View Full Version : What would you replace Heritage Park Mall with?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

bombermwc
01-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Hello-----the Hospital bought Target practically before Target even left. There's no myster why Westlake and Target made their moves....it wasn't kept a secret. The hospital has been aquiring land over towards Parklawn for decades to try and move that direction in growth.

Wal-Mart and Albertson's were a loss. But without giving out too much detail...those structures may be gone in the next 5 years in lieu of a facility that is complelty unexpected.

The area near Reno and Air Depot is going down hill???? How? Raintree has always been a big pile of crap...even when it was new. Again, quanifying that the area is going down hill by a few stores closing?? Did you not notice the new neighborhoods that went in not 1/2 mile north of Reno....right there...within the last 5 years????

So the area is SOO bad, that people want to build new homes, apartments, retirement communities? It just doesn't add up, sorry.

I've lived in MWC my whole life too.

masonsmomma
01-14-2008, 09:09 PM
I was not aware that there was a retirement community around here. Where is it located? I would love the idea of the hospital expanding and bringing in new doctors and other buildings, so I'm for that idea. But all the empty buildings are eyesores and don't look good, sorry if you think they look great. I did notice the gated neighborhood that's near the church, it's great, but what's it doing for the low income families that surround this area? I think I'd like to see something being done for the low income families around here, helping them get what they need. Legacy apartments came but they are for the people that can afford over $600 dollars for a one bedroom. I'd like to see new apartments that are affordable be built.

What are they planning on doing with the Wal-Mart area?

bombermwc
01-15-2008, 09:25 AM
The retirement home has been on Air Depot since about 1998 I think. It looks like a very large home. Just west of Air Depot before you head into the neighborhood there across from the firestation...ish. I never remember the street name. When it was built, the area around it was just fields....that's all homes.

The arguements don't seem to balance though. The area there south of 10th isn't really low income. When you are right there ON 10th, youre pushing the boundary lines, but it's not representative of the vast majority of the neighborhood....I promise. How can you gripe about new buildings just because they are for a different economic group? They are all sold and full, so MWC isn't having a hard time filling them. And if you want to look at low income, then you need to look more over in the origional mile.

The difference is that the folks that live in TOM have been working piece by piece on their own for a good decade to help revitalize the area. Everywhere you go, you see people who have renovated those old homes and are worknig to keep the place a nice quiet neighborhood. I guarantee they have less money than anyone in your neighborhood. They even attracted investment in the old Uptown Center to start renovations and expansions there. Again, that area is far more economically deprived than the Country Estates neighborhood (not to be confused with the elementary school).

Motivation is the key here. It's not the city's responsibility to level everyone's playing field. If you want to make changes, you have to start at the bottom and look at what you as an individual can do to make changes. It all starts with talking to civic leaders to discuss what you think can help. If you see something going on, talk to a councilman about what can be done to change it. They do listen...lots of stuff has happened around MWC because of that sort of effort.

Commercially, I can tell you that the chamber and the city do what they can to attract businesses. The economical development center has an amazing amount of publically available information that you can look at. They try a lot harder than most of the OKC suburbs to attract businesses to MWC. It's more of a little here and a little there to fill in rather than big jobs like 29th.

As for Wal-Mart, I can't really talk about it. It's far from being a done deal...more exploratory right now. But it's something we've needed for quite some time.

metro
01-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Keep in mind lifechurch.tv purchased the old Dillards and plans to develop it into a campus later this year. I'm sure this along with the property company willing to market the property, we'll see some sort of mixed use development.

masonsmomma
01-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Well thanks for the information, I'd really just like to see some improvement around this general area. You seem to know some dirt on the Wal-mart thing, and it seems to be something that will benefit the city!

oneforone
01-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Keep in mind lifechurch.tv purchased the old Dillards and plans to develop it into a campus later this year. I'm sure this along with the property company willing to market the property, we'll see some sort of mixed use development.

I am looking forward to seeing the 900th statue of Pastor Craig posing like the Jesus statue in Rio.

Lauri101
01-16-2008, 11:01 PM
I am looking forward to seeing the 900th statue of Pastor Craig posing like the Jesus statue in Rio.

OMG! LMFAO!

Maybe we'll even get an auographed picture of Jesus!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-16-2008, 11:09 PM
OMG! LMFAO!

Maybe we'll even get an auographed picture of Jesus!

