View Full Version : Furrs Cafeteria

Pages : [1] 2

aintaokie
04-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Went to eat a Furrs Cafeteria last night on Shield's Blvd. Our waiter informed us that Furrs is moving to a new location around SW 19th in Moore. Anyone else heard of this?

Legal
04-06-2007, 08:21 PM
This makes sense, they closed the Furr's in Norman recently that area in Moore is really growing and I am sure the people in Norman and SW OKC will welcome a new up to date cafeteria.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
04-06-2007, 08:46 PM
If an employee told you that, you can pretty much bet it will happen. A move to a new location will be a challenge for them because most of that location's customers are elderly who no longer cook for themselves. Some of those people will go to the new location but most will find a new place that is closeby such as IHOP.

On the other hand they are long overdue for a new location. Furr's has been there for at least 25 years. They have remodeled that place so many times that doing it again would be a waste of money. If they run the place right they can gain a new customer base in Moore.

On the other hand it make me wonder about the fate of Shield's Plaza. I think some new things are on the Horizon.

I heard a rumor the Sheild's Home Depot might close because of the I-240/I-35 interchange rebuild. If you look at the path of the houses that are being torn down, you will notice that path would take out part of Home Depot and part of the gas station. If you bring an exit ramp up to Shields your going to need to expand the intersection.

This would explain why Circuit City suddenly closed and moved to I-240 and Penn.

Home Depot may have bought a portion of Sheild's Plaza and plan to build on the site that Furr's and Langston's sets on. Burlinton, Langston's, Payless and Budget Rent-A-Car will be the only businesses left if Furr's leaves.

I am just merely speculating. I have no proof of any of this so I could be wrong.

Top of the Fridge
04-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Furrs is planning to move to Moore, but it won't be a traditional cafeteria. They'll be trying a new concept closer to a Hometown Buffet / Fire Mountain Grill. That's the word on the street anyway.

Legal
04-09-2007, 07:28 PM
My wife's dad lives close to Furr's and he goes over there or Hometown Buffet every day for his lunch I guess he will have a choice of Hometown or Hometown. He is 93 years old and is still driving. I hope he dont decide to drive to Moore.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
04-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Furrs is planning to move to Moore, but it won't be a traditional cafeteria. They'll be trying a new concept closer to a Hometown Buffet / Fire Mountain Grill. That's the word on the street anyway.

I think they would really well if they did a open buffet like their competitors. The food is always good anytime I have been to Furr's. I have been hooked on their meatloaf, green jello and mac & cheese since I was kid.

I remember the days when they had a guy playing a grand piano on Fridays. Everytime I would go see my grandparents for a weekend. We would eat Furr's on Friday and then go shop at Woolco where they would buy me a HotWheel to add to my collection. Good Memories.

jbrown84
04-09-2007, 09:53 PM
The only way they'll survive is if they move to a Hometown Buffet-type format.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
04-09-2007, 10:24 PM
All the Furr's locations are already all you can eat like GC or Hometown. The only difference is they control the serving sizes because they have the old cafeteira layout.

There is only one cafeteria left in OKC which is the Boulevard Cafeteria in midtown by Saint Anthony.

Martin
04-10-2007, 06:05 AM
the shields blvd furrs has been there for more like 35 years, when south shields plaza had a small indoor mall. over the years, the customer base has slowly evaporated, so it's no surprise that they're moving on.

as for home depot, it would surprise me if the interchange affected it. i think the curve is going to be more gradual, thus requiring the removal of the homes and apartment complex... however, i think the interchange will be roughly in the same location as it is now as you proceed as far west as home depot... and as for circuit city, which was on the west side of shields, i'd say that it moved more because of changing demographics and to get farther away from best buy than because of anything else.

as for cafeterias... there's luby's on north may, and i'm sure there are still a few others. i'll agree that cafeterias are a dying breed. -M

Easy180
04-10-2007, 07:28 AM
My wife's dad lives close to Furr's and he goes over there or Hometown Buffet every day for his lunch I guess he will have a choice of Hometown or Hometown. He is 93 years old and is still driving. I hope he dont decide to drive to Moore.

