View Full Version : Champion's is CLOSED

dismayed
03-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Went by there last night and was shocked to see that the place was closed down. There was a very long note on the door explaining that the new landlord was a jerk and told the owner's of Champion's that he didn't like their clientèle and that they had to move out.

I'm really surprised to see this, it was mostly west-side folks and college kids that hung out there. I was just wondering if anyone knows more about this?

dismayed
03-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Here's a copy of the note that was on the door.

WE ARE CLOSED:

After 6 GREAT years, Champion’s is forced to close. Despite being a great tenant (who actually paid rent on time every month), the new landlord (this little Iranian fella) Anvar Ghann (who uses an alias of Allan Gann) decided not to renew our lease. He said he did not like our clientele (which consisted of a daily basis of doctors, lawyers, coaches, mayors, athletes, Heisman Trophy winners, horse trainers, teachers, executives, engineers, and the everyday honest, hard-working good Okies). We have tried to do right by folks (giving to every community organization who needed help, charging fair prices and treating our patrons with respect, etc.).

It is a sad day for us. Most of you have our cell phone numbers and you are free to call us. You may also call this little Goober named Anvar at (405) 236-4100 and express your displeasure.

Martin
03-29-2007, 05:36 AM
for the life of me, i can't remember what the place was called before champions moved in... -M

okclee
03-29-2007, 07:30 AM
before Champions it was some kind of California style grill. I don't recall the name.

Martin
03-29-2007, 07:39 AM
yep... that's the place... just can't put a finger on the name. -M

cas
03-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Years ago it was Crispy's. I think it was something else between Crispy's and Champions, but I can't remember what it was.

oudirtypop
03-29-2007, 07:56 AM
no disrespect meant to any good hearted middle easterners, and i know there are many, but i am tired of the iranian folk coming over here with their families money and taking over stuff they dont need to be meddling in. Gas stations were first, now they own the donut industry, then hotels/motels, now a college bar? Are you kidding me? All because he didnt like the clientele...what a bunch of americans spending there money and having a good time...this guy should be carried to be doorstep of norman and booted in the ass and sent on his way.

This is the same crap that recently a topsoil company (ie 65 year old man) had to close down in north eastern norman because home creation owners (also known as iranians) bought the land and didnt want him to use it anymore. over 20 years on that land selling topsoil and making income for his family because he couldnt support himself on social (in)security.

Note to any person that is not american: you're more than welcome in this country, just speak our language in public and dont meddle in business that isn't yours to meddle in. Other than that, enjoy.

Sorry to see such a great place close.

Martin
03-29-2007, 08:02 AM
crispy's... that's what i was trying to think of. thanks!

-M

BFizzy
03-29-2007, 02:21 PM
What else could go in a location that large and be successful? Why would anyone kick out a tenant that always paid on-time? That's a lot rent money lost just for not liking the clientele. It's not like it was strip club. It was basically a two-story Chilis that stayed open until 2.

BailJumper
03-29-2007, 02:31 PM
this guy should be carried to be doorstep of norman and booted in the ass and sent on his way

As long as you're next! What a redneck, ignorant, buffoon you sound like with that statement.

i am tired of the iranian folk coming over here with their families money and taking over stuff they dont need to be meddling in

What does that mean EXACTLY? They don't have a right to come here (like your ancestors) and experience the American Dream? Maybe you are just jealous of seeing "those people" in expensive homes, with their college degrees, owning property and businesses. How dare they!!!!!!

Easy180
03-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Agree about the foreigners statement being uneccessary ou....Many more rich old white landlords doing the same exact thing

Only hearing one side of the story and I'm not buying the whole evil Iranian story...Maybe he has bigger and better plans for that site I don't know....Lease problem situations occur all the time and there are plenty of other spaces available to Champion's in Norman..Especially if they always pay on time like they say they do

BFizzy
03-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Now the very same clientele will just go to Louie's... the other bar in Brookhaven Village. (I assume the landlord owns it as well)

John
03-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Many more rich old white landlords doing the same exact thing

<cough>360* @ Founders Tower<cough>

BailJumper
03-29-2007, 03:11 PM
And yet another example of a business owner proclaiming how successful their business is, yet when they lose their location they don't bother to relocate.

I don't buy it.

BFizzy
03-29-2007, 03:18 PM
And yet another example of a business owner proclaiming how successful their business is, yet when they lose their location they don't bother to relocate.

I don't buy it.

Relocate where? When did the business owner proclaim how successful they were? There are also a lot of costs involved in moving a restaurant/bar.