Just look closer at your grilled cheese.

oneforone
01-17-2008, 03:29 PM
I am looking forward to seeing the 900ft statue of Pastor Craig posing like the Jesus statue in Rio.

Just for clarification I meant to post 900ft statue not 900th.

mmonroe
03-27-2008, 01:41 AM
Wow, so much information.. so little time.

Just to point out a few things, I believe Anthony's store on Reno and Sooner is a nice addition to that area. I was there when it was painted, I was there when the signs went up, and I was there when it was being renovated. As a matter of fact, Anthony was my sunday school teacher when I was in kindergarten. His living space above the store is really very nice, you should have seen it before the renovation. Anthony went for big on the neon signs because midwest city has an issue with tall signs and passed an ordinance where they can only be so big, so instead we get these little short signs all over midwest city with thirty different store name displays on them (i.e. Look down Air Depot). But they don't have an ordinance against flag poles, Anthony wanted to stick out, and so he had a huge flag pole put in. Nice.

Chick-Fil-A is still open inside of HPM. The one on 29th and the in HPM is owned by two different people. Btw, if you're looking for a job, the owner of the one on 29th said he was looking for AM, apparently, not many people have applied for that.

A lesser known church inside HPM, New Life Church was in the process with Hobby Lobby of purchasing the old Dilliards building and was just about to sign purchasing when LifeChurch.tv swooped in and bidded .5 million higher and stole the real estate and now LifeChurch.tv plans to just sit on it. How nice, the bigger church stealing from a small church. Pretty crappy in my opinion. I have no respect for that.

More office space... Nick Harroz built the Cherry Center and to date, still has a lot of open space to lease. I don't know what the cost per sf is, but it must be too high to afford.

As far as the future of HPM, it's been bought and sold 3 seperate times, the latest to a california based company who planned on renovating it by tearing out the south side and replacing it with glass fronts, guess thats not going to happen, besides all the tacky colors and paints used to try and make it more aesthetically pleasing. With the three anchors holding down HPM, all owned independently from the mall itself, i doubt it will be torn down.

I'm honestly surprised Pelicans hasn't relocated to the 29th street corridor. It's a nice restraunt.

On another note, i've lived in Midwest City all of my life ever since I was born at midwest regional, wasn't called midwest regional at the time, and lived on Arnold street, to all the times and area's we moved and lived in the different parts of midwest city. I still live in midwest city, and i'm glad to see the development thats happening. My only concern is do we have enough financial support and the right demographics to support and promote a healthy growing suburb? When people talk about Oklahoma City and metro areas, we hear more about Edmond and Norman. If any mention of the area of Midwest City is heard, it's called Tinker. I just feel Midwest City is a diamond in the rough and only a stones throw from OKlahoma City, but only blocked by the eyesore of Del City.

On a third thought for the night, I would say that I would like to see the homes behind the 29th street development to be bought out at a fair market price, bull dozed and a nice new housing addition built in. We see a lot of growth in the residential area on the out skirts of town, even south on sooner towards norman/southeast okc is booming in residential neighborhoods. I believe the houses could be a quick sale because of it's location to shopping and I-40, not to mention raising property value of the area.

Words? Thoughts?

Do remember, that these are my OPINIONS.

bombermwc
03-27-2008, 07:13 AM
I don't think you'll ever get anyone on the Origional Mile idea. That place is packed thick with housing...much more dense than anything you would see today. That dense building means there are a LOT more homes to buy out, and believe it or not, people really like living there. It's a quiet neighborhood and it's safe. It may not be the prettiest homes you've seen, but the people that live there enjoy it and don't complain. They may be 60 year old cracker-box homes, but a huge number of people have either kept thier homes in good condition or have renovated them. I can't tell you how many people had their first home in that neighborhood....and still do.

Like any neighborhood, it has it's good and bad parts, but If you drive around and look at how many people have really put effort into their homes in the last 10 years, I think you'd see it's not as bad as it appears. It's not a 100K home neighborhood, but I don't think it should be bulldozed by any means. Let me see a plan to bulldoze everything north of 10th and I'll sign it. The homes may be bigger, but the crime is terrible up there...plus it's OKCPS.

mmonroe
03-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Don't get me wrong, i've lived in this neighborhood and grew up in this neighborhood. I'm really into urban renewal though, and i'd like to see midwest city move up. As a matter of fact, I still live in this neighborhood on E. Jacobs.

