View Full Version : Frontier City

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

shavethewhales
08-29-2019, 12:13 PM
Meh, this really isn't a huge investment. It's just a change of signage and a new slide that should have been added years ago. I'm glad WWB is getting some attention finally, but it's not like they are really opening their wallets or anything here. They are barely keeping these parks at the minimum level needed to stay alive.

Most of the fans are pretty upset that FC isn't getting anything. The park's rides are so old and tired and were never amazing to being with. There were some issues with rides barely running this year. The new ride from a couple years ago, Gunslinger, has hardly ever worked.

The new kids area from last year was a great start, and I was hoping it was the start of a major revitalization of the park. That could still be on the way, but at this rate it will take years before they get enough of the park refurbished for people to really notice. I feel like we've already been waiting ages to see this park fulfill its potential.

Kemotblue
09-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Meh, this really isn't a huge investment. It's just a change of signage and a new slide that should have been added years ago. I'm glad WWB is getting some attention finally, but it's not like they are really opening their wallets or anything here. They are barely keeping these parks at the minimum level needed to stay alive.

Most of the fans are pretty upset that FC isn't getting anything. The park's rides are so old and tired and were never amazing to being with. There were some issues with rides barely running this year. The new ride from a couple years ago, Gunslinger, has hardly ever worked.

The new kids area from last year was a great start, and I was hoping it was the start of a major revitalization of the park. That could still be on the way, but at this rate it will take years before they get enough of the park refurbished for people to really notice. I feel like we've already been waiting ages to see this park fulfill its potential.

I spoke with management Hurricane Harbor Oklahoma City is getting significant upgrades. They had many done last season. The same with Frontier City beside Timbertown they worked on and have been working on the parks infrastructure. They have some projects for next season for Frontier CIty. To set them up for a significant Capitol investment in the near future. Management in the past before EPR and Six Flags and Premier it did just enough to keep the parks existing. The park has improved over the past 6 seasons. They have been pretty good at adding attractions in that time frame. I learned they have an extensive plan that we will have to be patient with them. The re-branding of White Water Bay is huge and a step in the right direction. So we will see what happens but I feel this time around Six Flags and EPR are giving this park the much needed attention that is needed to pro long the life of this park.

scottk
01-04-2020, 06:50 PM
Tomorrow (January 5) is the final day of the 2019 season for Frontier City as they wrap up "Holiday in the Park"

Our family stopped by their today and it was fairly busy for what you would expect for a post-holiday Saturday. The weather (sunny and 50's with little wind) probably helped bring more people out. The park seems to still be in good shape at the end of the operating year. All large rides were up and running and most of the park activities and dining options were open. The west/back side of the park was shut off for maintenance. I noticed large equipment taking apart of the Sidewinder ride next to Gunslinger. Not sure if this was just regular upkeep and all the parts will be painted in the off season or if they are removing the entire ride for something new.

Kemotblue
01-06-2020, 09:28 PM
Tomorrow (January 5) is the final day of the 2019 season for Frontier City as they wrap up "Holiday in the Park"

Our family stopped by their today and it was fairly busy for what you would expect for a post-holiday Saturday. The weather (sunny and 50's with little wind) probably helped bring more people out. The park seems to still be in good shape at the end of the operating year. All large rides were up and running and most of the park activities and dining options were open. The west/back side of the park was shut off for maintenance. I noticed large equipment taking apart of the Sidewinder ride next to Gunslinger. Not sure if this was just regular upkeep and all the parts will be painted in the off season or if they are removing the entire ride for something new.

Sidewinder was getting it yearly Maintenance started they take it apart and thoroughly rebuild the ride to get it ready for the next season. If their is paint needed it will get painted. I heard they are going to upgrade the light package on the ride. Yes I was at the park they are starting the off season work at the back of the park. Renegade Rapids is getting a lot of upgrades to that ride. One is all new scenery. The go-Karts a old storage barn was recently rebuilt into a maintenance facility. It has new doors a new roof all new electrical and a new concrete floor. The park is investing Millions of dollars in upgrading the rides and infastructure. The past couple of months it has been very noticeable around the park.