Since I live in Moore I hope he doesn't make the drive either legal :sofa:

pearlbluevtx
04-10-2007, 09:13 AM
I have heard it will be in front of Lowes area - and it's a new concept/building:

Furr's Family Dining - About Us - News & Events (http://www.furrs.net/aboutus_news.cfm)

Went to eat a Furrs Cafeteria last night on Shield's Blvd. Our waiter informed us that Furrs is moving to a new location around SW 19th in Moore. Anyone else heard of this?

Easy180
04-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Sounds good to me...We will take any and all new concept restaurants in Moore even if it's buffet

And in related news....I heard the Applebee's in Moore will be closing as it is underperforming

Not a big loss imo

cindyl57
04-10-2007, 10:11 AM
I have to say that I ate there "Applebees" one time...Food was awful...Service worse...and there was practically no one in there...I mean..Bad service when a restruant is very busy...I can understand...but an almost empty restruarant with NO service...inexcusable....
So never went back...
Cindy

escan
04-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Isn't there a Furr's in French Market Mall on N. May?

Centerback
04-10-2007, 12:15 PM
yes there is a Furr's in French Market Mall, I eat there about once a month, food is still quite good.

Legal
04-12-2007, 06:32 PM
There is also a Furr's on Air Depot in Midwest City. I eat there every couple of months I like it better than the one on Shields.

SoonerDave
04-12-2007, 07:55 PM
And in related news....I heard the Applebee's in Moore will be closing as it is underperforming

That would be disappointing to me; my family has eaten at that location several times and it has always been good. I know that conflicts with some other experiences related here, but I for one would be disappointed to see it go.

-soonerdave

Easy180
04-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Got this from Moore's website

Market Fresh Buffet UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Market Fresh Buffet, a concept owned by the Furr's Corporation, announced they will build a restaurant in Moore. They will be located along Interstate Drive just north of Freddy's Frozen Custard.

soonergirl
04-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Though I hate to see any restaurant or retailer leave the Moore area, that Applebee's was nasty. On our last visit, just as I was discovering a hair in my food, a lady at the table next to us took a big bite of mashed potatoes... then reached into her mouth to pull out the Kleenex that was in the taters! I have never been so grossed out.

Sorry to share that story near lunchtime.

writerranger
04-18-2007, 12:33 PM
I learned yesterday that the Furr's Buffet format is all that is currently being built. I was told there will be no renovations of existing stores, but only newly-built buffet locations. There are also no immediate plans to close the old, "Furr's Cafeteria" locations, but that eventually there will be a full transition.

--------------

CMSturgeon
04-19-2007, 07:38 AM

Oh that is JUST great, more old people driving through that intersection is really what we need here in Moore. Although, Furrs DOES have some awesome mac & cheese.

aintaokie
04-20-2007, 07:03 AM
Oh that is JUST great, more old people driving through that intersection is really what we need here in Moore. Although, Furrs DOES have some awesome mac & cheese.

Furr's and Wallyworld in the same area. Driver's beware... GEEZER ZONE AHEAD:053:

mranderson
04-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Furr's and Wallyworld in the same area. Driver's beware... GEEZER ZONE AHEAD:053:

Wallyworld. Hum. I thought that was a takeoff of Disneyland in the movie "Vacation." I have never been there. Where is it?

JavaDaves
04-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Wallyworld. Hum. I thought that was a takeoff of Disneyland in the movie "Vacation." I have never been there. Where is it?
Wal-Mart

jbrown84
04-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Wallyworld is a nickname for Walmart, andy.

CMSturgeon
04-21-2007, 04:35 PM
I think he was joking.

mranderson
04-21-2007, 04:40 PM
I think he was joking.

If you are referning to my mention of "Vacation," it was sarcasm. I personally do not appreciate people putting down a company that saves people massive amounts of money like Wal-Mart does.

Martin
04-21-2007, 04:46 PM
geico saves people massive amounts of money on car insurance... i guess we can't make fun of them, either. -M

writerranger
04-21-2007, 04:54 PM
I personally do not appreciate people putting down a company that saves people massive amounts of money like Wal-Mart does.