Lauri101
03-27-2008, 05:02 PM
I don't think you'll ever get anyone on the Origional Mile idea. That place is packed thick with housing...much more dense than anything you would see today. That dense building means there are a LOT more homes to buy out, and believe it or not, people really like living there. It's a quiet neighborhood and it's safe. It may not be the prettiest homes you've seen, but the people that live there enjoy it and don't complain. They may be 60 year old cracker-box homes, but a huge number of people have either kept thier homes in good condition or have renovated them. I can't tell you how many people had their first home in that neighborhood....and still do.

Like any neighborhood, it has it's good and bad parts, but If you drive around and look at how many people have really put effort into their homes in the last 10 years, I think you'd see it's not as bad as it appears. It's not a 100K home neighborhood, but I don't think it should be bulldozed by any means. Let me see a plan to bulldoze everything north of 10th and I'll sign it. The homes may be bigger, but the crime is terrible up there...plus it's OKCPS.

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Well said, Bombermwc!

I happen to live in one of those "crackerbox" homes - although mine is no longer a crackerbox thanks to a 500 sf room addition. The ol' "hood" is nice, quiet and definitely safer than anything north of 10th Street.

I bought my house for under $25k, 27 years ago. It's worth three times that now and I'll likely make my next move to either a nursing home or pine box. We may not have fancy homes, but the builder who did my room addition said they don't build homes nearly as sturdy now as they did in 1953. I'm on W. Rickenbacker, which is a pleasant walk to Town Center.

Back on topic - what lifechurchtv did was despicable, but I think most religion is pretty worthless - my opinion.
Ramen :bow:

mmonroe
03-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Like I said, don't get me wrong, I live in this neighborhood too, I started out over on Arnold when I was a baby, moved around to E Ercoupe, W Douglas, Givens Dr, E Lockheed, and now E Jacobs.

bombermwc
03-28-2008, 07:29 AM
I'd love to see HPM dozed and a new neighborhood put in personally. We'd get some frontage back for small businesses or whatever too.

Or like I've said before, give us a new 6-7 floor office tower that we really do need. Office space in MWC is full and they keep building those stupid house-sized places...yuk. Just look off both Douglas and Post.

Or maybe we could build a MWC football stadium???? Municpal place so we can doze the crapfest that are the mid-del fields and then we can host events like UCO does. Pipe dream...but whatever.

mmonroe
03-28-2008, 01:35 PM
You'd still have to have someone with deep pockets to buy out the three anchors of HPM to do it, not to mention Whataburger and Pelicans in the parking lots...

The Cherry Center still has a lot of space to rent out...

I'd like to see the baseball field by the Vo-Tech replaced with an expanded campus of the Mid-Del Vo-Tech. There were talks about the District buying the land west of the campus where Furr's was, but no dice. Or, what about getting rid of the old skating rink?

6-7 floor office towers does sound nice.

derbynurse
06-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Well how about we think about something that doesn't involve a red light district and talk about something that actually has a chance to work.

And the next time someone suggests something like that, why dont you ask how you would feel if it were across the street from your house.

Agreed! I live in the housing addition behind HP Mall and the last thing we need is to see one of the last really nice neighborhoods in MWC go to heck in a handbasket. :)

bombermwc
06-11-2008, 02:21 PM
I was poking around the OKC Chamber site today and found this little snippet of information I think most people here would be interested in.

"Midwest City also has the highest median income in the State."

Those of you that continually do so, remember that the next time you start bashing my home.

kevinpate
06-11-2008, 02:28 PM
but, but, but, isn't that already why they bash mwc?!?!?!

mmonroe
06-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Median Income?

Lauri101
06-11-2008, 03:54 PM
I was poking around the OKC Chamber site today and found this little snippet of information I think most people here would be interested in.

"Midwest City also has the highest median income in the State."

Those of you that continually do so, remember that the next time you start bashing my home.

Atta' boy, bombermwc - you tell 'em for all of us! :boxing2:

Oh, and:
Median is a mathematical result that indicates that one half of the group is higher and one half lower.

mmonroe
06-11-2008, 04:12 PM
I know what Median is.. I'm talking about, how do you have a high medium?