Kemotblue
01-06-2020, 09:37 PM
Frontier City cleaned out their boneyard and are doing extensive work all over the park. Six Flags and EPR are investing so much money into the park. They are doing this so the park can have a larger attraction. Yes that attraction will be a roller coaster. There is plans to expand the park by 70 acres within the next couple of years. They are focused on growing the attendance numbers. With the value of a Six Flags membership or season Pass being able to use at all Six Flag parks for food and parking. I don't see a problem with them growing attendance at this park. They will be open 11 months of the year starting this year. They have extended their operating season by recently adding Holiday in the Park and this year the park will open during Spring Break. They have invested a lot of money into the park infrastructure and The amount of work they put in so far in the past couple of months it looks like Six Flags wants to make Frontier City their Knott's Berry Farm of the chain.

bchris02
01-07-2020, 03:49 PM
Frontier City cleaned out their boneyard and are doing extensive work all over the park. Six Flags and EPR are investing so much money into the park. They are doing this so the park can have a larger attraction. Yes that attraction will be a roller coaster. There is plans to expand the park by 70 acres within the next couple of years. They are focused on growing the attendance numbers. With the value of a Six Flags membership or season Pass being able to use at all Six Flag parks for food and parking. I don't see a problem with them growing attendance at this park. They will be open 11 months of the year starting this year. They have extended their operating season by recently adding Holiday in the Park and this year the park will open during Spring Break. They have invested a lot of money into the park infrastructure and The amount of work they put in so far in the past couple of months it looks like Six Flags wants to make Frontier City their Knott's Berry Farm of the chain.

This is good to hear. Frontier City has so much potential that has been left just rotting away for so long now, even as the park's owners have changed. Hopefully this comes to fruition because the park could be so much better than it has been.

Zorba
01-07-2020, 09:58 PM
I went to Frontier City about 20 times this year with my 3 yo and also went to WWB a few times. Overall I am happy with the changes Six Flags has made. The park definitely felt like it was in better condition. I also took advantage of being in the Six Flag network and went to Over Texas and Fiesta Texas this year as well. But there were still some major annoyances that they really need to get under control.

The first being they just straight up leave rides closed all the time with nothing posted. The log ride was closed at least 80% of the times I was there. The tornado and tilt-a-whirl were closed about half the time. The pirate ship has been closed since September. The train will be closed random days, etc. I went on the first and more than half the park was closed. Based on the other two six flags I went to this year, this seems common for them (it'd be less annoying if they actually posted what was closed at the front of the park). This park doesn't have enough rides to have 20% of them closed on any given night.

Second, one of the new kiddie rides (The little ferris wheel) never opened this year. The new frog hopper is fun, but the average ride time is about 20-30 seconds. Really annoying when half of the new rides either don't work or they don't actually run it for long.

Third, the turn times on rides is still just unreasonably slow, although it is much better than last year.

I am really hoping Six Flags keeps making improvements. Frontier City has a lot of potential, but is really hurt by the fact almost every ride there is one of the worst and/or lowest capacity examples of its ride type and the employees seem to lack training. If they improved the training and got turn times down that would help some, but the most important thing is making sure anything new is a higher end version of the type.

shavethewhales
01-08-2020, 06:42 AM

I hope this is at least partially true. It seems like we have been talking about the great strides FC has made in cleaning itself up for ages now, but new rides have been extremely sparse. Most of the "new" rides in recent years have actually been old rides moved here from other parks. As Zorba said, the old rides have fallen so far behind in terms of capacity and ride experience that the park feels like a poor attempt at what an amusement park should be even with all the nice new building upgrades and infrastructure. They simply need new rides at this point and not much else matters.

I went to FC once this year, and also Six Flags over Georgia (Atlanta), Six Flags Great America (Chicago), Disney World, Seaworld, and both of the little Fun Spot amusement parks in the Orlando area. Disney and Seaworld are in leagues of their own of course, but the difference between a typical Six Flags and our little fun fair of a park is staggering. Even the little Fun Spot parks felt more enjoyable because they had better coasters and rides that were more fun to re-ride over and over again. You do everything once or twice at FC and you're good for a year at least.

As for some of the rides being closed off and on, perhaps the park is experiencing staffing issues? I know that has been a problem at a lot of parks this year with the tight labor market.

bombermwc
01-08-2020, 06:45 AM
I went to Over Texas and Frontier City for the Holiday events this year. A few takeaways from me:

Over Texas is in bad shape. It's rough looking all around. The first thing you see in the parking lots are signs so faded, you can't even tell where you're parked. I think they put those in back in 1990 and never looked back. Go in the park and you see a real lack of maintenance with the physical structures. Rotting wood, peeling paint, dead landscaping (and not because it's December). The kids rides were some of the worst in terms of their maintenance. The paint was faded and peeling and full of broken lights. They have some of the same kid rides in Frontier City, and the FC rides are in excellent physical condition. The food was terrible too. There are plenty of theme parks out there that charge an arm and a leg for food, but look at Silver Dollar City (just as close as Over Texas) and the food there is interesting and tasty. If i'm going to pay $13 for a hamburger and fries, you'd think they'd at least put some salt on them. Instead, it was a totally bland frozen patty with no flavor and some awful fries. Then we sat on tables that felt like they were going to fall apart and all of the tables around me bad broken umbrellas. It was December, so no big deal, but come July.....gonna want that shade. It was just an overall bad experience. What Over Texas has going for it is the number of roller coasters and size. That's about it....

