View Full Version : BJ's

metro
04-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Went to the OU Red/White game this weekend and it looks like BJ's is nearing completion. The exterior was almost completely done and the interior looked well along. I'm guessing this one will be open before the one on Memorial Rd.

HFK
04-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Passed by yesterday, and saw what appeared at a glance to be a completed exterior. A couple of "now-hiring' signs were visible too.

On another note, after driving in Norman for the last two years or so (only once or twice a week) I've finally concluded that the Robinson/I35 and Main/I35 designs are some of the worst I've ever seen. I don't have the time to go into all of the things that are wrong with the area, but some of the more obvious shortcomings:

1. Southbound I35 to Westbound Main: I've forgotten how many times I've seen idiot morons from hell stopped where the ramp merges with Main, waiting for an opportunity to get across all three lanes so that they can get to Ed Noble southbound, rather than merging and going on down a bit then looping back around. I've never seen an accident there but, based on what I've seen, I'm sure that they're a regular occurrence. The oddity is that, Northbound I35 to Westbound Main traffic is physically blocked from attempting to merge before the Northbound access road (to Walmart and Best Buy). Why on that side but not on the other?

2. The access road on the West side of I35: two-way traffic stops short of Robinson? Who designs crazy stuff like that?

Anyway, it appears that nothing can be done, it's all set in stone, now (or concrete). Those intersections are a perfect example of a failure to properly plan for growth.

BG918
04-22-2007, 02:51 PM
I agree, I would love to see those interchanges updated in the future. Not only from a functional aspect but also aesthetically. More trees and nicer interchanges would make that area look better.

HFK
04-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Dangit...

"Northbound I35 to Westbound Main" should read "Northbound I35 to Eastbound Main"

Thought we had an "edit" feature once... but couldn't find it.

CMSturgeon
04-23-2007, 06:37 AM
What is BJ's?

Easy180
04-23-2007, 07:13 AM
BJ's Brewhouse....Looking forward to it as a micro brew kind a guy

BJ's Restaurants (http://www.bjsrestaurants.com/index.html)

HFK
04-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Is it a chain? If so, does anyone know anything about the quality of food and beer?

Easy180
04-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Looks like they are in 11 states...Cool thing for Oklahoma as we are on the list with Texas, Cali, Hawaii, Florida and Arizona...Nice to be included with some big boy states

They brew their own beers in 4 or 5 states and ship them to the rest

jbrown84
04-24-2007, 02:07 PM
Looks like they are in 11 states...Cool thing for Oklahoma as we are on the list with Texas, Cali, Hawaii, Florida and Arizona...Nice to be included with some big boy states

What, no Omaha?

metro
04-26-2007, 08:19 AM
HFK, yes they are chain as others have mentioned. There is also one at Quail Springs.

soonergirl
05-03-2007, 10:58 PM
We went to one of the sneak-peak training dinners at BJ's in Norman this week. The food was fantastic! We had a deep-dish pizza that was to die for. The inside of the restaurant looked sharp - very open with very high ceilings, interesting fixtures, big TVs over the bar, etc. I think they said they open to the public on May 8.

BG918
05-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Interesting that the windows in the restaurant face away from the always under construction pond next to it. Just an observation I made driving by, I will have to try it sometime this week.

Millie
05-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Has anybody else had a chance to go there yet? I'm going to be in Norman this weekend and was thinking of stopping by. The article in the Gazette seemed positive.

u50254082
05-16-2007, 12:49 AM
Went in last week for Lunch. Fortunately there wasn't a wait, but I have heard from a friend that 6pm-8pm is when you can expect to wait 20-30 minutes to get in. The atmosphere is nice, and the service is about on-par with any other place on Ed Noble pkwy.

We all went in to get beers, so we tried their custom brews and they were surprisingly good. I had the Tatonka Stout, which was a huge mistake because apparently it clocks in at 8.00% ABV and knocked me on my ass for the rest of the day (their other brews score in at at least 4.50%, so don't think you're getting some Bud Light).

As for the food, you quickly realize that their menu is huge. Pages of items to order from sandwiches to pasta to pizza. I've heard nothing but good things about the deep dish pizza, and their bruschetta appetizer is good as well. I personally had the specialty calzone which is filled with artichoke and it was awesome.

Oh I also saw Jason White sitting at the bar. Go figure.

So overall I'd give the place 4/5 stars only because it is somewhat expensive ($4.50 for a pint of beer and most food items seemed maybe $1-$1.50 too high).

ouguy23
05-16-2007, 02:47 AM
I took my parents their and have been their with friends for a going away party and we all love it. Very nice inside and a great atmosphere. I give it a 5/5.

metro
05-16-2007, 07:40 AM
so has anyone tried their famous cookies or whatever they're called??

Millie
05-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Not sure what they're called, but the cookie things are so good. They're served in a pizza pan and they come out warm with ice cream.

