View Full Version : Oklahoma Factory Shoppes - I40 & Council

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20

MDot
09-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Sweet! I need to go still and see what they got and how it looks and all.

foodiefan
09-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Its a fact. There are also two chain restaurants going in. They are also in talks with more retail stores that are not in OKC. They just haven't finished the deals, so they couldn't tell me who they were. The two restaurants are already in OKC and found on Memorial.

:woowoo:Lovin' this!! I'm far enough away to be out of the "traffic pattern"
but close enough to be there in 5 minutes!!

BrettM2
12-18-2011, 09:03 PM
The book store on the east side (between Justice and Disney Outlet) is closing and has just about everything 50% off.

EricGarcia
12-18-2011, 09:05 PM
A store is already closing. Geez. That didn't take long. Too bad.

catch22
12-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Hopefully not a bad sign. Bookstore might not be the best location, though. One can expect some ventures to not make it on the first run, 100% success rate is highly unlikely in any situation.

But:
Since the initial week or two after opening, every time I have been out there there does not seem to be much traffic...

BrettM2
12-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Hopefully not a bad sign. Bookstore might not be the best location, though. One can expect some ventures to not make it on the first run, 100% success rate is highly unlikely in any situation.

But:
Since the initial week or two after opening, every time I have been out there there does not seem to be much traffic...

The mall was absolutely insane today. Not sure if you meant the book store or the mall in general, but it was definitely packed today. Parking was full everywhere I saw and stores were busy. Not sure about other times since my only other time was a Wednesday at 2pm, but today was busy.

catch22
12-18-2011, 10:35 PM
The mall in general. I would expect today, last weekend before Christmas...people like me who still need to do their gift shopping!

jbkrems
12-18-2011, 10:51 PM
I do not think a bookstore can really do well in that outlet mall. I think its a lot better site for clothing stores and the like. I know Saks and Brooks Bros does real well, and I am glad they do.

rcjunkie
12-19-2011, 03:00 AM
I had to go to the Coach Store yesterday, stood in line almost an hour to checkout. I guess the incredible savings were worth the wait. Bought 3 purses, 1 check book cover and a coin purse for less than $500.00, most items were marked 50% off, plus as you enter the store, your'e handed a card that gives you an additional 30% off.

onthestrip
12-19-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't think the book store closing is much of an indicator of how the mall is doing. The book store seemed to be an odd fit and I don't remember much signage or good window displays. I also know that traffic at the mall is much higher on the weekends than during the week. Many people drive in on the weekends to shop whereas during the week it's a little less crowded with mostly local folks

catch22
12-19-2011, 10:47 AM
One thing I do notice is out of state tags. I see a lot of Texas and Kansas plates in the parking lot. So it is doing what it was advertised to do and that is attract money into the OKC economy.

lasomeday
12-19-2011, 11:35 AM

But:

I went into the bookstore a few weeks ago looking for a new release and they told me they don't sell new releases. Kind of hard to have a book store that only sells books that don't sell.

Hopefully they can replace that two store front store with a Northface Outlet or something better.

Skyline
12-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Didn't someone with the Outlet leasing office say that there was already a waiting list for new stores?

lasomeday
12-19-2011, 11:44 AM
I think so. I know GiGi's cupcake was hoping for a permanent spot. The place they are in for the holidays is supposedly leased to another store that hasn't materialized.

poe
12-19-2011, 05:01 PM
My mom and I enjoyed the bookstore there; however, it was a little odd. Plus, its hard to compete with Half Price Books. The space could be used for another large store, or split for a few more stores.

ljbab728
01-03-2012, 11:53 PM
It looks like any expenses the city put up in surrounding street improvements are going to be paid back many times over eventually.

http://newsok.com/outlet-mall-boosts-oklahoma-citys-sales-tax-revenue/article/3637320

RoboNerd
01-04-2012, 01:15 AM
Has anyone else noticed how much the design amplifies the wind? During the winter it's rather uncomfortable. I don't really see a lot of bargains compared to Penn Square or Quail Springs. Obviously there are a few options not otherwise available, but what's going to happen when the newness wears off and the prices are the same as more comfortable shopping centers...

What am I missing here?

bombermwc
01-04-2012, 06:33 AM
Nothing, it's just a mall. I've noticed the same thing with any outlet mall i've been to. While you find some stores that aren't in other malls, you don't really get a very good discount. You may even find the "outlet" version of some brand names that discount with last season's wares, and in those situations you do get a great discount, but you have jack to pick from.