Went to FC a week later and as soon as you walk in the door, it's a whole other level of put-togetherness. FC has been maintained well. You can tell, as Zorba said, they put some money into rehabbing the kids area and its very nice. Some of the same kid rides as in Over Texas, but these are in good shape. Similarly, there were rides closed when we were there. Some were because of wind and the staff said so, but some were closed with no sign or anything. Seems like rather than have a person stand there saying "this ride is closed", have them go run another ride that isn't affected by wind. Maybe they don't have the training to do that? My guess was they didn't have sufficient staff to run the December events or they weren't trained in the rides they were needed for. That should be easy enough for them to fix. FC is obviously a LOT smaller and there were a whole lot fewer people at FC than Over Texas so we were able to get just as much ride/play time in at FC in only a few hours, than we got at Over Texas because of the ride waits. We're Season Pass holders this year, so i don't feel bad about going for a bit and coming back. Between these two day trips, they've already paid for themselves too. And White Water will definitely get use in the summer.

Now WWB, they need to focus some attention there in terms of the physical maintenance as well, but i think I remember seeing something about doing that as they change to Hurrican Harbor? In Texas, HH is NOT part of the season pass, so i hope they don't try to pull that crap in OKC. Neither park here is large enough to attract season passers in enough quantity without the other....hopefully they know that from the past. And to be frank, parks have a LOT more to compete with for people's entertainment time these days. They have to up their game to get us there.

G.Walker
01-13-2020, 05:34 AM
Its seems to me the OKC metro area can support a larger water park. White Water Bay was built almost 40 years ago, metro population has double since then. Most water slides are old and outdated. It would make sense for them disassemble the rides, sell the property, and buy new property and start new. It would be a hit.

bucktalk
01-13-2020, 06:42 PM
Location, location, location. A new White Water Bay should be built near Frontier City or close to OKC Zoo. Somewhere near those areas would be a gold mine.

Its seems to me the OKC metro area can support a larger water park. White Water Bay was built almost 40 years ago, metro population has double since then. Most water slides are old and outdated. It would make sense for them disassemble the rides, sell the property, and buy new property and start new. It would be a hit.

Zorba
01-13-2020, 10:06 PM

Yeah. My biggest issue with WWB is the size. It gets packed out quick and they don't have room to expand. I think someone should really build a new park along I-35 in Edmond. I think there metro could easily support two. Moving WWB could work too.

I'm not sure if it was just broke last year or if I misremembered from the past, but the wave pool is a joke too.

elitespy
05-18-2020, 03:25 PM
Adding a roof to the Diamondback station which is cool, that thing gets hot during the summer.

Also heard they were clearing trees back by Wildcat, wonder if that means a new attraction next year.

Jesseda
02-26-2021, 10:31 AM
Hey everyone, there is Rumor going around in the Theme park industry that herschend family entertainment who owns Silver Dollar City, dollywood and they are new owners of Kentucky Kingdom is in talks with possibly purchasing Frontier City. I hope this is true, also I got a question. I know frontier City owns the Property West of Coltrane Road and the property north of the current parking lot. Does anyone know exactly how much land they own, maybe a map of their property? Would be interesting to see how much they could possibly expand.

Southsider2
02-26-2021, 10:38 AM
Hey everyone, there is Rumor going around in the Theme park industry that herschend family entertainment who owns Silver Dollar City, dollywood and they are new owners of Kentucky Kingdom is in talks with possibly purchasing Frontier City. I hope this is true, also I got a question. I know frontier City owns the Property West of Coltrane Road and the property north of the current parking lot. Does anyone know exactly how much land they own, maybe a map of their property? Would be interesting to see how much they could possibly expand.

That would be great news. Six Flags is the worst. Anyways, here's a rough sketch of what ERP owns.

Jesseda
02-26-2021, 10:58 AM

That would be great news. Six Flags is the worst. Anyways, here's a rough sketch of what ERP owns.

oh wow the land on the west side of coltrane could more than double the parks size if they use it. a lot of possibilities with that much land they own undeveloped

shawnw
02-26-2021, 11:50 AM
So they would buy it from Six Flags or they would buy Six Flags?

Jesseda
02-26-2021, 12:00 PM
So they would buy it from Six Flags or they would buy Six Flags?

frontier city is not owned by sixflags. Sixflags only manages it and only has the lease rights. I believe the park is owned by a company called EPR Properties

shawnw
02-26-2021, 12:47 PM
OH, didn't realize that distinction

Would they continue to manage it?

