View Full Version : First National Center

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

OSUMom
06-10-2015, 08:27 PM
The main thing I don't want to lose is the tag agency. I use that place a lot.

Just the facts
06-10-2015, 08:30 PM
All I pray for is the removal of the skywalk over Robinson, which would be the smartest thing for them to do, since it will drive foot traffic to their new Park Ave retail tenants. Unless, of course, the City spent $250,000 for nothing. I do like the Broadway façade so I hope they can keep that (or something very similar to it)

Urbanized
06-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Tag agency can/will probably relocate very easily. Not too worried about them. I use them a lot, too. Also my doctor is in the arcade, but good news that he has already found a home in Century Center.

wsucougz
06-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Here we go again...

Le Meridien hotel lawsuit raises questions about status of downtown Cleveland project (photos) | cleveland.com (http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/05/le_meridien_hotel_lawsuit_rais.html)

And the Oklahoman cites the Le Meridien Hotel in Cleveland as Goodman's top credential for doing this project.

Pete
06-10-2015, 08:57 PM
Excellent!

Still researching this developer which is shown as Goodman & Associates from California in the story but the correct name is actually SGoodman & Associates. Looks like a bunch of interconnected LLC's and investment groups rather than a true development company.

Looks like all of the east and center sections will be demolished and make way for a lot of structured parking. That's that's 550,000 square feet or 55% of the entire complex

1st floor retail commercial, 2-3 office, 4-13 Le Meriden 340-room (or similar) hotel, and then 125 upscale apartments on 12 floors.

That still leaves several floors at the top; perhaps that will be for some sort of restaurant or shared space for the hotel and apartments?

Also says the hotel rooms will overlook the banking hall's multi-story atrium. I assume that means the existing atrium will stay open air? But you could certainly see them creating glass all the way between the three sides and shining down on the banking hall.

Kemotblue
06-10-2015, 09:06 PM
I like this news about the new developer and sounds like they have very very very deep pockets.

PhiAlpha
06-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Excellent!

Still researching this developer which is shown as Goodman & Associates from California in the story but the correct name is actually SGoodman & Associates. Looks like a bunch of interconnected LLC's and investment groups rather than a true development company.

Looks like all of the east and center sections will be demolished and make way for a lot of structured parking. That's that's 550,000 square feet or 55% of the entire complex

1st floor retail commercial, 2-3 office, 4-13 Le Meriden 340-room (or similar) hotel, and then 125 upscale apartments on 12 floors.

That still leaves several floors at the top; perhaps that will be for some sort of restaurant or shared space for the hotel and apartments?

Also says the hotel rooms will overlook the banking hall's multi-story atrium. I assume that means the existing atrium will stay open air? But you could certainly see them creating glass all the way between the three sides and shining down on the banking hall.

Hopefully the parking garage conversion includes retail space on park ave, that's a lot of parking garage frontage if not. Otherwise this looks pretty cool.

Pete
06-10-2015, 09:07 PM
Stephen Goodman and his partners are being sued over a proposed Le Meridien in downtown Cleveland:

Le Meridien hotel lawsuit raises questions about status of downtown Cleveland project (photos) | cleveland.com (http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/05/le_meridien_hotel_lawsuit_rais.html)

Paging Spartan. Looks like this matter is still pending.

Pete
06-10-2015, 09:08 PM
It seems the way Goodman operates is to bring in development and investment partners for each of his deals. I strongly suspect there is local money behind this.

Pete
06-10-2015, 09:37 PM
I can't find anything that Goodman has done except the Le Meridien in Cleveland (which is way behind schedule and in litigation) and a 11-story hotel in Fort Meyers which has yet to start construction.

Both involve very complex financing deals (tons of different investors from all over) and a lot of public subsidy.

Keep in mind that while the Alliance has definitely talked to this group about how they can help them with the redevelopment, the City had nothing to do with them being chosen as the purchaser. I'm sure that was just a simple matter of bidding the most money ($23 million in this case) and being able to close on the sale.

