View Full Version : Oklahoma Factory Shoppes - I40 & Council

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20

Spartan
08-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Let's send out the search party. Perhaps that godawful Coach line would be a good place to start? Lol

onthestrip
08-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Hey Spartan, what does the polo outlet charge for their typical solid color polo?

jarrington00
08-06-2011, 09:44 AM
The city is going to have to address the I-40/Council intersection in the near future. They need at least two defined lanes to exit not just one.

On another note:
Can we bulldoze the two gas stations? Can someone put in a couple decent ones that for one don't close at 8PM on a Friday and two make a better impression on the surrounding area than what is currently represented.

SkyWestOKC
08-06-2011, 09:48 AM
That area will start to develop with that much traffic going through there. I'd expect a few hotels to come up nearby and some nicer pad site restaurants to come up.

Jettmiester
08-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Dillard has a momopoly on Polo? Macy's has it too. Anyone else miss Harolds?

metro
08-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Harolds was subpar, unstylish merchandise at luxury prices.

lasomeday
08-06-2011, 11:53 AM
That area will start to develop with that much traffic going through there. I'd expect a few hotels to come up nearby and some nicer pad site restaurants to come up.

I don't know about hotels being so close to the hotel rich Meridian, but it will definitely attract more restaurants and hopefully more outlet stores to be addded on to the mall. I would love to see a Northface Outlet. The food options at the food court are not the best so restaurants nearby would be great. Hopefully we can attract a diverse group of places to eat that are not nearby on Meridian.

Larry OKC
08-06-2011, 11:53 AM

No doubt. This turn have been the best $5MM the City has invested for development (or whatever the final number ended up being).

Double Edge
08-06-2011, 12:59 PM
You don't have to go to Meridian. We have gained quite a few more eating options in recent history at the Rockwell to MacArthur area a mile or two east of the mall. There are maybe 10 to 15 in that area. Some on Reno, some on Mac just north of 40 and some on the Westgate Marketplace access road between Rockwell and Mac.

Steak and Shake was the most recent one. I'd be happy with more though, wife and I only frequent about 6 of them and frequently go to Yukon or NW Expressway for other options like Chilis, Carinos, Which Wich, TGI Fridays, Red Lobster or Charlestons. We need a good Italian food joint, a fish place would be nice and something up scale too.

There is a newer Hilton just east of Rockwell too.

Double Edge
08-06-2011, 01:06 PM
They set up $5 parking across the street at the front of the ATT building this morning. Is that called OKC Works now? I can never remember what they are calling it. It would be good if they could figure out how to capitalize on this deal.

Jesseda
08-06-2011, 01:28 PM
The wife insists we go this evening...if I survive, I'll report back.

:(

oh no he never reported back, it must be bad at that outlet, we lost one of our own!!!!

Double Edge
08-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Flesh Mob

Spartan
08-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Hey Spartan, what does the polo outlet charge for their typical solid color polo?

$20-30, a really great deal, because those are pretty much all I wear. To tell the truth though, you do sometimes have to inspect the entire shirt first, because they will mix in the lightly damaged shirts along with all of the surplus.

I say the Dillard's monopoly because Macy's carries a fraction of the stock that the Penn Square Dillard's has, but Macy's also has Lacoste, albeit like one rack (the metro's Lacoste rack Lol).

redrunner
08-06-2011, 03:01 PM
$20-30, a really great deal, because those are pretty much all I wear. To tell the truth though, you do sometimes have to inspect the entire shirt first, because they will mix in the lightly damaged shirts along with all of the surplus.

I say the Dillard's monopoly because Macy's carries a fraction of the stock that the Penn Square Dillard's has, but Macy's also has Lacoste, albeit like one rack (the metro's Lacoste rack Lol).

Are the only sizes left size fat?

lasomeday
08-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Has anybody tried Smashburger? I am going to try to make it there tonight!

soonerguru
08-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Has anybody tried Smashburger? I am going to try to make it there tonight!

Smashburger is awesome! Their fries are outstanding, too. I liked it a lot better than Five Guys.

redrunner
08-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Made it out to the Shoppes tonight and was expecting to sort through the scraps but surprisingly there was a lot of selection still available in all sizes. Everything at Polo RL was 25% off and everything at Banana Republic was 40% off. Nike and J Crew had a lot of good stuff too. I was surprised to see Book Warehouse taking up way too much space than they need. There's too much dead space in between the shelves. It takes up two suites. Would be nice if they consolidated into one and allowed another retailer to take the other. I only noticed lines outside the door at Coach and Smashburger.

lasomeday
08-06-2011, 09:25 PM
I was in the line at Smashburger! It was awesome! I got the Oklahoma Burger, Sweet potato fries, and a shake. The burger and fries were awesome! The meat on the burger was flavorful and the toppings were a bit salty, but good. The fries had a sweet rosemary taste. The shake was OK. You can't get a shake better than Braums.