But think about it. If you have a store in the Outlet mall like Nike, they aren't going to discount much (if any) compared to a normal retailer. Why? Because they can't undersale their normal distribution system through traditional retail. If they offered siginificant discounts at the outlet mall, why would you want to go to The Finish Line or something like that? Sketchers is another example of that. In fact, i'd often find a better price at Academy than at the actual Sketchers store!

It's just another option for shopping...with stores that aren't available at other places.

BoulderSooner
01-04-2012, 06:33 AM
Has anyone else noticed how much the design amplifies the wind? During the winter it's rather uncomfortable. I don't really see a lot of bargains compared to Penn Square or Quail Springs. Obviously there are a few options not otherwise available, but what's going to happen when the newness wears off and the prices are the same as more comfortable shopping centers...

What am I missing here?

the prices are not close to the same as penn and quail ... and there are options not anywhere else in okc ...

also i am pretty sure american eagle is replacing the book store

mcca7596
01-04-2012, 09:31 AM
It introduces the concept of outdoor malls if nothing else.

I wish it could have been built like SanTan Village in Gilbert, AZ: ample parking around the perimeter but streets that go through and have angled parking as well. This concept would work in Oklahoma City; it's not too urban.

http://0.tqn.com/d/phoenix/1/7/f/k/2/mallsantan03.jpg

http://0.tqn.com/d/phoenix/1/7/g/k/2/mallsantan04.jpg

betts
01-04-2012, 10:13 AM
I was there a few days after Christmas and got some great bargains, especially at Off Fifth. I was shocked to see how much designer clothing they had. I got a DVF dress for my daughter at about 20% the orignally marked price, and an Escada dress for myself at about 25% of the original price. I saw Prada and multiple other designers as well. Those were clearly items not made specifically for an outlet store, and the prices were excellent. I'll be returning frequently, regardless of the attractiveness or lack thereof of the building.

MDot
01-04-2012, 10:20 AM
http://0.tqn.com/d/phoenix/1/7/f/k/2/mallsantan03.jpg

http://0.tqn.com/d/phoenix/1/7/g/k/2/mallsantan04.jpg

I wouldn't be against this.

OKCNDN
01-04-2012, 11:08 AM
I would like to see a comparison of sales tax revenue, pre and post-outlet mall presence, of tax districts close to OKC, particularly Moore.

Well we would probably have to wait until at least summer to get an even partially accurate picture of how the outlet mall may have affected sales tax collection. The grand opening sales tax collection may only show a one-time drop in sales tax revenue in other tax districts due to the newness factor of the mall. Everyone wanted to at least go check it out. And each Christmas season is different.

We may need to wait a few non-grand opening/christmas revenue collection periods to get a true accounting of the effect of the mall on surrounding tax collections.

poe
01-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I was there a few days after Christmas and got some great bargains, especially at Off Fifth. I was shocked to see how much designer clothing they had. I got a DVF dress for my daughter at about 20% the orignally marked price, and an Escada dress for myself at about 25% of the original price. I saw Prada and multiple other designers as well. Those were clearly items not made specifically for an outlet store, and the prices were excellent. I'll be returning frequently, regardless of the attractiveness or lack thereof of the building.

Agree. I found plenty of nice merchandise at Off 5th; bought some Cole Haan sunglasses that I wouldn't have given a single glance at a normal mall and a Penguin skull cap. I'll be going back plenty of times.

TheTravellers
01-04-2012, 01:08 PM
It introduces the concept of outdoor malls if nothing else.

You mean similar to what Penn Square used to be about 30 years ago? :LolLolLol

foodiefan
01-04-2012, 06:15 PM

Otherwise known as the "cycle of life". . or re-inventing the wheel!!

mcca7596
01-04-2012, 08:51 PM

Ah, you're right; I forget about that easily when I only turned 22 today. lol

MDot
01-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Ah, you're right; I forget about that easily when I only turned 22 today. lol

Happy Birthday.

mcca7596
01-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Happy Birthday.

Gracias!

MDot
01-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Gracias!

De nada.

ljbab728
01-05-2012, 12:37 AM
I wouldn't be against this.