But they'll need another $100 million for redevelopment costs, and given the plans as described, that seems quite low.

PhiAlpha
06-10-2015, 09:45 PM
I can't find anything that Goodman has done except the Le Meridien in Cleveland (which is way behind schedule and in litigation) and a 11-story hotel in Fort Meyers which has yet to start construction.

Both involve very complex financing deals (tons of different investors from all over) and a lot of public subsidy.

Keep in mind that while the Alliance has definitely talked to this group about how they can help them with the redevelopment, the City had nothing to do with them being chosen as the purchaser. I'm sure that was just a simple matter of bidding the most money ($23 million in this case) and being able to close on the sale.

But they'll need another $100 million for redevelopment costs, and given the plans as described, that seems quite low.

All of that is more than a little concerning... I wonder why we couldn't attract someone more reputable for this.

Pete
06-10-2015, 09:47 PM
All of that is more than a little concerning... I wonder why we couldn't attract someone more reputable for this.

It wasn't a matter of what the City could attract... There were lots of interested parties and bidders.

The issue is the current owner had/has total control of who they sell to and you can be sure all they cared about was getting the most money possible.

And $23 million is a pretty good price; I know local investors were very interested but not at that cost.

catch22
06-10-2015, 10:45 PM
Sounded good.

Now sounds pretty concerning.

bchris02
06-10-2015, 10:58 PM
I definitely agree this is concerning. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic and hopefully they do what they say they are going to do rather than just sit on it like the past several owners did.

Teo9969
06-11-2015, 12:53 AM
Steve said in his video that he had done something in Nashville as well, but haven't been able to find that.

Hope we see some follow-up press about the buyer soon.

jccouger
06-11-2015, 07:07 AM
I'm glad I never got my hopes up.

Also, Steve's article makes it seem like the buildings to the east will be converted, not demolished, in to parking. I'd be extremely pleased with that, but I've never been inside those buildings & I'm not even sure that would be possible.

gurantula35
06-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Just spoke with the Golden Dragon operator. They have 60 days from July 22nd. He has been actively looking for a new space but hasn't found anything yet. He seemed pretty bummed, i felt bad for the guy. He contemplated retiring but says he will find somewhere else to operate.

He has a question about his lease, his lease runs for another year. Does the sale basically eliminate the lease obligation from the owners? He made it seem as if he already paid up for the next year and wanted to make sure he got his money back if they cut the lease short.

He also mentioned that Cafe 7 had already picked a new place to go. I asked him a couple times but couldn't understand what he was saying so i just left it alone. Anyone know anything about that?

Jeepnokc
06-11-2015, 08:29 AM
Just spoke with the Golden Dragon operator. They have 60 days from July 22nd. He has been actively looking for a new space but hasn't found anything yet. He seemed pretty bummed, i felt bad for the guy. He contemplated retiring but says he will find somewhere else to operate.

He has a question about his lease, his lease runs for another year. Does the sale basically eliminate the lease obligation from the owners? He made it seem as if he already paid up for the next year and wanted to make sure he got his money back if they cut the lease short.

He also mentioned that Cafe 7 had already picked a new place to go. I asked him a couple times but couldn't understand what he was saying so i just left it alone. Anyone know anything about that?

He needs to at least speak with a lawyer and let them look at the lease. The actual lease will dictate the terms . Probably not liable but if they are breaking lease, he may be entitled to some damages or be able to negotiate relocation assistance

David
06-11-2015, 08:52 AM
About that Cleveland lawsuit: More About the Pending First National Developer (http://newsok.com/article/5426818)

Bob Loblaw
06-11-2015, 11:30 AM
Props to Pete and OKCTalk for doing some actual reporting on the FNC - Steve is great and all but talking with downtown OKC players/pals who give nothing but "coachspeak" and tweeting to Cafe7 or Downtown OKC Inc for updates and info isn't the basis for quality in-depth reporting IMO - lately, the NewOK reporting on the FNC has been disappointing, lots of words but little substance and almost always in reaction mode, responding or repeating news that has been broken elsewhere - but maybe that's just the nature of the newspaper beast these days?