Jesseda
02-26-2021, 01:01 PM
OH, didn't realize that distinction

Would they continue to manage it?

I would doubt it and hope not. I rather The Herschend Company fixes it up and gives it a real Western them. I love the two parks Herschend company owns ( Silver Dollar City and Dollywood). They just finished up and announced this week of purchasing Kentucky Kingdom theme park. Hopefully rumor is true and if Herschend Company does purchases Frontier City from ERP that Herschend owns and manages the park so maybe then Frontier city can get the much needed TLC it is needing plus some new high end thrill rides and possibly expand .

Plutonic Panda
02-26-2021, 01:04 PM
I thought that Frontier City was undergoing a nice renovation with rumors of an expansion? Has the new ownership and management not been good?

Jesseda
02-26-2021, 01:08 PM
there hasnt been anything good in years. The only thing they have added to the park is carnival style flat rides.

jn1780
02-26-2021, 03:08 PM
Frontier city and now Hurricane harbor has been better the past couple of years but obviously were not seeing major investments like Silver Dollar City and Dollywood sees. There is no guarantee the same owners would make that same kind of investment if true. Rumors may be driven by them looming for good deals in the market as everyone recovers from lockdowns and low attendance

Southsider2
02-26-2021, 03:54 PM

http://www.screamscape.com/html/kentucky_kingdom.htm

Per Screamscape, the rumors stem from a deleted social media teaser post from the Kentucky Kingdom Twitter. The post showed a map of multiple Herschend parks. Each park is accounted for besides one. It shows their smaller parks, Dollywood, Silver Dollar City, and the Kentucky Kingdom. The last dot appears to be near Oklahoma/Frontier City.

onthestrip
02-27-2021, 09:00 AM
When you think of it, Frontier City's potential does seem much higher than it is. A couple new rides and/or attractions would go a long way, maybe something geared towards adults and not just kids. Theres not a decent amusement park within 3.5hours of OKC, would be great to see new ownership or at least investment.

SEMIweather
02-28-2021, 04:34 AM
When you think of it, Frontier City's potential does seem much higher than it is. A couple new rides and/or attractions would go a long way, maybe something geared towards adults and not just kids. Theres not a decent amusement park within 3.5hours of OKC, would be great to see new ownership or at least investment.

I feel the same way about putting a decent water park somewhere in the Metro. I think that a new build in Edmond, Yukon, or Moore would do really well.

oklip955
02-28-2021, 05:50 AM
I was think as I was driving by the other day, if an indoor water park with other amusements attached to a hotel with nice dinning would go over well. Something that would attract visitors during the colder months and would allow for folks in other parts of the state to come and stay for the weekend. Maybe a come a play, shop and dine in the city package. Also it would pull from the highway if advertised. Travelers along the I 35/I-44 or even I-40 interstates could stop for the night and have some fun time with the family.

scottk
02-28-2021, 07:43 AM
Theres not a decent amusement park within 3.5hours of OKC, would be great to see new ownership or at least investment.

I think one of the factors in Frontier City's continued success is that we are 3.5 hours from Six Flags Over Texas. Oklahoma families can purchase a Frontier City Season Pass, supporting the park locally, and get all of the Six Flags benefits with admission, food, parking etc. We have friends that visit Arlington a few times during the year and use their FC passes for this very reason.

The Six Flags name I think helps market Frontier City, but outside of OKC, Tulsa, and maybe Wichita, the market for potential customers stops. Anyone outside of that would be a closer drive to Worlds of Fun, Six Flags, or Silver Dollar City. Houston lost Astroworld, so I am thrilled that FC has been able to hang on.

If Herschend was to operate the park, I guess Silver Dollar City could be included within a local season pass?

I do agree that the park needs some general updates. One of the benefits of operating an "Old West" theme park, as things age, it's all part of the theme. :p

We went multiple times in 2019 and 2020 before Covid with our season passes. We also had the dining pass. We never expected big thrills, but the park was clean, most rides open, and employees were friendly.

scottk
02-28-2021, 07:52 AM
I was think as I was driving by the other day, if an indoor water park with other amusements attached to a hotel with nice dinning would go over well. Something that would attract visitors during the colder months and would allow for folks in other parts of the state to come and stay for the weekend. Maybe a come a play, shop and dine in the city package. Also it would pull from the highway if advertised. Travelers along the I 35/I-44 or even I-40 interstates could stop for the night and have some fun time with the family.