That design looks fine but I don't see any major benefit compared to what we got with the Outlet center. The few cars that can park next to the building would enjoy it I guess. LOL

bombermwc
01-05-2012, 06:36 AM
There's a similar area in Kansas City. The upscale area is all outdoor stores like a normal street would be. Except they included some parking garages in the mix here and there so you don't have to walk all over creation to get there...it's not downtown, and it's far more urban than the AZ example. A short walk a few blocks over and you're also to a little less upscale area with plenty of good stuff. It's the real concept of what outdoor pedestrian shopping can be.

But like with any outdoor one, when it's hot then you want to die and when it's cold you want to die. Hence why they all moved indoors in the first place. The whole Town Center outdoor concept came back because people want to be able to park right outside their shop and not walk through the mall to get there...ie lazy.

mcca7596
01-05-2012, 08:24 AM
That design looks fine but I don't see any major benefit compared to what we got with the Outlet center. The few cars that can park next to the building would enjoy it I guess. LOL

I guess I just really want that "main street feel" for shopping somewhere in the metro.

ljbab728
01-05-2012, 11:45 PM
I guess I just really want that "main street feel" for shopping somewhere in the metro.

I guess if you're one of the few cars that can park next to the building you might get that feel. For most people in a large complex that won't be possible though.

You can still get that feel in the metro in downtown Norman and to some extent in downtown Edmond or downtown Yukon.

mcca7596
01-06-2012, 12:10 AM
I guess if you're one of the few cars that can park next to the building you might get that feel. For most people in a large complex that won't be possible though.

At places like SanTan though, that's just it, there are multiple buildings like the ones I posted, with numerous stores. There are several cross streets within the complex. It's not like you have to get lucky to be able to walk from store to store, that will happen no matter where you park.

When I say "main street feel", I mean more in the sense of the amenity of walking OUTSIDE along sidewalks from store to store, moreso than the ability to park right up to the store on the street.

I suppose ultimately, the outlet mall does have that feel, sans traditional sidewalks; it just feels more like a mall with half a roof/partially outside to me.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=SanTan+Village,+Gilbert,+AZ&hl=en&ll=33.309577,-111.740892&spn=0.004151,0.009645&sll=33.309657,-111.742587&sspn=0.004116,0.013733&vpsrc=6&hnear=Santan+Village,+Gilbert,+Maricopa,+Arizona&t=h&z=17

ljbab728
01-06-2012, 12:28 AM
At places like SanTan though, that's just it, there are multiple buildings like the ones I posted, with numerous stores. There are several cross streets within the complex. It's not like you have to get lucky to be able to walk from store to store, that will happen no matter where you park.

When I say "main street feel", I mean more in the sense of the amenity of walking OUTSIDE along sidewalks from store to store, moreso than the ability to park right up to the store on the street.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=SanTan+Village,+Gilbert,+AZ&hl=en&ll=33.309577,-111.740892&spn=0.004151,0.009645&sll=33.309657,-111.742587&sspn=0.004116,0.013733&vpsrc=6&hnear=Santan+Village,+Gilbert,+Maricopa,+Arizona&t=h&z=17

That may give you a main street feel for part of the complex but it is surrounded by a sea of parking lots just like any shopping mall. What would be an enclosed area in many malls is open with a street and parking. If in you're parking in the outer parking area instead of one of the few spots next to the buildings you will still have major walking to do. Not that walking is bad though. I'm not knocking the design but I don't see it as an example of an ideal shopping area.

mcca7596
01-06-2012, 12:31 AM
... but I don't see it as an example of an ideal shopping area.

Oh no, me neither in the sense of its sustainability or urbanity. I just personally really enjoy the atmosphere. :-)

foodiefan
01-06-2012, 07:07 AM
xxxx

foodiefan
01-06-2012, 07:09 AM
SanTan looks a bit like a "new" Utica Square to me.

Larry OKC
01-08-2012, 12:10 AM
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-tax-revenue-gets-boost-from-outlet-mall/article/3637744?custom_click=pod_headline_opinion-oklahoman-editorials

The bump represents about $100,000 per month extra so far for the city.

Total sales during the outlet mall's first four months of business were about $50 million, which is $15 million higher than city officials projected.

While the $50 million total and $15 million increase is accurate (based on the projections made when this was proposed back in '07 or so), the rest of the math isn't adding up??? Someone help me....

$50 million in sales over the 4 month period
x 3.875% (City share of the 8.375% sales tax)

This is 4.8 times the amount reported??? Where is the other $384,000/month?

stoid
01-08-2012, 10:24 AM
The rest is probably in employer taxes , it is a huge amount of each owners payroll and eats up profits possible.