Despite all this talk on NewsOK of how tenants have time, not just 60 days, we'll work with them, yada yada yada, make no mistake, the place is being cleared out - I feel for places like the Tinder Box, Golden Dragon, the tag agency, sub stop, the greek place, all the easy to see places on the first floor arcade - but I also feel for those in the upper floors that you can't see easily, Leigh and Tommy up on 7 with the nail girls, The Excellence Foundation on 14, and the different types of professional firms and state agencies in the FNC that must now quickly look for a new place to set up shop

Y'know, if someone really wanted to know what the FNC tenants were being told by building management, lay an FOIA request on the Pardon & Parole Board, the Tourism Dept or the Securities Commission - or take one of the few working elevators to the upper floors and actually talk to some of the folks up on 6, 7, 8, 9, 14, 17 or higher (is Beck still up on 28?)

Whoever said you gotta crack eggs to make an omelet was dead on - nevertheless, still painful to see some downtown mainstays and friends being uprooted on short notice

Keep up the great work, Pete!

p.s. I saw the NewsOK video proudly proclaiming "I know the identity of the FNC's Cali buyer and I just talked to him" - while all good and well, I was left wondering why if this guy has been working very quietly behind the scenes with the Historical Preservation Society and others since 2013 is it just now getting out? Again, perhaps it's more about the landscape in which papers now exist, more comfortable with re-writing press releases as opposed to working sources and documents to get real facts and substance? Sorry to keep bagging on the local paper's coverage, just think we as readers/consumers and the FNC as topic deserve much better than what we've gotten so far.......

reginajet
06-11-2015, 01:22 PM
Umm... I wonder if someone just threw this up as parody. Or if it's been hacked. Be sure and take a look at the About, Bios, and the page on the Ft. Lauderdale hotel.

Home (http://www.sgassociates.net/home.html)

GoThunder
06-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Umm... I wonder if someone just threw this up as parody. Or if it's been hacked. Be sure and take a look at the About, Bios, and the page on the Ft. Lauderdale hotel.

Wow, the page on the Ft. Lauderdale hotel sounds like someone is very ticked about it.

Pete
06-11-2015, 01:36 PM
This is the list of projects shown on that site:

Project Name
Description
Role

W Hotel, Fort Lauderdale
Hotel condos
Due diligence, loan placement (construction)

Mandarin Hotel, Grand Caymans
Hotel condos-development
Loan placement and investment

W Hotel, Park City
Hotel condos-development
Acquisition and development management

Choice Hotels, Cambria
Program debt/equity; program for development
Financial advisory and investment

Choice Hotels, Suburban
Program debt/equity

Value Place/Quanah Development
Equity raise for 27 locations

Starwood Hotels Prototype
Program debt/equity
Financial advisory

Fairmont Acapulco Princess
Hotel sale-management
Financial advisory

JW Marriott, Coco Beach
Resort hotel and villas-development
Financial advisor, investment and development manager

St. Regis, San Francisco
Hotel and residential condos
Financial advisory

St. Regis, Fort Lauderdale
Resort hotel and fractionals
Loan placement (construction), development management

Ritz Carlton, Miami Beach
Resort hotel developmen
Investment

Atlantic City Sheraton
Convention hotel
Financial analysis/debt underwriting

JW Marriott, Star Pass
Resort hotel development
Assisted in engaging outside consultants, created financial projects and lender presentation package

Syracuse Renaissance
Hotel
Acquisition

LeMeridien, Cleveand
Hotel
Acquisition and development management

A/P Springhill Suites, Newark
Extended stay hotel
Acquisition

Holiday Inn, St. Louis
Hotel
Acquisition

Sheraton, Ft. Myers
Hotel
Public/private partnership, development

Just the facts
06-11-2015, 02:05 PM

Lol.

zookeeper
06-11-2015, 02:36 PM
The website has been taken down. Something's not quite right about this.