Clinton has the indoor waterpark and a newer Holiday Inn Express attached. I wonder how many families stop unplanned at the location while driving along I-40, without initially knowing about it? In the age of online bookings of hotels, Google Maps, etc, how many families travel without a set destination already in mind?

On a similar note, with Frontier City being visually appealing from I-35, I wonder how many sporadic visitors they get?

SEMIweather
02-28-2021, 08:21 AM
My thing with Frontier City and Hurricane Harbor is that neither of them actually look visually appealing, they both just look like rundown parks right off of the highway.

shavethewhales
02-28-2021, 08:55 PM
Frontier City is certainly not run down. They have been cleaning it up for the last decade. I don't think there's a single building or ride in the park that hasn't been renovated over the past few years. They've done all kinds of nitty-gritty TLC such as new windows/HVAC systems/paint/new controls, etc. At this point it's a whole new park with all the same old rides.

The big problem with FC is exactly that though: the same old rides. There have been a few ride replacements over the years, but not much expansion outside the mini-water park, and nothing really headlining and exciting. The biggest thrill ride addition has barely operated and is basically a lawn ornament.

The park simply needs a new coaster. Before covid hit, I thought they would announce one last year...

I don't buy the rumor of HFEC buying the park. I am sure they have made an offer recently, and I know they've made offers in the past, but I think EPR sells it to Six Flags eventually because they will pay more for it and already have their foot in the door with investments and contracts.

oklip955
03-01-2021, 06:59 AM
Clinton has the indoor waterpark and a newer Holiday Inn Express attached. I wonder how many families stop unplanned at the location while driving along I-40, without initially knowing about it? In the age of online bookings of hotels, Google Maps, etc, how many families travel without a set destination already in mind?

On a similar note, with Frontier City being visually appealing from I-35, I wonder how many sporadic visitors they get?

That is what I was thinking, publicize it, offer vacation or overnight stays for say 2 night/1 day stays. Offer some other things to attract those on the road, premium food offerings at a good price, Think of the big Tex over by Amarillo, Maybe a way could be made to introduce a bit of a casino by teaming up with the tribe that operates the one at Remington Park. Might also be a nice place for people in outlaying areas of Oklahoma to have a fun family weekend.

Dob Hooligan
03-01-2021, 08:34 AM
That is what I was thinking, publicize it, offer vacation or overnight stays for say 2 night/1 day stays. Offer some other things to attract those on the road, premium food offerings at a good price, Think of the big Tex over by Amarillo, Maybe a way could be made to introduce a bit of a casino by teaming up with the tribe that operates the one at Remington Park. Might also be a nice place for people in outlaying areas of Oklahoma to have a fun family weekend.

Casino is not possible.

HOT ROD
03-02-2021, 12:44 PM
the thing is, name me one park that doesn't have "the same ole rides". We think it's the different because FC is a small footprint which can be completed in less than a day's visit.

I think what FC needs is MORE rides, MORE things to do, MORE and larger footprint - then make it impossible to do everything in one day. THEN we can have a World's of Fun type of park that "doesn't have the same ole rides".

shavethewhales
03-02-2021, 02:30 PM
the thing is, name me one park that doesn't have "the same ole rides". We think it's the different because FC is a small footprint which can be completed in less than a day's visit.

I think what FC needs is MORE rides, MORE things to do, MORE and larger footprint - then make it impossible to do everything in one day. THEN we can have a World's of Fun type of park that "doesn't have the same ole rides".

Most parks add or change rides just about every year. Six Flags over Texas has added a number of large rides in recent years, such as Harley Quinn Spinsanity, The Joker coaster, the giant texas skyscreamer, etc. Silver Dollar City added a massive coaster a couple years ago and a massive water ride last year. World's of Fun has had much less impressive additions, but they have still added a few rides recently as well as fixing up their park and adding a big new restaurant.

I think it's actually astounding how little has changed at FC other than basic maintenance in the last 20 years. Other than switching out the kiddie coaster due to it's age, the park's most recent coaster was built in 2008, and before that you have to go back to 1993. That is odd, especially for the only park in OK! https://rcdb.com/4559.htm It's not like the coasters at FC are so outstanding and beloved that they are worth keeping forever, they are just too cheap to upgrade! (Although coaster enthusiasts do appreciate Silver Bullet and Diamondback for being relics of their time).

Aside from coasters, the park has only made a few switch-outs in rides. The drop tower was replaced with a cheap set of Larson flyers that was originally going to a zoo before they canceled their order (that's why it has pictures of parrots on it :tongue:), the mindbender was replaced with the brain drain super-loop ride, the dark ride was renovated to a different (IMO, worse) dark ride, and the awesome Round-up was replaced by the hangman, which as I mentioned earlier is really just a lawn ornament. Even Steel Lasso, the 2008 coaster, was a replacement for two rides that it took the space of! Finally, let's not forget the impressive slingshot tower that operated for a few years and was then taken down and replaced with absolutely nothing. Am I forgetting any?