Geez, mean medium mode

Redskin 70
06-12-2008, 06:10 AM

Geez, mean medium mode

Go to school, dont wear your hat side wise, talk with your mouth and not your fingers.
Do what your told and do it well. Dont cause something to be re done.
Dont bad mouth your employerer within ear shot of the work place and never never with fellow employees
Go to work on time and stay late if requested.
Seems to work for most people.
Oh yeah and it takes years to............COmeing outa high school wont automatically get you a 6 figure job:tiphat:

But this thread was about heritage park mall.
Keep the sears............................................. .......

mmonroe
06-12-2008, 06:26 AM
What are you talking about. You seem to never make any kind of sense at all.

Redskin 70
06-12-2008, 09:52 PM
What are you talking about. You seem to never make any kind of sense at all.
I have no idea.. Dont worry about it as it just to beyond any way......:tiphat:

bombermwc
06-13-2008, 09:11 AM
So the basic point here is, that all these places that talk about having all this money, also have a lot of poor people too. You would think a city like Edmond would have a high median income, but apparently not. That shows how for each of those high income folks, there are plenty very poor people as well.

Now, turn this into a zip code thing, and you'll see a different picture I'm sure. Then you can isolate parts of Edmond or OKC, but don't have to take it as whole.

I'm not trying bash anyone or anything, I'm just repeating my usual spiel about how people underestimate MWC because they don't know anything about it. They just make a judgement based on driving through it on I-40 or something. There is a lot about MWC people dont see....which is what brings that median income up.

Thunder
06-13-2008, 12:50 PM
I like MWC, but I'm raised in Del City. I'll always bash MWCHS, cuz I attended to DCHS. Sorry, the Eagles disarmed the bombs. :D

...talk with your mouth and not your fingers.

BTW, don't talk with our fingers? How do you want the deafies to speak? LoL

mmonroe
06-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Keyboards.

Redskin 70
06-13-2008, 10:08 PM
BTW, don't talk with our fingers? How do you want the deafies to speak? LoL

I dont believe I was talking about the hearing impaired, just moron's
I also believe this thread had more to do with economics and heritage than morons..........Tag your it............lolololol:tiphat:

Jesseda
06-17-2008, 07:53 AM
maybe they can convert it into a outlet mall

bombermwc
06-18-2008, 01:18 PM
That would be a nice idea....like a Mills Mall Jr.

mmonroe
06-18-2008, 04:56 PM
For that to get the type of support it needs, we'd have to bring up the surrounding areas...

bombermwc
06-19-2008, 08:35 AM
I don't think the neighborhood has anything to do with it. There are only 2 empty businesses anywhere near there. Pep Boys (which went bankrupt) and Popeye's...wooo fast food, big loss.

Since we don't have any real outlet malls in the state, I think that would be a more accurate representation of what would need to change. However, I don't see it happening because outlet malls are losing their customers all over the country. People aren't going to them nearly as much because they tend to be built farther out from metros...higher gas prices means less traveling. Think about how many fewer people go to Gainsville than used to.

That's why I like Mills Malls because they take the cocept indoors, and but it in an urban environment. Benefits of a mall (ie not outside in a strip center like most outlets), and youre IN town.

Lauri101
06-19-2008, 05:09 PM
That would be a nice idea....like a Mills Mall Jr.

My favorite is Grapevine Mills, but it is so huge!

I think you're on to something - now, how do we get the developers to notice?

mmonroe
06-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Everything, to be successful, has to have people, ie neighborhoods. The type of people in those neighborhoods dictate the type of success for a business and THE type of business to come in. Would you place a JC Penny's on the east side of OKC right at oh... i don't know, 16th and MLK? Of course not, the business would not be supported and people don't want to go into that neighborhood. This is my point.

Sure, Air Depot between 15th and Reno has a LOT of business, but it's cluttered, tacky, and starting to look a bit dated.

North on reno you have odd department stores and rental places. Also included is an obscure shopping center, apartments, funeral homes, and to the far, a nice Apartment complex [mark that as a point for your debate]. But to the east of that, an older community, and NE, the hoodlum area, also know as Panick Zone and Murder 1.

Sure, just to the north of Heritage Park Mall, there are nice early '60s houses.

On the south side of reno heading west, you have an old office building, haggered looking buildings, a burnt down seafood place, a bar, on old parts yard, and apartments. On the north side of Reno heading east back towards HPM, you have Anthony's, nice, Mid-Del Pantry, houses, a church, apartments and a small office house. Then, What-A-Burger.