mattjank
06-11-2015, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=p.s. I saw the NewsOK video proudly proclaiming "I know the identity of the FNC's Cali buyer and I just talked to him" - while all good and well, I was left wondering why if this guy has been working very quietly behind the scenes with the Historical Preservation Society and others since 2013 is it just now getting out? Again, perhaps it's more about the landscape in which papers now exist, more comfortable with re-writing press releases as opposed to working sources and documents to get real facts and substance? Sorry to keep bagging on the local paper's coverage, just think we as readers/consumers and the FNC as topic deserve much better than what we've gotten so far.......[/QUOTE]

Or what about talking to the party that filed suit to get actual information from both sides, not just taking the word of the party being sued. Seems to be the exact same style of dealing with teemco.

I understand not wanting to burn bridges with the developer, but there's always 2 sides to a story. And where there's smoke, more often than not, there's fire.

Pete
06-11-2015, 02:49 PM
The website has been taken down. Something's not quite right about this.

Before it was deactivated it said the company was formed in 2014 and has over a $1 billion in projects underway.

This whole thing is weird.

I'd really like to know what type of preliminary understanding they have with the Alliance for TIF and other incentives.

I'm sure a deal has not been struck, but I"m also sure this developer would not be moving forward without at least a general understanding of various incentives.

zookeeper
06-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Lol.

So, I'm curious now, what was on the page about the Fort Lauderdale Regis?

bchris02
06-11-2015, 02:56 PM
If this developer ends up not pulling through, does the city of OKC have any options?

GoThunder
06-11-2015, 03:18 PM
So, I'm curious now, what was on the page about the Fort Lauderdale Regis?
"I remember this project very well. We were so excited because this was going to be our first project with the W hotel chain. The ideas that were being floated around, for that time, were just simply out of this world. It was like, "Are you f-----g crazy! Who's going to stay at this hotel and pay the kind of money you wanna charge?" It was outrageous. I thought everybody had to be on LSD to be thinking like this.

But we did it. The hotel was a great success, and it helped to solidify the image of the W hotel chain as the hippest place to stay when you have to travel. The international traveler loved the concept. Gawd, we made millions..

Joe Blow, director of concepts"

Just the facts
06-11-2015, 03:55 PM
The photo on the About page was pretty good also. 3 guys flexing their muscles in a small bathroom - one had an eye patch.

Clearly their site was hacked.

zookeeper
06-11-2015, 04:56 PM
The photo on the About page was pretty good also. 3 guys flexing their muscles in a small bathroom - one had an eye patch.

Clearly their site was hacked.

They must have some serious enemies. According to WayBack Machine, there has never been too much to see.

soonerguru
06-11-2015, 11:17 PM

This makes me sad. I love that guy and his wife. They have been important fixtures in that building for at least 20 years.

soonerguru
06-11-2015, 11:21 PM
Steve has canceled his chat for tomorrow. Why?

ljbab728
06-11-2015, 11:26 PM
Steve has canceled his chat for tomorrow. Why?

Just what does that have to do with this thread? The conspiracy theories here are getting silly.

bchris02
06-11-2015, 11:49 PM
Just what does that have to do with this thread? The conspiracy theories here are getting silly.

Look at Steve's twitter. He is skipping the chat because he is unable to answer the big questions about First National Center.

Teo9969
06-11-2015, 11:50 PM

I think everyone here hopes that turns out to be the case.

Plutonic Panda
06-12-2015, 02:27 AM
It's real brother. They have signeded on with a Chinese henchman to install doorknobs on houses occupied by the likes Taylor Swift, Bernie Sanders, Bob Marley, and perhaps a reincarnated Joespeh Stalin. I'm alive and ride I will.

- Retiny

Dustin
06-12-2015, 05:15 AM

The FNC is literally why he isn't doing the chat. Seriously.

Jim Kyle
06-12-2015, 06:50 AM

Home (http://www.sgassociates.net/home.html)And now the site is unavailable...