I was also surprised the shelves were still stocked. I finally made into Under Armour. Their shelves were picked pretty hard, but they still had what I wanted! I agree on the bookstore, what a waste of space! It is the only store that is sprawled out. Every other store has shelves everywhere.

I also made it into a lot of other stores. They all had a great selection. I peared into the Coach store and it looked INSANE in there still at 9PM at night! The line wasn't too long out the door, but it wrapped around inside to a few shelves that had purple purses on it. I have no idea what women see in that store!

I wasn't sure, but I think Gigi's cupcakes has a place there. It doesn't really have a sign, but it has a banner inside. I hope it has a store there. It would be the first cupcake place on the westside.

The place was packed, but everyone was happy to be there.

Rover
08-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Smashburger is awesome! Their fries are outstanding, too. I liked it a lot better than Five Guys.

No way. 5 guys is awesome. But I liked SB in Wichita...however, it has since folded for lack of business.

Have you tried Cow Calf Hay restaurant at 33rd & Broadway in Edmond? All fresh, all juicy and all great. And local too.

ljbab728
08-06-2011, 11:53 PM
The city is going to have to address the I-40/Council intersection in the near future. They need at least two defined lanes to exit not just one.

That expense is not justified based on traffic from a perfect storm like this weekend. You could say the same thing about the I35 and the exits in Norman on OU game days. The traffic will even out and the current configuration should be fine.

bbhill
08-07-2011, 11:17 AM
I went yesterday around 6pm when the storm was brewing and the dust that was blowing in and around the mall was a nightmare. I hope they do something about this soon. Also, I felt that the mall in general was pretty trashy. I know its opening weekend and they are busy and all, but dang, I've never seen such a dirty place. Not particularly impressed with the architecture and construction quality either. . . Not to be a negative jerk, but it seems like OKC has been shafted once again with a subpar development. I've been to other outlet malls in Texas and they just all seem to be a bit nicer. I think there's enough wealth in OKC that we can start having nice things too. . .

All of my complaining aside, I'm glad this project is complete and we now have loads of new shopping options. I'm hopeful that this place will attract the right crowd and will have a successful future. :)

Rover
08-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I went yesterday around 6pm when the storm was brewing and the dust that was blowing in and around the mall was a nightmare. I hope they do something about this soon. Also, I felt that the mall in general was pretty trashy. I know its opening weekend and they are busy and all, but dang, I've never seen such a dirty place. Not particularly impressed with the architecture and construction quality either. . . Not to be a negative jerk, but it seems like OKC has been shafted once again with a subpar development. I've been to other outlet malls in Texas and they just all seem to be a bit nicer. I think there's enough wealth in OKC that we can start having nice things too. . .

All of my complaining aside, I'm glad this project is complete and we now have loads of new shopping options. I'm hopeful that this place will attract the right crowd and will have a successful future. :)

This is the same architecture and construction they use in many states and cities...exactly like one I've been to between Seattle and Vancouver. And, the ones I have been too in Texas are comparable. North Texas...mostly dead and never much from design or construction. Grapevine Mills...BIG and cheap building. Allen....big strip mall. This is competitive. Outlet malls by their nature aren't going to be fancy edifices. Glad we have one though. It is just another piece of the shopping puzzle here that we didn't have.

Snowman
08-07-2011, 02:34 PM
That expense is not justified based on traffic from a perfect storm like this weekend. You could say the same thing about the I35 and the exits in Norman on OU game days. The traffic will even out and the current configuration should be fine.

Both Rockwell and Council tend to get backed up enough that normal rush hour traffic often fills the entire ramp going westbound for the last several years and periodically spill into the interstate shoulder, Morgan use to do the same even worse but in theory the new interchange is more efficient and will have more space for queuing anyway. MacArthur and Meridian were upgraded a few years ago adding additional queuing capacity, so it seems ODOT will continue the trend in the area eventually.

Jettmiester
08-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Harolds was subpar, unstylish merchandise at luxury prices.

