View Full Version : Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

SoonerDave
10-27-2014, 09:29 AM
I remember Steak and Ale. They were around in Texas as recently as 2008. There was another restaurant called Black Eyed Pea, that used to be here but is now gone. They are still all over Texas.

Black Eyed Pea was caught on the leading edge of the health-food craze that's basically teaching everyone if it isn't a leafy vegetable its going to kill you. They were very much a traditional Southern offerings restaurant, fried chicken, chicken fried steaks, chops, and while it was good, it was never (for us) quite as good as it always seemed it could be. They did have an excellent codfish and wild rice dinner that I enjoyed frequently.

They tried to reinvent themselves at a corporate level by adding the "Grille" moniker to their name, and many of their restaurants in Texas still have it in some fashion, but they just never hit stride here in OK and their franchise holder, as I recall reading or hearing third hand (at least LOL) just gave it up. The location on SW74th and I-240 was empty for a year or more until Joe's Crab Shack went in, and its just nasty. My wife likes seafood a great deal more than I do, and we went there a few times when they first opened, but as their food quality dropped and greasy/nasty quotient increased, even she gave up on them. Obviously plenty of other folks like them as they're still around, but they're not among our regular visits.

There was a time back in the late 70's early 80's when Steak & Ale aspired to be an upscale dinner/steak house. Quiet, dimly lit, slightly higher-than-average pricing, upscale environment with cloth tablecloths, I remember it being a "big deal" to go there - then, somewhere along the way, they shifted their target somehow and became much more mainstream - and the quality went down with it.

As for OKC steaks, the one name whose departure I will forever lament is Glen's Hik-ry Inn. Just won't be another place like that again.

ctchandler
10-27-2014, 08:57 PM
As for OKC steaks, the one name whose departure I will forever lament is Glen's Hik-ry Inn. Just won't be another place like that again.

SoonerDave,
Don't you think your memories are overriding common sense. I loved Glen's, went there after the prom (twice) and I went there with my late wife as well, but it didn't really hold a candle to the other places here in OKC. Jamil's, Christopher's, Junior's, Haunted House, Eddie's, Jaques', and I know I'm leaving out quite a few others. Great memories, yes, good food, yes, but there were a lot of other's that were better.
C. T.

Jim Kyle
10-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Great memories, yes, good food, yes, but there were a lot of other's that were better.
C. T.But no other steak place had my ham radio buddy Wally Brown at the organ, or served such a wonderful smorgasbord at noon most every day!

I'll grant that Junior's served a great steak the only time I was there, but I could have taken my wife out more than 10 times to Glen's for what I paid for that one anniversary dinner at Junior's -- and Wally wasn't there to give us "Tico Tico" as soon as he saw us walk in... Dub Farley in the piano bar was good, but no replacement!

SouthSide
10-27-2014, 09:34 PM
Finished reading the Life On the Line today. It made me miss Dodson's fresh veggies & rolls. Does anyone remember Across the Street restaurant? It was on SW 59th street. Great chicken fried steak.

SoonerDave
10-28-2014, 07:18 AM
SoonerDave,
Don't you think your memories are overriding common sense. I loved Glen's, went there after the prom (twice) and I went there with my late wife as well, but it didn't really hold a candle to the other places here in OKC. Jamil's, Christopher's, Junior's, Haunted House, Eddie's, Jaques', and I know I'm leaving out quite a few others. Great memories, yes, good food, yes, but there were a lot of other's that were better.
C. T.

No, not really, CT. Christopher's was closed by the time I found out what it was, and I never visited Junior's. Been to Haunted House, and while it was a very elegant atmosphere, I wouldn't say it was arbitrarily better than Glen's - besides, I think that's a little apples-to-oranges comparison. HH is/was a destination/theme place. I used to imagine/hope to take a date I really wanted to impress to Glen's, but it was gone before that era of my life arrived :)

Eddy's in its heyday was great, so yes, I'd put it in that Glen's category, What disappointed me about Eddy's was when I took my family there during their "going out of business" era that last couple of weeks, and I should have known better - it was very much reflective of the status of the restaurant (going out and not very good).

I realize all of these preferences are subjective, so if some folks don't like Glen's, c'est la vie. I remember it fondly, and wish we had it back.

SoonerDave
10-28-2014, 07:27 AM
Finished reading the Life On the Line today. It made me miss Dodson's fresh veggies & rolls. Does anyone remember Across the Street restaurant? It was on SW 59th street. Great chicken fried steak.

