View Full Version : Most Missed OKC Restaurant

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Rifleman2C
05-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Last time I was in town, I literally missed Terra Luna... the wife and I were ready for their great menu and wine selections, and were headed up that way. However, we arrived at NW74th and Western to find that they were gone. Now that's disappointing...

I can't remember what we settled for that evening, but seeing as where we don't get into OKC that often, that incident really sucked.

zuluwarrior0760
05-20-2007, 12:36 PM
My wife and I held out hope that Northfork would bring
memories of meals at Applewoods.

The fritters didn't taste quite as fresh to me, although
they were still alright....

Menu's not even close. I miss the Green on Green salad
Applewood's used to serve..

We won't be returning.........

kevinpate
05-20-2007, 06:45 PM
I was a big fan of the Tulsa Molly's. I'm not positive that concept would work today, but if someone gave it a try, I'd certainly be on hand regularly to support the merriment and hijinks, as I never had a bad Molly's experience.

Indeed, Molly's in Tulsa was one of the very few places where the destination was the decision for making the journey rather just being a right fair spot to use as the turn around point.

kevinpate
05-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Any idea what will take the place of Nikz, which itselk took the place of Eagle's Nest? I still miss Eagle's Nest when it had the late night mini buffet.

kmf563
05-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Actually, I spoke with a few of my Molly's friends this weekend, and the name has been copyrighted so...there will not be a Molly's in bricktown. They could open one I suppose under another name, but so far that hasn't worked so well in other cities. Like the Time Machine or whatever it's called in Dallas...that place sucks.

Easy180
05-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Funny I just passed The Time Machine on Tuesday and was explaining it was a Molly Murphy's type of place

Guess since you said it sucks it's good we decided on Humperdink's instead...Whatever road we were on in Addison is a diner's paradise...Had so many restaurants we don't have up here...It was unreal

kmf563
05-24-2007, 10:40 AM
yes, we made the mistake of going there once because we thought it was like molly's. the only thing they have in common are the costumes. they don't get into character there, they just wear costumes and serve you like normal. they frown upon crazy behavior, well because they are just plain fun haters i think. the food is also mediocre and way overpriced. not saying that the food at molly's was any different, but at least you were provided entertainment for the price.

murphystone
05-25-2007, 05:57 PM
I miss the Split-T.
I use to go with a friend for a burger, pool and some Very good cold Beer in Frosty Mug.

There was just something about the feel of the place. The Burgers were so Killer.

Doug Loudenback
05-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Tony's, Tony's Tony's. I would walk in and they'd have my wine waiting without a request. The Family Feast was incredible...it was "our" restaurant. Wow! I miss that place.
That was my vote, too! What a charming "non-commercial" and great food place that was. Put your quarter in and hear Dean Martin, et al, from the jukebox.

My recollection is that several years back (do you remember when?) the family was aging and retired, moving back to Chicago, as I recall. Am I right about that?

Generally, though, what a great thread you started, jbrown! I'm actually researching as we speak about some "gone" restaurants in Okc for some blog posts and, googling, ran across this thread in OkcTalk! I've got several old postcard pics but not many "images" but I need lots more, if anyone has any they'd like to contribute!

Another place I "thought about" going to but never did was the White House near the Cowboy Hall. Anyone have any recollections about that one?

Doug Loudenback
05-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Glen's Hickory Inn/Steak House on NW 10th off May Avenue. . .unblieveable steaks and ohhh. . . the piano bar!!
Yeah, if Glen's had been on the list, I'd have had to pick more than one! What great steaks they charbroiled, cooked just the way you wanted 'em, and with lots of garlic! Mmmmm ...

Another I'd have had a hard time not voting for was Christopher's, a family owned restaurant accessed from Portland toward I-44 ... around 30th? or so? The construction of I-44 pretty much did it in, though. But, with the pond and great food, it was a teriffic place to dine.

Doug Loudenback
05-28-2007, 07:37 AM
You're not talking about Ann's Chicken Fry on 39th just west of Tulsa Ave.? If so this place is still there but it's not Bethany, its Oklahoma City. Bethany ends before MacArthur, then Warr Acres, then OKC starts at about Meridian.
Correct, Metro ... and it's got a nice 50's motif that serves great chicken fried steak (among other things).

foodiefan
05-30-2007, 11:56 AM
. . .The White House. . .during the oil boom I think. . .dropped BIG bucks for excellent steaks and a table side Caesar Salad. It was like dining in someone's house.