I remember Harolds being high end, but not unstylish, well, unless they became that way. I hadn't shopped at a Harolds since 1993 or so. When I moved back to the area recenlty, they were gone.

metro
08-07-2011, 07:27 PM
I remember Harolds being high end, but not unstylish, well, unless they became that way. I hadn't shopped at a Harolds since 1993 or so. When I moved back to the area recenlty, they were gone.

It was grandpa wear at Ralph Lauren prices

Jettmiester
08-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Now, thats funny! 100% polyester expandomatic pants. lol

bluedogok
08-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Grapevine Mills...BIG and cheap building.
Didn't Grapevine Mills used to be a regular shopping mall that was converted into an outlet center? It sure looks like it.

Now, thats funny! 100% polyester expandomatic pants. lol
I never saw a pair of those in there......I used to shop there quite a bit until I got too big for their shirt sizes in the late 90's. It was always very nice traditional clothing. It was never metrosexual club wear, you had to go to Oak Tree for that.

Jettmiester
08-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Anthony's had the polyester expandomatics.

SatelliteHigh
08-07-2011, 09:35 PM
I went yesterday around 6pm when the storm was brewing and the dust that was blowing in and around the mall was a nightmare. I hope they do something about this soon.

I agree that the large dirt fields are kind of odd. I would think they would try to grow grass there, at least for aesthetic reasons. More than that though, I find it hard to understand why those fields can't just be turned into parking lots.

Also, I felt that the mall in general was pretty trashy. I know its opening weekend and they are busy and all, but dang, I've never seen such a dirty place.

I work in security for the mall, so I've been there 12 hours a day since the VIP opening. The the up-keeping has definitely been sub-par, but with the sheer number of people there, I can't imagine a janitorial staff being able to keep the entire place that tidy. Lets say a janitorial staff of 8 will be needed for the mall. It's not like they are going to hire 20 just for the grand opening and then lay off 12 people. I suppose it would be difficult to find temporary 3-day janitors.

Also, I'll point out that you were there during the strong winds. When the winds blew through the mall, it blew tons of trash out through the corridors. I don't know where it all came from, but after the winds died down going down the corridors was like walking through a land fill. The other days and times were nothing like that.

Rover
08-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Didn't Grapevine Mills used to be a regular shopping mall that was converted into an outlet center? It sure looks like it.

It was built as an outlet. It is exactly the same plan as the Ontario Mills outlet mall in Los Angeles.

bluedogok
08-08-2011, 07:23 AM
I agree that the large dirt fields are kind of odd. I would think they would try to grow grass there, at least for aesthetic reasons. More than that though, I find it hard to understand why those fields can't just be turned into parking lots.
Probably those will be temporary parking during the opening rush, after things settle down the only time there might be someone parking there is around Christmas. It doesn't make economic nor environmental sense to pave over those areas if they are going to be rarely used. To put enough water on it to heat it grow and root in would be making in t muddy and not a suitable parking are. With the current heat/drought it would be hard to get grass to root in and then park cars on it at this time effectively wasting a bunch of money of sod that is going to be killed and have to be replaced later.

It was built as an outlet. It is exactly the same plan as the Ontario Mills outlet mall in Los Angeles.
I wasn't sure, it looked like an older mall converted to me.

adaniel
08-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Probably those will be temporary parking during the opening rush, after things settle down the only time there might be someone parking there is around Christmas. It doesn't make economic nor environmental sense to pave over those areas if they are going to be rarely used. To put enough water on it to heat it grow and root in would be making in t muddy and not a suitable parking are. With the current heat/drought it would be hard to get grass to root in and then park cars on it at this time effectively wasting a bunch of money of sod that is going to be killed and have to be replaced later.

Wasn't it mentioned that the mall would like to expand in the future? I would think with this factor alone they would want to avoid hogging that space up for parking, which would have to be graded, sloped for drainage, paved, only to be torn up in the future. At the very least, they may want to sell the land as outparcels for restaraunts, other shops, etc.

If this past opening weekend is any indication of how successful this mall will be I will imagine one or both of these scenarios will happen pretty soon.

G.Walker
08-08-2011, 11:21 AM
I think its too early to determine the success of the outlet mall at this point, its grand opening weekend, and tax free weekend at that, of course it will be crowded. I would wait at least a year to rate this development as an success/fail, after the hype has calmed down. Moreover, we will see how many of those stores renew their leases, after initial leasing agreements have lapsed. Nonetheless, good and much needed development for OKC.

onthestrip
08-08-2011, 08:44 PM
I think its too early to determine the success of the outlet mall at this point, its grand opening weekend, and tax free weekend at that, of course it will be crowded. I would wait at least a year to rate this development as an success/fail, after the hype has calmed down. Moreover, we will see how many of those stores renew their leases, after initial leasing agreements have lapsed. Nonetheless, good and much needed development for OKC.