Wal-Mart has good prices on some items. That means they are immune from criticism? Are you aware that the Wall Street Journal recently blasted Wal-Mart for their new draconian employee shift policies? Wal-Mart basically wants all employees "on-call" 24/7. No more fixed schedules in the very near future. Considering that Wal-Mart employees tons of single mothers, the Wall Street Journal pointed out it will be impossible for them to plan daycare schedules. Oh, but they save people a little money. Something is not quite right with this picture. You don't "appreciate" people "putting down" a company because --- they have good prices? When I thought I had heard it all.

-----------------------

JavaDaves
04-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Wal-Mart is cheap. Period.

Millie
04-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Unless things have changed a lot since I was in college, I'm not aware of many retail stores that DO offer fixed schedules.

CMSturgeon
04-21-2007, 07:04 PM
If you are referning to my mention of "Vacation," it was sarcasm. I personally do not appreciate people putting down a company that saves people massive amounts of money like Wal-Mart does.

Hey, I was on your side you know.

aintaokie
04-21-2007, 07:49 PM
I might call Wal-mart, Walllyworld but that doesn't mean I hate it. I don't always agree with some of their practices, yet I see the good they do for small communities and those with limited incomes. I've read a book about Wal-mart's Mr. Sam and how he built the business and I was somewhat impressed with the man. But, a lot of things have changed since the book was written. BTW I was at Wallyworld 3 times today, twice on Friday.:053:

Keith
04-21-2007, 08:21 PM
That's amazing.......the thread was titled "Furrs Cafeteria," and we are talking about Wal-Mart. Let me get this thing back on topic.

Furrs does have good food, but it's one popular place for the old folks (no offense aintaokie..LOL). It's a place that has a big variety of selections for the old geezers that have to have certain types of food in oder for their digestive systems to work. Needless to say, I haven't been to a Furrs in years.

writerranger
04-21-2007, 09:59 PM
That's amazing.......the thread was titled "Furrs Cafeteria," and we are talking about Wal-Mart. Let me get this thing back on topic.

Furrs does have good food, but it's one popular place for the old folks (no offense aintaokie..LOL). It's a place that has a big variety of selections for the old geezers that have to have certain types of food in oder for their digestive systems to work. Needless to say, I haven't been to a Furrs in years.

You mean healthy food as opposed to processed "food" at fast food outlets? I eat there and I'm not an, "old geezer." I find it very hard to find healthy food while eating out - and especially traveling when I'm not familiar with what restaurants are where. I can get a good vegetable plate and home-cooked food at a reasonable price at Furr's. Much healthier than hitting the closest mexican food place where all the "youngsters" are. :)

----------------

JavaDaves
04-22-2007, 09:15 AM
You mean healthy food as opposed to processed "food" at fast food outlets? I eat there and I'm not an, "old geezer." I find it very hard to find healthy food while eating out - and especially traveling when I'm not familiar with what restaurants are where. I can get a good vegetable plate and home-cooked food at a reasonable price at Furr's. Much healthier than hitting the closest mexican food place where all the "youngsters" are. :)

----------------

What exactly is your definition of "processed" food? Food is food. Maybe you should say non-healthy food vs. healthy food.

writerranger
04-22-2007, 12:35 PM
What exactly is your definition of "processed" food? Food is food. Maybe you should say non-healthy food vs. healthy food.

You're right.

-----------------

mranderson
04-22-2007, 12:45 PM

Actually, ALL food is "processed." You have meat that goes through a processing plant, then inspected, milk that goes throgh a processing plant, then pasturized, etc. Those examples are quite healthy.

PUGalicious
04-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Actually, ALL food is "processed." You have meat that goes through a processing plant, then inspected, milk that goes throgh a processing plant, then pasturized, etc. Those examples are quite healthy.
ALL food? Fresh local produce is "processed" how?

CMSturgeon
04-23-2007, 06:42 AM
ALL food? Fresh local produce is "processed" how?

