View Full Version : Hole in the wall place

traemac
02-19-2007, 10:30 AM
What are your favorite hole in the wall places you would recommend to everyone?

bandnerd
02-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Someplace Else Deli, 23rd and Western.

BailJumper
02-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Edna's North Classen.
Cock o'the Walk.

metro
02-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Eichen's Bar in Okarche is probably the most famous Hole in The Wall you will find in the state.

Easy180
02-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Edna's for sure...Order a lunchbox, which is their signature drink

Deni
02-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Ken's steak house amber Oklahoma

cyn213
02-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Mexican: Los Molino's
Los Molinos Mexican Restaurant, Oklahoma City, OK (http://www.eskimo.com/~sockeye/ok/losmolinosokc.html)

Burritos: Qdobas
Not a hole in the wall, but tasty nonetheless

Deli:
Napoleon Deli in Midwest City
Oklahoma Gazette - Your Entertainment and Food Source (http://www.okgazette.com/news/templates/smag7.asp?articleid=64&zoneid=11)

NE Oasis
02-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Kumback Cafe - Perry, Oklahoma.
Recommended by Pretty Boy Floyd hisself!!!!!

oumoodman85
02-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Regardless of your opinion towards Chelino's--this location is a "hole in the wall" but it is by far the best. Visit this location and many things will surprise you:

1) amazing service

2) clean/ solid clientele (once you see the location you will understand the surprise here)

3) GREAT FOOD everytime you dine here, no matter what. And the waitstaff will recognize you after a while (they are too a very consistent bunch).

4221 S Robinson Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73109

(405) 636-1548

ultimatesooner
03-01-2007, 08:26 AM
hawaiian Don's

bandnerd
03-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Ah, yes...Hawaiian Don's. Home of the $7 fishbowl drink. Good times.

Easy180
03-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Heard that place was like sitting in Cheech and Chong's car

CMSturgeon
03-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Eichen's Bar in Okarche is probably the most famous Hole in The Wall you will find in the state.

I agree. I hear a meal is pricey for what you get but I also hear it's some of the best chicken in the state.

asta2
03-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Eichen's Bar isn't too expensive. We went for Valentines day with a group of 24. We ate and drank (beer) until we were sick. I think it was about $30 a couple including tip!

My new favorite hole in the wall is Bricktown Coney and Pub. That is the coolest decor I've seen. The bar upstairs is my favorite. By the way they have the best, I mean the best FRIED PICKLES.

acceleratedpulse
03-01-2007, 05:23 PM
There's a little place near NW 40th and Lincoln Blvd (on the west side of the road) that serves some of the best BBQ in the city (in my opinion). I think it's called "Smokehouse"....but don't quote me on that.

y_h
03-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Classen Grill for breakfast. The food is certainly a notch above "hole in the wall" cuisine, but the surrounding environs would certainly qualify the joint for that status.

BailJumper
03-02-2007, 09:04 AM
Anyone here been to 'A Family Affair' on NE 23rd?

That place is very good and full of people from the Capitol.

family-affair loc: Oklahoma City, OK - Google Maps (http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=family-affair&near=Oklahoma+City,+OK&radius=0.0&latlng=35467500,-97516111,15500960677354909178&sa=X&oi=local&ct=authority)

Buffest style fresh salad, chicken, catfish, potatos, cobbler.... Yummy!

About $6.50 each for all you can eat and a VERY friendly staff. Don't let the scary neighborhood or bars on the doors/windows scare you off.

metro
03-04-2007, 09:34 PM
I agree. I hear a meal is pricey for what you get but I also hear it's some of the best chicken in the state.

Are you kidding me, its some of the cheapest food, my wife and I can get a full meal and have leftovers to bring back for $15. A whole chicken is like $8 bucks and that comes with the bread, onions, pickles and then you can add a HUGE side like fried okra or something for about $4.

BailJumper
03-05-2007, 05:48 AM
Personally, I think Eichen's Bar is over hyped. Don't get me wrong, we love to take friends and make the drive or ride the bikes. I think it is the whole experience of coming and going, the atmosphere, and history that makes the chicken seem so good. You serve the exact same chicken in OKC and you don't have anything that special. Am I nuts or does/did someone advertise Okarche chicken on their local menu - I could swear I saw that in the past.

metro
03-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I'd have to disagree that you can get chicken just as good or same as Eichen's Bar in OKC. I dislike Chicken on the Bone (just have a weird thing with it). I had Eichens and absolutely love it, the secret recipe, the way its fried and severed on paper with the onions and pickles. Nothing I've found in OKC tastes like it.

Karried
03-06-2007, 07:12 AM
By the time the chicken arrived after a two hour wait.. anything tasted good.

Of course, in the meantime we had endless mugs of beer so I can't really tell you what the chicken tasted like ... lol..