I miss their chocolate icebox pie.

One of my fondest kid memories from one summer was when, on a lark, my mom took me over to Dodson's and bought a whole chocolate pie, then took it over to my grandmother's house (she lived just a couple miles south of there), and we divvied up the whole thing into three big slices and scarfed it down. We knew how outrageous it was, but we laughed while I gulped down a big glass of cold milk. Wish I could remember how old I was at the time - maybe ten or eleven, not sure - but is a fun, fun memory.

ctchandler
10-28-2014, 11:45 AM
But no other steak place had my ham radio buddy Wally Brown at the organ, or served such a wonderful smorgasbord at noon most every day!

I'll grant that Junior's served a great steak the only time I was there, but I could have taken my wife out more than 10 times to Glen's for what I paid for that one anniversary dinner at Junior's -- and Wally wasn't there to give us "Tico Tico" as soon as he saw us walk in... Dub Farley in the piano bar was good, but no replacement!

Jim,
Their smorgasbord was excellent, and although I don't remember him (senility of course), Mr. Brown at the organ sounds like a nice addition to a good meal. Although not a steak place, Mr. Joe Dodson on the piano at Dodson's Cafeteria is a great memory. And yes, Glen's was cheaper than Junior's, but not much cheaper than Jamil's or Eddie's. I would say the cheapest place in town for good steaks during that era was Hardy's, then Glen's, then Jamil's and Eddie's, then Jaques, and at the top, Christopher's, the Haunted House, and Junior's. I always enjoyed Hardy's but it was hardly a special occasion place. But boy would I love to have a shore patrol (wilted lettuce) salad. That's the only place in town that served it.
C. T.

ctchandler
10-28-2014, 11:49 AM

Southside,
I ate at the Across the Street that was on Northwest Highway (now Expressway) across the street from Baptist Hospital. And I just posted a comment about Dodson's. My mother held my wedding rehearsal there. I grew up going to the original over on Western, and the rehearsal was at their 59th street location. I think I lived about three blocks from the one on Western. Wasn't it at about 38th and Western?

ctchandler
10-28-2014, 11:59 AM
No, not really, CT. Christopher's was closed by the time I found out what it was, and I never visited Junior's. Been to Haunted House, and while it was a very elegant atmosphere, I wouldn't say it was arbitrarily better than Glen's - besides, I think that's a little apples-to-oranges comparison. HH is/was a destination/theme place. I used to imagine/hope to take a date I really wanted to impress to Glen's, but it was gone before that era of my life arrived :)

Eddy's in its heyday was great, so yes, I'd put it in that Glen's category, What disappointed me about Eddy's was when I took my family there during their "going out of business" era that last couple of weeks, and I should have known better - it was very much reflective of the status of the restaurant (going out and not very good).

I realize all of these preferences are subjective, so if some folks don't like Glen's, c'est la vie. I remember it fondly, and wish we had it back.

SoonerDave,
As I have said, I took my prom date to Glen's, and Jim reminded me of their really good smorgasbord, but I am surprised at your comparison of Glen's and the Haunted House. As you say, subjective, and my late wife and I enjoyed Glen's, but we went there just when we were in the mood for steak, if it was a special occasion it was usually the Haunted House, Jaques' (One anniversary we had steak Diane, and Baked Alaska), or maybe Jamil's. The other's were either not worth the distance, Christopher's and Junior's or like Jamil's and Eddie's so similar we went to Jamil's because it was closer. If we were taking my mother, she liked Eddie's so we did go there once in a while.
C. T.

ctchandler
10-28-2014, 12:26 PM
I miss their chocolate icebox pie.

One of my fondest kid memories from one summer was when, on a lark, my mom took me over to Dodson's and bought a whole chocolate pie, then took it over to my grandmother's house (she lived just a couple miles south of there), and we divvied up the whole thing into three big slices and scarfed it down. We knew how outrageous it was, but we laughed while I gulped down a big glass of cold milk. Wish I could remember how old I was at the time - maybe ten or eleven, not sure - but is a fun, fun memory.

SoonerDave,
My favorite pie as a child was lemon and at a grade school bake sale a friend of mine and I bought a lemon pie. We each ate half of it and I haven't been able to eat lemon pie since. Do you still like chocolate pie?
C. T.

