View Full Version : Heater/furnace trouble? Just bought my house dangett!

CMSturgeon
02-01-2007, 12:57 PM
My heater, well you could say it works really well. Meaning, my husband and I basically have to play with the on/off switch to get it to turn on. When it does turn on it blasts full capacity for like 5-10 minutes, until it gets too hot to stand, and then shuts off. Instead of regulating the temperature throughout the hour, it seems to have a mind of it's own. We bought a new thermostat & it still didn't help.

Anyone have a similar problem? Really I am wondering if someone can recommend a good HVAC person to come check it out? I've already received a quote of $60 just to come look at it but I always hear horror stories of people getting screwed in this area.

Karried
02-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Did you get a home warranty when you bought your house?

drumsncode
02-01-2007, 01:30 PM
I'd just look in the Yellow pages and read their ads carefully. All of them charge a small fortune just to come out. 60 actually sounds cheap. Go with a big firm, not some tiny place that has no history.

Regardless, sounds like you need to get this checked out soon. A gas-fired heater is not something to mess around with. You are betting your life at worst, or a possible fire.

CMSturgeon
02-01-2007, 02:16 PM
No, I bought my house as is, it was a foreclosure home. I only went that route because I lived with my parents in this house when they rented it for a year and a half before the land lord filed bankruptcy. So I know all about the house. I knew there might be a problem with the heater. I've been told it's the wire leading into the thermostat. My stepdad knows a guy who knows a guy, so I may try that.