Christopher's. . .what a great place. . . great food and a beautiful setting.

sweetdaisy
05-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Guess since you said it sucks it's good we decided on Humperdink's instead...Whatever road we were on in Addison is a diner's paradise...Had so many restaurants we don't have up here...It was unreal

You must have been on Beltline Road in Addison. It's unbelievable all the restaurants to choose from! It's worth a trip to Dallas just for the food. :)

BTW, I second the Split-T. I remember that was a family favorite and had great burgers!

escan
05-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Doug-That's right. Tony (always in the corner with a cigar) moved back to Chicago. Some other guy owned it under that name for awhile, then it closed and reopened as current day Rococo. I'd give my eyeteeth for that stained glass Tony's sign that hung between the rooms OR the incredible juke. Shaddupayaface!

redcup
06-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Was not on the list, but I really miss Triple's that was at Classen and NW 16th!

They had the best fried zucchini and mushroom and swiss cheese hamburger!

Yummmmm!

:sofa:

dismayed
07-09-2007, 09:30 PM
I've heard people mention Molly Murphy's before, but I don't know anything about it. Everyone says it was fun... was the place a theme restaurant or something?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-14-2007, 02:58 AM
I've heard people mention Molly Murphy's before, but I don't know anything about it. Everyone says it was fun... was the place a theme restaurant or something?

Where to start....

The wait staff would walk by, grab your roll, and start a food fight with the neighboring table.

I once had a man dressed like a bee jump right up in the middle of my table...Knocking things everywhere.

My girlfriend got her face pushed into her birthday cake by a caveman.

They made the interior as confusing as possible, and basically hid the bathrooms. If you asked where it was, they'd grab you firmly by the wrist and start leading you all over the joint while ringing a VERY LOUD hand bell and yelling "SOMEBODY HAS TO GO PEE-PEE! WE'RE FORMING A POTTY LINE!"

Yeah...You really had to be in the mood for the place, to say the least.

SoonerDave
07-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Wife and I went to NorthFork the other night - our second visit - and the fritters have gotten smaller, and the hot rolls were terrible. Rest of the meal was good. My mom would have been embarassed to serve yeast rolls as heavy and thick as those things were, certainly nothing of the light, melt-in-your-mouth kind Applewoods used to offer up.

I didn't see My PI pizza on the menu anymore; just a generic "Chicago Style" pizza..

And I still miss Glen's Hik-ry Inn....and my family just the other day was lamenting the loss of Harrigan's....aahhhhh, cheese rolls...that's a recipe I'd love to cabbage onto...

-soonerdave

OkieKAS
07-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Der Dutchman & Casa Bonitas, are two that I miss. We always lived in rural Oklahoma and when we got our class trips we always chose one or the other of them. It would just be cool to be able to go back there. Taking a trip to OKC was always a big deal for us!

teacher girl
08-02-2007, 07:31 PM
looks like a lot of folks miss crystals! If you are really craving it, there is still one in texas, right smack dab between dallas and fort worth (near HEB)

i loved my birthday parties at that crystals that used to be off NW expressway!!

FritterGirl
08-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Does anyone know what happened to Allen's on the NW corner of 6th & Hudson downtown (across from the new Federal building)? Looks like the property is being razed.

I used to meet friends there for lunch every now and again. It probably wasn't for everyone, I'll admit, and definitely put its unique stamp on our local dining culture.

They had great salads and the best patty melts ever.

ad47aw
08-20-2007, 08:00 PM
OK, I'm dating myself, but does anyone remember Herman's Seafood?
It was at 16th and Classen, and they had the best seafood gumbo.

y_h
08-21-2007, 12:21 PM
OK, I'm dating myself, but does anyone remember Herman's Seafood?
It was at 16th and Classen, and they had the best seafood gumbo.

I remember when they were at 63rd and May. That location closed in late 90 or early 91 if I recall.

Pete
08-23-2007, 02:18 PM
I miss the Pizza Planet mini-chain. They had the best crust ever.

Also, My Pi. I tried the North Fork version and it didn't measure up.

And as mentioned, I really miss the Split T. That place had so much history and I loved their burgers.

daromans
05-08-2008, 04:11 PM
I miss Bahama breeze!

drumsncode
05-08-2008, 04:44 PM
This is a tough topic to write about this close to dinner, you guys are killing me here. I miss Glenn's Hickry Inn. I used to go there as a 5 year-old and eat filet mignon. THAT was the good old days.

I miss My Pie, Pizza Planet, and Bit-o-Italy. Someday an autopsy will reveal that my tissue is comprised of 35% pizza crust; I have no doubt. I think I have pizza sauce for blood too.

I also miss Toto's Pizza in Norman. It still may be there, I just haven't been there in 15 years.