SoonerDave
10-28-2014, 01:10 PM
SoonerDave,
My favorite pie as a child was lemon and at a grade school bake sale a friend of mine and I bought a lemon pie. We each ate half of it and I haven't been able to eat lemon pie since. Do you still like chocolate pie?
C. T.

OMIGOSH yes. Yes yes yes, 1000000x yes :)

It's obviously one of those things that's like four gazillion bajillion gormillion calories, but man, a fresh-made, scratch chocolate icebox pie with real whipped cream and fresh crust is just one of the things that make life special :)

SouthSide
10-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Yes Dodsons was at the Reding Shopping Center .

ctchandler
10-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Yes Dodsons was at the Reding Shopping Center .

Southside,
It seems to me it was in a detached, standalone building to the North of the Reding shops, which makes me a few blocks off when I said "38th". It seems like the original Reding Shopping Center ran from 44th (that's a given, it was on the corner of 44th and Western) and stretched to about halfway between 43rd and 42nd, so Dodson's would have been very near 42nd street. My first real job was at Humpty Dumpty, first as a sack boy, then I worked in the produce department. I grew up playing in all of that vacant pasture from 44th to 36th and West of Douglas from 44th to 41st.
C. T.

SouthSide
10-28-2014, 08:39 PM
CT,

You are correct Redding was at SW 44 & Western. Now that you mention Dodson's was a stand alone location that seems familiar. My memories are mostly of the SW 59 location. The Dodson's book is pretty interesting and makes you realize how a handful of individuals played such a large part in developing SW Okc. The man who developed the Redding Shopping center owned the Humpty Dumpty grocery stores.

ctchandler
10-29-2014, 09:11 AM
CT,

You are correct Redding was at SW 44 & Western. Now that you mention Dodson's was a stand alone location that seems familiar. My memories are mostly of the SW 59 location. The Dodson's book is pretty interesting and makes you realize how a handful of individuals played such a large part in developing SW Okc. The man who developed the Redding Shopping center owned the Humpty Dumpty grocery stores.

SouthSide,
So, was the Reding Humpty Dumpty a franchise or do you mean the owner of the Humpty Dumpty corporation developed the shopping center? I suspect he was the "franchisee". About where did you live, I lived on SW 37th, very near the first Dodson's. I would guess you lived in the Hillcrest area since you are more familiar with the 59th street Dodson's.
C. T.

SouthSide
10-29-2014, 06:33 PM
CT,

The book states he owned the Humpty Dumpty chain of stores and he developed the Redding Shopping Center. His name was Sylvan Goldman. He also invented the shopping cart. I lived on SW 66 by Prairie Queen.

Jim Kyle
10-29-2014, 06:41 PM
I always enjoyed Hardy's but it was hardly a special occasion place. But boy would I love to have a shore patrol (wilted lettuce) salad. That's the only place in town that served it.
C. T.I was introduced to Hardy's by an advance man for Sol Hurok Productions, while riding the Toonerville Trolley between Centralia and Columbia, MO, in the spring of 1951. He told me about it when he discovered that I was from OKC, and said it was the favorite of most show business folk who came through the city.

My wife fixes wilted lettuce from time to time. although it's been years since we had any. Leaf lettuce is a bit difficult to find in the stores, and that's the only kind that comes close to duplicating the Shore Patrol. To wilt it is easy, just fry up a pound of bacon until it's real crisp (almost burned in fact) then pour the hot grease over the lettuce and crumble in the bacon.

Years after the original Hardy's burned, a bowling friend bought up the recipes and goodwill, and re-opened it on SW 29 about half a block west of Western. He re-created the whole experience quite well, but neither the location nor the economy at the time were in his favor and his venture failed.

Is the familial relationship between Jamil's and Eddy's general knowledge? When we were shutting down our abortive venture into the food industry (Kernal Korn's Popcorn Factory, which we owned for just over a year in the mid-80s) I became acquainted with Chris Young, to whom my banker steered me as a possible purchaser of some of my assets. Chris owned and managed Eddy's, and told me that Jamil was his nephew. I toured the kitchen area at Eddy's and it was quite impressive. Chris, though, was more interested in selling things to me, than in buying anything from me. Not long afterward, he shut the place down.

You could have gone for days without reminding me of the chocolate icebox pie at Dodson's. While I didn't eat there often, whenever I did that's the one thing I could never pass by! I really hated to see the Reding area vanish...

