View Full Version : Oklahoma Factory Shoppes - I40 & Council

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]

Dustin
09-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Not sure if there is one, but I would like to request a New Balance shoe outlet store. They are the only athletic shoes I can wear.

There is a famous footwear in the outlet mall and I'm pretty sure they carry New Balance.

ljbab728
09-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Obviously a mall there could have some affect on ours but, since it's the same owner, I doubt they are planning to do anything to cannibalize the business at a location they already operate.

sgt. pepper
09-17-2013, 12:13 PM
The article says "High End". Just curious but when the announcement for OKC was made, did it mention "high end"?

Tulsa is a big copy cat. They wait until OKC gets something...anything, and Tulsa tries to make theirs bigger and better. You just wait, BOK is going to announce a 100 floor tower or something. And Tulsa general succeeds, this new outlet mall will have stores only OKC will dream about.

bchris02
09-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Tulsa is a big copy cat. They wait until OKC gets something...anything, and Tulsa tries to make theirs bigger and better. You just wait, BOK is going to announce a 100 floor tower or something. And Tulsa general succeeds, this new outlet mall will have stores only OKC will dream about.

Agreed. I was just thinking about this and how Tulsa basically learned from OKC's design disaster in Lower Bricktown when developing their own urban districts. Now Tulsa's hip urban districts have become the envy and comparison point for OKC urbanists in our own revitalization of Midtown and Uptown. Meanwhile Tulsa residents continue to look down on "uncultured, cowtown" OKC as they always have.

Let me clarify I am not calling OKC an uncultured cowtown, but Tulsa residents generally say that.

CuatrodeMayo
09-17-2013, 02:09 PM
I was just thinking about this and how Tulsa basically learned from OKC's design disaster in Lower Bricktown when developing their own urban districts. Now Tulsa's hip urban districts have become the envy and comparison point for OKC urbanists in our own revitalization of Midtown and Uptown.

Say what?

bchris02
09-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Say what?

A lot of comparisons are made to Tulsa's urban districts when explaining what is wrong with Lower Bricktown and where our own urban districts i.e. Midtown, Uptown, Plaza, Western, etc are headed. Tulsa has a head start on what OKC is doing in areas surrounding the CBD. OKC had Bricktown though when Tulsa's core was still dead.

HangryHippo
09-17-2013, 03:24 PM
A lot of comparisons are made to Tulsa's urban districts when explaining what is wrong with Lower Bricktown and where our own urban districts i.e. Midtown, Uptown, Plaza, Western, etc are headed. Tulsa has a head start on what OKC is doing in areas surrounding the CBD. OKC had Bricktown though when Tulsa's core was still dead.

I'm not sure I agree with you on most of those areas. I don't fear where Midtown, Uptown, Plaza or Western are headed as I think they're actually improving all the time (maybe not Western any longer). But Lower Bricktown is the case that makes me point to Tulsa (or any of OKC's other areas) and say "Why not that?" Do you really go to the Plaza and wish for something from Tulsa?

bchris02
09-17-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure I agree with you on most of those areas. I don't fear where Midtown, Uptown, Plaza or Western are headed as I think they're actually improving all the time (maybe not Western any longer). But Lower Bricktown is the case that makes me point to Tulsa (or any of OKC's other areas) and say "Why not that?" Do you really go to the Plaza and wish for something from Tulsa?

I don't fear where those neighborhoods are headed either. They are in fact heading in the right direction, and that direction is that of Tulsa's Brady and Blue Dome districts. Just look at what is happening in Midtown. Look at Uptown. There are references to Cain's when discussing what the Tower Theater could be. OKC is trying to develop hip, vibrant districts geared towards young professionals like Tulsa did. That could have been Bricktown but it went a different direction. I honestly think we wouldn't be seeing so much development in places like Midtown, Uptown, etc had Lower Bricktown not have been such a design failure. They would still be developed no doubt, but they wouldn't become entertainment districts in their own right like Midtown is set to become with the arrival of Fassler Hall/Dust Bowl (Tulsa concepts). The Flashback Retropub is going to be modeled after a very cool Tulsa bar the Max, probably in my opinion the one bar in Tulsa cool enough to make the trip from OKC.