John
05-08-2008, 05:18 PM
I also miss Toto's Pizza in Norman. It still may be there, I just haven't been there in 15 years.

Still rockin' & rollin', as far as I know. It's been about a year or a little more since I've eaten there.

drumsncode
05-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Still rockin' & rollin', as far as I know. It's been about a year or a little more since I've eaten there.

Thanks a bunch for letting me know! Sadly, the gasoline to drive there from Edmond would greatly exceed the cost of the pizza. I used to eat there several times a week circa 1974-75, and if I recall, a small cheese pizza was about $3.70.

In all my life, I've never had pizza so distinctively satisfying, and it stayed that way until they remodeled the place a few years later. At that time, it seemed like they changed something in the recipe and it was still good, but not quite the same. They also hiked their prices, no doubt to pay for the remodeling.

I need to find an excuse to go there again sometime; half my life was spent there during college.

PennyQuilts
05-09-2008, 04:19 AM
As a kid I remember eating at Westoaks restaurant at 10th & Rockwell,also Big Eds and Godfathers.

Me too. Loved Big Eds fries.

PennyQuilts
05-09-2008, 04:20 AM
I remember when they were at 63rd and May. That location closed in late 90 or early 91 if I recall.

Dating both of us - I used to go there from time to time.

so1rfan
05-09-2008, 07:15 AM
I loved Pizza Planet as well. I thought their pizza was excellent. I think there was one in Midwest City where the Arby's is now.

Back in the 80's I remember taking my date to dinner at Sullivan's. She would usually be impressed but I honestly can't remember if the place was any good or not.

SoonerQueen
05-10-2008, 11:57 PM
No one has mentioned The Patio Restaurant or that fabulous Patio "K" plate. I loved that place.

breadlady2007
05-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Dick Stubbs (former owner of Applewoods) owns Cattleman's now.

Jesseda
06-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I thought there was going to be a taco tico off sw 44th and council, what happened.. I need my taco tico fix, and driving to shawnee for tacos is to expensive, are we getting a taco tico in the okc? Im not crazy just taco tico craving right now

ddavidson8
06-06-2008, 01:18 PM
I miss them all, I live in Houston. It's near impossible to find good food here, and when you do, you have to drive 20 miles at 4 bucks a gallon, not to mention traffic.

That said, it breaks my heart that Laredo's closed.

tuck
06-06-2008, 02:02 PM
I miss them all, I live in Houston. It's near impossible to find good food here, and when you do, you have to drive 20 miles at 4 bucks a gallon, not to mention traffic.

That said, it breaks my heart that Laredo's closed.

Are you kidding me???? Houston is a top 10 dining destination in the country...keep looking, there is fine food there.

ddavidson8
06-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Are you kidding me???? Houston is a top 10 dining destination in the country...keep looking, there is fine food there.

I'm sure it is, but only if you are looking for upscale dining or weirdo food. I'm talking about meat and potatoes or good Mexican. Even the pizza here sucks. The mexican here is filled with cilantro, stems and all; nobody has hamburgers like Jonnies; the chinese is crap...

If you want a simple dinner, you are going to have a rough time finding anything that compares to home.

sheri5
06-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Does anyone remeber an ice cream place in Casady Square? I do, it was awesome, you got to pick your own toppings and sit at these cool tables. It was one of my favorite childhood memories. It didn't last too long though. BTW I am 35 and so that had to be 20-years ago. It was in a building, that I think used to be a bank or something else, it's not a building that exists today. Also, TCBY, YUMMY!!!

flintysooner
06-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Sprinkles?
Or maybe it was Zippy's or something like that.
Can't remember anymore.

BabyBoomerSooner
06-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Tony's, Tony's Tony's. I would walk in and they'd have my wine waiting without a request. The Family Feast was incredible...it was "our" restaurant. Wow! I miss that place.

Hell, yeah! Tony's Via Roma was the best!

tburn
06-16-2008, 02:43 PM
I haven't done a proper introduction, sorry.
I read the forums here alot and recently found myself wanting to chime in!

I miss Nicholosi's (?) from my youth - it was on 10th street, west side of town.
They had tall red booths so the kids could have a "private" dining experience away from the grownups that just wanted to talk and talk!

also Bahama Breeze. so sorry to discover it closed.
The best Plantain Nachos (Tostones) & Tortilla soup ever!

Kip's Big Boy on Reno

Papa's Little Italy on I-35 was a real treat

Eddy's.

Larry's? Diner on 39th & Ann Arbor (before it became a KFC/A&W)
they had plate warmers and individual jukeboxes at each table.