Jim Kyle
10-29-2014, 06:46 PM
CT,

The book states he owned the Humpty Dumpty chain of stores and he developed the Redding Shopping Center. His name was Sylvan Goldman. He also invented the shopping cart. I lived on SW 66 by Prairie Queen.He had two sons, Al and Monte, who followed their father into development. When we bought our first house at 2737 SW 60, they were planning a shopping center to rival Redding for the SW corner of 59th and May. They still hadn't started it when we moved to California a year later, though. I don't remember just when they finally got it going!

Mel
10-29-2014, 06:55 PM
They used to have a pretty good coney dog place at the 59th and May shopping center. They also served a killer carrot cake.

SoonerDave
10-29-2014, 08:40 PM
CT,

The book states he owned the Humpty Dumpty chain of stores and he developed the Redding Shopping Center. His name was Sylvan Goldman. He also invented the shopping cart. I lived on SW 66 by Prairie Queen.

Interesting bit of trivia....I know someone who worked with a man whose father worked for Sylvan Goldman. Apparently a jack-of-all trades type, this guy actually cooked up the idea for and constructed that first shopping cart, but since he was Goldman's employee, Goldman received the credit for it. Guess I should insert all the appropriate "allegedlies" in here, but this guy relayed numerous stories about his dad having worked for Goldman and I don't really have any doubt what he relayed was true.

ctchandler
10-29-2014, 10:12 PM
CT,

SouthSide,
That would be the owner of the Humpty Dumpty corporation. That's why I asked. And yes, he invented the shopping cart. I believe he was from Tulsa. Well, you were about 29 blocks South of me, I was three houses East of McKinnley so a little over a block East of Blackwelder.
C. T.

ctchandler
10-29-2014, 10:21 PM
I was introduced to Hardy's by an advance man for Sol Hurok Productions, while riding the Toonerville Trolley between Centralia and Columbia, MO, in the spring of 1951. He told me about it when he discovered that I was from OKC, and said it was the favorite of most show business folk who came through the city.

My wife fixes wilted lettuce from time to time. although it's been years since we had any. Leaf lettuce is a bit difficult to find in the stores, and that's the only kind that comes close to duplicating the Shore Patrol. To wilt it is easy, just fry up a pound of bacon until it's real crisp (almost burned in fact) then pour the hot grease over the lettuce and crumble in the bacon.

Years after the original Hardy's burned, a bowling friend bought up the recipes and goodwill, and re-opened it on SW 29 about half a block west of Western. He re-created the whole experience quite well, but neither the location nor the economy at the time were in his favor and his venture failed.

Is the familial relationship between Jamil's and Eddy's general knowledge? When we were shutting down our abortive venture into the food industry (Kernal Korn's Popcorn Factory, which we owned for just over a year in the mid-80s) I became acquainted with Chris Young, to whom my banker steered me as a possible purchaser of some of my assets. Chris owned and managed Eddy's, and told me that Jamil was his nephew. I toured the kitchen area at Eddy's and it was quite impressive. Chris, though, was more interested in selling things to me, than in buying anything from me. Not long afterward, he shut the place down.

You could have gone for days without reminding me of the chocolate icebox pie at Dodson's. While I didn't eat there often, whenever I did that's the one thing I could never pass by! I really hated to see the Reding area vanish...

Jim,
When did Hardy's burn? We were eating there in the early 70's. My aunt was a waitress there and all of the pictures and autographs on the wall were really fun to look at. I don't remember them on SW 29th. I knew the owners of Jamil's and Eddie's were connected, but I don't remember them being related. It doesn't surprise me though. Do you remember the differences in the hors d'oeuvres? It's not a trick question, Jamil's had thick sliced baloney. Or was it the rib? It was one or the other, Eddie's was short one item.
C. T.

Martin
10-30-2014, 07:58 AM
i don't remember ever getting bologna at eddie's... so that must have been at jamil's. -M

Prunepicker
10-30-2014, 10:03 PM
I voted for Windy City because "Bottom Line Transaction", aka BLT, played there 2 to
3 nights a week and I was the bassist. Good pizza, good music and good money!

Prunepicker
10-30-2014, 10:09 PM
i don't remember ever getting bologna at eddie's... so that must have been at jamil's. -M
I never had bologna at Eddie's but I did have it at Jamil's. Freddie's, in Sapulpa,
also serves smoked bologna.

As far as Lebanese restaurants go I like Freddie's. Jamil's is 2nd and Eddie's is a
distant 3rd. Those are the only 3 I've knowing dined. Don't get me wrong, Eddie's
was very good, just not up to the standards of Freddie's or Jamil's.