I don't want to discount Bricktown though. OKC's dance club and ultra lounge scene is stellar for a city this size in this part of the country, and probably blows away anything in Tulsa.

adaniel
09-17-2013, 07:39 PM
Bchris02, I hope you don't think I am attacking you here, but you make a lot of really inaccurate posts that reveal just what a short time you have lived here. I don't think you are doing so maliciously, but you seem to really push that we have some sort of complex against Tulsa, which couldn't be further from the truth. True, some here compare OKC to Tulsa, in the same way we compare ourselves to DFW, Austin, Denver, KC, etc. because they are regional neighbors.

Midtown is developing because St Anthony's and the city made a commitment to the area back in the mid 2000's, with uptown developing sort of by osmosis of activity in Midtown and the Paseo. It has very little to do with Lower Bricktown and any perceived design failures. You should research the couple behind A Good Egg Group or the ladies behind Big Truck Tacos who decided to take a HUGE risk and open up restaurants on 23rd when it was a dump. I doubt either of them cared what's going on in Tulsa or in Lower Bricktown. They saw an opportunity and have been rewarded handsomely.

As far as the outlet mall, I reread that article and I don't get the sense this is anywhere close to being a done deal. It sounds like they are just doing basic market analysis on whether this is feasible, and the city and the Tulsa World caught wind of it. Building 2 malls so close to each other by the same company could invoke some sort of non-compete clause in their leases as far as opening up competition within a certain mileage. In addition to the outlet in OKC, there are 2 very large outlet malls in Branson...something to consider when doing market studies.

warreng88
11-03-2013, 11:21 AM
I was just at the outlet mall and saw dirt turning just east of the Braums on the SE corner of Reno and Council. Any one know what is going in here?

kukblue1
11-03-2013, 08:03 PM
I was just at the outlet mall and saw dirt turning just east of the Braums on the SE corner of Reno and Council. Any one know what is going in here?

They are putting in a road to attach Bruam's to the outlet mall or at least the road network

Plutonic Panda
11-03-2013, 10:31 PM
They are putting in a road to attach Bruam's to the outlet mall or at least the road networkand we wonder why there are obesity issues here lol

lasomeday
11-04-2013, 08:57 AM
? The Braum's has been there for about 20 years. Not sure what you are implying?

The mall announced an expansion that was supposed to start and that is the only dirtwork currently, so that could be it. I don't know why it wouldn't be on the southeast side where the grass lawn is located similar to the west side expansion of the mall....

warreng88
11-04-2013, 09:55 AM
? The Braum's has been there for about 20 years. Not sure what you are implying?

The mall announced an expansion that was supposed to start and that is the only dirtwork currently, so that could be it. I don't know why it wouldn't be on the southeast side where the grass lawn is located similar to the west side expansion of the mall....

Yeah, I am pretty sure the expansion will happen on the SE corner of the mall, opposite of where the other expansion was put on. The area I am talking about is just east of the Braum's, facing Reno.

Plutonic Panda
11-04-2013, 11:37 AM

The mall announced an expansion that was supposed to start and that is the only dirtwork currently, so that could be it. I don't know why it wouldn't be on the southeast side where the grass lawn is located similar to the west side expansion of the mall....I'm implying that it is funny people can't less 500 ft. or so from a mall that is designed to walk around and how it doesn't connect with the Braums much.

Maybe this picture will better describe what I am talking about

http://library.thinkquest.org/trio/TTQ06042/Website%20flag%20image/fitness.jpg

SomeGuy
02-07-2014, 06:31 PM
They're supposed to be breaking ground and announcing stores for the phase 3 expansion this month finally. Also Fossil and fransesca are coming to outlet shoppes in april

yukong
02-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Also getting a Lids, and a Forever 21 Outlet.

Mel
02-07-2014, 11:43 PM
You know, I need a new hip hop hat to keep my street creds secure.

oklip955
02-08-2014, 07:47 AM
I was thinking that there is already a Lids in the mall. I wish that there was a bedding/bath store in the mall. (Bedding as in sheets/towels). Also a Lands End outlet would be nice.

Bellaboo
02-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Noticed yesterday that the construction fence is now surrounding the expansion area.