Cajuns Wharf. @ Reno & Meridian
before it became a country / rodeo bar.

y_h
06-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Hell, yeah! Tony's Via Roma was the best!

With all due respect, I believe you may be confusing similarly named restaurants. The Tony's referred to in the first post was on the east side of N. Penn just north of 23rd (I was partial to the spaghetti aglio e olio, myself). Tony's Via Roma was located on NW Expwy. I recall it being on the north side near MacArthur, with a previous incarnation further east, close to May if I recall.

soonerborn1958
08-03-2008, 04:39 PM
HANS BARBEQUE!! Does anyone hava a recipe for their sauce??:fighting3 :ou :bright_id

soonerborn1958
08-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Great memories of my daddy taling me to the CELLAR restaurant in the Hightower building downtown on my 16th birthday.

metro
08-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Can we take Iguana Lounge off the poll? As we all know, it reopened in downtown about 2 months ago.

metro
08-04-2008, 08:25 AM
tburn, Larry's is the now Taco Bell on NW 39th. There is no A&W on 39th, but there is a KFC just a few blocks east.

Brett
05-29-2011, 07:58 PM
My mom was crushed when she learned that Maggie's Cafe in Bethany closed and the property is up for sale. Maggie's Cafe was a hidden gem. The best and possibly the only Polish cuisine to be found in OKC. Maggie's Cafe had the best cakes that I have ever eaten. It is a sad day for all. I would love to know why Maggie's Cafe closed.

Dustin
05-29-2011, 08:08 PM
I REALLY miss the Harry Bears that used to be in Oklahoma City.. :'(. So sad it went bye bye. At least there is still one in Moore

Larry OKC
05-30-2011, 12:04 AM
There were many in the Poll list that i miss, but Casa Bonita was the one I miss the most. My dining room is decorated in "Mexican Restaurant" with some decor items from Casa, Taco Bueno and a "No Smoking in the Game Room" sign from the Crystals Pizza that was on NW Expressway (all originally owned by the Casa Bonita folks). Have a question that I will post over in the Casa Bonita thread...

metro
05-30-2011, 07:34 AM
I REALLY miss the Harry Bears that used to be in Oklahoma City.. :'(. So sad it went bye bye. At least there is still one in Moore

There is also a knock off one in more, it's like Harry's All American Grill or something like that, but the foods about the same.

metro
05-30-2011, 07:39 AM
I miss the ambiance of Crystals, Shotgun Sams, and Casa Bonita and the Fritters from Applewoods ( about the only thing good there), miss the food at Blue Corn seemed to be the only New Mexican food around here, Terra Luna was great, I miss the hush puppies at Der Dutchmans or Zider Zee's, but you can still find the puppies around town. I also miss the fried peaches from Harry Bears, but as stated, you can still get that, so it's not a total loss. I do wish Nikz wouldn't have been kicked out.

ljbab728
05-30-2011, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=metro;434394]I miss the ambiance of Crystals, Shotgun Sams, and Casa Bonita and the Fritters from Applewoods ( about the only thing good there)/QUOTE]

I always liked the individual size pot roasts at Applewoods.

HOT ROD
05-31-2011, 12:16 AM
2nd that about Nikz. I also miss Steak N Ale!

Applewoods was our 'destination' restaurant, imo.

rcjunkie
05-31-2011, 05:28 AM
Hollie's Drive In @ Western and Sheridian

Plutonic Panda
10-26-2014, 10:22 PM
I don't really remember any of those.

ljbab728
10-26-2014, 11:12 PM
I don't really remember any of those.

That's cause you're a baby, plupan. ;)

Nostalgia for you is last week.

bchris02
10-27-2014, 06:19 AM
I remember Steak and Ale. They were around in Texas as recently as 2008. There was another restaurant called Black Eyed Pea, that used to be here but is now gone. They are still all over Texas.

bchris02
10-27-2014, 06:24 AM
I seem to remember Garcia's of Scottsdale being decent Mexican food. Maybe it wasn't good but as a teenager it was one of my favorite places to go. They had a short run at Penn Square Mall and Quail Springs Mall in the late 90s/early 2000s. The Penn location is now Cantina Laredo and the Quail location is now El Chico.

Urbanized
10-27-2014, 06:36 AM
I'm pretty sure Garcia's was a Val Gene's joint.

Motley
10-27-2014, 09:27 AM
When I was at OU in the early 80s in the summer, we would eat at Sooner's BBQ on S. Western all the time and then go to see the 89'ers. Loved the sides and the all you can eat nightly specials.