I've never eaten at the Jamil's in Tulsa.

Prunepicker
10-30-2014, 10:15 PM
Personally my most missed restaurants are Herman's Seafood, El Charrito and
Shipman's Cafe.

Another was Garland's Smorgasbord on SW 29th. I know they weren't "Haute Cuisine"
but I have some fantastic memories of those eateries. I thought Smorgasbord meant
all you can eat for $1.59.

My favorite missed breakfast cafe is Beverly's.

Prunepicker
10-30-2014, 10:23 PM
Tony's Italian Specialties, on N Penn, was very old school and superb. I once
took Prunette on a date and about had a heart attack when, after the meal, I
found out that he didn't take credit cards. I told Prunette to go to the car and
take the "emergency funds" from the ashtray of my car. I just got by.

Some people mistake Tony's Italian Specialties for Tony's via Roma that was
on NW Expressway. They weren't the same. Two completely different
Italian schools of cooking. I liked TIS.

Urbanized
10-31-2014, 06:41 AM
Ah, good times...

Hey Prunie, by the way - totally unrelated question - what are you driving lately and where do you park these days?

RadicalModerate
10-31-2014, 08:12 AM
Personally my most missed restaurants are Herman's Seafood, El Charrito and
Shipman's Café,

I have to say that your mention of Shipman's (the one on Robinson(?) rather than Reno) jogged fond memories. After some serious thought, I think the restaurant I miss most is Der Dutchman. My tastes were much less experienced when that place was still around, but at the time I thought their gumbo was about as good as gumbo gets. A bowl of gumbo, a side of boiled shrimp and some hush puppies was one of the best--if not healthiest--meals ever.

Jim Kyle
10-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Jim,
When did Hardy's burn? We were eating there in the early 70's. My aunt was a waitress there and all of the pictures and autographs on the wall were really fun to look at. I don't remember them on SW 29th. I knew the owners of Jamil's and Eddie's were connected, but I don't remember them being related. It doesn't surprise me though. Do you remember the differences in the hors d'oeuvres? It's not a trick question, Jamil's had thick sliced baloney. Or was it the rib? It was one or the other, Eddie's was short one item.
C. T.Frankly, I don't remember. It must have been the very late 70s; I didn't take up bowling until the early 70s, and met Andy Anderson at Windsor Lanes' weekend green-stamp sessions. Perhaps I'll dig the date out from the Oklahoman's archives...

Actually I've never been in Jamil's, and only ate at Eddy's a couple of times. Mediterranean cuisine wasn't my favorite in those years. By the early 90s, though, I got introduced to Cello Kabob and learned to love it, especially when sprinkled with sumac...

ctchandler
10-31-2014, 09:57 AM
Frankly, I don't remember. It must have been the very late 70s; I didn't take up bowling until the early 70s, and met Andy Anderson at Windsor Lanes' weekend green-stamp sessions. Perhaps I'll dig the date out from the Oklahoman's archives...

Actually I've never been in Jamil's, and only ate at Eddy's a couple of times. Mediterranean cuisine wasn't my favorite in those years. By the early 90s, though, I got introduced to Cello Kabob and learned to love it, especially when sprinkled with sumac...

Jim,
That's funny because Eddie's and Jamil's offered very few "mediterranean" cuisine entrees, but they did provide Lebanese hors d'oeuvres with every entree'. But, how would you know if you hadn't been there? Somebody from Hertz took my family to Jamil's (a reward for completing a major project, millions of hours of overtime and I get a steak dinner, what a deal) or I might never have eaten there. I loved it, so we went back often. Well, as often as my bank account allowed!
C. T.

Urbanized
10-31-2014, 10:04 AM
For some reason I always preferred the Tulsa Jamil's over the one in OKC. Maybe it was the road trip aspect, though I only ate there when in Tulsa for other reasons.

ljbab728
10-31-2014, 09:45 PM
Frankly, I don't remember. It must have been the very late 70s; I didn't take up bowling until the early 70s, and met Andy Anderson at Windsor Lanes' weekend green-stamp sessions. Perhaps I'll dig the date out from the Oklahoman's archives...

Jim, here is the info about Hardy's from the archives. This is from Sept. 14th, 1976.