Did you get the message i'm trying to convey here?

bombermwc
06-20-2008, 08:04 AM
I think you are over-criticising the area. If that were the case, then why the crap would anyone have built on 29th? It was FAR worse off by any measure.

Plus the neighborhood directly behind Heritage is a VERY nice neighborhood. Just because the homes were built in the 60's and 70's doesn't make it bad. It's one of the best places to live in MWC.....nice homes, quiet, low traffic inside the neighborhoods, easy access to 3 main roads. One of, if not THE top rated elementary schools in the district.

Plus I would disagree on most of the points on homes/businesses. Again, North Air Depot. If it's so bad, why are all those new neighborhoods right there within the last 2-3 years? Why is the newest and best apartment complex ( a legacy complex for goodness sake) right there? Other than that, we have one funeral home that needs a little help. But that's it.

Plus South of Reno has been redeveloped in many places. They've torn down some of the old buildings in favor of new ones...ie those crappy house looking places....Aldi taking the old vaccum place. I don't see the "crappy" stuff youre talking about.

West, yeah Captain D's burned down...it's also been bulldozed. It is one of the least appealing views of MWC, but it's also got one of the other best apartments in MWC and even more of the nice neighborhoods. But again, there's been new development there in the Masters Commision next to Anthony's.

East, it's normal everyday stuff. Houses, Braums, Crest, etc. Nothing weird there to complain about.

Now, if MWC was stagnant and nothing was happening, I would totally agree. HOWEVER, all these areas continue to develop and grow. They may not always be developed in the most flashy way, but they aren't being left to deteriorate by any means. Just because we don't have lifestyle centers going in on every corner, doesn't mean it's bad. For someone that lives in MWC, I would think you would be more in touch with what the city has been doing. It's totally not the ghetto people think at all. i don't even consider the area north of 10th part of MWC...it's OCPS and is totally ghetto. It was a self defeating area as soon as it became OCPS.

andy157
06-20-2008, 09:03 AM

Geez, mean medium modemmonroe, I'm not being criticle, but just trying to point out your misread of the post. bombermwc did not say that MWC had a high median income, he/she said they have the highest in the state. According to the C of C that is.

Drake
06-20-2008, 04:26 PM
I don't think the closing of Pep Boys (the only one in Okla closed), Popeyes, and Captain D's (burned yes, but will not be rebuilt), Dillards and going back to Circuit City (which is now a Salvation Army store - not a good trade) is going to make any major developers or retailers jump at the chance to be at Reno & Air Depot. The track record for that area is horrible the last 15 years.

Being located 2 miles off the major highway would be a tough sell

Lauri101
06-20-2008, 04:31 PM
I think you are over-criticising the area. If that were the case, then why the crap would anyone have built on 29th? It was FAR worse off by any measure.

(snip)

Now, if MWC was stagnant and nothing was happening, I would totally agree. HOWEVER, all these areas continue to develop and grow. They may not always be developed in the most flashy way, but they aren't being left to deteriorate by any means. Just because we don't have lifestyle centers going in on every corner, doesn't mean it's bad.
(snip)
i don't even consider the area north of 10th part of MWC...it's OCPS and is totally ghetto. It was a self defeating area as soon as it became OCPS.

As usual, you beat me to the punch on all points! Well said, bombermwc!:congrats:

mmonroe
06-20-2008, 11:50 PM
@bomber, 29th is on the highway, thats why it took off like it did. It was far worse, and they bulldozed it all. But what i'm really getting at is the type of business you have surrounding an establishment, dictates what business"persons" would feel would make them more money when picking a location to invest. Would you place a fine dining establishment next to a strip club and a dollar general?

I did not mention anything about the '60's houses being bad, i said they were nice.

I gave you the point for the NEW apartments, so don't be so critical.

I have seen new development.

Crappy places, how about the tag agency/pawnshop/laundry mat? Or, the cigarette/nail salon next to sonic? Then there is the bowling shop and loan place. Then we also have the old liqour store that looks like the same architect who designed Del Ranchos also did theirs. Don't even let me mention Nino's, I knew the old General Manager for the restaurant on the South Side, and let me tell you, you couldn't pay me to eat there. Filth is clean compaired to whats in there. Even better, how about the old sinclair gas station? Also, the buildings in front of the skating rink.