MikeLucky
05-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Not sure what they're called, but the cookie things are so good. They're served in a pizza pan and they come out warm with ice cream.

pazookie.... and they are a slice of heaven in a pizza pan......

soonergirl
05-29-2007, 09:40 AM
I agree... the pazookies rock! Mmmm....

CuatrodeMayo
05-29-2007, 09:44 AM
oh...this thread is about a restaurant...

:)

jbrown84
05-29-2007, 10:26 AM
lame

ouguy23
05-29-2007, 07:52 PM
The pazookies are really good! and very funny CuatrodeMayo, it took me a min. to realize what you were talking about but I laughed.

dismayed
05-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Went there this past weekend. The first thing I noticed was the place was nicely decorated and looked like it was made of pricey materials. The interesting ambient lighting made me think of PF Changs. I had a cocktail and it was great, also had their chicken lettuce wraps and thought they were very good.

I understand why the place has been so busy since it opened. As far as chain restaurants go its definitally on the nicer side of things.

oudirtypop
06-03-2007, 08:48 AM
My wife and i went there last week....food was pretty dog on good. i had a bacon cheeseburger and fries. there isnt too many places in norman to just go get a good hamburger. this one, was a dang good hamburger. On the flip side, the service sucked.Everyone i have talked to has said the same thing also. Food is great, service sucked. Doesnt surprise me. Most restaurants in norman the service sucks. BUT chili's used to have pretty bad service and we went there last night and it has done a complete 180. Food was better than before and the service was much better and friendlier.

ouguy23
06-03-2007, 12:17 PM
When I went to BJ's, the service was really good. I think the service at most Norman restaurants is good. Maybe its just you, lol.

SOONER8693
06-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Went to BJ's for lunch today. First time to try it. Service was excellent, food was excellent. Also saw Jason White come in while we were there. I give it a BIG thumbs up.

Turanacus
06-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Why is it that we can't get cool places like this in the Penn Square area, with so many people in the area, affluent people at that, it should be a hot bed for awesome restaurants. I know space is limited but there is a lot of room to grow, it's not as limited as some might think. Respect!

jbrown84
06-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Why is it that we can't get cool places like this in the Penn Square area, with so many people in the area, affluent people at that, it should be a hot bed for awesome restaurants. I know space is limited but there is a lot of room to grow, it's not as limited as some might think. Respect!

Well, in the last year you've gotten Olive Garden, Elephant Bar, Cheesecake Factory, and Pearl's. I think that area is kind of booming for restaurants, so be patient. :)

Turanacus
06-05-2007, 02:35 PM
good point (minus OG) -- i guess i just want a big new modern sports bar-like atmosphere like BJ's

Restaurant idea of the year: TGI Friday's located somewhere downtown within walking distance of Auto Alley and Skirvin, good food - open late - big bar. It would rock!

Jeopardude
06-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Went to BJ's last night.

Pro's

1. Service. Waitress was good and food timely. There was a mistake when they forgot our appetizer, but waitress accepted responsibility. Didn't try to blame "the back" or anything. I respect that.

2. Beer. Real beers were good. Not dynamite. The red and pale ale were too fruity and the porter was too sweet, but OK.

Con's

1. Food. First ordered Fish and Chips. They were out of fish. Then ordered Halibut Fish Tacos and they were out of that too. Made me wonder if they use cod instead of halibut on tacos. I mean they ran out of both at the same time? The salmon was supposed to be blackened but was slightly undercooked. The rice pilaf tasted instant. Veggies were OK. Wife's flatbread pizza was good, but not great.

2. Atmosphere. No one should ever have to listen to DeBarge cranked up. Giant televisions everywhere emitting disorienting colors and radiation (tell me, what is this trend to have humongous TV's everywhere in restaurants?) The revolving door in front really reveals their phiolosphy -- in and out as fast they can move you.

It was a very OK place. There are much better locally owned restaurants with real cooks I'll patronize.

Turanacus
06-06-2007, 10:55 AM
DeBarge, nice call on naming that tune.

venture
06-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Went there last weekend...and umm...here we go...

Food was pretty good. It was cooked right and very tasty. I also really liked the layout in side. Wait time was very short which was nice as well...and I did enjoy the fact it wasn't dark and closed in like some places.

On the flip side...service was pathetic. After sitting down...about 8-10 minutes for a drink order. Another 10-12 minutes ( I was actually trying to keep track for this review) for him the come back and take our order. The service was very disorganized. The most energetic person there was the one who asked to take some of the dishes we were done with away. Now, mind you, that this only happened AFTER we ate the main course. The wait staff never bothered to clear out any dishes used before then - the table was quite full. The only other thing would be the music. Way too loud for some of the ghetto junk they were playing.