Jim Kyle
10-31-2014, 09:56 PM
Thanks for digging that out! I hadn't remembered that Andy owned the place even before the fire...

ctchandler
11-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Hardy's also had an indoor booth in one of the buildings, probably the Made in Oklahoma building. They sold ham sandwiches and they were really good. They were there several years after the restaurant closed.
C. T.

Jim Kyle
11-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Yep, I remember that quite well. It was my favorite part of the fair, back when it was still worth bothering to go to...

ctchandler
11-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Hardy's also had an indoor booth in one of the buildings, probably the Made in Oklahoma building. They sold ham sandwiches and they were really good. They were there several years after the restaurant closed.
C. T.

Oops, I meant to say "an indoor booth at the Fair". At least Jim knew what I was talking about.
C. T.

Prunepicker
11-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Ah, good times...

Hey Prunie, by the way - totally unrelated question - what are you driving lately
and where do you park these days?
I drive a '98 Chevy Suburban. Except for Ingrid's Kitchen and Church I don't
have a usual place. Why?

Prunepicker
11-01-2014, 09:08 PM
I have to say that your mention of Shipman's (the one on Robinson(?) rather than
Reno) jogged fond memories.
Reno is the one we ate at the most.

After some serious thought, I think the restaurant I miss most is Der Dutchman.
My tastes were much less experienced when that place was still around, but at
the time I thought their gumbo was about as good as gumbo gets. A bowl of
gumbo, a side of boiled shrimp and some hush puppies was one of the best--if
not healthiest--meals ever.
The hush puppies were the best. Mom was buying them frozen from some
place in town, grocery(?) and they were fantastic. It might have been Der
Dutchman.

RadicalModerate
11-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Nostalgic Restaurant Consumer Alert:

It was brought to my attention, just today, by a long-term, hard-working, sweetheart employee of the Original Steak and Catfish Barn Relocated (to I-35 and Hefner) as my immediate family and I were lingering in the parking lot, after another wonderful dining experience, that some apparent "scamster" is attempting to reopen the old location at I-35 and Waterloo Road.

Again: Please be advised that the Next to the REAL Thing is at Hefner and I-35.

The Original original Owners of the place at the Waterloo Exit moved to Italy.

The REAL replacement is at Hefner and I-35

Dang . . . Shipmans . . . Der Dutchman . . . Catfish Cabin . . . Split T . . . =)

She did say that they were planning to put up a fancy sign.
To meet the competition.

Don't miss it. With or without "the sign".
(even if the sign doesn't say "Coit's")

Prunepicker
11-02-2014, 08:08 PM
Nostalgic Restaurant Consumer Alert:

It was brought to my attention, just today, by a long-term, hard-working,
sweetheart employee of the Original Steak and Catfish Barn Relocated (to I-35
and Hefner) as my immediate family and I were lingering in the parking lot, after
another wonderful dining experience, that some apparent "scamster" is
attempting to reopen the old location at I-35 and Waterloo Road.

Again: Please be advised that the Next to the REAL Thing is at Hefner and I-35.

The Original original Owners of the place at the Waterloo Exit moved to Italy.

The REAL replacement is at Hefner and I-35

Dang . . . Shipmans . . . Der Dutchman . . . Catfish Cabin . . . Split T . . . =)

She did say that they were planning to put up a fancy sign.
To meet the competition.

Don't miss it. With or without "the sign".
(even if the sign doesn't say "Coit's")
I was with you and CT, let's not forget your far better half and a half, and I
still don't know who's on first or if what's on third.

I wish we had programs with all the players names and numbers.

Tritone
11-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Der Dutchman. Used to be the Zuider Zee. Remember?

Prunepicker
11-02-2014, 08:17 PM
RM,
In the early 70's a friend and I went to the Catfish Cabin in Mid West City or in
that general area.

The first round was a channel cat. It was fantastic. We ordered a second and
received, what we in Oklahoma call, a mudcat. I immediately noticed that the
tail was full and didn't have the "channel" that channel cats have. I told the waitress
and she could not have cared less. I showed her the tail of the previous cat.

That serving was inedible. You could taste the mud, i.e. the dirt of a bottom feeder.

Since then I've been leary of all you can stand Catfish restaurants.

The Steak and Catfish Barn is the real deal.