David
06-12-2015, 08:12 AM
The FNC is literally why he isn't doing the chat. Seriously.

Yep (https://twitter.com/stevelackmeyer/status/609347948003000321).

Skipping OKC Central Live Chat as I dig more into the pending sale of First National Center.

ljbab728
06-12-2015, 08:30 AM
Yep (https://twitter.com/stevelackmeyer/status/609347948003000321).

OK, that wasn't said in the first mention about it being cancelled and I don't follow his twitter so I didn't see it.

jn1780
06-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Look at Steve's twitter. He is skipping the chat because he is unable to answer the big questions about First National Center.

I wouldn't exactly put it that way. Could be he is just busy following leads to do a live chat. Getting good information for his NewsOK articles is more important than the live chats that really only a small segment of the population actually reads and takes part in.

Urbanized
06-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Good grief, could we just start a "bash on the Oklahoman" thread, a "bash on Brianna" thread and a "bash on Steve" thread and keep such posts in there? It seems like every thread on this board these days devolves into a referendum on their respective coverage. It is getting tiring.

I'm not even making this post to defend their coverage; I'm just saying that I don't want to read a play-by-play on it in EVERY. SINGLE. THREAD.

UnFrSaKn
06-12-2015, 09:16 AM
^^^

bchris02
06-12-2015, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't exactly put it that way. Could be he is just busy following leads to do a live chat. Getting good information for his NewsOK articles is more important than the live chats that really only a small segment of the population actually reads and takes part in.

Earlier yesterday he posted this.

Steve's OKC Central @stevelackmeyer · 12h 12 hours ago
Truth time: Not sure I want to do OKC Central Live Chat tomorrow. I can't yet answer what I suspect will be the biggest question...

BillyOcean
06-12-2015, 09:30 AM
Good grief, could we just start a "bash on the Oklahoman" thread, a "bash on Brianna" thread and a "bash on Steve" thread and keep such posts in there? It seems like every thread on this board these days devolves into a referendum on their respective coverage. It is getting tiring.

I'm not even making this post to defend their coverage; I'm just saying that I don't want to read a play-by-play on it in EVERY. SINGLE. THREAD.

Agreed. I have no dog in this fight, but obviously Pete and Steve still have some beef that has now included the entire DO. It is annoying to see both adults be so passive aggressive towards each other on their respective mediums. Either confront each other in person, like men, or move on.

BDP
06-12-2015, 09:40 AM
Earlier yesterday he posted this.

Steve's OKC Central @stevelackmeyer · 12h 12 hours ago
Truth time: Not sure I want to do OKC Central Live Chat tomorrow. I can't yet answer what I suspect will be the biggest question...

He usually doesn't answer many big questions in the chats anyway.

Steve
06-12-2015, 09:42 AM
I have refrained from saying anything negative online or in print about Pete or OKC Talk for several months despite several attempts by various folks on social media and in my chats to bait me. My last communication to Pete was one of attempted reconciliation. We are absolutely competitors now in terms of trying to get information. But I am in that situation with Ben Felder and others and it doesn't seem to involve the commentary that goes on here at OKC Talk. Look to yourselves, and quit blaming Pete and I.... now to settle this once and for all, there is no conspiracy on my behalf, no shirking from the job. I've been working long hours to get to the bottom of all this and I cancelled the chat because I can't answer a lot of questions on First National and I don't want to say "I don't know" repeatedly. I am spending my day trying to get answers. Some of you think I'm lazy. Some of you think I'm a sell-out. Some of you think I'm worthless. Fine. Can we just move on or create a "bash Steve Lackmeyer and Brianna Baily" thread as suggested? Thanks.