Popsy
01-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Well Larry, it seems to me that there could be very simple answers. If the outlet malls tax collections for the month were $485,375 for each month, but the total sales tax collected by the city only increased by $100,000 that tells me that other sources collected $384,000 less than what they collected in the prior year. This would indicate that the outlet mall had a higher impact on other merchants than what the city had hoped would happen. Also the tax holiday occurred during the period referenced and that event could have affected the numbers. If you could come up with the total sales eligible for the tax holiday were we could apply the 3.875% to that number to arrive at a more effective number. So maybe there is not one of your conspiracies here after all.

OKC1987
01-19-2012, 09:26 PM
"The Outlet Shoppes at Oklahoma City, at Interstate 40 and Council Road, is fully leased, said mall manager Debbie Griesinger. Leasing has begun for phase two of the project, which is in the planning stages, she said."

Exciting news!

Read more: http://newsok.com/the-outlet-shoppes-announces-three-new-stores/article/3641805#ixzz1jy9rw1f9

Jesseda
01-19-2012, 09:48 PM
what will phase 2 bring? is it a expansion? how big?

Snowman
01-19-2012, 10:03 PM
what will phase 2 bring? is it a expansion? how big?

Similar build style of the other structures. If you look at an aerial view, you will see two grass rectangles on the south side of the east and west buildings where new buildings will go.

mrktguy29
01-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Saw today where American Eagle Outfitters is going to be moving in. I didnt see if it was Phase 1 or pre-lease to Phase II

mcca7596
01-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Saw today where American Eagle Outfitters is going to be moving in. I didnt see if it was Phase 1 or pre-lease to Phase II

I believe it is filling the space where the bookstore was.

G.Walker
01-20-2012, 07:09 AM
man, phase 2 already, must have been a huge success!

G.Walker
01-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Ok, I found it, expansion potential is up to an additional 60,000 square feet....nice...

progressiveboy
01-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Maybe perhaps a Nordstrom Rack? Just recently, saw article in DO (about 2-3 weeks ago) where they are looking into the OKC market. I believe Armani XC and Kenneth Cole would be another good fit!

lasomeday
01-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Kenneth Cole is alreay there.

They are also selling the surrounding land for development. Many new to OKC stores are in the works. I am "friends" with some bankers that are working on the projects.

cedbled
01-20-2012, 09:47 AM

NO. I WOULD DEFINITELY KNOW THIS

speaking of, we need a Lacoste here also
and perhaps a Watch Store outlet, I've seen some in Florida

metro
01-20-2012, 09:36 PM

They are also selling the surrounding land for development. Many new to OKC stores are in the works. I am "friends" with some bankers that are working on the projects.

No, I believe you are thinking of Cole Haan, completely different.

metro
01-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Lacoste, Armani Exchange AX, Kenneth Cole, Columbia, Burberry, Diesel, Hugo Boss, Prada, Fossil, Williams Sonoma would all be great fits and really make this one of the premier outlet malls in the country.

ljbab728
01-21-2012, 12:27 AM

I haven't been there but the website does not list Kenneth Cole as a tennant.

http://www.horizongroup.com/Post/sections/10935/Files/MallDirectory81211.pdf

HOT ROD
01-25-2012, 09:23 PM
I can confirm that Nordstrom is looking at Oklahoma City. But so far there is nothing concrete as we already have our expansion plans through early 2013 set.

mcca7596
01-25-2012, 09:45 PM
I can confirm that Nordstrom is looking at Oklahoma City. But so far there is nothing concrete as we already have our expansion plans through early 2013 set.

I assume you're talking about a Nordstrom Rack, and probably in the outlet mall? Is there actually a possibility of a true Nordstrom department store?

jbkrems
01-25-2012, 10:18 PM
I think we might see both in a few years. Nordstroms usually puts a Rack store, and a dept store in cities it can. I think the outlet mall could use a Nordstrom Rack, too.

soonerliberal
01-26-2012, 03:21 PM
If only JC Penney could leave Penn Square... that would be the only viable CURRENT option for a true Nordstrom. I find it hard to believe that they would introduce a Rack if there are no mainline stores in the area, but I've seen stranger things.

metro
01-26-2012, 05:06 PM
If only JC Penney could leave Penn Square... that would be the only viable CURRENT option for a true Nordstrom. I find it hard to believe that they would introduce a Rack if there are no mainline stores in the area, but I've seen stranger things.

No, Dillards could go back to ONE anchor spot instead of two.