up with the pics, I will be impressed (awnings or no awnings)

Larry OKC
06-20-2010, 10:03 PM
The mall may not have ideal finishes but I imagine that when it is done it will look quite impressive as this will be OKCs first taste of an outdoor shopping mall. And I am fine with the tarps, if we are going to have an outdoor mall, shade is key.

The other big deal about the outlet mall is that a big amount of its sales come from outside the city. This will bring in new money to OKC. I also agree with Steve, Im sure this will create some spinoff development.

Ignoring all of the strip malls and Classen Curve...I have read that Penn Square was originally built as an open air mall and was enclosed along time ago.

ljbab728
06-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Ignoring all of the strip malls and Classen Curve...I have read that Penn Square was originally built as an open air mall and was enclosed along time ago.

It certainly was. When I first started shopping there, it was open air and didn't have any upper levels except in the large department stores.

Larry OKC
06-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Would love to see some pics of that (before the enclosure) if anyone has, please post a link.

PennyQuilts
06-21-2010, 06:11 AM
Would love to see some pics of that (before the enclosure) if anyone has, please post a link.

Wish I had some. I spent many a Saturday as a a kid roaming the mall. It weirded me out when they enclosed it. Now I am used to it.

twade
06-22-2010, 09:12 AM
There is an article in this morning's Journal Record about the outlet mall. Basically the same information as posted over the weekend.

Highlights:

2011 completion date
City to pay for new road to the mall
Estimate $4M in sales tax revenue
320,000-340,000 sq. ft. (still waiting on a tenent for the larger number)
80% leased (Brooks Bros., Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th, Coach, Tommy Hilfiger, and Jones New York mentioned)
If new agreement approved tonight, goes to city council on June 29. (new agreement principally over city paying 1M for the road to the outlet malls- helps mall secure permanent financing)

Nice article by April Wilkerson. Check it out.

SoonerDave
06-22-2010, 12:31 PM

Heavens, remember it well! There was an informal "center court" area in the middle where some small presentations and things could be held. If you were there in the summer, it got warm rapidly among the concrete sidewalks.

Back then, there was only a single level, and very few "interior" stores. Some, but not many. A few months back, some work was being done to the exterior of one of the buildings, and the facade had been torn back to expose some of the original painted brick which was still in place!

I lose sight of the fact that its conversion to an enclosed, dual-level mall was so long ago that many never KNEW it wasn't always that way!

-soonerdave

okcboy
06-22-2010, 01:11 PM
The clock that was on the old Penn Square mall sign is now on the Water Tower in Bricktown. I wish the new owners would get it working and lit up with neon again.

Steve
06-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Question for whoever may be in the know:

- On the PDF the date at the bottom is October 25, 2006. Is it safe to assume much has changed since the original plan?

Sorry for the delay answering this. Short answer: yes. This map was done in an entirely different economic era. I guarantee the mix will be different.

redrunner
06-23-2010, 12:44 AM
http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/griffin/NEWS9/PDF/1006/OklahomaCityOutletShoppes.pdf

Have you all seen the store list as of May 10? This is from news9.com

twade
06-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Not too many good shops for guys. I keep hoping a Ralph Lauren or Columbia will show up- Brooks Bros. is nice. Banana Republic is ok too. Maybe Under Armour. Ok, so maybe 3 stores. Those the only shops I see worth making the drive for. Who even wears Tommy Hilfiger anymore? I thought that brand died. IZOD too for that matter.

I hope they can get some better outlets to sign on the dotted line. Still a good thing for OKC.

My apologies to the one person whose entire wardrobe is make up entirely of Hilfiger and IZOD....

SOONER8693
06-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Not too many good shops for guys. I keep hoping a Ralph Lauren or Columbia will show up- Brooks Bros. is nice. Banana Republic is ok too. Maybe Under Armour. Ok, so maybe 3 stores. Those the only shops I see worth making the drive for. Who even wears Tommy Hilfiger anymore? I thought that brand died. IZOD too for that matter.

I hope they can get some better outlets to sign on the dotted line. Still a good thing for OKC.

My apologies to the one person whose entire wardrobe is make up entirely of Hilfiger and IZOD....
I agree. Without a Ralph Lauren, I probably won't bother to drive out to it, from far SW OKC.

cedbled
06-23-2010, 09:16 AM
http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/griffin/NEWS9/PDF/1006/OklahomaCityOutletShoppes.pdf

Have you all seen the store list as of May 10? This is from news9.com

Is this serious? Where'd they get this list? This is a far cry from the original list....This is less like the Premium outlets, and more like Gainsville, which actually seems better at this point....

BDP
06-23-2010, 10:01 AM
IZOD too for that matter.

Have you been to the Speakeasy lately?...

It's baaaaaaaaaack.

At least for guys. A lot of the yups these days are dressing like the bad guy in every 80s teen movie.

BDP
06-23-2010, 10:03 AM

Yeah, why do we always have to help finance the fugly stuff?

Jesseda
06-23-2010, 10:45 AM
um yeah nothing like gainsville lol, gainsville outlet is pretty much gone.. this outlet mall going in has a lot of stores to offer, i like the fact there is at least 4 children outlet stores going in..