But to be fair, they did add a small water park. Which was kind of an odd choice considering they have an a full size water park down the road, but it is a popular attraction.

Plutonic Panda
07-29-2021, 05:38 PM
https://www.kiiitv.com/mobile/article/life/six-flags-fiesta-texas-unveils-plans-for-worlds-steepest-dive-roller-coaster/273-b19e0009-2c3b-4c71-9075-427a6381b891?fbclid=IwAR2Jkisk06h4QqQKCFVcwgLuxlRh sxkt3YdyfJLmSBLmNhLuKmtnaeXyu_g

It’d be nice if FC could get some new large rides and roller coasters instead of banning people who carry water to stranded guest on decades old rides.

soonerj2015
07-30-2021, 08:34 AM
https://www.kiiitv.com/mobile/article/life/six-flags-fiesta-texas-unveils-plans-for-worlds-steepest-dive-roller-coaster/273-b19e0009-2c3b-4c71-9075-427a6381b891?fbclid=IwAR2Jkisk06h4QqQKCFVcwgLuxlRh sxkt3YdyfJLmSBLmNhLuKmtnaeXyu_g

It’d be nice if FC could get some new large rides and roller coasters instead of banning people who carry water to stranded guest on decades old rides.

He jumped the fence and climbed the lift hill of a roller coaster. Everyone knows that is restricted and will get you banned if not arrested

shavethewhales
07-30-2021, 09:22 AM
^Yes, that is true. However, the sentiment of FC being in desperate need of new rides is well deserved. Looking back over this thread I can see we've been rehashing this discussion for years now, and what I said back in early March still holds true.

The new coaster at SFFT was a surprise to enthusiasts. Six Flags has been cost cutting aggressively, especially in light of the pandemic fall out and how it ravished their business. Frontier City actually lost a classic ride (the rotor ride called Tumbleweed), and may lose even more since so many FC rides are old, costly to maintain, and not very attractive on their own.

SFFT is a real example of how to successfully grow a park. The park GM is so passionate and engages with the coaster enthusiast community constantly. He really loves what he does and it shows in the park. SFFT has all kinds of cool events such as the cliffside laser and firework show, and they have made many improvements such as a new indoor queue line and theming for one of their older roller coasters. Details matter, and they really add up in the theme park experience. Not to mention they have added several major rides in recent years even before this new roller coaster. The new coaster itself actually isn't huge or all that much to write home about, but anything made by B&M is nice, and the added angle to the drop could add some thrill to what is actually a pretty lackluster coaster style.

I don't know when FC's ship will finally come in, but there's no indication that it will be anytime soon. Heck, even SFOT in Dallas is languishing. Their new ride for 2020 won't open until 2022, but at least it's a big cool ride. They don't get many large attractions down there despite it being one of the largest SF parks. FC is considered a feeder for that park, so we are third in line at least.

soonerj2015
07-30-2021, 09:50 AM
You are right on whales. FC is due a major attraction

HOT ROD
07-30-2021, 04:58 PM
What's SFFT?

I know FC is Frontier City or Six Flags Frontier City (SFFC) and SFOT is Six Flags Over Texas. But you went into SFFT all of sudden without an explanation or at least i didn't follow.

Colbafone
07-30-2021, 07:02 PM
Six Flags Fiesta Texas. In San Antonio.

Kemotblue
07-31-2021, 04:47 PM
What's SFFT?

I know FC is Frontier City or Six Flags Frontier City (SFFC) and SFOT is Six Flags Over Texas. But you went into SFFT all of sudden without an explanation or at least i didn't follow.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT)

Frontier City is in a desperate need of a new attraction. They have upgraded the park to be able to handle more attractions the past couple of years. The only they added was a remodeled kids area. They removed 3 attractions the past two years. The Go Karts, Tumbleweed and Geronimo Sky Coaster . The last thrill attraction was in 2018 that was the Soaring Eagle zip line. Yes the park is desperately needing a new attraction especially a new Thrill Coaster.

Plutonic Panda
07-31-2021, 05:59 PM
He jumped the fence and climbed the lift hill of a roller coaster. Everyone knows that is restricted and will get you banned if not arrested
Dude the guy took water to people that were stranded. There’s a reason people are so hesitant to help out anymore in today’s age. Kick the guy out of the park so people don’t think it’s acceptable and impose a 30 day ban or something. But a lifetime ban? What a joke. Frontier City is joke but I guess we could be like Tulsa and have nothing than a fair.