CMSturgeon
03-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah, sounds like the guy has an idea for a place that will be more profitable. Either that or rebuild it into a different kind of building. Maybe he wanted to charge more rent and Champions didnt want to pay it? Or couldnt afford it? The way the sign described the customers sure made the business sound quite successful. But I guess if you only had 1 of each (could be possible) then you wouldnt be successful. While we're on the topic of closings, does anyone know what Groovy's off of NW Expressway is/was?

BailJumper
03-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Relocate where? When did the business owner proclaim how successful they were? There are also a lot of costs involved in moving a restaurant/bar.

Are you kidding me? Relocate anywhere. It's not like Norman is full up.

Oh, so his boasting about his patrons wasn't to make us feel his business was doing well.

Sure there are costs, never said there weren't any. However, you don't just shut up a profitable business because you lost your lease unless there are other issues or profits were not that great.

Profitable businesses can get loans to relocate.

John
03-29-2007, 03:49 PM
While we're on the topic of closings, does anyone know what Groovy's off of NW Expressway is/was?

Was it not formerly a Harry Bears location?

CMSturgeon
03-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Was it not formerly a Harry Bears location?

I dont know. I drove by it on accident yesterday while exploring this area over here on North May I just started working at. It was on a side street that leads to NWE and looked like a nicer place.

BFizzy
03-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Are you kidding me? Relocate anywhere. It's not like Norman is full up.

Oh, so his boasting about his patrons wasn't to make us feel his business was doing well.

Sure there are costs, never said there weren't any. However, you don't just shut up a profitable business because you lost your lease unless there are other issues or profits were not that great.

Profitable businesses can get loans to relocate.

The owner listed patrons to demonstrate the type of clientele that frequented the restaurant because the Landlord said he didn't like the clientele... not to boast about how well his business was doing. The sign never once mentioned how well business was.

I can't think of a single location on the west side that Champions could move to. That's why I asked "Relocate where?"

Location is one of the most important factors to having a succesful restaurant/bar.

BailJumper
03-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Location is one of the most important factors to having a succesful restaurant/bar.

So is having a plan "B" or better yet, a long lease they can't yank out from under you. Or, even better, own your property. That is how some of Oklahoma's oldest businesses have survived.

Right, right he was bragging about how his upscale patrons didn't spend any money in his bar while making not so indirect stabs at his country of origin.

I say good ridance based on his attitude towards the owner.

BFizzy
03-29-2007, 04:05 PM
So is having a plan "B" or better yet, a long lease they can't yank out from under you. Or, even better, own your property. That is how some of Oklahoma's oldest businesses have survived.

Right, right he was bragging about how his upscale patrons didn't spend any money in his bar while making no so indirect stabs at his country of origin.

I say good ridance based on his attitude towards the owner.

Wow.

CMSturgeon
03-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Good comeback BFizzy! In your Face BailJumper!

mwaha.

BG918
03-29-2007, 04:14 PM
I don't like that attitude either. He could've just stated they were closing but instead had to play the blame game on the owner, even bringing his ethnic background into it. I never liked Champion's anyway so no big deal to me...

ultimatesooner
03-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Yeah, sounds like the guy has an idea for a place that will be more profitable. Either that or rebuild it into a different kind of building. Maybe he wanted to charge more rent and Champions didnt want to pay it? Or couldnt afford it? The way the sign described the customers sure made the business sound quite successful. But I guess if you only had 1 of each (could be possible) then you wouldnt be successful. While we're on the topic of closings, does anyone know what Groovy's off of NW Expressway is/was?

it was a night club if I am thinking of the same place, I went there once and it was a bunch of 30-40 somethings trying to act like they were still in colllege

CMSturgeon
03-29-2007, 04:40 PM
it was a night club if I am thinking of the same place, I went there once and it was a bunch of 30-40 somethings trying to act like they were still in colllege

lol. Yeah some of the windows are broke out on it but I thought it might still be open but just not during the day. It's kinda near Gordmans and all of that.

MikeLucky
03-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Maybe Champions should have concentrated on not being a steaming pile of crap of a restaurant......

I have yet to find anyone that actually liked the food, service, or atmosphere there......

dismayed
03-30-2007, 08:03 PM
It wasn't really a restaurant, it was more of a neighborhood pub.

bluedogok
07-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Groovy's was a Harry Bears until about 1995 or so. It was something else in between HB and Groovy's but I can't remember what the name was.

I always felt Champions was a half hearted attempt at a sports bar, the food was average, service was poor.. We went there several times after night games because we knew it was open. It seemed like it could have been much more than what it was. Some of the clientèle (Heisman winner/insurance and engineers) that he was referring to actually office in the same complex.