OkieNate
02-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Does anyone think this mall will eventually be covered like PSM?

Urbanized
02-12-2014, 03:58 PM
I doubt it. The trend AWAY from covered shopping malls has been very pronounced over the past decade. As a very successful mall, PSM is an outlier in that industry. Most large indoor malls are struggling; some just a little, some a lot.

shawnw
02-27-2014, 12:05 PM
Third expansion ground breaking today, from the chamber facebook:

bchris02
02-27-2014, 12:56 PM
Does anybody know what stores will be going into this expansion?

Plutonic Panda
02-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Does anybody know what stores will be going into this expansion?

this is what was said

Also Fossil and fransesca are coming to outlet shoppes in april

Also getting a Lids, and a Forever 21 Outlet.

trousers
02-27-2014, 01:22 PM
You know, I need a new hip hop hat to keep my street creds secure.

Keep it real dawg.

Urbanized
02-27-2014, 01:28 PM
http://photos.vanityfair.com/2014/02/21/1392995914422_pharrell-williams-grammys-hat-auction.jpg

trousers
02-27-2014, 01:36 PM
I never thought the kids would get hip to the Robert Baden-Powell look.

Urbanized
02-27-2014, 01:57 PM
That hat actually has a surprising hip hop pedigree.

warreng88
02-27-2014, 02:25 PM
http://photos.vanityfair.com/2014/02/21/1392995914422_pharrell-williams-grammys-hat-auction.jpg

Pharrell's thinking Arby's...

ljbab728
02-27-2014, 10:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87bUBB-rwFc

warreng88
05-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Went to the outlet mall today, drove by the new addition and it looks like it is about half the size of the first addition, meaning it come out about half the distance from the mall as the other one did. I thought this was going to be a full expansion like phase II.

Plutonic Panda
12-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Saks off of 5th is closing for some reason.

tpg4635
12-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Well thats not going to help our case of attracting more high end retailers if we can't even support an outlet version for Saks...

bchris02
12-05-2014, 11:33 AM
It would be interesting to see the numbers for Saks Fifth Ave Off Fifth, if they were under-performing and if so by how much. Didn't they have an extremely successful opening? High-end retailers are extremely cautious about the OKC market even if they do well in other cities this size or even smaller. If the store failed because it wasn't supported, it may be a bad sign for OKC's chances of getting more high-end stores going forward.

Likewise, I wonder how Nordstrom Rack and Von Maur are doing?

cedbled
12-05-2014, 11:39 AM

Betcha the rack won't be closing anytime soon; Saks failed, because they underplayed OKC. they sold trash, for the most part....
No one wants gold men's prada shoes with green polka dots for 295.00 (on sale)

But, the rest of prada's real line, for instance, would not have had any problems moving off the shelf.

A real Saks store would not fail, even if it were twice the size of that pitiful Tulsa location.

I always said that there is room here for one Full-on, large upscale dept store, but only one....
The first one to show up (NM,Saks,Nords) will WIN okc.

VonMaur doesn't count because VM is trash also......it's name should actually be in a subsequent post, as it doesn't deserve to be mentioned with the names above.

Plutonic Panda
12-05-2014, 11:41 AM
It would be interesting to see the numbers for Saks Fifth Ave Off Fifth, if they were under-performing and if so by how much. Didn't they have an extremely successful opening? High-end retailers are extremely cautious about the OKC market even if they do well in other cities this size or even smaller. If the store failed because it wasn't supported, it may be a bad sign for OKC's chances of getting more high-end stores going forward.

Likewise, I wonder how Nordstrom Rack and Von Maur are doing?

Rack seems to be doing good. Always cars in the lot when I'm passing through.

betts
12-05-2014, 12:02 PM
I've bought a few designer items at Off Fifth. But their regular merchandise was not very interesting, nor was the store attractively laid out. You feel like you're at the high end TJ Maxx, looking for a bargain in a haystack. But I never skip it when I'm at the outlet mall because of what I might find. I don't ever remember seeing many people there though. I don't know how many people are hoping to find a Chloe bag for $1800 instead of $3,000

Chadanth
12-05-2014, 12:10 PM

Do you know when?