jccouger
06-12-2015, 09:58 AM
I have refrained from saying anything negative online or in print about Pete or OKC Talk for several months despite several attempts by various folks on social media and in my chats to bait me. My last communication to Pete was one of attempted reconciliation. We are absolutely competitors now in terms of trying to get information. But I am in that situation with Ben Felder and others and it doesn't seem to involve the commentary that goes on here at OKC Talk. Look to yourselves, and quit blaming Pete and I.... now to settle this once and for all, there is no conspiracy on my behalf, no shirking from the job. I've been working long hours to get to the bottom of all this and I cancelled the chat because I can't answer a lot of questions on First National and I don't want to say "I don't know" repeatedly. I am spending my day trying to get answers. Some of you think I'm lazy. Some of you think I'm a sell-out. Some of you think I'm worthless. Fine. Can we just move on or create a "bash Steve Lackmeyer and Brianna Baily" thread as suggested? Thanks.

I have to give you props.

You tell us you are busting your butt trying to get info about FNC, so you come to OKCtalk to find some (obviously if you are posting here in this thread). Good choice!

Seriously though, we know you work hard & we realize you are hog tied by your employer. OKCtalk almost always have the scoop before what you are allowed to release, but you always have details that OKCtalk doesn't when you finally do print your articles. I think most of us here read basically all of your articles about OKC developments, so I wouldn't say we think you are worthless either. I think we all even enjoy most of what you write & research. A lot of us still feel ill will from when you were bashing this site a couple months ago. I appreciate you not doing it anymore, but you never apologized for it so a bit of the ill will remains.

Keep doing what you do for OKC, its really good for the city. Seriously.

Steve
06-12-2015, 10:00 AM
That is the most back handed compliment I've had all week. Bye.

Jim Kyle
06-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Agreed. I have no dog in this fight, but obviously Pete and Steve still have some beef that has now included the entire DO.I don't think that's all there is to it. Print journalism is on the decline everywhere, not just here in OKC. I'm not happy with the situation, but it's an undeniable fact.

For well over 50 years, OPubCo has had a tradition of hiding some stories, but until its purchase by an absentee owner that has not been so obvious as it has become in the last couple of years. Those of us who remember "the good old days" of the Gaylords are saddened and dismayed by what we see happening to what once was the major newspaper in the state. Is it "bashing" to point out obvious shortcomings in coverage?

Urban Pioneer
06-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Steve does a good job and I really have to thank him for helping us elevate the OKC Boulevard debate. The First National story was a great read. I am excited for that building.

That stated, it's ok to say, "I don't know."

Jim Kyle
06-12-2015, 10:10 AM
That is the most back handed compliment I've had all week. Bye.As one who once was in exactly the same position as you, having to respect sources' confidential material and being restricted by certain company policies, I thought it was anything but back-handed. Seemed to me to be a perfectly honest appreciation of your efforts -- and open blogs are notorious for their general lack of fact-checking. I have no dog in this fight, other than hating to witness the decline of an institution. You deserve better!

Urban Pioneer
06-12-2015, 10:16 AM
Maybe for a reporter, it isn't ok to say "I don't know."

Just the facts
06-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Someday OKCTalk will be held to the same standard people are now holding the Oklahoman to.

Loftsoffun
06-12-2015, 11:07 AM
That is the most back handed compliment I've had all week. Bye.

Honestly, how childish. Steve does great reporting, but he is clearly having sever issues with not being the place to go first for downtown information anymore and he cant seem to stand that. He used to always have the scoop and people always use to clamor about him for that scoop which inflated his ego. His ego is hurt now.

David
06-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Oh lordy, people, just drop it. Stop picking this fight, stop trying to stir up trouble between Pete and Steve, just give it a damn rest.

AP
06-12-2015, 11:48 AM
This is probably the thing I hate most about being associated with this forum. The constant attacking of Steve's reporting. It is very tiring to continually see it here, but people will continue to do it as long as anonymity remains.

bchris02
06-12-2015, 11:56 AM
This is probably the thing I hate most about being associated with this forum. The constant attacking of Steve's reporting. It is very tiring to continually see it here, but people will continue to do it as long as anonymity remains.

This.

Steve and Pete both do their own things very well. OKCTalk and DOK both have their own strengths and weaknesses and competition is good.