Id say the fact that it opened 100% leased is reason to believe that it is and will continue to be a success. Theyve said they can add 60,000sf of more space which wouldnt surprise me if they did. And those dirt lots around the parking lots will most likely be restaurants in the future.

poe
08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
It'd be nice to one day see a Pottery Barn Outlet or some other type of furniture outlet here.

old okie
08-09-2011, 01:42 PM
We went there today; no problem w/traffic or parking. Lots of people, lots of people buying, and it's not tax-free time.

Thought the mall reminded us of the one that was at Santa Fe several years ago, but last time we were there, most of the stores had closed. Hope that doesn't happen here. This is a good place to walk around and see "stuff"--even though we don't buy much [as retirees, our needs are much less than before].

Would love to see some of the stores that are at San Marcos, but think a number of those businesses no longer have outlet mall stores [like Oneida].

As we were walking around, though, it did NOT "feel" as if we were in OKC, in spite of the heat! Definitely a new and positive look for OKC shopping!

Larry OKC
08-10-2011, 02:56 AM
May head out there later this morning to check it out if things have calmed down a bit (before the weekend again). This was the "perfect storm" type of opening by the media reports.
Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-citys-outlet-mall-attracts-record-crowds/article/3592839#ixzz1Uc9iB100

More than 161,000 people visited The Outlet Shoppes at Oklahoma City Friday through Sunday, smashing retailers' and mall owners' expectations, said Gina Slechta, a spokeswoman for Horizon Group Properties, which owns the mall at Interstate 40 and Council Road. “It was truly the biggest opening we've seen,” she said ... In the parking lot, one in every six license plates were from outside Oklahoma...
I good number of people from out of state (especially since it isn't located near a border) and all of the surrounding communities spending money in the OKC city limits. Good news for the State & great news for the City!

metro
08-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Larry, why are you so surprised?

lasomeday
08-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Wow, that is awesome! I know I went out there twice and spent more than I care to mention. I went back last night with my sister from out of town and we spent even more money. It is not as crazy, but the sales are still going on. Not all the stores have the great sales, and there wasn't a line at the Coach store, so Metro you can get your woman a purse and not have to wait in line!

Larry OKC
08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Larry, why are you so surprised?
LOL I'm sorry, surprised about what? I am endeavoring to post positive things from time to time as I know that it can be understandably perceived that I am always negative, have nothing positive to say about the City and/or State, some even have gone as far as to suggest I wasn't born here and/or certainly hate living here etc. None of which are the case.

I still think an even better choice would have been to locate it (maybe as a southern anchor for Core to Shore (to help with the redevlopment and vitality of DT that everyone says they want). Or have plopped it in somewhere along lower Bricktown (if there was room).

ljbab728
08-10-2011, 10:27 PM
I still think an even better choice would have been to locate it (maybe as a southern anchor for Core to Shore (to help with the redevlopment and vitality of DT that everyone says they want). Or have plopped it in somewhere along lower Bricktown (if there was room).

Larry, that would have required massive parking facilities in those areas and doesn't fit in with what I would invision for either Core to Shore or Bricktown.

Larry OKC
08-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Well, we already have massive parking facilities (surface lots) in place and I have been told many times there is NO parking problem anywhere in the area (so there should be plenty)...but if not just build another parking structure. just imagine 161,000 more people adding to the vibrancy of DT! That's equal to a couple of OU home football games..GO SOONERS!

I thought from the renderings that the Outlet Mall looked remarkably like the Core to Shore ones and would have fit in perfectly. But it is where it is and ain't moving.

onthestrip
08-11-2011, 08:03 AM
I imagine the developers had reasons for why they picked the location that they did. I bet available land and costs had a big reason they didn't go downtown. Also, sometimes proximity to other malls is a factor on where they locate. And what core to shore renderings had something that looked like the outlet mall.

