View Full Version : Edmond Crime Rate

CMSturgeon
01-26-2007, 03:17 PM
I did no prior investigation to my posting other than watching the news. I swear I see a news clip about someone being robbed in Edmond every week. My boss argues they only high light it because it's such an upscale community and it's happening there. Makes sense to me. So what people get robbed in OKC and other places that often without news coverage? (No insult to Edmond, I love Edmond)

Karried
01-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Makes sense to me... some in Edmond are rich... the city has a lot of wealth and a lot of valuables to steal.

I guess if I were a criminal, I would go to an area where the 'pickens' would be in abundance - lol

But I hear of criminal activity across the state - everywhere .. there will be thieves all over .. easy money compared to working for your money.. it sucks to work your whole life and have a lowlife just waltz into your business and take what they feel like..I say lock them up and throw away the key.

onemoreokie
01-26-2007, 06:48 PM
I agree with you that Edmond is on the news almost every night, mostly highlighting a petty crime that takes place all over OKC most everyday. Maybe you can chalk it up to the over talkative police spokeswoman or the news stations wanting to show no place is above this type of criminal activity. Who knows...
I know one thing I feel safer in Edmond than most other parts of the city.

One other thing, I was getting my hair cut at one of the cheapie places and the guy cutting it was from their store on North May and he went on and on about how much nicer the clients in Edmond were to deal with. I thought that was interesting...but I can't say I'm surprised, people are generally really friendly around these parts.

Karried
01-27-2007, 01:49 PM
This was actually a pretty well thought out scam .. until they got caught.

Three arrested in shoplifting scheme

By Diana Baldwin
Staff Writer

EDMOND — Three people were arrested after police said they tried an elaborate scam to steal merchandise from an Edmond Wal-Mart.

The trio entered the Wal-Mart at 1225 W Interstate-35 Frontage Road and filled two shopping carts with identical sets of merchandise, including Plasma high definition televisions. One person went through the check-out with one of the carts and paid for the merchandise, according to an Edmond police report released this week.

After taking the merchandise to a vehicle in the parking lot, the person brought the receipt back inside the store and gave it to his partner, who was waiting with the second cart of merchandise. That receipt was shown to the employee manning the door to convince them the second cart of merchandise was paid for. It was then taken from the store, the report shows.

The plan didn't work because a Wal-Mart security official was watching them and arrested the suspects after they left the building.

Nickole Eldean Phillips, 18, Eufaula, and Sherry Renee McCarroll, 27, and James Vernon Deere, 24, both of Bixby, were arrested on complaints of obtaining property by false pretense, trick or deception. McCarroll also was arrested on a McIntosh County warrant for obtaining services by bogus check.
Kathleen Rose Deere, 24, Tulsa, was waiting in a vehicle in the parking lot with her two sons, ages 3 and 2. Investigators said they found some of the Wal-Mart merchandise involved in the scam in her car. She was arrested on three McIntosh County warrants for failing to appear in driving under suspension and seat belt violation cases and for failing to pay her fines and cost in a larceny of gas case.
Her children were taken into state custody until she could make bail, the report shows.

Kathleen Deere told police they were in debt and knew someone who would pay $600 for one of the televisions. She admitted to investigators that she worked at Wal-Mart and knew how the system worked and said they had been running their sham for awhile at different stores, according to police reports.
Police reported finding a map of the Oklahoma City area with the location of Wal-Mart stores marked.

onemoreokie
01-27-2007, 03:30 PM
That is an impressive scheme, glad they got busted.
I wonder how many times they have gotten away with that little trick before?

BailJumper
01-27-2007, 04:29 PM
That's nothing new. A group has been traveling all across the country doing something almost identical at Sam's Clubs and they estimate they have made off with millions.

It is reportedly a large organized effort.

People go into Sam's and note item UPC numbers, prices and sales tax rates. They buy a few small items to get an authentic receipt.

They then go to their hotel room and with a laptop, printer and receipt paper print out their own receipts.

They then use the receipt as a shopping list and grab everything they need (mostly computers, TV's and expensive tools).

They simply walk out the door and hand the receipt to the little old lady at the door. She reviews the receipt, marks it with a pen and tells them to have a nice evening.

Works better than WalMart because Sam's doesn't use theft alarms.

I hear Sam's has been trying to stop them for a couple of years with no luck since they hit all over the country and randomly.

I sent correspondence to Sam's and recommended they use hand held scanners at their entrances and scan each members card as they enter the store. This would help them know who was in the store when the scam was pulled and from that they could see patterns of out of state members visiting stores all over the country.

Second, I think they should have their receipts printed with a unique bar code that is scanned on exiting the store. This would ensure the receipt is real and many cash registers offer this feature.

I guess enough hasn't been stolen to equal the cost of extra security. Then again, they just pass the cost on to you and I.

brianinok
01-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Perhaps another reason crime in Edmond is highlighted so much is the physical location of the town. It is just north on Broadway Ext'n from the Oklahoman hq and all the local tv stations. It is really easy for them to hop in a car at the station and be in the middle of Edmond in 5-10 minutes.

TomGirl
01-28-2007, 07:22 PM
I've lived way North for about 3 years now. Just South of Edmond. The drivers are crazy and driving into Edmond is like driving your own car into Manhattan. I too see reports of crime, but at the same time, hear stories of how many people are swarming to Edmond. I would like to go back to the Yukon/Mustang area. I had neighbors that would stand outside and talk to each other, here, the gates are shut at sundown and I don't see as much as a person sitting on their porch. I'm really lonely up here. I live in a "country club" neighborhood but not a member of the country club. I'm sure that's the reason, but I'm not into a politial lifestyle. Everyone wants to live a better life...but is this really better or just plastic?

jman253
04-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Hm thats weird because I live in Edmond and we live in a nice middle to upper scale neighborhood and we have 4 neighborhood block parties a year, several get togethers in the driveways with BBq's throughout the year and we all contact each other and have nights out on the town etc. Maybe it is just the particular neighborhood you are in????

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
04-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Crime can happen anywhere. Just ask any police officer.

I think it happens in Edmond more than it should because people do not pay attention to obvious precautions. They lull themselves into thinking "I am in Edmond. Crime never happens here."

It amazes me how many people share their alarm code, never use the security switch on their garage door opener, leave their doors unlocked, or leave valuables in their car.

It also amazes me how many people do not take advantage of extra police patrols when they wil be out of town. All you have to do is call or stop by the police station. They will send a patrol car by at random times to make sure everything is ok.