Chadanth
12-05-2014, 12:11 PM
I've bought a few designer items at Off Fifth. But their regular merchandise was not very interesting, nor was the store attractively laid out. You feel like you're at the high end TJ Maxx, looking for a bargain in a haystack. But I never skip it when I'm at the outlet mall because of what I might find. I don't ever remember seeing many people there though. I don't know how many people are hoping to find a Chloe bag for $1800 instead of $3,000

I've bought suits and ties there, you can occasionally find a good deal. It was a pain though, and it wasn't as well laid out as other Off 5ths.

NWOKCGuy
12-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Actually, I think Saks is closing a lot of their stores. I know they're leaving the Galleria in Dallas as well.

edit: looks like they closed earlier this year. From what I can tell only San Antonio and Houston have full Saks in Texas. Austin already closed.

Plutonic Panda
12-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Do you know when?

The article says January 17th. I'm hoping they're just closing a bunch of stores and it isn't due to low sales.

Anchor store at Outlet Shoppes closing | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com (http://www.koco.com/news/anchor-store-at-outlet-shoppes-closing/30076462)

AP
12-05-2014, 12:40 PM
The article says January 17th. I'm hoping they're just closing a bunch of stores and it isn't due to low sales.

Anchor store at Outlet Shoppes closing | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com (http://www.koco.com/news/anchor-store-at-outlet-shoppes-closing/30076462)

What a great article by KOCO.

OKLAHOMA CITY —Off 5th, the Saks 5th Avenue Outlet store at the Outlet Shoppes of Oklahoma, is closing.

The store is an original anchor store at the mall.

It is unclear why the store is closing, but store employees said it was closing on Jan. 17.

^That's the entirety of the article.

bchris02
12-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Actually, I think Saks is closing a lot of their stores. I know they're leaving the Galleria in Dallas as well.

edit: looks like they closed earlier this year. From what I can tell only San Antonio and Houston have full Saks in Texas. Austin already closed.

Minneapolis also lost their Off Fifth. I am actually surprised the Tulsa store is still going.

Dustin
12-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Woooooowwwww

bchris02
12-05-2014, 12:49 PM

Journalism at its finest.

Plutonic Panda
12-05-2014, 01:08 PM

Yeah that article is questionable in the sense that he person who wrote knows how to create informative articles.

tpg4635
12-05-2014, 02:05 PM
With Saks gone, I wonder who will take their spot? Being as large as the space is, I wouldn't be surprised if it is divided up.

SomeGuy
12-05-2014, 02:28 PM
With Saks gone, I wonder who will take their spot? Being as large as the space is, I wouldn't be surprised if it is divided up.

Maybe they could try to fill it with a Last Call by Neiman Marcus or H&M maybe

Mr. Cotter
12-05-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm a little sad to see Off 5th close, but a Last Call would be fantastic! I hit the one at Park and Preston in Plano a few times a year, and usually find something. Our Nordstrom Rack has been disappointing, to me at least. I was expecting something closer to the selection of their Dallas stores, but those stores get actual Nordstrom overstock and closeout items. The one in OKC is like a slightly nicer Stein Mart on the men's selection.

Patrick
12-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Minneapolis also lost their Off Fifth. I am actually surprised the Tulsa store is still going.
The Tulsa store is actually subsidized by the owners of Utica Square. That's the only reason it's able to stay open.

ljbab728
12-05-2014, 10:04 PM

This has a little more information but still not a lot of details.

http://m.newsok.com/major-tenant-to-close-at-outlet-shoppes/article/5373270

Saks does seem to be doing some downsizing.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/business/saks-fifth-avenue-to-close-store-in-the-shops-at-riverside-1.1113309

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/Saks-to-close-Stamford-store-in-2014-4291962.php

http://www.startribune.com/business/262037431.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/latin/2013/12/exclusive-the-florida-mall-confirms.html

http://www.mrketplace.com/47308/saks-closing-dallas-store-belk-moving-in/

http://www.wwd.com/retail-news/department-stores/saks-to-close-tampa-store-6906333

If cities like Dallas, Orlando, and Minneapolis had or are having closings by Saks I don't think we need to have any hand wringing about this happening in OKC.