On reno itself, the goodwill store, need I say more?

The sign restrictions in Midwest City are horrific. Since they can not be too tall, we have midget signs that clutter the eye line of any motorist. It's crazy. I know Anthony, he told me since there were restrictions on sign highth, he decided to put a large flag since there were no restrictions from it in municipal code and people would still know he was there.

The master commission buildings are nice, i do believe funding was provided by Medowood Baptist.
I was mearly stating what is over there. Not bashing.

I am affluent with the progression in our area, but i'm not happy with the status qou. And, since I lacked mentioning it, the Outlet mall would be a great idea.

@andy, i believe you misinterpreted my understanding of the post and the reply there of. I was wanting to know HOW you have a high medium, as in, what are the factors, but no criticism taken.

@Drake, you get what i'm talking about. But they do try to sell it on the point that it's only 9 minutes from downtown. Even if the drive to and from are a bit blighted.

Redskin 70
06-22-2008, 08:22 AM
There comes a certain point where the local government has to step in and say, no more crap and no more eye paint on that piece of crap old building. Tear it down.
No more pawn shops, no more used car lots, no more flea markets, no more second hand stores.
No more. Just because a "business man" and most of them really arent, wants to put in a junk store, there is no reason the City should let that happen.
Midwest City, Del City, we are in the same boat, there has to be cooperation between the two to change the look of this part of the county. And that cooperation is occurring, trust me.
Heritage Park mall can be a great asset again.........just don't allow it to become a second hand super store...........Get involved about that issue. Contact the chamber of commerce and express your concern and thoughts. Folks there have been some truly great ideas you have posted about.......Share that vision with some one who can make it happen.
Citys have lots of power if harnessed to the same team...........
though I be a Del City citizen, I truly do miss the old Heritage Mall. But at least my(your) Sears store is still there.

Just my ramblings, it is in your court no doubt, but that building is still in great great shape, it just needs some active work to revamp.:tiphat:

bombermwc
06-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Very true Redskin. The building is in excellent condition. Not too many places can exist for 40 years and not ever be remodeled and still be that nice. It can serve a purpose, but a few things have to happen.
1 - someone needs to buy the place that will invest in it instead of bleeding it for cash like Simon did. Every cent it earned for Simon went into Penn for it's remodeling. That really pissed me off to no end. They deny it now, but it was easy to find out at the time the remodeling at Penn was going on.

2 - It needs a face lift inside. It's still dark inside with the 70's design. (and the blue junk has got to go).

3 - ACTIVELY PURSUE GOOD TENANTS. There are stores that would go there, they just have to make it happen. Get rid of all the crap in there and work on some real stores. A bookstore for god sake, come on! They just exists and don't work towards anything there. If you don't push to make something happen, you're guranteed to fall. It's like college recruiting. You can say "it's not my job to recruit", but if you don't have students, you lose your job. Same thing here...if you wait for a tenanat, you'll lose your mall.

And I still disagree mmonroe. You'll find things like you pointed out, all over town. No matter what area you go to, you'll find good/bad/ugly. I don't find the area around the mall any different from any other. Have you ever driven around Penn Square? Good god, it's crack-ville there off Classen...the same distance away! Go up north to Mayfair Village...or 63rd/May...big shopping areas. You'll find all kinds of CRAP around there too. MWC isn't any different folks. Again, I think people try to label it for some weird reason, but it's just not that way.

mmonroe
06-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Hey now, i don't try to place any label on anything. I would just like to see us advance farther. If you could get the quality of Penn, but in a better, no crack infested, area. Would you live there, or by Penn?

AND!! Heritage Park had a bookstore, but no one really went to it. How do I know, because I worked in Heritage back in the day, and Waldens just became the discount store for all the other Waldens to ship their old books too. Even then no one really bought the books.

bombermwc
06-24-2008, 07:48 AM
I never considered Walden's a bookstore. They didnt ever even have crap in any of their stores. And they were overpriced for what you got too. I was glad to see them go. I'd go to Amazon before I went there.

mmonroe
06-24-2008, 07:58 AM
I get tired of going all the way to NW Expressway or SOMEWHERE along Memorial to get what I want... i'm tired of driving. What do we have to do to get some business here.

Drake
06-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Shop here when we do get something.