John1744
07-31-2021, 06:46 PM
There is a Facebook group out there Oklahoma Day Trips or something and people have been dogging on Frontier City hard the last few weeks. I guess most rides have been closed this summer for perpetual repairs and breakdowns, I guess last weekend 8 major rides were closed, only 5 were open. The new kids waterpark wasn't operating and they wouldn't give a refund after you paid if you didn't ask in advance. This could be all hearsay but the post had hundreds of comments with a lot of people concurring things have not been great this summer over there.

shavethewhales
08-02-2021, 08:39 AM
That's rough. Every park is having trouble with staffing right now, and maintenance departments are sometimes letting rides sit closed because they simply don't have the personnel or the parts to fix things. Having 8 rides down in a park that is already small and without many good rides is very disappointing, but it's also what happens when all of your rides are 20+ years old at least without many overhauls. Letting the water park sit closed is a massive fail though, there's hardly an excuse for that unless they are truly up a creek on staffing needs. Frontier City was making great progress before the pandemic, but this sounds like a huge backslide. Unfortunately it doesn't look like external factors will ease up anytime soon...

I kind of assume that some major management shifts are on the way for the park (again). SF needs to bring in a better manager there who gives a crap about the park. The park doesn't really promote itself anymore except as a concert venue that happens to have some roller coasters. They had a decent manager before SF took over. I wish they could bring him and his team back. Maybe the fact that SF doesn't own the park outright plays a part in this since there is a cap on how much they make and are willing to invest in it anyway.

Yes, I should have noted that SFFT is Six Flags Fiesta Texas, lol. A lot of people forget that there are actually two giant Six Flags parks in Texas, and there used to be three. Six Flags over Texas has also had some complaints similar to the above for FC, but not to that degree. At least SFOT has more and bigger rides, so missing out on one or two coasters doesn't ruin your day.

jn1780
08-02-2021, 08:50 AM
Its already not worth the price of admission in my eyes. Might as well remove the remaining thrill rides and just rename it "Frontier Kiddie Land". I'm only half joking.

Celebrator
08-02-2021, 10:20 PM
The family and I had a great visit in mid June where everything was open and operating. I thought staff were friendly and seemed competent. Went back a few weeks later and went to the small waterpark and all was open and operating there, too. Anyway, our experiences with the park have been good this summer.

warreng88
08-03-2021, 09:59 AM
Two years ago in October, my employer had an employee recognition day at FC. It was $5 per person to get in and that included lunch. The staff was rude and slow, the food was ok (burgers, hot dogs, chips, etc). We (me, my wife and five year old) went on the ferris wheel as my daughter had never been on one. When we started to board, the person running the ride said, "be careful, there are wasps at the top..." closed the gate and turned it on. As you know, ferris wheels stop to let people off everyone once in a while and we were stuck at the top with wasps hovering around us for about three minutes while they got people off and more people loaded. I called my cousin that works at Disney World and she said if one person would have said that, the ride would have immediately been shut down and someone brought out to find out why wasps were there.

Yes, I know FC is not Disney, nor will it ever be, but the ride shouldnt have been operating at all if there was a chance guests were going to get stung. The staff knew, they just didn't care.

Colbafone
08-03-2021, 03:00 PM
Been to FC and it's little waterpark 3 times this summer with zero issues yet.

Been to Six Flags Over Texas 3 times now, most recently this past Sunday, and a solid 20-30% of the rides were closed all day. Thankfully we have season passes, but that sucks for anyone who spent the full price on a regular day pass.

ShadowStrings
08-13-2021, 04:55 PM
Cedar Point announced that they are getting rid of Wicked Twister. Not sure if they have plans for it or not (e.g. move it to one of their other parks), but this type of ride would be a great fit for FC with its small footprint.

scottk
08-13-2021, 05:26 PM
Cedar Point announced that they are getting rid of Wicked Twister. Not sure if they have plans for it or not (e.g. move it to one of their other parks), but this type of ride would be a great fit for FC with its small footprint.

That would be a nice addition and the small footprint is a bonus. At one time there was a rumor that a "Crazy Mouse" style coaster was going in near the Starlight Amphitheater and where the go-carts use to be on the back end of the park.

Crazy Mouse is heavily featured in state fairs and traveling carnivals as a whole family ride, where the Wicked Twister would definitely raise the bar for Frontier City and be more of a higher end-thrill.

Dustin
08-14-2021, 12:19 AM
REALLY wish we had something like Silver Dollar City here. It's one of my favorite amusement parks and I'm not even a really big fan of the western theme. The rides are top tier.