Prunepicker
11-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Der Dutchman. Used to be the Zuider Zee. Remember?
Yes. From what I remember nothing changed except the name.

soonergeezer
11-06-2014, 11:28 PM

I remember Across the Street, but the one I ate at was on north May just north of Hefner rd.

soonergeezer
11-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Black Eyed Pea was caught on the leading edge of the health-food craze that's basically teaching everyone if it isn't a leafy vegetable its going to kill you. They were very much a traditional Southern offerings restaurant, fried chicken, chicken fried steaks, chops, and while it was good, it was never (for us) quite as good as it always seemed it could be. They did have an excellent codfish and wild rice dinner that I enjoyed frequently.

They tried to reinvent themselves at a corporate level by adding the "Grille" moniker to their name, and many of their restaurants in Texas still have it in some fashion, but they just never hit stride here in OK and their franchise holder, as I recall reading or hearing third hand (at least LOL) just gave it up. The location on SW74th and I-240 was empty for a year or more until Joe's Crab Shack went in, and its just nasty. My wife likes seafood a great deal more than I do, and we went there a few times when they first opened, but as their food quality dropped and greasy/nasty quotient increased, even she gave up on them. Obviously plenty of other folks like them as they're still around, but they're not among our regular visits.

There was a time back in the late 70's early 80's when Steak & Ale aspired to be an upscale dinner/steak house. Quiet, dimly lit, slightly higher-than-average pricing, upscale environment with cloth tablecloths, I remember it being a "big deal" to go there - then, somewhere along the way, they shifted their target somehow and became much more mainstream - and the quality went down with it.

The Black Eyed Pea also had a pretty good individual pot roast. I usually got that or the chicken fry, never great , but always good.

soonergeezer
11-06-2014, 11:41 PM

I always liked Glenn's. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but the Hickry Pit, across the street was decent. I dated a girl that worked at the Pit back in the early 80s.

RadicalModerate
11-07-2014, 07:36 AM
Here is my Number One Missed Restaurant . . . in advance: Sean Cummings Irish Pub. It is (soon to be was) our all-around favorite place to go and it will be closing on November 23. It will be closing--according to the owner, himself--because the guy who owns the strip mall in which it is located "doesn't want a pub in the middle of his [fiefdom]." What a friggin' moron and/or dick. Probably both. He's a multi-tasker.

Prunepicker
11-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Here is my Number One Missed Restaurant . . . in advance: Sean Cummings
Irish Pub. It is (soon to be was) our all-around favorite place to go and it will be
closing on November 23. It will be closing-- according to the owner, himself--
because the guy who owns the strip mall in which it is located "doesn't want a
pub in the middle of his [fiefdom]." What a friggin' moron and/or dick. Probably
both. He's a multi-tasker.
Sorry to hear. You've mentioned how much the two of you like that place
several times.

Prunepicker
11-09-2014, 07:24 PM
I always liked Glenn's. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but the Hickry Pit,
across the street was decent. I dated a girl that worked at the Pit back in the early
80s.
Yes, it was good. Jack Hwang took me there in the late 70's.

TheTravellers
11-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Here is my Number One Missed Restaurant . . . in advance: Sean Cummings Irish Pub. It is (soon to be was) our all-around favorite place to go and it will be closing on November 23. It will be closing--according to the owner, himself--because the guy who owns the strip mall in which it is located "doesn't want a pub in the middle of his [fiefdom]." What a friggin' moron and/or dick. Probably both. He's a multi-tasker.

I had heard he's moving his pub north to the strip mall that Backwoods (and Joey's - yum) is in (NW corner-ish of 122nd/May), and creating a new seafood restaurant in place of the Pub. Not sure how reliable that info is, though...

ctchandler
11-12-2014, 03:29 PM
I had heard he's moving his pub north to the strip mall that Backwoods (and Joey's - yum) is in (NW corner-ish of 122nd/May), and creating a new seafood restaurant in place of the Pub. Not sure how reliable that info is, though...

I don't know where the pub is going to be, but it was in today's paper that he was changing the current Irish pub into a seafood restaurant, similar in some ways to his Boca Boca restaurant, which was an excellent seafood restaurant.
C. T.

Jeepnokc
11-12-2014, 05:46 PM

Seems harsh to call a guy a dick or friggin moron unless you know the guy or more of the back story. (I don't which is why wondering if there is more) Here is article on Red Dirt Sean Cummings shares backstory on closing of Irish Pub, two weeks before opening new Land and Sea | Red Dirt Report (http://www.reddirtreport.com/red-dirt-news/sean-cummings-shares-backstory-closing-irish-pub-two-weeks-opening-new-land-and-sea) Doesn't say if they asked to do something outside in advance or what led up to cease and desist but can't fault a property owner for not signing new lease (doesn't say he cancelled it) with someone that responds to business disagreements by cursing at me. It appeared from today's newspaper story that this is the second time they have lost their lease and that he suspects he maybe better off buying a location.