Honestly, I felt like the drive and the wait just wasn't worth it but the experience with friends was pretty fun.

Personally, I don't like pickles, onions or white bread sooo that leaves just the chicken, which was pretty good.

I might try to go back when it's less crowded and give it another shot. I know everyone raves about it.

BailJumper
03-06-2007, 09:00 AM
I'll take a $5 whole rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club anyday.

But like I said, the experience makes the drive worth it. Take that away and you've just got chicken.

Martin
03-06-2007, 09:15 AM
i like eichen's, but i'll agree that the food is good but overrated.

as for chelino's, it looks like another one is going in at sw 89th and western... where big ed's used to be, ages ago.

-M

metro
03-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Back to Eichens, if you're going to go, don't go on a weekend, or you'll definitely wait a good 2 hours plus. Go earlier in the week on a Monday - Wednesday, earlier the better, you should be able to find a seat or not wait long and you're food will come out much quicker. The chicken is still the best I've had w/o the onions/pickles, etc. I typically don't eat that with chicken but that's part of the flavor and experience. And as I mentioned I don't even like chicken on the bone, but I love Eichens.

As far as Chelino's, that stuff is nasty, service is always terrible, and most of their locations are dirty.

Martin
03-06-2007, 01:24 PM
i'm not a fan of chelino's, either... but i've rarely gotten bad service when dragged there. -M

jbrown84
03-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Am I nuts or does/did someone advertise Okarche chicken on their local menu - I could swear I saw that in the past.

There was a place called Doc's that served it. It was in the building on 63rd that is now Irma's Burger Shack. My sister got locked inside the bathroom there once.

Karried
03-07-2007, 12:05 PM
I've had good service in Bricktown. Of course, it's always packed there so a wait is to expected but the waitstaff is always hustling and bustling.

y_h
03-07-2007, 01:02 PM
There was a place called Doc's that served it. It was in the building on 63rd that is now Irma's Burger Shack.

I can vouch for this. They used to serve "Okarche Fried Chicken" as a Sunday special. They also used to "honor" the Denco Diner in Norman by serving a version of the Denco Darlin which to my recollection (it's been about 15 years) was basically chili-mac served with tortilla chips and green goddess dressing.

bandnerd
03-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Ahhhh...Irma's. I love Irma's.

jbrown84
03-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Me too can't wait for the Plaza Court location.

redcup
03-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Mariachi's Mexican Restaurant at NW 39th and Portland is pretty good. We started going there after Laredo's closed down. Still waiting for it to get finished. I don't ever think it will at the rate they are going!

:sofa:

smacketyanne
03-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Rumor is Laredos had some contractor problems, but I believe they have gotten some work going in the last few weeks. Hopefully it will be done for margaritas on the patio this summer.

smacketyanne
03-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Los Palomas on 23rd and Meridian is good.

metro
03-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Rumor is Laredos had some contractor problems, but I believe they have gotten some work going in the last few weeks. Hopefully it will be done for margaritas on the patio this summer.

Actually smaketyanne, they've had contractor problems twice already. They were working out there in January, but I haven't seen them since. Work hasn't been done on the site in weeks. No telling what's going on this time. Financial problems maybe??

onemoreokie
03-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Los Palomas on 23rd and Meridian is good.

I must agree the food is amazing at Los Palomas and they will make all kinds of dishes not on the menu, you just tell them what you want. The family who owns/runs the place is very nice.

Oh and about Ken's in Amber. Made the drive from Edmond a day after eating at another chain "Outback". I'll take the Outback steak,potato,and salad over Ken's anyday. The burnt rib ends were tasty though but all in all not worth the drive IMHO.

CCOKC
03-19-2007, 07:06 PM
I would like to put my vote in for Los Mariachis on 39th and Portland and Dot Wo on Portland across the street from Will Rogers. Back when I ate meat I loved anything chicken there and beef with green beans is amazing. Now I get anything vegetable and have never been disappointed.

foxydirtprincess
03-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Taiwan on portland between nw 23rd and 36th. They have a drive through and the food is awesome! Always fresh and made when you order it. It does take a lil bit of time to get your order but it is well worth it, because your food is hot and fresh!

metro
03-20-2007, 10:47 AM
foxydirt, I've always wondered about Taiwan on Portland. What food is good there. Can you recommend a few things?

smacketyanne
03-20-2007, 12:40 PM
We've eaten at Taiwan for years...it is a great hole in the wall.

smacketyanne
03-20-2007, 12:41 PM
I believe it's 28th and Portland.

metro
03-20-2007, 02:39 PM
smacketyanne, we've already established the location, I was asking about food recommendations and what she recommends to order there.