One of the main reasons Circuit City closed the MWC location was due to the fact that they were doing a more business at the I-240 location from MWC people than at the MWC store.

The indoor malls are mostly relics in the retail world. We have 1 really successful one (Penn) and a bunch of struggling ones. We are not unique in that area.

I'm just not sure you ever see athe area at Reno & Air Depot become a major retail center again.. Most retail is built similar to SE 29th with visiabilty from a major highway. The growth in eastern Oklahoma County is toward the SE. The area 1/2 mile north the intersection hurts it. For most people (especially the subdivisions w the larger homes) that is not a convenient to get to. Many people close to 240 will just get on and drive to the southside.

bombermwc
06-25-2008, 10:00 AM
I shop in MWC whenever possible for sure. I can generally get it all done here now...thanks to 29th. I still venture into Heritage for GNC...but even with that I can find stuff online cheaper (with shipping).

I think my first choice would still be to bulldoze it and make a neighborhood.

mmonroe
06-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Well, Life Church did buy the Dilliards building.

Lauri101
06-26-2008, 02:36 AM
Well, Life Church did buy the Dilliards building.

It'd be nice if they could turn it into a place of actual ministry - to youth, families who need food or other assistance.

Ehhh...the bulldozing idea would probably help the community more than what is happening now.

Redskin 70
06-26-2008, 06:31 AM
laurie,
I do disagree about the church thing. The rest I will leave unsaid.
Bull dozing should not be an option for this structure and do consider it still has section line road status.
The concept of placing a neighborhood there may have merit but would not cash flow as acquisition of the property would be high and the utilities in place are not positioned for a res development.
Now I would not be saying that it the structure were 50 + years old. Then the condition might warrant such a expenditure.
The primary thing is getting some good tenets in there. Anchors like the past.
The down side is all the major tenets you could attract are now clustered on 29th.......so............The majority of the neighbor hood is not a problem as it is still aggressivly watched for code violations.
Ah so much to say,,,,Perhaps in the short term the removal of this building would be a good thing but ................not my decision.:tiphat:

bombermwc
06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately, i think we're stuck with the place....as is.

mmonroe
06-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Lets just get active and start writing letters and calling.

Something has to be done... is there not a community board set up with the CofC?

Lauri101
06-27-2008, 05:00 AM
Here's the MWC Chamber of Commerce website
Midwest City Chamber of Commerce (http://www.midwestcityok.com/)

There are some contact numbers and addresses, but no online forum.

In general, I haven't seen much evidence of "community involvement" - unless you are a paying member. Understandable, of course, but you'd think a C of C of a growing city like MWC would see the value of courting a solid customer base to support the Chamber member businesses!

mmonroe
06-27-2008, 07:44 PM
I'll get to work finding out something...

ewoodard
06-30-2008, 02:12 PM
I for one would like to see a major movie theater move in to that location. Something with about 12-15 screens so that we don't have to drive to bricktown, or into OKC to see a decent movie. I believe with new ownership, HP could be an attractive venue for shoppers with a few minor upgrades.

okcustu
07-04-2008, 12:01 AM
A dream development would be an old fashioned downtown like atmosphere with plenty of two to five story brick buildings for residential, retail, and office space and even relocate the city center I think all would appreciate something classier than the current ones 70s mall look that's my dream

route66gal
11-26-2008, 01:07 PM
They were able to bring Penn Square Mall back to life in the 80's with a classy renovation. And Shepard Mall is doing great with offices. I see both as options, but not the renovation they have on their site, I hope city council shoots that one down ! Oh my !

Bostonfan
11-26-2008, 01:59 PM
I say demolish the place. Sad? yes. But I just don't see anything working without wiping the place out and starting over.

Lauri101
11-26-2008, 05:17 PM
They were able to bring Penn Square Mall back to life in the 80's with a classy renovation. And Shepard Mall is doing great with offices. I see both as options, but not the renovation they have on their site, I hope city council shoots that one down ! Oh my !

That's the same "renovation" they've had for almost a year and it's awful - thank goodness it hasn't happened.

As much as I hate to say it, for nostalgic reasons only - Bostonfan is right. It'd be more useful in it's former incarnation as a dirt bike hangout!

mmonroe
11-28-2008, 02:17 AM
I forgot to mention awhile back that I called the chamber. I left my name and number, and NO ONE got back to me... pos.