Larry OKC
08-11-2011, 10:04 AM
i am sure they did have their reasons. Just saying that the City could have urged them to locate where we are trying to build things up, revitalize etc instead of out on the edge is all. And maybe the City did but the developers said, no thanks we really want to be here sort of thing. But I haven't read anything that would indicate that to be the case so just dont know if it happened or not. the City was wise in holding off building the infrastructure until it was certain that this was going through. Cant point to anything in particular since i dont have the renderings handy but just the over feeling I got from both seemed similar. heck, they enderings may have been done by the same firm/artist so that might explain what i was seeing too. LOL

Jettmiester
08-11-2011, 08:47 PM
I think where it is is fine. Getting to downtown from I-40 (and back on it again) is a nightmare, plus I-40 is being relocated. Nothing wrong with where they put this at all IMO. I don't recall seeing an "outlet" mall in a downtown setting, Usually out near the burbs is where they go.

Popsy
08-12-2011, 02:04 PM
It used to be that outlet stores had to be at least 50 miles from a store that was selling their brand. That was the reason for the outlet stores in Stroud and Gainesville, TX. My wife and I went to Oklahoma Factory Shoppes today. I went for a smash burger and she went to the Coach store. I left unimpressed. She left with four Coach purses and four wallets.

metro
08-12-2011, 02:08 PM
it used to be that outlet stores had to be at least 50 miles from a store that was selling their brand. That was the reason for the outlet stores in stroud and gainesville, tx. My wife and i went to oklahoma factory shoppes today. I went for a smash burger and she went to the coach store. I left unimpressed. She left with four coach purses and four wallets.

lol

Steve
08-12-2011, 05:44 PM
I'd say the right impression was made on the right person!

Easy180
08-12-2011, 07:15 PM
It used to be that outlet stores had to be at least 50 miles from a store that was selling their brand. That was the reason for the outlet stores in Stroud and Gainesville, TX. My wife and I went to Oklahoma Factory Shoppes today. I went for a smash burger and she went to the Coach store. I left unimpressed. She left with four Coach purses and four wallets.

4 purses? One for every outfit or what? And here I am whining about the one Coach my wifey buys a year

Popsy
08-12-2011, 07:58 PM
4 purses? One for every outfit or what? And here I am whining about the one Coach my wifey buys a year

No, she said one of them was intended to be a Christmas gift. In re-reading what I posted I realized I was not specific about what I was not impressed with, which was the smash burger. As to the development, I never made it past the food court due to heat, so I have no opinion about the development other than they need to put up a bunch more tents.

Larry OKC
08-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Sounds like we both should have gone out there Thurs, when the temps were in the 70s for most of the day!

Popsy
08-13-2011, 05:17 PM
You are spot on about that. I think I stood in line 20-30 minutes outside with the sun beating down on me and then about 15 minutes in line once inside with the air conditioning not helping that much. Also, there were no tables inside not being used, so I had to go to the outside of the food court under a metal umbrella to eat the meal. I have not ruled out the possibility that the heat impacted my opinion that the smash burger was unimpressive. I will have to give it another try in November.

lasomeday
09-26-2011, 12:02 PM
I heard from a very very reliable source that there have been a lot of new developments coming to the empty land around the mall. Also in the development to the east with Home Depot. All I can say is DICKS.....

Jesseda
09-26-2011, 08:40 PM
I heard from a very very reliable source that there have been a lot of new developments coming to the empty land around the mall. Also in the development to the east with Home Depot. All I can say is DICKS.....

how dare you use that language..i dont know what to say, but how rude..good day to you....I say good day

MDot
09-26-2011, 08:54 PM
how dare you use that language..i dont know what to say, but how rude..good day to you....I say good day

Haha, if lasomeday is right though, that is very exciting news for Oklahoma City in general.

SkyWestOKC
09-26-2011, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't rule it out. A few weeks ago, the Dicks Sporting Goods corporate jet flew into OKC.

MDot
09-26-2011, 09:35 PM
That officially gives me hope SkyWest.

Soonerman
09-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Dick's Sporting Goods would be a nice add to the city if true.

lasomeday
09-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Its a fact. There are also two chain restaurants going in. They are also in talks with more retail stores that are not in OKC. They just haven't finished the deals, so they couldn't tell me who they were. The two restaurants are already in OKC and found on Memorial.

theparkman81
09-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Its a fact. There are also two chain restaurants going in. They are also in talks with more retail stores that are not in OKC. They just haven't finished the deals, so they couldn't tell me who they were. The two restaurants are already in OKC and found on Memorial.

That will be awesome, and oh by the way I went to the outlet mall last sunday, and i got to say that I was impressed with it, hope that area will expand.