View Full Version : First National Center

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53]

DowntownMan
06-02-2024, 10:01 AM
I noticed King Ranch is now open in FNC.

I believe all the commercial space is now open and occupied.

It’s been open for a bit. There is one small space unoccupied in the hall with plenty and barbershop

Bowser214
06-04-2024, 09:51 AM
People Magazine named this Oklahoma lounge to list of most beautiful restaurants in US

Check out this article from The Oklahoman:

People Magazine named this Oklahoma lounge to list of most beautiful restaurants in US

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/lifestyle/food/2024/06/04/great-hall-okc-first-national-building-people-magazine-most-beautiful-restaurant-list/73957865007/

Ginkasa
06-04-2024, 10:00 AM
Here's the People article:
https://people.com/the-50-most-beautiful-restaurants-in-america-2024-8641001

Looks like they picked one from each state. To save you a click, The Great Hall in First National is Oklahoma's.

king183
06-05-2024, 10:26 AM

These guys have been doing some work on First National all week and I do not envy them.

Urbanized
06-05-2024, 10:29 AM
They've been cleaning the windows.

traxx
06-05-2024, 01:17 PM

Looks like they picked one from each state. To save you a click, The Great Hall in First National is Oklahoma's.

I know I'm biased because I'm from okc, but the great hall is one of the best looking ones on that list. Some of those on the list look pretty pedestrian.

mugofbeer
06-06-2024, 07:43 PM

Whether one from each state or not, FNB is worthy of being on this list. It is spectacular!

citywokchinesefood
07-20-2024, 08:09 PM
Just heard from a friend of mine that works at the First National they have some management or ownership changes coming up. They were not entirely sure on the details. Any ideas what was going right, wrong or why this is happening? The property seems to be a hit with only some minor slips and slides that come along the way when you open up a new location.

Urbanized
07-21-2024, 06:59 AM
The food and beverage operations are transitioning on Aug 1 from Apicii to Coury Hospitality, who already manages the hotel. Charitably, Apicii never fully got their arms around the space in the Great Hall, around hiring from the existing OKC employment base, or around the regional palate. The only unqualified hit is Stock and Bond. Big miss for an otherwise very impressive group.

Having separate groups running the building/leasing, the hotel/valet/parking, AND F&B has also been very challenging for all parties. Coury should do a fine job, and the change is probably for the best.

The
07-21-2024, 08:05 AM
The valet operation is horrible and has been every single time I’ve visited, but I’ve had no real complaints about anything else.

But Stock and Bond is far from an unqualified hit in my experiences.

Urbanized
07-21-2024, 09:07 AM
I think if you limit your definition of “a hit” to how it has been embraced by the dining public (which was how I intended it) Stock and Bond has inarguably been incredibly successful from the jump. Absolutely packed seven nights a week.

Far different from Tellers or Library of Distilled Spirits, which often have terrible lulls during business hours that SHOULD have far more draw. And in the case of Tellers/Great Hall, they have often left significant presented revenue on the table because of service issues. ESPECIALLY Great Hall, where sometimes it remains a terrible challenge simply to get the attention of an (often-curt) bartender, and always has been.

I was in no way making the case that S&B hasn’t had service challenges (it has) or that it’s the best prime steakhouse in OKC, though I will say that it is generally quite good.

If you’re defining it strictly by initial and continued demand, there’s no way it can be said that it’s not been a hit. Far different than “a hit for folks who want to take pictures at Christmas” or “bar is packed on the weekends.”

Urbanized
07-21-2024, 09:40 AM
Something that I think has flown under the radar here is that Stock and Bond’s startup GM (who I believe came on as an executive partner) is a guy named Rich Furino, who was longtime regional and then east coast manager for Del Frisco. He’s a career prime steakhouse guy. Fortunately he is staying on with the new arrangement, although I believe he will likely now be more involved with all of the F&B while a new manager will take over day-to-day inside S&B.

PhiAlpha
07-21-2024, 10:44 AM
Yeah tellers and the library of distilled spirits have been pretty disappointing for what they should be. Those restaurants occupy two of the coolest spaces in the state and they need to provide an experience that lives up to that. Tellers in particular has been disappointing.

Urbanized
07-21-2024, 10:52 AM
^^^^^^^^^^
Coury runs a pretty cool speakeasy-styled basement bar in the Wichita Ambassador, and it seemed very well run and locally-patronized on my visits, although to be fair those were all a few years ago at this point. Hopefully they can make better sense of that cool vault space.

Ginkasa
07-21-2024, 06:23 PM
I've really enjoyed Tellers the couple of times I've been. But if this makes it even better that's great.

king183
07-22-2024, 07:50 AM
Tellers has been terrible the last few times I visited, so I stopped going completely. I would love to go back because it’s such a great location and has tons of potential. The Library of Distilled Spirits seems like just another bar, which is the opposite of what it should seem like given the location. Hopefully Coury can transform it to its full potential.

mattjank
07-22-2024, 08:44 AM
^^^^^^^^^^
Coury runs a pretty cool speakeasy-styled basement bar in the Wichita Ambassador, and it seemed very well run and locally-patronized on my visits, although to be fair those were all a few years ago at this point. Hopefully they can make better sense of that cool vault space.