RadicalModerate
11-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Seems harsh to call a guy a dick or friggin moron unless you know the guy or more of the back story. (I don't which is why wondering if there is more) Here is article on Red Dirt Sean Cummings shares backstory on closing of Irish Pub, two weeks before opening new Land and Sea | Red Dirt Report (http://www.reddirtreport.com/red-dirt-news/sean-cummings-shares-backstory-closing-irish-pub-two-weeks-opening-new-land-and-sea) Doesn't say if they asked to do something outside in advance or what led up to cease and desist but can't fault a property owner for not signing new lease (doesn't say he cancelled it) with someone that responds to business disagreements by cursing at me. It appeared from today's newspaper story that this is the second time they have lost their lease and that he suspects he maybe better off buying a location.

You are, of course, correct: What I said was harsh. (plus I don't really know the guy . . . only his actions here).
So, I apologize for my harshness. I guess it was "the Irish in me" coming out. =)

(i'm only a little Irish, otherwise I might have used those ancient Gaelic expressions Sean used in the Red Dirt interview.)

ps: VZDs might be a good relo for The Pub . . . better than Kush Lounge or The Haunted Building With No Parking that used to house Custino's et. al. . . .

Jeepnokc
11-13-2014, 10:11 AM
You are, of course, correct: What I said was harsh. (plus I don't really know the guy . . . only his actions here).
So, I apologize for my harshness. I guess it was "the Irish in me" coming out. =)

(i'm only a little Irish, otherwise I might have used those ancient Gaelic expressions Sean used in the Red Dirt interview.)

ps: VZDs might be a good relo for The Pub . . . better than Kush Lounge or The Haunted Building With No Parking that used to house Custino's et. al. . . .

I like the idea of relo to VZDs location. Some may be upset to see VZDs lose identity but would be great location for irish pub

Prunepicker
11-16-2014, 09:50 PM
I miss the original Sleepy Hollow, the 70's and before. There wasn't a menu. You
could have a steak or fried chicken. The chicken was about the best I've ever had.

Herman's Seafood isn't on the list. I miss it more than any restaurant.

Der Dutchman, Christopher's and Candlewood are missed, too.

RealJimbo
01-12-2015, 09:35 AM
Actually, Herman's is on the list, howbeit pretty far back. It's funny to go to Toby Keith's and order catfish with Herman's Coleslaw and nobody but me and my wife know what "Herman's" was. This slaw is tart, marinated slaw that Herman's served with every meal back in the day. It is still the slaw my wife makes and is definitely my preferred slaw. Perfect with fish or BBQ, I'll put it up against anyone's. Google the recipe. It's out there.

Herman's, The Patio, Glen's, Shipman's, Kip's, Hyde's Drug Store lunch counter, Hollie's, The Spot, Quik's...there is an abundance of good old eateries that I miss a lot. Wish we could put together a district and resurrect some of them.

Achilleslastand
01-12-2015, 12:07 PM
Actually, Herman's is on the list, howbeit pretty far back. It's funny to go to Toby Keith's and order catfish with Herman's Coleslaw and nobody but me and my wife know what "Herman's" was. This slaw is tart, marinated slaw that Herman's served with every meal back in the day. It is still the slaw my wife makes and is definitely my preferred slaw. Perfect with fish or BBQ, I'll put it up against anyone's. Google the recipe. It's out there.

Herman's, The Patio, Glen's, Shipman's, Kip's, Hyde's Drug Store lunch counter, Hollie's, The Spot, Quik's...there is an abundance of good old eateries that I miss a lot. Wish we could put together a district and resurrect some of them.

Someone else remembers the Hyde Drug store at 50th and Shartel had wonderful root beer floats.

ctchandler
01-12-2015, 04:22 PM

Realjimbo,
The Spot? Are you talking about the place on South Western, around 26th? I believe it's a Mexican restaurant now, but I went there a few times when I was young.
C. T.

BlackmoreRulz
01-14-2015, 04:31 PM

I was telling wifeypoo about this post since she is a huge fan of cole slaw. Funny thing is that we didn't have to google the recipe....it was in today's paper!