TomGirl
03-20-2007, 07:44 PM
I've been to Hawaiian Don's, had a blast! I like the little hole-in-the-wall Thai restaurants. Someplace Else Deli....oh, and I'm drawn to any and every hole-in-the-wall coffee shop in the city like a zombie!

smacketyanne
03-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Actually , Metro, she said somewhere between 23rd and 36th...I stated that it was at 28th.
I have liked everything that I have had there but I would never recommend anything particular to you as I have read your many restaurant reviews and do not believe we have the same tastes.
It's been proposed and seconded... it's always a good day to try something new.

kr8zytiger
09-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Vivo! Italian Restaurant 122nd and rockwell

HOT ROD
10-03-2007, 02:48 AM
Hi Everyone.

Just returned from my 2nd trip to OKC this year, and I thought I might post this question here.

Does anybody know a restaurant in OKC where you can get Turkey Legs (like you can at the fair/arts festival)? Is there a restaurant or store where you can buy them? It's ok if its frozen, we want to bring them back to Seattle (since we have no such places here).

Also, does anyone know of any Native American/American Indian cuisine restaurant(s) in the city? I think this is somewhere where OKC is definitely missing out on - since OKC is Indian Territory, you'd think there would be some American Indian cuisine.

I appreciate any suggestions - we enjoy the culinary offerings of OKC by the way!

Martin
10-03-2007, 05:36 AM
i think you can buy smoked turkey legs in some grocery stores around here... that might be your best bet next time you visit.

i don't know of any restaurants in okc that serve native american cuisine. and i'm not counting indian tacos. though i would imagine that true native american cuisine would be quite simple, relying more on the ingredients available in a given region, rather than having an overall style of it's own.

-M

CuatrodeMayo
10-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Lupe's Mexican Restaurant. Douglas Blvd between SE 15th and Reno. Best free queso among others things.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Lupe's Mexican Restaurant. Douglas Blvd between SE 15th and Reno. Best free queso among others things.

I've eaten there...Good stuff.

foodiefan
10-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Super Cao Nguyen has run an ad in the Gazette the last couple of weeks: "Still suffering from State Fair Withdrawl (sic)? Smoked Turkey Legs. . .We Have Your Fix"! $3.99 per leg. No, I don't work for there. Not sure how close they would be to the State Fair fare, but their prepared food is usually very good.

metro
10-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I've seen turkey legs in some grocery stores and at Sams Club from time to time. Not sure about American Indian fare but that is kind of mind boggling that it's not more common. You can get Indian Taco's at Tim's Restaurant (been there forever) at NW 50th and MacArthur.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I've seen turkey legs in some grocery stores and at Sams Club from time to time. Not sure about American Indian fare but that is kind of mind boggling that it's not more common. You can get Indian Taco's at Tim's Restaurant (been there forever) at NW 50th and MacArthur.

X2...That crosses my mind from time to time. I don't even know what American Indian food is. I guess buffalo and berries. :D

I wonder why Boll Weevil restaurants aren't around here? Buffalo burgers are great.

ewoodard
10-04-2007, 12:23 PM
15th St. Grill in MWC on 15th across from McDonald's has great onion burgers.

Jack Wonder
10-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Jim's Restaurant on the corner of NW39th & Council. Great homemade pies, and an unbeatabe breakfast menu. But's it's the cafe (cuh-fay) atmosphere, and the always full coffee cup that makes this place special! :)

metro
10-05-2007, 09:07 AM
I love Jims Restaurant on 39th and Council, although it's not quite as good as it used to be. You can't beat their breakfast served anytime. I also highly recommend their icecream. They serve it old fashioned style like my grandma used to. It comes in vanilla squares (think like a klondike bar) and they serve it with old fashioned chocolate syrup. And the good thing about Jim's is its very cheap. I could have a full breakfast plate, Omlette, bacon, toast, and dessert of icecream for like $5-$6.

Karried
10-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Ice cream dessert for breakast? I've died and gone to heaven! lol, I'll have to check that out.

metro
10-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Well Karried, I usually order the breakfast for lunch or dinner but yeah, you could order it early too! It's like an old fashioned diner you can order burgers, sandwiches, soup, etc or breakfast anytime of day. I prefer the breakfast. Much better than Jimmy's Egg or IHOP.

diesel
10-05-2007, 02:28 PM
El Rodeo II - 405-491-0911
5822 NW 50th Street which is 50th and Macarthur.. In the small hispanic shopping center just east of Macarthur on 50th.. Very good food.. Great service and always filled with a mixed crowd!!

Napoleon Deli - 405-732-6773
1120 S Douglas Blvd in MWC.. North of 15th on Douglas.. East side of the road.. Great french baguettes and other types of french food.. Pasta and the like.. Their tuna and apple sub is to die for!! Great service and food.. They have weird hours.. They are open until like 2 pm or 3 pm.. Usually filled to the brim with Tinker folks during lunch hours.. Closed on the weekend I believe..