Well..... they....... wash it...........

and stuff.

kevinpate
04-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Eat no vine before its time, or before it's had a bath

jbrown84
04-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Oh, but they save people a little money. Something is not quite right with this picture. You don't "appreciate" people "putting down" a company because --- they have good prices? When I thought I had heard it all.-

Next they will save us even MORE money by enslaving Mexicans. :bright_id

PUGalicious
04-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Next they will save us even MORE money by enslaving Mexicans. :bright_id
Next? It's already happening...

CMSturgeon
04-23-2007, 09:48 PM
My friend's dad, who is mexican, works at Furrs.

jbrown84
04-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Do they pay him?

CMSturgeon
04-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Yup.

selk1
10-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Looks like the new store opened today!
The parking lot was packed

Easy180
10-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Pretty funny that even a Furrs gets a huge opening day

kevinpate
10-04-2007, 06:01 AM
> The parking lot was packed

noticed that last night driving to norman. rather surprised me to see so many folks jonesin' for a buffet. good, bad or fantastic, in the end, it's still one more buffet line.

Intrepid
10-04-2007, 01:07 PM
The official grand opening, according to my ex mother-in-law who works there, is on the 10th.

She also said that on Friday and Saturday and steak and shrimp will be served and on Sat-Sun, breakfast will be served.

Jack Wonder
10-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Mmm, I haven't been to furrs since I was a kid!

flintysooner
10-04-2007, 03:35 PM
I was by there again today going to the post office. The Furr's parking lot was full. The street at the post office was all torn up and had only 1 lane open and it was packed, too. The theater is really coming along nicely.

chrisok
10-06-2007, 07:23 PM
I ate there this afternoon. First of all, props to them for having TV's so I could watch the OU/Texas game. As far as the food is concerned, it was really good. It's no five star restaurant, but for what it is and what it should be compared to (Ryan's, Golden Corral) it's much above average. The only area I found somewhat dissapointing was dessert selection. However, I was so full, I wasn't really interested in dessert.

cindyl57
10-08-2007, 08:18 AM
I drove by there the past few days...OMG...Yesterday, they were parked out on the dirt behind the place...and had the road lined with cars...

I didn't know that Moore was that ready for a place like this...
We will probably try it..
Cindy

MrZ
10-08-2007, 11:25 PM
I saw a plane flying around the south side of OKC pulling a huge banner announcing the opening of the store. Looking forward to trying it out since it is only about 2 miles from me.

Intrepid
10-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Went there for lunch today.

Food was decent, but nothing spectacular. I like the "self-service" concept, but felt that things were too scattered out. Meats should be group together, then veggies, etc.

I was also surprised that there wasn't any roast beef/ham etc. Perhaps those are going to be offered on other days???

From a service standpoint things were very good. You pay, you get seated and then meet your waitress. We were checked on several times by our waitress and she was very friendly.

Overall....I'd give the place a grade of "B".

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-08-2007, 11:41 PM
I saw a plane flying around the south side of OKC pulling a huge banner announcing the opening of the store. Looking forward to trying it out since it is only about 2 miles from me.

My g/f saw this plane and asked me what it said.

Before I could answer, she threw her arms around me and starting crying out "Yes! Yes! Of course I will!".

Not sure what all that was about.

MrZ
10-10-2007, 06:39 AM
My g/f saw this plane and asked me what it said.

Before I could answer, she threw her arms around me and starting crying out "Yes! Yes! Of course I will!".

Not sure what all that was about.

I think she might think you two are engaged now. If she smacks you upside the head one day asking when she gets her ring, you will know for sure.

kevinpate
10-14-2007, 06:04 AM
Been thinking about trying Furr's, but I don't do crowds real well, and I've yet to see the lot not packed. I'm guessing either lots of folks are driving to Moore or the rest of the industry in that community may be seeing a sharp drop in business.

solitude
10-14-2007, 12:37 PM
This is Furrs Cafeteria PLUS. If you like the good cooking (not quite home cooking, but much healthier than most restaurants) you'll love this new Furrs buffet concept. Some people just have a hang-up about going to cafeterias and its reputation for being a place for 'old people' and what not. This should be a big hit. I loved the food and the extras that you don't find at their cafeteria locations. It was quite crowded when we ate there, but the service was excellent. They were obviously prepared for the crowds.