View Full Version : Animal Owners In Lawton Barking Mad

OKCMann
02-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Lawton City leaders signed off on an ordinance that has a lot of people barking mad. The proposal would require anyone owning a cat or dog over six months old to have it spayed or neutered. The only exception is if the owner has a breeding permit and special license. The permit would cost $250 while the license is $100 with a $75 annual renewal fee. The ordinance will take effect in 30 days.

I think this is a crock! Is the city going to pay for all of these precedures? Should this be a mandatory policy? This is just another intrusion into the lives of private citizens by the govt!:congrats:

mranderson
02-15-2007, 03:51 PM
I think this is a crock! Is the city going to pay for all of these precedures? Should this be a mandatory policy? This is just another intrusion into the lives of private citizens by the govt!:congrats:

If some people will not take responsibility, then I think they should be forced. There are many other areas that could be mandatory as well.

I hope this flys. Then Oklahoma City can do the same... Then state law... Then federal law.:tiphat:

OKCMann
02-15-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm not against people getting this done. I think the overall effect will be good. I'm simply against the govt telling something else we need to do. Hide your dogs Lawton citizens!

Bobby H
02-16-2007, 08:24 AM
Did you know that animal shelters must put more than 100 million dogs and cats to death every year? The vast majority of those animals are exterminated due to human laziness and neglect.

I, too, don't like the government butting into the lives of the general public. However, there are certain matters where the public just fails miserably at policing itself. Managing the pet population is definitely one of those cases.

It doesn't cost very much to get a pet spayed or neutered. There's often times where various humane societies will do the procedure for free.

IMHO, there's a lot of people out there who have no business whatsoever in owning pets. I know people who have brought home puppies from a flea market one week only to stick the animal in the dog pound the next week. That's just inexcusable.

SoonerBent
02-16-2007, 12:47 PM
I really wanted to write something of my own but I can't say it any better than Bobby H did.

Easy180
02-16-2007, 01:50 PM
IMHO, there's a lot of people out there who have no business whatsoever in owning pets. I know people who have brought home puppies from a flea market one week only to stick the animal in the dog pound the next week. That's just inexcusable.

Case in point....Neighbors when I moved in had a cocker spaniel chained since they had yet to build a fence (Guess they were waiting for me to pay for the entire fence, but that's another story)....Got rid of that dog and now have a 4 lb miniature poodle that they keep outside even at night in the winter!

Feel bad for that little thing since he is as big as a cat and is kept outside...Why buy a mini dog and throw him in the backyard?...Doesn't make sense

Just wish there had to be a test of some kind before people are able to purchase pets

mranderson
02-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Case in point....Neighbors when I moved in had a cocker spaniel chained since they had yet to build a fence (Guess they were waiting for me to pay for the entire fence, but that's another story)....Got rid of that dog and now have a 4 lb miniature poodle that they keep outside even at night in the winter!

Feel bad for that little thing since he is as big as a cat and is kept outside...Why buy a mini dog and throw him in the backyard?...Doesn't make sense

Just wish there had to be a test of some kind before people are able to purchase pets

You are saying a "miniature" poodle was four pounds? That either had to be a very young puppy or a teacup. Miniatures are bigger than four pounds. So are toys.

Easy180
02-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Guessing it was a teacup then....Had never seen a poodle that small, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't still a puppy

muppetkiller
12-20-2007, 09:57 PM
I actually think it's a decent law. My daughter has a gorgeous lab that was abused as a puppy. She has spent tons of money and time on the dog. I was shocked to find she's not had her spayed! In my daughter's case, she chose to get the dog healthy and get shots. The dog is 9 months old and beautiful. She should be spayed.

It's a good law, along with licensing and shots.