Celebrator
08-14-2021, 10:29 PM
Well, I reported above that the two trips I made to the park earlier this summer were great and that everything was open and operating, but today was a different story. Many attractions were closed including the water park area until about 2:00 today! It seems as though they simply don't have enough staff to operate everything as they have lost a lot of seasonal employees as summer winds down. The three multi-story water slides there are so fun, something we were really looking forward to enjoying today and they were closed the whole time we were there--they were pretty much the reason we went into the park today! The whole place just felt a bit tired today, like they were running out of steam here at the end of the season.

shavethewhales
08-16-2021, 12:31 PM

Wrong company unfortunately. There's some speculation it may land either at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City or California's Great America in San Jose. Both are owned by Cedar Fair, head company of Cedar Point.

There are several popular compact coaster types being marketed to small parks like FC though. The most obvious choice would be a ride of the same model as Tantrum at Six Flags Darien Lake. Tiny little footprint and layout, but a very fun and thrilling coaster. https://rcdb.com/15603.htm The other most obvious option would be something like Tigris at Busch Gardens Africa https://rcdb.com/16607.htm

I don't think we'll see much anytime soon though. Six Flags basically put a halt on almost all new rides. Fiesta Texas is really the exception to the rule. Six Flags Over Texas is getting a revamp of their old Looney Tunes dark ride into reimagined version of the original ride that was there before it was transformed into a looney tunes ride. I guess SFOT is also finally getting their 2020 new ride next year too, lol. Most of the smaller parks within the Six Flags and Cedar Fair chains are simply holding on for the time being.

^Like so many parks, they are absolutely coasting into the finish line out of steam. There are simply no workers, no parts, and prices on everything are going up causing issues with the bottom line. I think most park operators simply want to fast forward to next year and hope things FINALLY get back to normal somewhat. I don't know what they are going to do for Fall/Christmas events. Many parks are basically only opening up small parts of the park and a few rides for the seasonal events. Even Seaworld in Orlando is only opening like 2 coasters for their Halloween event.

G.Walker
08-16-2021, 01:45 PM
REALLY wish we had something like Silver Dollar City here. It's one of my favorite amusement parks and I'm not even a really big fan of the western theme. The rides are top tier.

We were in Branson a couple weeks ago and went to Silver Dollar City. It was ok, the main attraction ride Mystic River Falls was shut down.

The two most popular rides, The Time Traveler and Thunderation had over an 1.5 hour wait.

Other than that, the other rides had almost no wait at all. Was expecting more people during the summer, but it wasn't really packed. My family enjoyed it, but nothing to be admiring over to come here.

Dustin
08-16-2021, 04:50 PM
We were in Branson a couple weeks ago and went to Silver Dollar City. It was ok, the main attraction ride Mystic River Falls was shut down.

The two most popular rides, The Time Traveler and Thunderation had over an 1.5 hour wait.

Other than that, the other rides had almost no wait at all. Was expecting more people during the summer, but it wasn't really packed. My family enjoyed it, but nothing to be admiring over to come here.

Did you ride Time Traveler? Would've been worth the wait. Wildfire is probably one of the best coasters in America.

Bowser214
11-03-2023, 08:37 PM
Six Flags merged with Cedar Fair amusement park
https://www.npr.org/2023/11/03/1210387592/cedar-fair-and-six-flags-will-merge-to-create-a-playtime-powerhouse-in-north-ame

Kemotblue
11-04-2023, 01:44 PM
https://www.npr.org/2023/11/03/1210387592/cedar-fair-and-six-flags-will-merge-to-create-a-playtime-powerhouse-in-north-ame

I know it will means there will be changes to both OKC Parks. Those changes who knows at this time.

floyd the barber
11-05-2023, 06:35 AM

Woah.

Cedar operates Knott's Berry.

I know it is legally not a monopoly but it is close.

It appears the only amusement park companies these days may only be Six Flags, SeaWorld/Busch Gardens, Universal, and Disney.

The later three are almost exclusively in Orlando and Los Angeles. If this is true, Six Flags took all parks in the midwest and the lesser known parks in the tourism districts.

scottk
11-05-2023, 09:38 AM
Woah.

Cedar operates Knott's Berry.

I know it is legally not a monopoly but it is close.

It appears the only amusement park companies these days may only be Six Flags, SeaWorld/Busch Gardens, Universal, and Disney.

The later three are almost exclusively in Orlando and Los Angeles. If this is true, Six Flags took all parks in the midwest and the lesser known parks in the tourism districts.

Silver Dollar City and Dollywood I believe are operated/owned by the same company, and they seem to hold their own and have upped their coaster game/thrill rides in recent years.