If we want to rate on a scale of 1 to 10...this was a 4 or 5. Only reason I would go back would be the food - not the service. It came across as a mix between TGI Fridays and Charlestons. At least I know at those places, the service is probably going to be a bit better.

riley
07-05-2007, 01:43 AM
Can't believe I spent $10 on a glass of wine, but the AVOCADO EGGROLLS appetizer and deep-dish pizza are amazing!! I wouldn't go back for the service, maybe the atmosphere...good thing they have to-go that brings your order out to your car. Trust me on the avocado eggrolls!!!

Turanacus
07-05-2007, 07:49 AM
My wife and i went there last week....food was pretty dog on good. i had a bacon cheeseburger and fries. there isnt too many places in norman to just go get a good hamburger. this one, was a dang good hamburger. On the flip side, the service sucked.Everyone i have talked to has said the same thing also. Food is great, service sucked. Doesnt surprise me. Most restaurants in norman the service sucks. BUT chili's used to have pretty bad service and we went there last night and it has done a complete 180. Food was better than before and the service was much better and friendlier.

do yourself a favor, go to any Al Eschbach restaurant - the service at these joints is so bad every restaurant you go to afterwards will appear to be wonderful.

jbrown84
07-05-2007, 11:29 AM
The one at Quail is getting really close. It's a really cool looking building.

Cornbread
07-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Visited BJ's and was very impressed.
Earl
Home TPRJobs (http://www.tprjobs.com)

Turanacus
07-06-2007, 01:22 PM

I agree with ouguy23, did you say something like "dog on good" to your server? That could have done it.

dismayed
07-08-2007, 10:29 AM
do yourself a favor, go to any Al Eschbach restaurant - the service at these joints is so bad every restaurant you go to afterwards will appear to be wonderful.

Al Eschbach's bars are no more. Bet you couldn't see that one coming?

I agree BJ's has great service. I went there with a group of friends recently and the wait staff was really nice... hung around and tried their best to explain different dishes and drinks and what we might like.

okclee
07-11-2007, 01:33 PM
BJ's is EXCELLENT......... four visits in three weeks for me. I have tried many items on the menu and many of the BJ beers. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu and you must try the Pizookie dessert.

Easy180
07-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Do they have a wheat beer??...If so is it any good?

okclee
07-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Yes they have a wheat beer, that is my favorite too.

Easy180
07-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Yes they have a wheat beer, that is my favorite too.

Figured they would, but ya never know

Didn't want to take the grueling 5 minute drive down there w/o knowing for sure

Appreciate it

okclee
07-11-2007, 02:48 PM
You can also order their beer sampler tray , I think it has all 12 of their beers on a tray in 6-8 oz. glasses. Another thing they sell their beer by the pitcher and you can pour yourself at your table. Very Nice.

Easy180
07-11-2007, 03:04 PM
You can also order their beer sampler tray , I think it has all 12 of their beers on a tray in 6-8 oz. glasses. Another thing they sell their beer by the pitcher and you can pour yourself at your table. Very Nice.

You saying they make 12 different beers??...That is pretty impressive as the local breweries only offer 6 to 8

okclee
07-11-2007, 06:37 PM
I am wrong there are 8 BJ's signature beers on tap. The brewery for the Okla locations is in Texas, so they are not brewed in-house. However they do make their own Root Beer in-house, I have tried it too, like everything else it is good.

Here is the name of their wheat beer.......HARVEST HEFEWEIZEN. mmmmm good.

dismayed
07-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Do they have a wheat beer??...If so is it any good?

Yeah they have one. It tastes kind of like Blvd. or Franziskaner. Not as good, but not bad.

tuck
07-15-2007, 03:04 PM
good point (minus OG) -- i guess i just want a big new modern sports bar-like atmosphere like BJ's

Restaurant idea of the year: TGI Friday's located somewhere downtown within walking distance of Auto Alley and Skirvin, good food - open late - big bar. It would rock!

Did you say "worst idea of the year?" Think independent establishments!!!

MikeLucky
07-18-2007, 03:10 PM
I am wrong there are 8 BJ's signature beers on tap. The brewery for the Okla locations is in Texas, so they are not brewed in-house. However they do make their own Root Beer in-house, I have tried it too, like everything else it is good.

Here is the name of their wheat beer.......HARVEST HEFEWEIZEN. mmmmm good.

they are not brewed in house because OK will not let them brew anything above 3.2......

Easy180
07-18-2007, 03:17 PM
they are not brewed in house because OK will not let them brew anything above 3.2......

Thanks again ABLE Commission

Where would we be without them making these kinds of decisions for us...Thank god we know better than most other states when it comes to keeping 19th century laws on the books

3.2 saves lives!!!!!!!!!

Town Crier
08-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Al Eschbach's bars are no more. Bet you couldn't see that one coming?

Al just moved from Norman to Bricktown. It was a money maker for him and it kept O'Connels on Campus Corner.

Easy180
08-24-2007, 09:27 AM
His Bricktown location has been closed for months now

Stinger
08-24-2007, 03:42 PM
AL's restaurant failed.....twice.