Hopefully. We went to check it out one time and they had a DJ blaring music with lights and a fog machine in that tiny area. Walked around the bar and right back out.

traxx
07-22-2024, 09:14 AM
It's been a while since I've been to Tellers or the Library. For those that have said they've been disappointing, what are the issues that are making it that way?

TheTravellers
07-22-2024, 10:02 AM
It's been a while since I've been to Tellers or the Library. For those that have said they've been disappointing, what are the issues that are making it that way?

We went once to Tellers, and the service was slow and a bit below average, and the food was just not that good (but that should come as no surprise to anybody that knows our high standards for restaurants :)). As has been said, service and food do not live up to the incredible space they're in.

Anonymous.
07-22-2024, 10:13 AM
I went to LDS last week on a Tuesday night and it was just fine service-wise. It looked like upstairs at Tellers was super busy and maybe people just didn't know about the vault bar in the basement, because there was probably less than 15 patrons.

soonerguru
07-22-2024, 02:10 PM
Tellers has been terrible the last few times I visited, so I stopped going completely. I would love to go back because it’s such a great location and has tons of potential. The Library of Distilled Spirits seems like just another bar, which is the opposite of what it should seem like given the location. Hopefully Coury can transform it to its full potential.

The two times I've been to Tellers were for breakfast, and I thought it was pretty good overall. Haven't been for lunch or dinner.

PhiAlpha
07-23-2024, 09:45 AM

That's my feeling. They also don't ever seem to use the room with the bad ass lit up vault door so you basically have a dark bar with a somewhat low ceiling and a cool entrance that doesn't look much like a converted vault after you walk in the door. It's kinda like Packard ignoring their rooftop patio at times...maybe don't forget about the coolest parts of your space when entertaining customers. I know some of those things are way easier said than done with staffing issues but I think operators just really start to overlook little vibe things that do actually matter at times.

PhiAlpha
07-23-2024, 09:47 AM
Hopefully. We went to check it out one time and they had a DJ blaring music with lights and a fog machine in that tiny area. Walked around the bar and right back out.

somebody SCREAM!!!!! whah wha WHAAHHHHHHH!!!!! (that's sound of the party air horn I heard as I read your post)

PhiAlpha
07-23-2024, 09:51 AM
We went once to Tellers, and the service was slow and a bit below average, and the food was just not that good (but that should come as no surprise to anybody that knows our high standards for restaurants :)). As has been said, service and food do not live up to the incredible space they're in.

This is one time I fully agree with the critique. Food is overpriced for what you get and not a good enough (nor is the experience) for awesome the space is.

Though I did try the infamous sauced the other night and really enjoyed the pizza ;)

PhiAlpha
07-23-2024, 09:53 AM
I went to LDS last week on a Tuesday night and it was just fine service-wise. It looked like upstairs at Tellers was super busy and maybe people just didn't know about the vault bar in the basement, because there was probably less than 15 patrons.

Did they ask if you wanted to learn more about their lord and savior Jesus Christ while you were down there?

traxx
07-24-2024, 09:28 AM
Did they ask if you wanted to learn more about their lord and savior Jesus Christ while you were down there?

lol
My mind jumped to the LDS church too.

fortpatches
07-24-2024, 09:42 AM
lol
My mind jumped to the LDS church too.

What does LDS refer to here? That is all that comes to mind....

catcherinthewry
07-24-2024, 09:44 AM
Library of Distilled Spirits.

Anonymous.
Library of Distilled Spirits. Sorry, I am acronym happy sometimes with long-winded names to type out. :) I figured since the thread topic at the time was speaking about it, it would be more obvious.

Pete

Library of Distilled Spirits -- the basement vault bar at FNC.

BoulderSooner
07-24-2024, 09:45 AM

Library of Distilled Spirits ..

The
07-24-2024, 09:46 AM
Anyone know what LDS stands for?

fortpatches
07-24-2024, 09:47 AM
Anyone know what LDS stands for?

I've been told it stands for Library of Distilled Spirits.... :cool:

Urbanized
07-24-2024, 10:37 AM
For anyone who has Mormon friends or family, being served an LDS cocktail is probably instinctively jarring, for a minute, anyway.

EtanEiko
07-25-2024, 07:20 AM
For anyone who has Mormon friends or family, being served an LDS cocktail is probably instinctively jarring, for a minute, anyway.

LOL interesting concept idea for mocktails!

Martin
07-25-2024, 10:40 AM
i don't always enjoy cocktails... but when i do, i get their recipes off of ancient, buried gold plates.

citywokchinesefood
07-27-2024, 01:58 PM
i don't always enjoy cocktails... but when i do, i get their recipes off of ancient, buried gold plates.

I find that the best cocktails are usually found at The Red Dog.