View Full Version : OCU Wins NAIA basketball championship!

metro
03-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Stars are NAIA champs

By Ryan Aber
The Oklahoman

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Long after nets came down and the trophies had been passed out, Oklahoma City lingered on the court at Municipal Auditorium to celebrate its 79-71 NAIA championship win over Concordia (Calif.).
The current players took photos with the trophy and banner and called out to some of the former Stars who were in attendance to come join in the celebration and photographs.

But security at the stadium refused to let the former players onto the court.

It didn’t matter, as the team just slid off the court to take the photo, ignoring the minor inconvenience.

Although none of the players from last year’s team that lost a heartbreaker to Texas Wesleyan in the championship game returned for this season, Tuesday’s title was nearly as much about that team as it was about this one.

“They told us all the stories about the last shot and I watched the last shot at home last year,” said Kameron Gray, who was named the tournament’s most valuable player. “I just wanted to make sure it didn’t happen again and win it for them and for others, OCU alumni who’ve been there.”

“We weren’t here last year, but this is for them as much as it’s for us.”

It was Oklahoma City’s first title since 1996 and fifth overall. The Stars also won in 1991, 1992 and 1994.

Concordia was searching for its second title. The Eagles won in 2003 and lost to Mountain State in the 2004 championship game.

The Stars did it with a different game than they’d showed throughout the rest of the tournament.

Instead of relying heavily on outside shooting, Ray Harper decided to make more of a concerted effort to go inside.

It worked, with OCU shooting 56 percent from the field. The Stars were 3 of 6 on 3-pointers.

Willie Irick and Duane John did the work down low, with Irick turning in a team-high 17 points and John adding 12.

OCU’s guards, Gray and Nick Covington, combined for 24 points and 15 assists. Covington also added five steals.

The Stars (35-2) took advantage of the Eagles’ tired legs, after Concordia needed four overtimes the night before to knock off No. 1 Robert Morris.

Concordia came out firing, showing no ill effects from the long game, hitting six of seven 3-pointers in the first eight minutes.

But then the weariness of the semifinal showed through, with Concordia missing its final 18 from behind the line.

“It was hard for us,” Concordia’s Terrence Worthy said. “Last night, it was physically draining, it was mentally draining and emotionally draining.

“I really think that fatigue in the second have played a factor. In the first half, we had enough adrenaline to carry us through but after we settled down I really think fatigue set in and it really took its toll on our legs.”

Easy180
03-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Very nice...At least one Oklahoma men's b-ball team accomplished something this year

Didn't know it had been a decade for OCU

escan
03-21-2007, 10:41 AM
I was there for the ones in '94 and '96...go CHIEFS..or Stars...whatever! This is what I hate to give up to go to NCAA....it is fun to win!